take a shiftcare of yourself.the night shift is hard.you

小站会根据您的关注,为您发现更多,
看到喜欢的小站就马上关注吧!
下一站,你会遇见谁的梦想?
你所不了解的外国文化,你所喜爱的外国金曲,你所喜爱的外国美食,没有看不到,只有你想不到,欢迎关注英歌英语角,这里有你想要的一切!
The Person I'm Supposed to Be 我本是我
There's a wretched place depression drags me off to after taking control of my thoughts and feelings. It's the place where the longing for relief mutes every other desire, even the desire to wake up in the morning. There are days when I wonder if I'll lose everything: my job, my relationships, my last stitch of sanity. It feels as though I'm breathing hot black smoke.
Yet I believe the same depressions that pin me to the mat so often also serve a bigger purpose in my life. They don't come empty-handed. I believe the purpose of suffering is to strengthen us and help us understand the suffering of others.
At 16, my first episode hit me hard enough to think I'd literally gone to hell. Now, at 35, when I start dreaming of haunted houses and worrying uncontrollably about the future, I know another episode is looming. I've got a week's notice, maybe two. And then it's as if I'm drifting off to exile inside myself with only a shell remaining.
It used to be that rising from the ash after the depression cleared was like resurrection. The burial over, I'd catch myself laughing or looking forward to the next day. I'd pig out at my favorite deli. But now, when I look closely, I find mental illness leaving other significant gifts in its wake & things I didn't discern when I was younger.
The discovery is like that scene from The Matrix when Neo finally comprehends his identity. Through the whole film, he's been beaten up by evil agents. But the fighting transforms him into a warrior. And at the right time, he understands and uses his power. He's peaceful, even when confronting an enemy. I believe my own years of struggling with depression have left me with similar gifts: inner strength and calm I can rely on, diminished fear and compassion.
I believe the painful nights that close in on all of us in some form are the cocoons from which we might shed our weaknesses. I believe pain tells us something critical about ourselves and life: that developing strength and empathy and bravery is more essential than our personal comfort. And when I think of it like that, I'm more willing to accept suffering on its terms.
That's important, because if my pattern holds consistent, my next episode is due to arrive soon. I live with this reality, but I'm no longer afraid of it. The depression has, in the end, equipped me for its next visit & and that's enough. Of course, I'll take my medicine. I'll talk to my gifted psychiatrist. But when the dark does come, I'll stand up and breathe deeply, knowing I'm becoming the person I'm supposed to be.
Independently produced for All Things Considered by Jay Allison and Dan Gediman with Viki Merrick.
当低沉的情绪占据我的思想与感受后,它把我拉到一个悲惨的地方。在那里我唯一的渴望就是摆脱这种沮丧,我甚至不想在早上醒来。我曾经想过,如果我失去了一切:工作,家人,朋友以及最后的一丝理性,那种情形就仿佛呼吸在滚烫的黑色烟尘中。
但我相信,那种把我击倒在床垫上的沮丧,还有更大的目的。他们不是空手来的。我相信痛苦的意义就是让我们更坚强,并且让我们理解别人的痛苦。
16岁的时候,我忧郁症第一次发作,它是如此的令人痛苦以至于让我觉得我肯定完蛋了。现在,我35岁了,当我开始梦见闹鬼的房子,并且抑制不住担心未来时,我知道又一次发作正在迫近。我有一到两个星期的预警。然后我就躲进自己的世界,自我放逐,仅留下一个外壳。
曾经,从被沮丧侵袭后留下的废墟中站起来就像是一次死而复生。葬礼过去了,我要让自己高兴起来期待明天。我要大吃我最喜欢的食品。但现在,我仔细的观察, 我发现忧郁症发作时留下了其它更重要的礼物--当我小的时候没有发现的事情。
这个发现就像&骇客帝国&中,尼奥最终理解了自己的身份的那个场景。他在整部影片中一直被邪恶特工(evil agent)痛打。但这样的斗争使他成为了勇士。然后在关键时刻, 他认识到并使用了他自己的力量。他很平静,即便是面对敌人时也那样。我相信我与沮丧斗争的这些年,赋予了我相同的才能:我依靠内心的力量与平静,我不再害怕, 并且同情他人。
我相信,我们每个人都经历过被痛苦包围的夜晚,不管这些痛苦是什么, 我们都可以通过它们蜕去我们的软弱。我相信,痛苦告诉我们,一些我们自己以及生活的真谛:力量,同理心及勇气的培养,比我们自身的享受更重要。当我这样去理解痛苦时, 痛苦便不再可怕。
这很重要,因为如果我的病是持续有规律的,我的下一次发作就在眼前。我活在这样的现实中,但我不再害怕。 这些年来,沮丧已经帮我为下一次低潮的来临做好准备。这已经足够了。当然,我会吃药。我那高明的精神病医生会给我治疗。但当低潮真正来临时,我会站起来,深呼吸,知道我将成为我应该成为的那个人.
一个小女孩的梦想
Dreams keep running through my mind
一连串的梦掠过我的脑海,
Reflecting memories of long ago.
勾起我对很久以前的记忆。&
Made in a land of fairy tales,
缔造在童话里的那片乐土,
A place my heart longs for so.
是我内心非常向往的土地。
Cut off from the rest of the world
那里与其他地方没有什么联系,
With streams, and meadows to roam,
那里流淌着清澈的小溪,和可以漫游的草地。
Viewed from a little girl's eyes,
在小女孩的眼晴里,
A place that would always be home
我的家始终设在那里。
A place where berries grew wild
那里有着野生的各种浆果,
Where rabbits and squirrels were seen
那里可以看到兔子和松鼠,
Where a racoon could be a friend
那里的浣熊可以成为我的朋友,
And deer played down by the stream.
那里的鹿儿沿着溪流到处游历。
A world where imagination made all come true
想象中的世界一切都可成真,
And a little girl could be a queen
一个小女孩也可以成为女王。Where daydreams were spun like cobwebs
可是白日梦似被捻成了蜘网,
But a world where everything wasn't what it seemed.
世界上每件事远非都似想象。
For every little girl has to grow up每一个小女孩都必须长大,
And daydreams shatter in your hand,
白日梦破灭在你自己手里。
You find the home you thought was your own
你找到的家只属于你自己,
Is nothing but a simple piece of land.
不过是一小块简陋的土地。
The flowers don't seem to bloom so bright,
花儿看来不会开得这样灿烂,
And fairy tales no longer come true,
童话再也不会成真。
For it is seen now through grownup eyes,
成人的眼睛来看现在,
No longer the world that you knew.
不再是你所熟悉的那块土地。
But still...Somewhere in the back of my mind
但是....那里将会永远驻留在
That place will always remain
我心底里的某些地方。
From all those memories long ago
来自往昔的所有回忆,
To beckon me back time and again.
多次招手要我回到它那里。
The Journey of the Stream
A little stream flowed down from a high mountain far, far away through many villages and forests, until it reached a desert. The stream then thought, "I've been through countless obstacles. I should have no problem crossing this desert!" But when she decided to start her journey, she found herself gradually disappearing into the mud and sand. After numerous tries, she found it was all in vain and was very upset. "Maybe it's my destiny! I'm not destined to reach the vast ocean in the legend," she murmured dejectedly to herself.
有一条小河流从遥远的高山上流下来,经过了许多的村庄与森林,最后它来到一处沙漠。它想:「我已经越过了重重障碍,这次应该也可以越过这个沙漠吧!」当它决定越过沙漠时,却发现自己的河水渐渐消失在泥沙中,它试了一次又一次,总是徒劳无功,最后它灰心了。「也许这就是我的命运吧!我注定永远也到不了传说中那个浩瀚大海。」它颓丧地自言自语。
At this time, a deep voice came, saying, "If a breeze can cross the desert, so can a river."
此时,四周响起了一阵低沉的声音:「如果微风可以跨越沙漠,那么河流也可以。」&
It was the voice of the desert. Unconvinced, the little stream replied, "That's because a breeze can fly, but I cannot."
原来这是沙漠发出的声音。小河流很不服气地回答说:「那是因为微风可以飞过沙漠,然而,我根本飞不起来啊!」&
"That's because you stick to what you are. If you're willing to give it up, and let yourself evaporate into the breeze, it can take you across, and you can reach your destination," said the desert in its deep voice.
「因为你坚持自己原来的样子,所以你永远无法跨越这个沙漠。只要你愿意放弃现在的样子,让自己蒸发到微风中,微风就能带着你飞越过去,这样你才能到达目的地。」沙漠用它低沉的声音说道。&
The little stream had never heard of such a thing. "Give up what I am now and disappear into the breeze? No! No!" She could not accept this idea. After all, she had never experienced anything like it before. Wouldn't it be self-destruction to give up what she was now?
