评价文档:
Unit4 What would you do(二)
上传于|0|0|文档简介
&&Unit4 What would you do(二)
大小:1.07MB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢Question and answerQ: CASE-1
(20 Marks)
One afternoon in June 1972, Rao, industrial engineer of P.M.A. company, was called to the office of his immediate superior V.R. Naik, the production manager. Naik said, “Rao, I want to discuss a situation in the production department. A lot of people feel that Govindan is not the right man for the Assistant Superintendent’s position. The President and others have decided that I have got to fire Govindan or at least move him out of production. Everyone wants to fire Govindan, but I won’t do it to him. I was talking with Bhadra this morning, and we decided that you might be able to make use of Govindan in your department.”
Rao was surprised by both the information, and the proposal.
Naik concluded his comments with, “Rao I am asking you to take Govindan. You can say ‘No’. But then he gets fired. I have told Govindan this. Also, Govindan knows that if he goes with you he will take a pay cut. However, I think you can make use of him both to your own and his satisfaction. You are, anyway, carrying out an in-process quality control, and you might be able to make good use of Govindan in view of his long technical experience of production work. Think it over, and let me know by tomorrow. Roa thought over the matter.
PMA company had been a successful enterprise until March 1972 at which time it suffered a sharp decline of profits : sales had fallen off, and production costs had risen. The President adopted three measures which he hoped would improve the condition. First, by creating an Industrial Engineering department for establishing work standards on all production operations, to determine which manufacturing costs were out of line and where remedial action should be taken. Rao, 28 years old, who had been with the company for two years in the Purchasing department, was selected. Rao had B.E. and MBA degrees to his credit. What he lacked in his business experience he made up by his eagerness to learn. He was ambitious and liked by his associates. He wanted a transfer from Purchasing to Production for better opportunities for advancement.
Secondly, he consulted a Management Consultation firm to make a study of the Production Department. They pointed out that the chain of command was too long from Production Manager through Plant Superintendent through Assistant Superintendent to Foremen. They recommended the elimination of the position of Assistant Superintendent.
Thirdly, he enagaged an Industrial Psychologist to appraise all the Supervisory Personnel.
Govindan had been with the Company for 20 years since its founding and during this period had worked on every production operation, and his last 11 years had been in supervisory capacity. His manners were rough and aggressive, he had little formal education. The Industrial Psychologist’s report about Govindan contained the following points:
1. Evaluation for the position of Assistant Superintendent : Not good enough.
2. Capacity for good human relations in supervision : Will have friction frequently.
3. Need for development counselling : Counselling greatly needed.
4. General evaluation : Govindan had a good ability profile. He suffers from a sense of inferiority. He does not like the responsibility of making decisions. His supervision is that of Autocratic type. Though he has the ability, as far as his personality make-up is concerned, he is out of place in the present position.
Questions :
(a) What is the problem in the case? Explain?
(b) Explain Govindan’s behaviour and work experience vis-a-vis the psychologist’s report?
(c) How do you see Naik’a suggestion to Rao? Give reasons?
(d) What are Rao’s considerations is taking a decision? What should he do? Explain?
(20 Marks)
Ms. Subhashini had graduated with a degree in foreign languages. As the child of a military family, she had visited many parts of the world and had traveled extensively in Europe. Despite these broadening experiences, she had never given much thought to a career until her recent divorce from Mr. Srinivas.
Needing to provide her own income, Ms. Subhashini began to look for work. After a fairly intense but unsuccessful search for a job related to her foreign language degree, she began to evaluate her other skills. She had become a proficient typist in college and decided to look into secretarial work. Although she still wanted a career utilizing her foreign language skills, she felt that the immediate financial pressures would be eased in a temporary secretarial position.
Within a short period of time, she was hired as a clerk/typist in a typing pool at Life Insurance Company. Six months later, she became the top typist in the pool and was assigned as secretary to Mrs. Arora, manager of marketing research. She was pleased to get out of the pool and to get a job that had more variety in the tasks to perform. Besides, she also got a nice raise in pay.
Everything seemed to proceed will for the next nine months. Mrs. Arora was pleased with Subhashini’s work, and she seemed happy with her work. Subhashini applied for a few other more professional jobs in other areas during this time. However, each time her application was rejected for lack of related education and/or experience in the area.
Over the next few months, Arora noticed changes in Subhashini. She did not always dress as neatly as she had in the past, she was occasionally late for work, some of her lunches extended to two hours, and most of her productive work was done in the morning hours. Arora did not wish to say anything because Subhashini had been doing an excellent job and her job tasks still were being accomplished on time. However, Subhashini’s job behavior continued to worsen. She began to be absent frequently on Mondays or Fridays. The two-hour lunch periods became standard, and her work performance began to deteriorate. In addition, Arora began to suspect that Subhashini was drinking heavily, due to her appearance some mornings and behavior after her two-hour lunches.
Arora decided that she must confront Subhashini with the problem. However, she wanted to find a way to help her without losing a valuable employee. Before she could set up a meeting, Subhashini burst through her door after lunch one day and said :
“I want to talk to you Mrs. Arora.”
