A mother is she who can take thtake placee of all oth

Alice’s mother died when she was five. Although her brothers and sisters were loving and caring, their love couldn’t take the place of a mother’s. In 1925 Alice became my mother and told me that he 题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
暑假天气热?在家里学北京名师课程,
& 题目详情
Alice’s mother died when she was five. Although her brothers and sisters were loving and caring, their love couldn’t take the place of a mother’s. In 1925 Alice became my mother and told me that her family couldn’t even afford her a doll.One afternoon in December 1982, when I was getting ready for Christmas, I suddenly decided to buy two dolls, one for my five-year-old daughter, Katie, and one for my old mother.Things went smoothly when a friend told me that his dad, who played Santa Claus in my area, would be willing to make a visit on Christmas morning to our home with the gifts! Knowing that my parents would also come to my house, I began to get ready for the most memorable day of my mother’s life.Christmas Day arrived and so did Santa Claus at the planned time. Katie was very excited and happy all the time to welcome the Santa. My mother was enjoying watching Katie welcoming this special guest. As Santa turned to leave he looked again into his bag and took out one more gift. As he asked who Alice was, my mother, without thinking of her name being called, said that she in fact was Alice. Santa handed her the gift with a message card that read:For Alice:I was cleaning out my sleigh (雪橇) before my trip this year and came across this package that should be sent on December 25, 1925. The gift inside has aged, but I felt that you might still wish to have it. Many apologies for the lateness of the gift.Love,Santa ClausMy mother was very excited and deeply moved to tears. She couldn’t speak but only held tightly in her arms the doll she had waited fifty-seven years to receive as tears of joy flew down her face. That doll made my mother the happiest “child”.【小题1】Why couldn’t Alice get a doll as a child?A.Because her mother died quite early. B.Because her family disliked her. C.Because her family was very poor. D.Because Alice didn’t love dolls. 【小题2】What did the friend’s father do that Christmas morning?A.He acted as Santa Claus to send Christmas gifts. B.He went to her home to see Alice. C.He bought some Christmas gifts for Katie. D.He helped her to get Christmas gifts ready. 【小题3】Why didn’t Alice expect there was also a gift for her?A.The gifts from Santa Claus were usually for children. B.The gift was forgotten many years ago. C.The gift for her was bought by accident on the way. D.The gifts for Katie were enough to share with her. 【小题4】The author wrote the message card in order to _________.A.show her deep apology to her mother B.make it clear that Santa Claus didn’t forget her C.show that Santa Claus was hard-working D.make Alice believe the gift was exactly for her 【小题5】From the last paragraph we can infer that _________.A.old people still keeps something of childishness B.we should always give our parents a surprise C.old people usually feel lonely on festivals D.we should spend more time with our parents
【小题1】C【小题2】A【小题3】A【小题4】D【小题5】A
解析试题分析:作者母亲早年丧母、家境贫寒,连一个玩具娃娃都买不起。作者57岁那一年的圣诞节,作者为母亲买了一只玩具娃娃送给母亲作为圣诞礼物,让母亲深为感动。【小题1】细节题。由文章第一段and told me that her family couldn’t even afford her a doll.可知,作者母亲因为家境贫寒而买不起玩具娃娃。故C项正确。【小题2】细节题。由第三段…a friend told me that his dad, who played Santa Claus in my area, would be willing to make a visit on Christmas morning to our home with the gifts可知,作者朋友的父亲扮演圣诞老人。故A项正确。act as: 扮作、充当。【小题3】推断题。由第四段my mother, without thinking of her name being called, said that she in fact was Alice一句可知,作者母亲没有想到会叫到她的名字,这是因为圣诞礼物通常是不送给成年人的。故A项正确。【小题4】推断题。因为圣诞礼物通常送给儿童,作者担心母亲不相信玩具娃娃会送给一个老人,所以以圣诞老人的口吻写了那张纸条。故选择D项。【小题5】细节题。由文章最后一句That doll made my mother the happiest “child”.可知,母亲当时快乐得像个“孩子”。老人身上也还保持着某种童真童趣。故选择A项。考点:记叙文。
科目:高中英语
题型:阅读理解
On a freezing-cold February morning in Indiana, Jhaqueil Reagan,18, left home to walk to a job interview—ten miles away, over snow-covered roads.Reagan had been looking for work for months. His mother had died two years earlier, and he was the only caretaker of his younger brother, Cole, 16, and sister, Jazzlyn, seven. He was desperate for a regular salary after cutting lawns(草坪) and doing other temporaryjobs.Three hours into his hard trip, Reagan had covered only three miles. He paused outside a Cajun restaurant called Papa Roux to ask for directions from owner Art Bouvier, who was clearing ice and snow from the parking lot. “I told him to get on the bus,” says Bouvier. “He thanked me and went on his way.”Fifteen minutes later, Bouvier pulled up in his car beside Reagan as he walked along. “You’ve really got to be on the bus,” he told Reagan. “I don’t have money for the bus,” Reagan replied. Bouvier offered him a lift. On the way, he asked the boy about his job search.