小河流从来不知道有这样的事情,「放弃我现在的样子,然后消失在微风中?不!不!」小河流无法接受这种概念,毕竟它从未有过这样的经验,叫它放弃现在的样子,不等于是自我毁灭了吗?&
"How do I know if this is true?" asked the little stream.
「我怎么知道这是真的?」小河流这么问。&
"The breeze can carry the vapor across the desert and release it as rain at an appropriate site. The rain will form a river again to continue its course," answered the desert very patiently.
「微风可以把水气包含在它之中,然后飘过沙漠,到了适当的地点,再把这些水气释放出来,于是就变成了雨水。然后这些雨水又会汇聚形成河流,继续向前进。」沙漠很有耐心地回答。&
"Will I still be what I am now?" asked the little stream.
「那我还是原来的河流吗?」小河流问。&
"Yes, and no. Whether you're a river or invisible vapor, your inner nature never changes. You stick to the fact that you're a river because you don't know your inner nature," answered the desert.
「可以说是,也可以说不是。不管你是一条河流或是看不见的水蒸气,你内在的本质从来没有改变。你会坚持自己是一条河流,那是因为你从来不知道自己内在的本质。」沙漠回答。&
Deep down, the stream vaguely remembered that before she became a river, it was perhaps also the breeze that had carried her halfway up a high mountain, where she turned into rain and fell onto the ground and became what she was now. Finally the little stream gathered her courage and rushed into the open arms of the breeze, which carried her to the next stage of her life.
此时小河流的心中,隐隐约约地想起了自己在变成河流之前,似乎也是由微风带着自己,飞到内陆某座高山的半山腰,然後变成雨水降落地面后,才变成今日的河流。于是小河流终于鼓起勇气,投入微风张开的双臂,消失在微风之中,它让微风带着自己,奔向生命中某一段旅程的归宿。&
The course of our lives is like the experience of little stream. If you want to surpass the obstacles in your life in order to head for the destination of Truth, Virtue and beauty, you should also have the wisdom and courage to renounce your ego (attachment to yourself).
我们的生命历程也像小河流一样,若想要跨越生命中的障碍,朝真善美的目标迈进,也必须具有「放下自我(执着)」的智慧与勇气。&
Perhaps you can try asking yourself these questions: What is my inner nature? What is it that I cling to? and What is it that I really want?
也许你可以试着问自己:我的本质是什么?我紧抓不放的是什么?我要的究竟是什么?
生活中,我们最幸福时……
In Life We Are Happiest When&
生活中,我们最幸福时
A man and his girlfriend were married. It was a large celebration.
一个男人和他的女朋友结婚,举行了一场盛大的结婚庆典。
All of their friends and family came to see the lovely ceremony and to partake of the festivities and celebrations. All had a wonderful time.&所有的朋友和家人都来到结婚典礼上参加欢宴和庆祝活动。大家都过得很开心。
The bride was gorgeous in her white wedding gown and the groom was very dashing in his black tuxedo. Everyone could tell that the love they had for each other was true.
穿着白色婚纱的新娘漂亮迷人,穿着黑色礼服的新郎英俊潇洒。每个人都能看出他们彼此的爱是真诚的。
A few months later, the wife came to the husband with a proposal, "I read in a magazine, a while ago, about how we can strengthen our marriage," she offered. "Each of us will write a list of the things that we find a bit annoying with the other person. Then, we can talk about how we can fix them together and make our lives happier together."
几个月后,妻子走近丈夫提议说:&我刚才在杂志上看到一篇文章,说的是怎样巩固婚姻。&她说:&我们两个人都各自把对方的小毛病列在一张纸上,然后我们商量一下怎样解决,以便使我们的生活更幸福。&
The husband agreed. So each of them went to a separate room in the house and thought of the things that annoyed them about the other. They thought about this question for the rest of the day and wrote down what they came up with.
丈夫同意了。于是他们各自走向不同的房间去想对方的缺点。那一天余下的里,他们都在思考这个问题,并且把他们想到的都写下来。
The next morning, at the breakfast table, they decided that they would go over their lists.
第二天早上,吃早饭的时候,他们决定谈谈彼此的缺点。
"I'll start," offered the wife. She took out her list. It had many items on it, enough to fill 3 pages. In fact, as she started reading the list of the little annoyances, she noticed that tears were starting to appear in her husband's eyes.
&我先开始吧。&妻子说。她拿出她的单子,上面列举了很多条,事实上,足足写满了三页。当她开始念的时候,她注意到丈夫眼里含着泪花。
"What's wrong?" she asked. "Nothing," the husband replied, "keep reading your list."
&怎么啦?&她问。&没什么,&丈夫答道,&继续念吧。&
The wife continued to read until she had read all three pages to her husband. She neatly placed her list on the table and folded her hands over the top of it.
妻子又接着念。整整三页都念完之后她把单子整齐地放在桌上,两手交叉放在上面。
"Now, you read your list and then we'll talk about the things on both of our lists," she said happily.
&现在该你念了,然后我们谈谈所列举的缺点。&她高兴地说。
Quietly the husband stated, "I don't have anything on my list. I think that you are perfect the way that you are. I don't want you to change anything for me. You are lovely and wonderful and I wouldn't want to try and change anything about you."
丈夫平静地说:&我什么也没写,我觉得像你这样就很完美了,我不想让你为我改变什么。你很可爱迷人,我不想让你改变。&
The wife, touched by his honesty and the depth of his love for her and his acceptance of her, turned her head and wept.
妻子被丈夫的诚实和对她深深的爱和接纳感动了,她转过头去哭起来。
In life, there are enough times when we are disappointed, depressed and annoyed. We don't really have to go looking for them. We have a wonderful world that is full of beauty, light and promise. Why waste time in this world looking for the bad, disappointing or annoying when we can look around us, and see the wondrous things before us?
生命中我们有很多的失望、沮丧和烦恼,我们根本不需要寻找。我们美妙的世界充满了、光明、希望。但是,当我们放眼四周时,为什么浪费时间寻找不快、失望和烦恼,而看不到我们面前的美好事物呢?
Life Together一生相随
One fine day, an old couple around the age of 70, walks into a lawyer&s office. Apparently, they are there to file a divorce. Lawyer was very puzzled, after having a chat with them, he got their story.
  在一个阳光明媚的日子里,一对70多岁的老夫妇走进了律师事务所。显然地,他们准备到那儿办理离婚手续。律师对这对年老的夫妇提出要离婚的事感到非常困惑。后来,跟他们交谈了之后,他得知他们之间有这样一段故事:
&&& This couple had been quarreling all their 40 over years of marriage nothing ever seems to go right.
&&&&这对夫妇从40年前结婚之日起就一直吵个不停。他们似乎找不到共同点,一切在他们看来都格格不入。&  
&&& They hang on because of their children, afraid that it might affect their up-bringing. Now, all their children have already grown up, have their own family, there&s nothing else the old couple have to worry about, all they wanted is to lead their own life free from all these years of unhappiness from their marriage, so both agree on a divorce.
  由于担心他们的离婚会给孩子的成长带来不良影响,这对老夫妇把离婚的事搁浅到现在。现在,他们的孩子都长大成人了,也有他们各自的家庭了。于是,这对老夫妇再也没有什么事可以担忧的了。他们现在渴望的就是过各自的生活,免受这些年来婚姻带给他们的种种不幸。正因为这样,两个老人都赞同通过离婚解决事情的争端。
&&& Lawyer was having a hard time trying to get the papers done, because he felt that after 40 years of marriage at the age of 70, he couldn&t understand why the old couple would still wants a divorce.
&&&&律师极其艰难地为他们拟造了一份离婚协议书,因为他觉得,经过婚后40年的相濡以沫现在两个老人都70多岁了,他就是弄不明白为什么这对老夫妇仍然坚持要离婚。
&&& While they were signing the papers, the wife told the husband. &I really love you, but I really can&t carry on anymore, I&m sorry.&
  当他们签署文件时,老夫人遗憾地告诉丈夫:&我真的很爱你,但我再也不能忍受下去了,我非常抱歉。&
&&& &It&s OK, I understand.& said the husband. Looking at this, the lawyer suggested a dinner together, just three of them, wife thought, why not, since they are still going be friends.
&没有关系,我理解。&她的丈夫有点悲伤地回答道。看到他们夫妇还有一线挽救的希望,律师于是建议他们三个人一起去吃顿晚餐。就他们三个人,老夫人想道,为什么不呢,反正他们很快就成为朋友了。
  At the dining table, there was a silence of awkwardness.