“That’s fine,” Arora replied, “ Shall we set a convenient time?”
“No ! I want to talk now.”
“OK, why don’t you sit down and let’s talk?”
Arora noticed that Subhashini was slurring her words slightly and she was not too steady.
“Mrs. Arora, I need some vacation time.”
“I’m sure we can work that out. You’ve been with the company for over a year and have two weeks’ vacation coming.”
“No, you don’t understand. I want to start it tomorrow.”
“But, Subhashini, we need to plan to get a temporary replacement. We can’t just let your job go for two weeks.”
“Why not? Anyway anyone with an IQ above 50 can do my job. Besides, I need the time off.”
“Subhashini, are you sure you are all right?”
“Yes, I just need some time away from the job.”
Arora decided to let Subhashini have the vacation, which would allow her some time to decide what to do about the situation.
Arora thought about the situation the next couple of days. It was possible that Subhashini was an alcoholic. Hoever, she also seemed to have a negative reaction to her job. Maybe Subhashini was bored with her job. She did not have the experience or job skills to move to a different type of job at present. Arora decided to meet with the Personnel Manager and get some help developing her options to deal with Subhashini’s problem.
Questions :
1. What is the problem in your opinion? Elaborate?
2. Assume that you are the Personnel Manager. What are the alternatives available with Mrs. Arora?
3. What do you consider the best alternative? Why?
(20 Marks)
Ceylon Fertilizer is a urea-manufacturing unit having a capacity of 500 tonnes per day. The total work force of the plant is around 2,000. Being a self-contained plant, it has its own workshop in order to take care of regular maintenance work. The workshop functions in two shifts a day under a shift in charge for each shift who is in the cadre of AEE. The workers have been grouped into two groups, i.e., Relay ‘A’ and ‘B’. The shift routine changes once a week, Sunday being a weekly holiday. Besides the two shifts, there are a group of people under a Senior AEE attending in general shift hours.
The Relay ‘A’, consisting of 18 workers is placed under the charge of Shri Muthu who is a graduate in mechanical engineering. After undergoing training for a period of six months in various divisions in fertilizer, he had acquired a thorough knowledge of works to be undertaken by the Workshop. After being as a Relay Supervisor for 3 years, he has been recently promoted to the post of AEE, who is the shift in charge. When he joined the workshop, he found that the tasks were done with application of thumb-rules and higher officers had to be satisfied with such a quality of work.
Shri muthu, on witnessing this, started to instruct his workers in various theoretical aspects of welding, machining etc., which he had studied in his college. They all highly appreciated the skill and techniques he had taught. The workers now learnt to do things in a better way. Thus, he gained the confidence of workers. As he was able to finish his work in time and in a better way than Relay ‘B’, more work orders were allotted to his group. A few workers in his group started to grumble and the Foreman came and told Mr. Muthu that the “other relay workers do not have much work-load and our workers too do not want to strain much and they are murmuring over getting more work”. Mr. Muthu, however, convinced the Foreman that extra work should be taken as a credit and recognition, and they should do their best. After this had happened some workers even tried to get transferred to the other-Relay.
One morning, Mr. Muthu was making arrangements for the work to be taken and was giving instructions to his the work to be taken and was giving instructions to his foreman. Turner, Kali, came and told him, “Sir, father of Fitter Sami expired last night and we all want to go and attend the funeral,” and added, “It is customary for the men in workshop to attend such funerals and the shift-incharge has to arrange a lorry or any conveyance for the people to go to Sami’s house, which is nearly eight kms. From the plant.” Since Muthu joined the company, this was first such instance occurring and as he had to finish some urgent work orders, he told the worker Kali, “You all need not go to the funeral. I can, however, permit a few of you as representatives of Relay ‘A’ to go and offer condolences to Sami’s family.” Further, he regretted that he would not make any arrangements for conveyance. This statement created a turbulence among the workers and a group of workers stopped the work and started demanding that they be allowed to attend the funeral or else they wanted to stop work in the coming shifts. Foreman hurried up to AEE Mr. Muthu to explain the turbulent situation in the shop- floor.
On hearing this, Muthu told his Foreman, “I have given you an alternative and I have already told the urgency of work and I am going to allocate the work as per planning schedule. If the work is not done, I may have to take action against you.” Then the group of workers started discussing among themselves as to what to do next. A turner came forth and said, “You are not considerate enough to human matters and if you are still adamant we may prefer half-a-day wages-cut as we must go and attend the funeral. Anyhow you have to make arrangements for our conveyance.” Mr. Muthu at this instance noted that a small group, who were usually complaining about the workload and were murmuring, were keenly interested in the affair. He decided to face the situation as a matter of prestige. He decided to face the situation as a matter of prestige. He issued the gate pass t whoever wished to go, still emphasizing that he would not arrange any conveyance. Nearly 25 per cent of the workers remained and the others collected money from all for the funeral and went off.