“I thought, This is the kind of kid I want working for me,” says Bouvier. He got the teen’s phone number and dropped him off for his interview.Later that day, Bouvier wrote about Reagan on Facebook. “He doesn’t know it yet, but he starts on Monday,” Bouvier wrote. “It’s been a while since I’ve met someone so young with a work ethic(伦理) like that!” A few hours later, Bouvier called to offer Reagan a job. Shocked, the teen accepted on the spot. A television reporter caught wind of the story and interviewed the pair on camera that night.Today, Reagan is washing dishes, filling orders, and greeting Papa Roux customers for $8.50 an hour. The publicity(宣传) has brought in so many new customers that Bouvier plans to open a second restaurant by the end of the year.【小题1】Why did Jhaqueil Reagan have to find a job ?A.Because he had to make enough money to support his family.&B.Because his parents had died two years earlier.&C.Because he wanted to change his job.&D.Because he was desperate for a good job.&【小题2】Which of the following can be used to replace the underlined part in the sixth paragraph ?A.reported&B.delivered&C.heard&D.told&【小题3】Which of the following words best describes Bouvier?A.honest&B.warm-hearted&C.modest&D.independent&【小题4】What’s the best title of the passage ?A.A Young Man Who Had an Interview&B.A Young Man Who Found a Job&C.A Boss Who Offered a Job&D.A Boss Who Took a Chance&
When Regina Mary' parents refused to let her get a horse ,the smart 15-year-olddidn’t sit in her room and complain. Instead she turned to a cow called Luna to make her riding dreams come true. Hours of training ,and tons of treats later, the results are impressive: not only do the two regularly go on long rides through the southern German countryside, they can even do some difficult jumps successfully. Regina joked while sitting on her brown-and-white companion: “It’s unbelievable really , She thinks she’s a horse.”
The pairs unlikely friendship started about two years ago, shortly after Luna was born on the Mayer’s farm. They&started off with walks in the woods. Then Mayer slowly got her cow more adapted to human contact and riding equipment. About six months later, it was time to see how Luna would respond to a rider on her back in a competition for horses. Mayer sat in the saddle(马鞍),and all went as planned. “She was really well behaved and walked normally, but after a couple of meters, she wanted to get me off her back! You could see that she got a bit peeved.” said Mayer.& Luna and Mayer are now soul mates, spending most afternoons together once the teen—who dreams of becoming a nurse one day—come home from school. 【小题1】The underlined word “peeved” in paragraph 4 probably means ________.A.excitedB.sorryC.angryD.puzzled【小题2】 Regina’s plan is to be ________ in the future. A.an animal trainerB.a horse riderC.a farmerD.a nurse【小题3】 The passage mainly talks about ________.A.a cow performing in a horse competitionB.a German girl training a cow successfullyC.the way of gaining friendship from a cowD.the efforts of a cow to adapt to riding equipment
Mrs. Janes gave music lessons at a school.She had a good voice and enjoyed singing, except that some of her high tones sound like a gate that had forgotten to oil.Mrs. Janes knew her weakness well, and took every chance she could find to practise these high notes. As she lived in a small house, where she could not practise without disturbing the rest of the family, she usually went for long walks along the country roads whenever she had time and practised her high notes there.Whenever she heard a car or a person coming along the road, she stopped and waited until she could no longer be heard before she started practicing again, because she was a shy person.One afternoon, a fast, opened car came up behind her so silently and so fast that she didn’t hear it until it was only a few yards from her.She was singing some of her highest and most difficult tones at that time and as the car passed, she saw an anxious expression came over the driver’s face.He stopped his car suddenly, jumped out and began to examine all his tyres carefully.Mrs. Janes didn’t dare to tell him what the noise he had heard really was, so he got back into the car and drove off.【小题1】How did Mrs. Janes sing?A.She sang well, but she didn’t practise singing hard.B.She enjoyed singing, but she had a terrible voice.C.She was a good singer, but she could not sing the high tones well.D.She sang terribly, she was no singer at all.【小题2】Why did she go for long walks along the country roads?A.Because she enjoyed the country’s fresh air.B.Because she was afraid to disturb the rest of the family.C.Because she lived in a small house far away.D.Because she was afraid to practise the high tones.【小题3】Why did the driver stop his car suddenly and jump out of it?A.Because he supposed something must have gone wrong with his car.B.Because he was moved by the pretty voice of Mrs. Janes.C.Because he wondered what had happened to Mrs. Janes.D.Because he frightened by the terrible voice of Mrs. Janes.