&&&&餐桌上,这对夫妇沉默不语,尴尬的气氛顿时弥漫开来。
&&& The first dish was roasted chicken, immediately, the old man took the drumstick for the old lady. &Take this, it&s your favorite.&
&&&&第一道菜是烤鸡。立刻地,老夫人的丈夫夹了一个鸡腿给她说道:&尝尝这个,我知道你最喜欢吃鸡腿了。&
&&& Looking at this, the lawyer thought maybe there&s still a chance, but the wife was frowning when she answer. &This is always the problem, you always think so highly of yourself, never thought about how I feel, don&t you know that I hate drumsticks?&
  见到这种情景,律师心想,他们相亲相爱到这个地步本不应该提出离婚的。然而,出奇意料的是,当老夫人接过丈夫所夹的菜时,眉毛却很不自然地皱了一下答道:&这就是问题所在,你总是自以为是,从来没有顾及过我的感受,难道你就不知道我很讨厌吃鸡腿吗?&
&&& Little did she know that, over the years, the husband have been trying all ways to please her, little did she know that drumsticks was the husband&s favorite.
  她一点也不清楚,这些年来,她的丈夫一直使尽办法讨她开心;她一点也不知道,鸡腿是她丈夫最喜爱吃的食物。
&&& Little did he know that she never thought he understand her at all, little did he know that she hates drumsticks even though all he wants is the best for her.
&&&&他一点也不清楚,他的妻子会认为他完全不了解她;他一点也不知道,他妻子讨厌吃鸡腿,尽管他把自己最喜爱吃的都给了她。
&&& That night, both of them couldn&t sleep, toss and turn, toss and turn. After hours, the old man couldn&t take it anymore, he knows that he still loves her, and he can&t carry on life without her, he wants her back, he wants to tell her, he is sorry, he wanted to tell her, &I love you.&
&&&&那天晚上,两个老人都睡不着,各自在自己的床上辗转反侧,辗转反侧。挣扎了几个小时后,老夫人的丈夫终于忍耐不住,他发觉他仍然深爱着老夫人。他的生活不能没有老夫人,他要她回来,他要亲口告诉她,&我很抱歉;&他要亲口告诉她,&我爱你。&
&&& He picks up the phone, started dialing her number. Ringing never stops. He never stop dialing.
&&&&于是,他拿起电话,开始按老夫人的电话号码,铃声响个不停,但另一边却没人接。尽管对方不接通他的电话,他还是一直不停地在按着重拔键。
&&& On the other side, she was sad, she couldn&t understand how come after all these years, he still doesn&t understand her at all, she loves him a lot, but she just can&t take it any- more. Phone&s ringing, she refuses to answer knowing that it&s him. &What&s the point of talking now that it&s over. I have asked for it and now. I want to keep it this way, if not I will lose face. &She thought. Phone still ringing. She has decided to pull out the cord.
&&&&&另一方面,老夫人也很伤心,她搞不清楚为什么经过多年来的相处她丈夫仍然一点都不了解她。事实上,她也非常爱她的丈夫,但她再也不愿意跟他一起生活了。电话铃声在响,老夫人知道是她丈夫打来的,但她心意已决不再接他的电话。&&现在谈论还有什么意思呢?我和你的感情已经结束了。当初,第一次提出离婚的人是我,那我现在也得保持这种现状。要不然,你会说我反悔,那我岂不是很丢脸。对,对,就这样下去。&老夫人心想道。电话铃声仍然在响,她于是索性把电话线拉开了。
&&& Little did she remember, he had heart problems.
  悲剧就这样发生了,她一点也不曾记起,她的丈夫有心脏病。
&&& The next day, she received news that he had passed away. She rushed down to his apartment, saw his body, lying on the couch still holding on to the phone. He had a heart attack when he was still trying to get thru her phone line.
&&&&第二天早上,老夫人得知她丈夫昨晚已逝世的消息。她径直向他的公寓里跑去,发现死后的丈夫躺在沙发上,手里仍然拿着电话。那天晚上,当她的丈夫试图接通她的电话时,心脏病突然发作,他就这样离开了她。
&&& As sad as she could be. She will have to clear his belongings. When she was looking thru the drawers, she saw this insurance policy, dated from the day they got married, beneficiary is her. Together in that file there&s this note.
  尽管她很悲伤,老夫人仍不得不亲自动手清理他的遗物。当老夫人认真细致地翻着一个抽屉时,她发现了一张保险单。保险日期从他们结婚之日起算起,毫无疑问,保险受益人是她。在这个文件夹里,还有一份就是她丈夫亲手写的遗嘱,里面说道:
&&& &To my dearest wife, by the time you are reading this, I&m sure I&m no longer around, I bought this policy for you, though the amount is only $100k, I hope it will be able to help me continue my promise that I have made when we got married, I might not be around anymore, I want this amount of money to continue taking care of you, just like the way I will if I could have live longer. I want you to know I will always be around, by your side. I love you.&
  &献给我最亲爱的妻子:当你读着这封遗嘱的时候,我确信我已不在人间。我为你买了这份保险。虽然金额总数才区区100英磅,但我希望它能帮助我继续履行我们结婚时我所起的照顾你一生一世的诺言。我不能再陪你一起度过你的余生,但我希望保险金额里的钱能够帮助我实现照顾你后半生生活的愿望,就像我可以重生的话那样照顾你。我同时也想让你知道,我会一直在你的周围,在你的身边,保护你关心你,我爱你!&
&&& Tears flowed like river.& &
&&&&老夫人读着读着,泪水如小河流水般奔涌而出。
&&& When you love someone, let them know. You never know what will happen the next minute. Learn to build a life together. Learn to love each other for who they are,Not what they are.&&&&                        
  当你爱着一个人的时候,务必要让他们知道,因为你永远不知道下一分钟将会发生什么事。学会一起生活,学会互爱,不是他们是你的什么,而是他们是你的谁.&&
剧集名称:寄养家庭 The&Fosters
电视网:ABC&Family
剧集类别:剧情,家庭
下集名称:Quinceanera
剧情简介:
这是一部《当代家庭》(Modern Family)风格的家庭剧,描述一个黑白混居、养子和亲子混居、同性恋和非同性恋混居的「另类家庭」故事。Jennifer Lopez担任该剧的执行制片人。
Stef Foster(Teri Polo)是一个热心、专注的警官,和她同居多年的同性恋伙伴Lena Foster(Sherri Saum)是一个小学副校长,她们在一起组建了一个团结、亲密、充满温暖的家庭。Stef和前夫生了一个儿子Brandon(David Lambert),还和Lena共同收养了一对双胞胎Mariana(Cierra Ramirez)和Jesus(Jake T. Austin)。Lena遇到性格叛逆的少女Callie(Maia Mitchell),对她的身世产生了浓厚兴趣&&Callie也是一个被人收养的孩子,但她总是遭到虐待,已经在多个收养家庭中反复进出过很多次。Lena和Stef十分同情Callie的遭遇,决定将她接到自己家中生活几周时间&&直到给她找到一个合适的安身之处。
Callie很快意识到这是个「非典型」家庭,她口无遮拦的话语引起了Jesus和Mariana的紧张&&他们最不愿意听人谈论起自己的「养子养女」身份,而这偏偏是Callie最感「兴趣」的话题。当这对双胞胎有机会与亲生母亲见面时,他们开始犹豫起来&&他们是否做好了与她相认的准备?他们是否应该把这件事告诉两个养母?另一方面,Callie还发现Mariana隐瞒了一个秘密&&一个可能给她带来大麻烦的秘密。
Brandon是一个很有音乐天赋的孩子,心地善良。当Lena安排Callie到自己工作的高中读书时,Brandon不仅主动帮助Callie与同学们打交道,还帮助她应付各种「社交难题」。当Callie决定逃学去见她曾经认识的某人时,Brandon面临一个艰难的选择。
接下来的事情取决于Stef和Lena的决定&&她们是否应该给Callie一个机会?她们家中是否会有Callie的一席之地?她们心中是否会有Callie的一席之地?或许,她们会让Callie永远留下来,真正成为这个家庭的一分子?
剧集名称:血迷棕榈 The&Glades
电视网:A&E
剧集类别:动作&犯罪&剧情&悬疑&
下集名称:Apocalypse&Now
剧情简介:
&&&&《阳光下的棕榈湖》是A&E频道在有剧本节目上的又一次尝试,这次他们选择的是相对保守的警匪类型。故事发生在佛罗里达州一个叫棕榈湖的虚拟小镇上。来自《牧场姐妹》的澳大利亚演员Matt&Passmore及来自《迷失》的Kiele&Sanchez、来自《律政狂鲨》的Carlos&Gomez主演。
&&&&Jim&Longworth(Matt&Passmore扮演)是一位迷人、聪明但是不好相处的芝加哥命案侦探。Jim的前任上司一口咬定Jim与他的妻子有不当关系,一怒之下将Jim从大都会流放到棕榈湖这个没有前途的小地方。这里阳光充足、绿草如茵,到处可见打高尔夫球的人,人们的生活悠闲自得,表面上几乎没有犯罪。可这个风景优美的寂静小镇真那么完美吗?