On that day Mr. Muthu, could finish only a part of the work as planned and he had to explain what had happened in his Relay, to his boss.
When he came the next morning, it was rumored that only a few of the workers attended the funeral and the others had gone to the cinema theatre near the village. Mr. Muthu got irritated by the workers behavior and started writing memos to those who had received the gate pass the previous day. Some workers got annoyed by this action of Mr. Muthu and they approached the union to intervene. The news had spread to other divisions and there was an air there was an air of protest at all places in the Fertilizer Plants.
1. What are the dominant features of this case?
2. What is your view of the action taken by Mr. Muthu?
3. What are the weaknesses and strong points, as you consider, of Mr. Muthu as a Manager?
4. How would you have tackled the situation, if you were Mr. Muthu?
(20 Marks)
The ABC Manufacturing Company is a plant under the direction of a plant manager who is known as a strict disciplinarian. One day a strict disciplinarian. One day a foreman noticed Bhola,one of the workers, at the time-clock punching out two cards- his own and the card of Nathu, a fellow worker. Since it was the rule of the company that each man must punch out his own card, the foreman asked Bhola to accompany him to the Personnel Director,who interpreted the incident as a direct violation of a rule and gave immediate notice of discharge to both workers.
The two workers came to see the Personnel Director on the following day. Nathu claimed innocence on the ground that he had not asked for his card to be punched and did not know at the time that it was being punched. He had been offered a ride by a frienf who could not wait for him to go through the punch-out procedure. Nathu was worried about his wife who was ill at home and was anxious to reach home and was anxious to reach home as quickly as possible. He planned to take his card to the foreman the next morning for reintatement, a provision sometimes exercised in such cases.
These circumstances were verified by Bhola. He claimed that he had punched Nathu’s card the same time he punched his own, not being conscious of any wrongdoing.
The Personnel Director was inclined to believe the story of the two men but did not feel he could reverse the action taken. He recognized that these men were good workers and had good records prior to this incident. Nevertheless, they had violated a rule for which the penalty was immediate discharge. He also reminded them that it was the policy of the company to enforce the rules without exception.
A few days later the Personnel Director, the plant Manager, and the Sales Manager sat together at lunch. The Sales Manager reported that he was faced with the necessity of notifying one of their best customers that his order must be delayed because of the inability of one department to conform to schedule. The department in question was the one from which the two workers had been discharged. Not only had men to date, but disgruntlement over the incident had led to significant decline in the cooperation of other workers.
The Personnel Director and the Sales Manager took the position that the discharge of these two valuable men could have been avoided if there had been provision for considering the incident was costly to the company in the possible loss of a costomer,in the dissatisfaction within the employee group, and in the time and money that would be involved in recruiting and training replacements.
The Plant Manager could not agree with this point of view. “ We must have rules if we ar and the rules are no good unless we enforce them. Further more, if we start considering all these variations in circumstances, we start considering all these variations in circumstances, we will find ourselves loaded down with everybody thinking he is an exception.” He admitted that the grievances were frequent but countered with the point that they could be of little consequence if the contract agreed to by the union was followed to the letter.
1 Place yourself in the position of the Personnel Director in this situation. Which of the following
courses of the information which he has available at the time of the decision?
Would you have discharged both men?
Would you have discharged Bhola only?
Would you have discharged Nathu only?
Would you have discharged neither of them?
Justify your choice of decision.
What policy and procedural changes would you recommend for the handling of future cases of this
A: (d) Would you have discharged neither of them? Justify your choice of decision.
Expert answered||Points 60|Get an answer
New answers
0 questions answered
Popular Conversations
Aristotle was a student of Plato's.
Weegy: Most collisions are caused by
driver's attitude.
Weegy: Parasites can be protozoa, fungi, or multicellular organisms. TRUE.
Developmental disabilities cannot be cured. TRUE.
Weegy: Classification of living things takes into consideration all of the following except: presence of cell ...Weegy: Myasthenia gravis is a type of
immune disorder.
User: What surgical procedure involves breaking an ankylosed ...Weegy: The lungs are the primary organ of the: respiratory system.
User: Endorphins are manufactured by the brain to ...Weegy: During puberty you need more food and oxygen to grow.
User: Each cell in your body contains
chromosomes.
Weegy: The condition of equilibrium that results in the displacement of the mantle by the continental and oceanic crust ...Weegy:
Pacific Ring of Fire is another name for Circum-Pacific Belt
Weegy Stuff
SPoints 1 [Total 1]
Comments 1
Invitations 0 OfflineSPoints 1 [Total 1]
Comments 1
Invitations 0 Offline有没有那么一首英文歌让你听一遍就单曲循环了? - 知乎43122被浏览1128097分享邀请回答/r/P0R2bsnEwpS9rY0N9xEt (二维码自动识别)2.1K262 条评论分享收藏感谢收起7.3K584 条评论分享收藏感谢收起查看更多回答13 个回答被折叠()}

我要回帖

更多关于 say you won百度云 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信