I learned how our attitudes made a big difference in our everyday lives from my friend Mary.She doesn’t have any pets. I happened to see her outside on a -30 degree morning walking a dog. I felt sorry for Mary, out there walking a dog that’s not hers in such cold weather. I thought maybe she was saying to herself, “Yeah, this is why I don’t have any pets! I hate walking dogs.” Later that day I saw Mary and said, “I saw you out there walking a dog this morning. Are you unhappy because you had to walk it on such a cold day?” To my surprise, she said that she enjoyed getting out there and walking the dog and that she got good exercise because of the dog. She also said she had talked to her brother, the dog’s owner, who was on holiday in Orlando, Florida with his family. He said his children were enjoying Disney World and the resorts (胜地). His four-year-old son had breakfast with Mickey Mouse and said it was the best day in his life. Mary said, “If I can help my brother and his family have a wonderful time relaxing for a week, knowing that their pet is being loved and cared for, what more could I ask for?” She added, “It’s worth it for me to make the sacrifice (牺牲) so that they can go and have fun.” I learned a lesson from Mary. 【小题1】What do we know about Mary?A.She liked exercising outside before that day. B.In fact she likes taking care of dogs very much. C.She likes helping others. D.She was sorry for not going on holiday with her brother. 【小题2】Why did the author feel sorry for Mary?A.It was a cold morning. B.He thought Mary was suffering because of others. C.Mary didn’t have any pets. D.He found Mary was unhappy to walk the dog. 【小题3】Mary’s brother and his family could have a wonderful holiday because __________.A.the children could have breakfast with Mickey Mouse B.the children enjoyed Disney World and the resorts C.Mary did not go with them D.Mary looked after their dog 【小题4】What lesson did the author learn from Mary?A.Traveling is fun, and walking dogs is also fun. B.Walking dogs will make you feel warm. C.Helping others is also a kind of enjoyment. D.Walking dogs is also a kind of exercise. 【小题5】What can we infer from the passage?A.The author mistook Mary that morning. B.Mary would raise a dog after helping her brother. C.Mary made a lot of sacrifices for her brother. D.Mary disliked raising any pets.