&&&&在适应新生活的同时,Jim很快发现这个位于佛罗里达州南部大沼泽的小镇有些不寻常。他到来后不久,镇里镇外开始不停出现谋杀案。第一周,人们在沼泽里看见了一具尸体;第二周,又一具尸体出现在自然保护区的一架飞机里;第三周,一个男人在比基尼大赛现场突然身亡。Jim不得不放下高尔夫球杆,拿起手枪和警徽,重新开始他最擅长的事情:侦破命案。
&&&&来到小镇上后不久,Jim就对美丽聪明的护士、医科学生Callie(Kiele&Sanchez扮演)产生了强烈好感。不要被「学生」这两个字所迷惑,Callie不是一个懵懂少女,而是一个儿子已经12岁、丈夫在蹲监狱的成熟女人。尽管Jim很想和Callie约会,但正经事还是不能马虎。事实上,如果他不是一个认真负责且非常优秀的侦探,人们也许不会来烦他。
&&&&对Jim来说,生活的转变、角色的转变的确不容易接受,但在永远阳光灿烂的棕榈湖,他也永远有活干。这不?又一起谋杀发生了&&
&&&&在第一集当中,Jim要面对的是一起无名女尸案。受害人的尸体出现在棕榈湖边的小溪里,还被人斩了首。Jim是个超级高尔夫球迷,但是成绩一直不很理想。如今棕榈湖有这么好的条件供他整天「练习」,他当然不肯放过。为了尽快破案,然后重新回到高尔夫球场上,他对验尸官兼高尔夫球搭档Carlos(Carlos&Gomez扮演)「软硬兼施」,逼他尽早查明受害人的身份,将凶手绳之以法。当然,Jim不会放过每一个能帮助他破案的人,激将、哄骗、慷慨陈词&&就差没把吃奶的劲全都使上了。
面朝大海,春暖花开
面朝大海,春暖花开
从明天起,做一个幸福的人
From tomorrow on, I wi
喂马,劈柴,周游世界
Grooming, chopping, and traveling all over the world.
从明天起,关心粮食和蔬菜&From tomorrow on, I will care foodstuff and vegetables,
我有一所房子,面朝大海,春暖花开
I have a house,towards the sea, with spring flowers blossoming.
从明天起,和每一个亲人通信
From tomorrow on, I will write to each of my dear ones,
告诉他们我的幸福
Telling them of my happiness,
那幸福的闪电告诉我的
What the lightening of blessedness has told me,
我将告诉每一个人
I will spread it to each of them.
给每一条河每一座山取一个温暖的名字
And give a warm name for every river and every mountain.
陌生人,我也为你祝福
Strangers, I will also give you my well-wishing.
愿你有一个灿烂的前程
May you have a brilliant future!
愿你有情人终成眷属
May you lovers eventually become spouse!
愿你在尘世获得幸福
May you enjoy happiness in this earthly world!
我也愿面朝大海,春暖花开
I only wish to face the sea, with spring flowers blossoming.
剧集名称:少狼 Teen Wolf电视网:MTV剧集类别:喜剧 剧情剧情简介:&&& Scott本是个正常人,但狼在他身上咬的那一口改变了他的一生。现在的他很想知道自己究竟是谁,他又会变成怎样。他的狼性会超过人性吗?或者反过来?反正不管怎么样,今后的路不好走就是了。Scott需要努力克制他的欲望,但是大多数时候他都感到很恐惧,他害怕自己体内潜藏的狼性终有一天会彻底控制他。&&& 哪些是Scott真正想要的东西,又有哪些是他忍不住想要的东西?《少狼》就讲述了Scott在这两者之间挣扎的故事。被狼咬的那一口究竟是上天赐予的礼物还是一个诅咒?它对于他和他怎么爱都爱不够的女孩&&Allison之间的关系又意味着什么?他是否能够接纳他被赋予的新力量,还是会惧怕它们,看来只有时间才能给出答案。
On the seashore 在海岸
On the seashore of endless worlds children meet.
The infinite sky is motionless overhead
And the restless water is boisterous.
On the seashore of endless worlds&The children meet with shouts and dances
在无尽世界的海滨,孩子们相聚。
头上无垠的天空静止,不息的海水狂暴。
在无尽世界的海滨,
孩子们相聚、叫着、跳着
They build their houses with sand,
And they play with empty shells.
With withered leaves they weave
Their boats and smilingly float them
On the vast deep.
Children have their play on the
Seashore of worlds.
他们以沙筑屋,他们戏耍着空贝壳,
他们用凋萎的枯叶编制它们的船只,
然后微笑地让他们在深海中飘浮。
孩子们有自己的游戏,在世界的海滨
They know not how to swim,
They know not how to cast nets.
Pearl-fishers dive for pearls,
Merchants sail in their ships,
While children gather pebbles
And scatter them again.
They seek not for hidden treasures,
They know not how to cast nets.
他们不知如何游泳,他们不知如何撒网。
采珠者潜水寻觅珍珠,商人们乘船航行,
而孩子们将鹅卵石拾起又抛散。
他们不寻找宝藏,他们不知该如何撒网
The sea surges up with laughter,
And pale gleams the smile of the sea-beach.
Death-dealing waves sing
Meaningless ballads to the children,
Even like a mother while rocking her baby's cradle.
The sea plays with children,
And pale gleams the smile of the sea-beach.
海洋带着笑声涌起大浪,
苍白闪烁着的是海滩的笑容。
凶险波涛对这孩子们唱着舞意义的歌,
经四母亲推动婴儿摇篮时的哼唱。
大海与孩子们戏耍,
苍白闪烁着的是海滩的笑容
On the seashore of endless worlds children meet.
Tempest roams in the pathless sky,
Ships are wrecked in the trackless water,
Death is abroad and children play.
On the seashore of endless worlds is the
Great meeting of children.
在无尽世界的海滨孩子们相聚。
暴风雨在无径的空中怒吼,
船只在无踪的水里崩解。
死神处处皆在,而孩子们在戏耍。
在无尽世界的海滨是孩子们盛大的聚会。&
不惧冬风凛冽
Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind
Blow, blow, thou winter wind,
Thou art not so unkind
Thy tooth is not so keen
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh ho! sing heigh ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, mo
Then, heigh ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly.
Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky,
That dost not bite so nigh
As benefits forgot:
Though thou the waters warp,
Thy sting is not so sharp
As friendship remember'd not.
Heigh-ho! sing heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, mo
Then, heigh-ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly.
不惧冬风凛冽,
风威远难遽及
人世之寡情;
其为气也虽厉,
其牙尚非甚锐,
风体本无形。
噫嘻乎!且向冬青歌一曲:
友交皆虚妄,恩爱痴人逐。
噫嘻乎冬青!
可乐惟此生。
不愁冱天冰雪,
其寒尚难遽及
受施而忘恩;
风皱满池碧水,
利刺尚难比
捐旧之友人。
噫嘻乎!且向冬青歌一曲:
友交皆虚妄,恩爱痴人逐。
噫嘻乎冬青!
可乐惟此生。&
Keep Your Goals in Sight 莫让目标太遥远
When she looked ahead, Florence Chadwick saw nothing but a solid wall of fog. Her body was numb.She had been swimming for nearly sixteen hours.
佛罗伦斯&查德威克向前方望去,除了绵延无尽的大雾,她什么也看不到。她一直在游泳,已经游了几乎16个小时,身体都麻木了。&
Already she was the first woman to swim the English Channel in both directions. Now, at age 34, her goal was to become the first woman to swim from Catalina Island to the California coast.
在那之前,她已经是第一位从两个方向游过英吉利海峡的女子。现在,她已34岁,她的目标是要成为第一个从卡达琳纳岛游到加利福尼亚海岸的女子。
On that Fourth of July morning in 1952, the sea was like an ice bath and the fog was so dense she could hardly see her support boats. Sharks cruised toward her lone figure, only to be driven away by rifle shots. Against the frigid grip of the sea, she struggled on&hour after hour& while millions watched on national television.
日的那个早晨,大海就像一个冰浴盆,雾是那么浓,她甚至连救援她的船只都看不到。鲨鱼游向她孤单的身躯,只能靠来复枪来击退。她迎向冰冷的海水,努力向前游,就这样一小时一小时过去了;无数观众则坐在电视机前观看这一情景。
Alongside Florence in one of the boats, her mother and her trainer offered encouragement. They told her it wasn&t much farther. But all she could see was fog. They urged her not to quit. She never had . . . until then. With only a half mile to go, she asked to be pulled out.
在佛罗伦斯旁边的一艘船里,她母亲和她的教练不断地鼓励她。他们告诉她离海岸已经不远了,然而除雾以外,她却什么也看不到。他们激励她不要放弃,事实上,她一直在坚持,然而在距离目的地只有半英里的时候,她却要求,将她拖出水面。
Still thawing her chilled body several hours later, she told a reporter, "Look, I&m not excusing myself, but if I could have seen land I might have made it." It was not fatigue or even the cold water that defeated her. It was the fog. She was unable to see her goal.
几个小时后,她一边暖着身体,一边对着记者说:&怎么说呢,我不是为自己找借口,但如果我能看见陆地的话,我会成功的。&瞧,在这次游泳中,击败她的不是劳累和冰冷的海水,而是雾。因为有雾,她根本看不到自己的目标。
Two months later, she tried again. This time, despite the same dense fog, she swam with her faith intact and her goal clearly pictured in her mind. She knew that somewhere behind that fog was land and this time she made it! Florence Chadwick became the first woman to swim the Catalina Channel, eclipsing the men&s record by two hours!
两个月后,她又试着游了一次。这一次,尽管雾还是那样浓,但她始终带着必胜的信念,头脑中始终有一个清楚的目标,她知道雾后面的某个地方就是陆地,这一次她成功了!佛罗伦斯&查德威克最终成为第一个游过卡达琳纳海峡的女子,并且以快两个小时的速度打破了男子游过该海峡的记录,这让男子记录黯然失色。
A Moment of Joy 片刻的欢乐
Twenty years ago, I drove a cab for a living. It was a cowboy&s life, a life for someone who wanted no boss.
What I did not realize was that it was also a ministry. Because I drove the night shift, my cab became a moving confessional. Passengers climbed in, sat behind me in total anonymity, and told me about their lives. I encountered people whose lives amazed me, ennobled me, made me laugh and weep.
But none touched me more than a woman I picked up late one August night.
I was responding to a call from a small brick fourplex in a quiet part of town. I assumed I was being sent to pick up some people who had been partying, or someone who had just had a fight with a lover, or a worker heading to an early shift at some factory for the industrial part of town.
When I arrived at 2:30 a.m., the building was dark except for a single light in a ground floor window. Under such circumstances, many drivers just honk once or twice, wait a minute, then drive away. But I had seen too many impoverished people who depended on taxis as their only means of transpor- tation.
Unless a situation smelled of danger, I always went to the door.
This passenger might be someone who needs my assistance, I reasoned to myself. So I walked to the door and knocked. &Just a minute,& answered a frail, elderly voice. I could hear something being dragged across the floor. After a long pause, the door opened. A small woman in her 80s stood before me. She was wearing a print dress and a pillbox hat with a veil pinned on it, like somebody out of a 1940s movie. By her side was a small nylon suitcase.
The apartment looked as if no one had lived in it for years. All the furniture was covered with sheets. There were no clocks on the walls, no knickknacks or utensils on the counters. In the corner was a cardboard box filled with photos and glassware.
&Would you carry my bag out to the car?& she said. I took the suitcase to the cab, then returned to assist the woman. She took my arm, and we walked slowly toward the curb.
She kept thanking me for my kindness. &It&s nothing,& I told her. &I just try to treat my passengers the way I would want my mother treated.& &Oh, you&re such a good boy,& she said.
When we got in the cab, she gave me an address, then asked, &Can you drive through downtown?& &It&s not the shortest way,& I answered quickly. &Oh, I don&t mind,& she said. &I&m in no hurry. I&m on my way to a hospice.& I looked in the rearview mirror. Her eyes were glistening. &I don&t have any family left,& she continued. &The doctor says I don&t have very long.&
I quietly reached over and shut off the meter. &What route would you like me to take?& I asked.
For the next two hours, we drove through the city. She showed me the building where she had once worked as an elevator operator. We drove through the neighborhood where she and her husband had lived when they were newlyweds. She had me pull up in front of a furniture warehouse that had once been a ballroom where she had gone dancing as a girl.
Sometimes she&d ask me to slow in front of a particular building or corner and would sit staring into the darkness, saying nothing.
As the first hint of sun was creasing the horizon, she suddenly said, &I&m tired. Let&s go now.&
We drove in silence to the address she had given me.
It was a low building, like a small convalescent home, with a driveway that passed under a portico. Two orderlies came out to the cab as soon as we pulled up. They were solicitous and intent, watching her every move. They must have been expecting her.
I opened the trunk and took the small suitcase to the door. The woman was already seated in a wheelchair.
&How much do I owe you?& she asked, reaching into her purse.
&Nothing,& I said.
&You have to make a living,& she answered.
&There are other passengers,& I responded.
Almost without thinking, I bent and gave her a hug. She held onto me tightly.
&You gave an old woman a little moment of joy,& she said. &Thank you.&
I squeezed her hand, then walked into the dim morning light. Behind me, a door shut. It was the sound of the closing of a life.
I didn&t pick up any more passengers that shift. I drove aimlessly, lost in thought. For the rest of that day, I could hardly talk.
What if that woman had gotten an angry driver, or one who was impatient to end his shift? What if I had refused to take the run, or had honked once, then driven away?
On a quick review, I don&t think that I have done anything more important in my life.
We&re conditioned to think that our lives revolve around great moments. But great moments often catch us unaware - beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one. People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said... but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Take a moment to stop and appre- ciate the memories you have made, the memory making opportunies around you and make someone feel special today.
[NextPage]
二十年前,我以开出租车为生。这是一种富有冒险精神的生活,适合那些不想受老板管制的人。
开始我没有意识到它也是一种牧师职业。由于我上夜班,我的出租车就成为一辆流动的忏悔室。乘客们爬进车里,坐在我后面,素不相识,然后给我讲述他们的生活。我遇到过很多人,有些人的生活让我感到惊奇,有些人的生活让我肃然起敬,有些人带给我欢笑和哭泣。
然而最使我感动的,是在八月的一个晚上乘车的一位老妇人。
我正在接电话,是从一座砖造的四套公寓住宅小楼打来的,位于城镇一个安静的区域。我想可能是我让去那里接一些参加舞会的人,或者刚与爱人打过架的人,或者要去城镇工业区的某个工厂赶早班的工人。
凌晨两点半我赶到的时候,楼里除了第一层窗户那儿亮着一盏孤灯外,漆黑一片。在这种情况下,很多司机都是按一两下喇叭,等一会儿,然而就开车离开了。但我见过太多穷困的人们,他们把出租车作为唯一的交通工具。
除非嗅到危险的气氛,我总是走到门前。
乘客也许需要我的帮助,我这样为自己找理由。因此我走到门前,敲门。&请等一下。&回答的是一个虚弱而苍老的声音。我能听到在地板上拖着东西的声音,过了好一会,门开了。一位80多岁的弱小老妇人站在我面前。她穿着印花外套,戴着别有面纱的筒状女帽,就像从四十年代的电影里走出来的人。她身旁是一个小型的尼龙手提箱。
这座公寓看上去好像很多年没人住过了,所有的家具都用布蒙着,墙上没有挂钟,柜台上也没有任何装饰物或家用器具。墙角放着一个纸箱,里面堆满了照片和玻璃器皿。
&你能帮我把包拿到车上吗?&她说。我把箱子放到车上,又回来搀扶老妇人。她挽住我的胳膊,我们慢慢走到车旁。
她不停地感谢我的好心。&没什么,&我说,&我想要别人这样对待我的母亲,我就得尽力这样对待我的乘客。&&哦,你真是个好孩子。&她说。
当我们坐进车里,她递给我一个地址,然后又问道:&你能从城镇中心穿过去吗?&&那不是最近的路。&我很快回答。&哦,没关系,&她说,&我不急着赶路,我就要去救济院了。& 我从后视镜看了看,她的眼睛在闪着光。她继续说着:&我没有任何家人了,医生说我活不长了。&
我轻轻地伸手关掉了计量表。&您想让我走哪条路线?&我问。
接下来的两个小时,我们开车穿过了整个城市。她指给我看当年她作电梯操作员的那座大厦,她和她的新婚丈夫当年生活过的小区,她让我在一家家具商店前面停车,那儿以前是个舞厅,她还是个小姑娘时常去那儿跳舞。
有时经过一个特殊的大楼或角落时她会让我放慢车速,她会坐在那里瞪着夜空,默默无言。
当第一缕阳光打破了地平线,她突然说:&我累了,咱们现在就走吧。&
我们默默地驱车向她给我的那个地址驶去。
那是一座低矮的楼房,就像一个小疗养院,在门廊的下面有一条车道。我们刚停车,就有两个护理员出来向我们走来。她们关切而热心地注视着她的举动,看样子一定是在等着她的到来。
我打开车尾的行李箱,把她的手提箱提到门口。老妇人已经坐进轮椅里。
&我该给你多少钱?&她边说边把手伸进钱包。
&不用了,&我说。
&你得谋生呢,&她说。
&还有其他的乘客,&我回答。
几乎想也没想,我弯下腰来给了她一个拥抱。她也紧紧地抱着我。
&你给了一个老妇人片刻的欢乐,&她说,&谢谢你。&
我轻轻地握了握她的手,便走进了微弱的晨光中。门在我身后关上了。这也是生命关闭的声音。
那晚我没有拉其他的乘客。我漫无方向地开着车,陷入沉思中。那天其余的,我几乎说不出话。
如果那位老妇人碰到一位狂暴的司机,或者急着结束晚班的司机,那会怎么样呢?如果我拒绝跑这趟车,或者只是按一声喇叭,便开车离开,那又会怎么样呢?
匆忙回顾了一下,我认为我做了一件生命中再重要不过的事情。
我们习惯性地认为我们的生命中有一些重大的时刻,然而重大的时刻往往在不经意时降临到我们身上--也许在别人眼中是小事,但它有着的包装。人们可能不会完全记住你所做的事,或者你所说的话&&但他们却会永远记住你带给他们的感觉。
花上片刻的时间,静静地欣赏一下你的回忆,那些为周围的人创造了机会的回忆,那些使他人今天仍然感觉特别的回忆。
中文名: 邻家女特工&外文名: Covert Affairs&其它译名: 秘密行动/谍影迷情/谍影狂花/密情&出品公司: USA&制片地区: 美国&导演: Tim Matheson&&编剧: Matt Corman Chris Ord&主演: 派珀&佩拉博,克里斯托弗&高哈姆&类型: 动作/犯罪&语言: 英语,中文字幕&简介:Annie Walker(Piper Perabo)是一名尚在训练中的初级间谍,最近突然被中央情报局「提拔」为外勤特工。她出众的语言才能或许是上司看重的一个原因,但那不是最主要的--她的上司似乎对她曾经遇到过的某个人(前男友)更感兴趣。Christopher Gorham扮演一个为中央情报局效命军事情报特工,在一次任务中失去了双眼。他是Annie的导师兼行动负责人。Anne Dudek扮演Annie的姐姐,一位有两个孩子的母亲。Kari Matchett扮演中情局「国内保安局」的主管Joan。Peter Gallagher扮演她的丈夫Arthur,中情局秘密行动处主任,同时也是Joan的上司。&
&中文名: 发展受阻&外文名: Arrested Development&出品公司: 福克斯广播公司&制片地区: 美国&导演: Mitchell Hurwitz&主演: 杰森&贝特曼,威尔&阿奈特&类型: 喜剧&简介:一个大富之家因涉嫌经济犯罪,所有资产被冻结。早已习惯锦衣玉食的一家人如何适应这天翻地覆的转变呢?Arrested Development讲的是一个很有钱的家庭Bluth家庭的故事.主角Michael是家中二子,他一直辛辛苦苦的为家族工作,希望有一天能够接替父亲George Sr.的位置.结果在第一集里,爸爸George Sr.把董事长的位置交给了他妈妈Lucille.就在大家庆祝爸爸的退休聚会的时候,警察出现,带走了George Sr.,罪名是他们家族的人把集团当成了私人提款机,到处乱花钱.Michael原本很受伤,打算去另一个公司工作,最后还是决定留在家族打理各种事务.主要角色还包括GOB,Michael的大哥(由Amy Poler的老公扮演).GOB是一位魔术师,成天只有破坏没有建设,还有点异想天开.Michael的儿子,George Michael(汗).George Michael有着良好的家教,算是这个自私自利家族里的异端(他爸爸偶尔会耍点怀心眼),曾经暗恋自己的堂妹Maeby(发音Maybe).Maeby的妈妈就是Michael的妹妹Lindsay.毫无工作的她目前正在和丈夫Tobias处在离婚边缘.花钱大手大脚,有点大小姐.Tobias原本是个心理医生,因为无意中救错人而被吊销执照.希望成为一名演员,同样有些异想天开.他很害怕暴露身体,所以从来里面都穿着条牛仔短裤,这也使得他和Lindsay的性生活很有问题.Buster是家族中最小的儿子,因为从小到大都和妈妈住在一起,所以有些恋母情节(更感觉有些同性恋).在第二季度因为老妈被一个长得象Michael Morre的人逼问会不会送小孩去伊拉克而被报名参军.之后赌气下海游泳而被海豹咬掉左手,目前用铁钩代替.这部片的拍摄手法是使用纪录片的手法,偶尔会对故事里提到的事进行闪回.搞笑的是家族里的人的各种古怪事和相互算计以及通过闪回带来的幽默.画外音是由Ron Howard来配的(奥斯卡最佳导演获得者).在第二季度里面,他们发现了老爸George Sr.不仅私挪公款,还和萨达姆进行交易.
Every Day is a Lucky Day
I teach economics at unlv three times per week. last monday, at the beginning of class, i cheerfully asked my students how their weekend had been. one young man said that his weekend had not been so good. he had his wisdom teeth removed. the young man then proceeded to ask me why i always seemed to be so cheerful.
His question reminded me of something i'd read somewhere before: "every morning when you get up, you have a choice about how you want to approach life that day," i said. "i choose to be cheerful."&
"Let me give you an example," i continued, addressing all sixty students in the class. "in addition to teaching here at unlv, i also teach out at the community college in henderson, 17 miles down the freeway from where i live. one day a few weeks ago i drove those 17 miles to henderson. i exited the freeway and turned onto college drive. i only had to drive another quarter mile down the road to the college. but just then my car died. i tried to start it again, but the engine wouldn't turn over. so i put my flashers on, grabbed my books, and marched down the road to the college."&
"As soon as i got there i called aaa and arranged for a tow truck to meet me at my car after class. the secretary in the provost's office asked me what has happened. 'this is my lucky day,' i replied, smiling."&
" 'Your car breaks down and today is your lucky day?' she was puzzled. 'what do you mean?'"&
" 'I live 17 miles from here.' i replied. 'my car could have broken down anywhere along the freeway. it didn't. instead, it broke down in the perfect place: off the freeway, within walking distance of here. i'm still able to teach my class, and i've been able to arrange for the tow truck to meet me after class. if my car was meant to break down today, it couldn't have been arranged in a more convenient fashion.'"&
"The secretary's eyes opened wide, and then she smiled. i smiled back and headed for class." so ended my story.&
I scanned the sixty faces in my economics class at unlv. despite the early hour, no one seemed to be asleep. somehow, my story had touched them. or maybe it wasn't the story at all. in fact, it had all started with a student's observation that i was cheerful.&
我每周在拉斯维加斯大学教三堂经济课。上个星期一,在上课之前,我愉快地问我的学生周末过得怎么样。一个年轻人说他的周末从来没这么好过。 他拔掉了他的智齿。然后这个年轻人又继续问我,为什么我总是看起来这么愉快。&
他的问题使我想起了我以前在什么地方看到过的一些东西:&每天早晨当你醒来,你就有权利选择想要怎样度过这一天,&我说,&我选择快乐地过。&&
&让我给你举一个例子,&我在全班60个学生面前接着说道,&除了在拉斯维加斯大学教课,我也在亨德森社会学院教课,从我住的地方到那儿走高速公路有17英里。几周前的一天我开了17英里的车去亨德森。我出高速公路以后转到学院路。我只要沿着这条路再开四分之一英里就到学校了。但是就在那时我的车坏了。我又试着发动了一次,但是引擎根本转不起来。所以我只好打开闪光灯,拿起我的书,沿着路往下走去学校。&&
&我一到学校就啊地叫了起来,课后才安排拖车来把我和我的车拖走。院长办公室的秘书问我发生了什么事情。&这是我幸运日& 我笑着回答。&&
& &你的车都抛锚了,今天还是你的幸运日?& 她疑惑不解,&你是什么意思?& &&
& &我住在17英里以外& 我回答说,&我的车可能在高速公路的任何一处抛锚。但是它没有。而是在一个最理想的地方抛锚:下了高速公路,到这儿只有几步路远。我还能来教课,课后我还能安排拖车找到我。如果我的车今天注定要坏掉,那这样子已经被安排得不能再方便了。&&
&那个秘书瞪大了眼睛,然后笑了。我也朝她笑了一下,然后去上课了。& 这就是我的故事。&
我扫视了一下在拉斯维加斯大学我的经济课上的这60张脸。尽管还是一大早,却没有一个看起来有困意。不知为什么,我的故事打动了他们。或者可能不完全是因为这个故事。实际上,这一切都是从一个学生注意到我快乐开始的。
The Power of Imagination想象的力量
想象力比知识更重要。&&艾伯特&爱因斯坦
Imagination is the ability to form a mental image of something that is not perceived through the senses. It is the ability of the mind to built mental scenes, objects or events that do not exist, are not present or have happened in the past. Memory is actually a manifestation of imagi- nation. Everyone possesses some imagi- nation ability. In some it may be highly developed and in others it may manifest in a weaker form. It manifests in various degrees in various people.
想象力是形成意识画面的一种能力,并且这个画面不是通过感官得到的。这种能力可以在脑海中勾勒出现实生活中不存在、不在场或过去曾经发生过的心理画面、物体或活动。记忆是想象的展现。每个人都具有一定的想象力,但有些人的想象力可能很丰富,有些人的想象力则比较弱。不同的人想象力的程度是不同的。
Imagination makes it possible to experience a whole world inside the mind. It gives the ability to look at any situation from a different point of view, and enables one to mentally explore the past and the future.
想象力可以把我们脑子里的一切感受付诸实践。想象力用不同的观点看待任何一种情形,还可以使人想象过去和未来。
It manifests in various forms, one of which is daydreaming. Though too much idle daydreaming may make one impractical, some daydreaming, when not being en- gaged in something that requires attention, provides some temporary happiness, calm- ness and relief from stress.
想象力有不同的表现形式,白日梦就是其中一种。尽管过多的白日梦会使人不切实际,然而有些白日梦,当我们无法全神贯注于某事物时,却能给人带来短暂的快乐、平静和放松,从压力中得到暂时的解脱。
In your imagination you can travel anywhere in the speed of light without any obstacles. It can make you feel free, though temporarily, and only in the mind, from tasks, difficulties and unpleasant circum- stances.
在想象中,你可以以光的速度一路顺风地去世界各地旅行。尽管想象是暂时的,也只是在脑海中,但它会令你远离包袱,远离困难,以及不顺心的环境,体验自由的感觉。
Imagination is not limited only to seeing pictures in the mind. It includes all the five senses and the feelings. One can imagine a sound, taste, smell, a physical sensation or a feeling or emotion. For some people it is easier to see mental pictures, others find it easier to imagine a feeling, and some are more comfortable imagining the sensation of one of the five senses. Training of the imagination gives the ability to combine all the senses.
想象力不只局限于在脑海里看见画面。它包括五种感觉和各种情感。一个人可以想象声音、味道、气味及有形的意识或情感。有些人很容易看到意识画面,有些人则认为想象一段情感很容易,另外的人想象五种感觉中的一种会更舒服。锻炼想象力能使所有的感觉综合起来。
A developed and strong imagination does not make you a daydreamer and impractical. On the contrary, it strengthens your creative abilities, and is a great tool for recreating and remodeling your world and life.
高强的想象力不会使你成为一个空想家和不切实际的人。相反,它还能提高你的创造能力,并且是重塑和改变你的世界及生活的伟大工具。
This is a great power that can change your whole life. It is used extensively in magic, creative visualization and affirmations. It is the creator of circumstances and events. When you know how to work with it, you can make your hearts& desires come true.
它是能够改变你的整个人生的强大力量。想象力在魔术、创造性设想及肯定方面有广泛的应用。它是环境和活动的缔造者。知道了如何运用想象力,就能使你的梦想成真。
Imagination has a great role and value in each one&s life. It is much more than just idle daydreaming. We all use it, whether consciously or unconsciously, in most of our daily affairs. We use our imagination when-ever we plan a party, a trip, our work or a meeting. We use it when we describe an event, explain how to arrive to a certain street, write, tell a story or cook a cake.
想象力在每个人的生活中都很重要,并且具有很大的价值。它要比无用的白日梦有用多了。不管是有意识地还有无意识地,在我们大部分的日常生活中,我们都在运用它。不管是计划一次舞会或一次旅行,还是工作或会议安排,我们都要运用想象力。当我们描述一项活动,说明如何到达某条街,写作,讲故事或做蛋糕时,我们都要运用想象力。
Imagination is a crea- tive power that is necessary for inventing an instrument, designing a dress or a build- ing, painting a picture or writing a book. The creative power of imagination has an im- portant role in the achievement of success in any field. What we imagine with faith and feelings comes into being. It is the power beyond creative visualization, positive think- ing and affirmations.
想象是一种创造性的力量。发明一个仪器,设计一件服装,设计一幢大厦,描绘一幅图画,写一本书,都必须要运用想象力。想象的创造能力对于在任何领域取得成功都起着重要的作用。包含信念与情感的想象会成为现实。想象力超出了创造性思维、积极的思考和肯定的意志。
Visualizing an object or a situation, and repeating often this mental image, attracts the object or situation into our lives. This opens for us new, vast and fascinating opportunities.
想象一个物体或者一种情形,经常重复这个意识画面,引导这个物体或情形走向我们的生活。这就为我们打开了一个崭新的、广阔的、精彩的机遇。
This means that we should think only in a positive manner about our desires, other- wise we may create and attract into our lives,events, situations and people that we don&t really want. This is actually what most of us do, because we don&t use the power of imagination correctly.
这就意味着我们应该,并且只能以积极乐观的心态规划我们的追求,否则,就会陷入我们不想要的生活、事件、情形和群体之中。事实上,我们大多数人都是这么做的,因为我们没有正确运用想象力。
If you do not recognize the importance of the power of the imagination, and let it run riot, your life may not be as happy and successful as you would have wanted it to be.
如果你没有认识到想象力的重要性,且让想象漫无目的,那么你的生活就不会像你所想要的那样幸福和成功。
Lack of understanding of the power of the imagination is responsible for the suffering, incompetence, difficulties, failures and unhappiness people experience. For some reason, most people are inclined to think in a negative way. They do not expect success. They expect the worst, and when they fail, they believe that fate is against them. This attitude can be changed, and then life will improve accordingly.
缺少对想象力的理解是有些人感到痛苦、无能、艰难和不幸的原因。由于某种原因,大多数人都倾向于消极地思考问题,他们没有想过成功。当遇到失败时,他们想的是更糟糕的情况,他们认为他们的命不好。如果这种态度能够改变的话,他们生活就会相应地得到改善。
Understanding how to use your imagination correctly, and putting this knowledge into practice, for your own and others& benefit, will put you on the golden path to success, satisfaction and happiness.
知道如何正确运用你的想象力,为了你和他人的利益把你的知识付诸于实践,这样你就会踏上通往成功、快乐和幸福的金光大道。
The Real Princess
There was once a prince who wished but then she must be a real princess. He travelled all over the world in hopes of but there was always something wrong. Princesse but whether they were real princesses it was impossible for him to decide, for now one thing, now another, seemed to him not quite right about the ladies. At last he returned to his palace quite cast down, because he wished so much to have a real Princess for his wife.&
从前有一位王子,他想找一位公主结婚,但她必须是一位真正的公主。他走遍了全世界,想要寻到这样的一位公主。可是无论他到什么地方,他总是碰到一些障碍。公主倒有的是,不过他没有办法断定她们究竟是不是真正的公主,她们好象总是有些地方不大对头。结果,他只好回到自己的皇宫来,心中很不快活,因为他是那么渴望着得到一位真正的公主。&
One evening a fearful tempest arose, it thundered and lightened, and the rain poured down from the sky in torrents: besides, it was as dark as pitch. All at once there was heard a violent knocking at the door, and the old King, the Prince's father, went out himself to open it.&
It was a princess who was standing outside the door. What with the rain and the wind, she wa the water trickled down from her hair, and her clothes clung to her body. She said she was a real princess.&
有一天晚上,忽然起了一阵可怕的暴风雨。天空中风驰电掣,大雨倾盆而降,四周一片漆黑。就在这时,响起了一阵剧烈的敲门声,老国王自己去开门。&
  站在城外的是一位公主。可是,天哪!经过了风吹雨打之后,她的样子是多么难看啊!水沿着她的头发和向下面流,她的衣服粘在身上。她说她是真正的公主。&
"Ah! we shall soon see that!" thought the old Queen- however, she said not a word of what but went quietly into the bedroom, took all the bed-clothes off the bed, and put a little pea on the bedstead. She then laid twenty mattresses one upon another over thepea, and put twenty feather beds over the mattresses.&
Upon this bed the Princess was to pass the night.&
&是的,这点我们马上就可以考查出来。&老皇后心里想,可是她什么也没说。她静静地走进卧房,把所有的被褥都搬开,在床榻上放了一粒豌豆。然后她取出二十床垫子,把它们压在豌豆上。随后,她又在这些垫子上放了二十床鸭绒被。&
这位公主夜里就睡在这些东西上面。&
The next morning she was asked how she had slept. "Oh, very badly indeed!" she replied. "I have scarcely closed my eyes the whole night through. I do not know what was in my bed, but I had something hard under me, and am all over black and blue. It has hurt me so much!"&
Now it was plain that the lady must be a real Princess, since she had been able to feel the little pea through the twenty mattresses and twenty feather beds. None but a real Princess could have had such a delicate sense of feeling.&
So the prince took her for his wife, for now he knew that he and the pea was put in the museum, where it may still be seen, if no one has stolen it.  
&&&&&&&&第二天早晨大家问她昨晚睡得怎样。&啊,不舒服极了!&公主说,&我差不多整夜没合上眼!天晓得我床上有件什么东西?我睡到一块很硬的东西上面,弄得我全身发青发紫,这真怕人!&&
现在大家就看出来了。她是一位真正的公主,因为压在这二十床垫子和二十床鸭绒被下面的一粒豌豆,她居然还能感觉得出来。除了真正的公主以外,任何人都不会有这么嫩的皮肤的。&
   因此那位王子就选她为妻子了,因为现在他知道他得到了一位真正的公主。这粒豌豆因此也就被送进了博物馆,如果没有人把它拿走的话,人们现在还可以在那儿看到它呢。
One day a young man was standing in the middle of the town proclaiming that he had the most beautiful heart in the whole valley. A large crowd gathered, and they all admired his heart for it was perfect. There was not a flaw in it.&&&&&&& 一天,一个年轻人站在镇子的中央,宣称他拥有整个山谷最的心。一大群人围了过来,都交口称赞年轻人的心,因为这颗心完美无瑕。
&&&&&& Suddenly, an old man appeared and said, "Why, your heart is not nearly as beautiful as mine!"&&&&&&& 一位老者突然出现了,说道:&嗨,你的心可不如我的心美丽啊!&
&&&&&&& The crowd and the young man looked at the old man's heart. It was full of scars. It had places where pieces had been removed and other pieces put in, but they didn't fit quite right, and there were several jagged edges. In fact, in some places there were deep gouges where whole pieces were missing.&&&&&&& 这群人和年轻人都看了看老者的心,只见上面布满伤痕。心上的一些部分被取走了,另外补上了其他人的,但并不十分吻合,还有几处边缘参差不齐。事实上,他的心上有些地方留下了深深的凹痕,整瓣整瓣的心都不见了。
&&&&&& The young man laughed. "Comparing your heart with mine, mine is perfect and yours is a mess of scars."&&&&&&& 年轻人笑道:&跟你的心相比,我的心才是完美的,你的心满是疤痕。&
&&&&&& "Yes," said the old man, "Yours looks perfect but I would never trade with you. You see, every scar represents a person to whom I have given my love. I tear out a piece of my heart and give it to them, and often they give me a piece of their heart that fits into the empty place in my heart.&&&&&&& &没错,&老者说:&你的心看上去很完美,但是我永远不会和你交换。你瞧,每处伤痕都代表一个我曾爱过的人。我撕下自己的一片心给他们,他们往往也会给我一片他们的心,填补我心中缺失的那部分。
&&&&&& "But because the pieces aren't exact, I have some rough edges, which I cherish, because they remind me of the love we shared.&&&&&&& &但是由于每片心大小并不完全相同,我的心有些粗糙的边缘,不过我很珍惜,因为它们让我想起我们之间分享过的爱。
&&&&&& "Sometimes I have given pieces of my heart away, and the other person hasn't returned a piece of his or her heart to me. These are the empty gouges - giving love is taking a chance.&&&&&&& &有时我把自己的几片心送出去,其他人却没有向我回馈他们的心。这些便成了空着的深痕--付出爱本来就是一种冒险。
&&&&&& "Although these gouges are painful, they stay open, reminding me of the love I have for those people too, and I hope someday they may return and fill the space I've been waiting. So now do you see what true beauty is?"&&&&&&& &尽管这些凹痕让我感到痛苦,但它们敞开着,让我想起我对他们付出的爱,并希望有朝一日能得到回馈,填满这等待已久的空间。所以,现在你明白什么才是真正的美了吗?&
&&&&&& The young man walked up to the old man, reached into his perfect heart, and ripped a piece out. He offered it to the old man.&&&&&&& 年轻人走到老者面前,把手伸进自己完美的心中,撕下了一片,赠给了老者。
&&&&&& The old man placed it in his heart, then took a piece from his old scarred heart and placed it in the wound in the young man's heart. It fit, but not perfectly, as there were some jagged edges.&&&&&&& 老者把这片心放进自己的心里,然后从自己那颗苍老而又伤痕累累的心上撕下一片,放入年轻人心上的伤口。虽然能够放进去,但不十分吻合,因为有的边缘凹凸不平。
&&&&&& The young man looked at his heart, not perfect anymore but more beautiful than ever, since love from the old man's heart flowed into his.&&&&&&& 年轻人看了看自己的心,它虽然不再完美,却更加美丽,因为老者心中的爱流入了他的心田。
&&&&&& They embraced and walked away side by side.&&&&&&& 他们互相拥抱,然后并肩前行。
&&&&&& How sad it must be to go through life with a whole untouched heart!&&&&&&& 人这一生如果一直保持着一颗完整未动的心是多么可悲啊!
紫丁香的回忆
The family had just moved to Rhode Island, and the young woman was feeling a little melancholy on that Sunday in May. After all, it was Mother's Day -- and 800 miles separated her from her parents in Ohio.
  She had called her mother that morning to wish her a happy Mother's Day, and her mother had mentioned how colorful the yard was now that spring had arrived. As they talked, the younger woman could almost smell the tantalizing aroma of purple lilacs hanging on the big bush outside her parents' back door.
  Later, when she mentioned to her husband how she missed those lilacs, he popped up from his chair. &I know where we can find you all you want,& he said. &Get the kids and c'mon.&
  So off they went, driving the country roads of northern Rhode Island on the kind of day only mid-May can produce: sparkling sunshine, unclouded azure skies and vibrant newness of the green growing all around. They went past small villages and burgeoning housing developments, past abandoned apple orchards, back to where trees and brush have devoured old homesteads.
  Where they stopped,dense thickets of cedars and ju nipers and birch crowded the roadway on both sides. There wasn't a lilac bush in sight.
  &Come with me,& the man said. &Over that hill is an old cellar hole,from somebody's farm of years ago, and there are lilacs all round it. The man who owns this land said I could poke around here anytime. I'm sure he won't mind if we pick a few lilacs.&
  Before they got halfway up the hill, the fragrance of the lilacs drifted down to them, and the kids started running. Soon, the mother began running, too, until she reached the top.
  There,far from view of passing motorists and hidden from encroaching civilization, were the towering lilacs bushes, so laden with the huge, cone- shaped flower clusters that they almost bent double. With a smile, the young woman rushed up to the nearest bush and buried her face in the flowers, drinking in the fragrance and the memories it recalled.
  While the man examined the cellar hole and tried to explain to the children what the house must have looked like, the woman drifted among the lilacs. Carefully, she chose a sprig here, another one there, and clipped them with her husband's pocket knife. She was in no hurry, relishing each blossom as a rare and delicate treasure.
  Finally, though, they returned to their car for the trip home. While the kids chattered and the man drove, the woman sat smiling, surrounded by her flowers, a faraway look in her eyes.
  When they were within three miles of home, she suddenly shouted to her husband, &Stop the car. Stop right here!&
  The man slammed on the brakes. Before he could ask her why she wanted to stop, the woman was out of the car and hurrying up a nearby grassy slope with the lilacs still in her arms. At the top of the hill was a nursing home and, because it was such a beautiful spring day, the patients were outdoors strolling with relatives or sitting on the porch.
  The young woman went to the end of the porch, where an elderly patient was sitting in her wheelchair, alone, head bowed, her back to most of the others. Across the porch railing went the flowers, in to the lap of the old woman. She lifted her head, and smiled. For a few moments, the two women chatted, both aglow with happiness, and then the young woman turned and ran back to her family. As the car pulled away, the woman in the wheelchair waved, and clutched the lilacs.
  &Mom,& the kids asked, &who was that? Why did you give her our flowers? Is she somebody's mother?& The mother said she didn't know the old woman. But it was Mother's Day,and she seemed so alone,and who wouldn't be cheered by flowers? &Besides,& she added,&I have all of you, and I still have my mother, even if she is far away. That woman needed those flowers more than I did.&
  This satisfied the kids, but not the husband. The next day he purchased half a dozen young lilacs bushes and planted them around their yard, and several times since then he has added more.
  I was that man. The young mother was, and is, my wife. Now, every May, our own yard is redolent with lilacs. Every Mother's Day our kids gather purple bouquets. And every year I remember that smile on a lonely old woman's face, and the kindness that put the smile there.
  一家人刚移居罗德岛。5月的那个星期天,年轻女人感到有点儿忧伤。毕竟,这一天是母亲节&&而她却与俄亥俄州的父母亲遥距800英里。
  她那天早上给母亲打去电话,祝母亲节日愉快。随后,她的母亲向她提起,因为春天已经来临,所以院子里的色彩是多么绚丽。在她们通话的当儿,年轻女人几乎可以闻到悬垂在父母亲后门外大灌木丛上的紫丁香醉人的芬芳。
  后来,她向丈夫说起她是如何怀念那些紫丁香时,他突然从椅子上跃起。&我知道在哪儿能找到你想要的东西,&他说,&带上孩子,走吧。&
  于是,他们就出发了,驱车行驶在罗德岛北部的乡村小路上,那种天气只有5月中旬才会有:闪亮的阳光、蔚蓝色的晴空以及生机勃勃、随处可见的绿意。他们穿过一座座小村庄和一座座拔地而起的房屋,穿过废弃的苹果园,来到了树林和灌木丛掩映的老农场。
  他们停下车。车道两边长满}

我要回帖

更多关于 take a hard look 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信