A couple had a son eleven years after they married. They were a loving couple and the boy was the apple of their eye. When the boy was around four years old, one day the father was very tired after work so he asked his wife to pick up their son. The mother, who was very busy in the kitchen, totally forgot about it.Later the boy lost his way on the street. When the son was found missing, the mother hurried to look for him, but she didn’t find him. The mother felt very sad and didn’t know how to face her husband.When the father went to the police station after hearing that the son was missing, he looked at his wife and said just four words. What do you think the four words were? The husband just said "I love you, darling."The son was missing. If she had picked him up earlier, this would not have happened. There is no point in blaming (责备) anyone. His wife had also lost her only child. What his wife needed at that moment was comfort and understanding from her husband. That is what the husband gave his wife. Several weeks later, with the help of the police, the couple finally found their lost son. The family’s relationship became stronger over that time.Sometimes we spend lots of time asking who is to blame. We miss many chances to give each other support and let each other feel the warmth of human relationships. Get rid of all your unwillingness to forgive, selfishness, and fears and you will find the world is much more wonderful. 【小题1】What is the meaning of the underlined phrase “the apple of their eye”A.A person who always has a sweet smile in their opinion.B.A person who is as pretty as an apple in their opinion.C.A person who is loved more than anyone else in their opinion.D.A person who looks like an apple in their opinion.【小题2】Why didn’t the father pick the boy up himself?A.He was very lazy.B.He thought the mother had picked him up.C.He forgot to pick him up.D.He was too tired to do it.【小题3】What can we learn from this passage?A.Be careful in everything you do. B.Love is the most important thing.C.Learn to forgive others.D.Everyone can make mistakes.【小题4】What do you think of the husband?A.Warm-hearted.B.Careful.C.Hard-working.D.Broad-minded.
John H. Johnson was born in a black family in Arkansas city in 1918. His father died in an accident when John was six. He was reaching the high school age, but his hometown offered no high school for blacks.Fortunately he had a strong-willed (意志坚强的) caring mother. John remembered that his mother told him many times, “Son, you can be anything you want really to be if you just believe.” She told him not to depend on others, including his mother. “You have to earn success, ”she said. “All the people who work hard don’t succeed, but the only people who do succeed are those who work hard.”These words came from a woman with less than a third grade education. She also knew that believing and hard work don’t mean everything. So she worked hard as a cook for two years to save enough to take her son, who was then 15, to Chicago.Chicago in 1933 was not the promised land that black southerners were looking for. John’s mother and stepfather could not find work. But here John could go to school, and here he learned the power of words—as an editor of the newspaper and yearbook at Du Sable High School .His wish was to publish a magazine for blacks.While others discouraged him, John’s mother offered him more words to live by. “Nothing beats a failure but a try. ”She also let him pawn(典当)her furniture to get the $ 500 he needed to start the Negro magazine.It is natural that difficulties and failures followed John closely until he became very successful. He always keeps his mother’s words in mind.“Son, failure is not in your vocabulary!”Now John H. Johnson is one of the 400 richest people in America—worth $ 150 million.【小题1】John’s mother decided to move to Chicago because _____.A.his father died when John was very young B.life was too hard for them to stay on in their hometown C.John needed more education badly D.there were no schools for Negroes in their hometown 【小题2】John’s mother______A.didn’t believe in or depend on others B.thought one could be whatever one wanted to be C.believed one would succeed without working hard D.thought no one could succeed without working hard 【小题3】The underlined sentence “Nothing beats a failure but a try. ” means _____.A.if you try, you would succeed B.a failure is difficult to beat, even if you try C.a try is always followed by a failure D.no failure can be beaten unless you try 【小题4】The story mainly tells us _____.A.how John H. Johnson became successful B.about the mental (心理的) support John’s mother gave him C.about the importance of a good education D.about the key to success for blacks
Not too long ago, our teacher, being a “tree-hugger” (as the kids call her), had us write an essay on an environmental issue . I was eager to start, but something made me stop.“What is an environmental issue ?” one kid asked . “What if we don’t care about the environment ?” another complained. “ It’s not like it affects me .”These comments astounded me .I have always cared about the environment and assumed that others did too. From the surprised look on my teacher’s face, I could tell she felt the same way.In no time, I finished my essay . In my essay I wrote about logging(伐木), which is an important industry, but if we continue to cut down trees without replacing them, it will damage the environment.There are so many things that we can do to save our world. Recycling, of course, is always a good thing, but not everyone has a recycling plant nearby ( I don’t ) . There are other ways to help the environment . Plant a tree. Don’t waste water.I can’t stand it when a person’s excuse for not caring is “Nothing’s going to happen in my lifetime, so why should I care ?” Sure, the chances of something terrible happening are slim, but I want people to realize that if we don’t deal with it, someone will have to eventually. Do you want that to be your children ?When my teacher told me to read my essay to my class, I was a little embarrassment because I didn’t want everyone to call me “tree- hugger”. I realize now that if being a tree-hugger means you cares about the environment, I’m a tree-hugger 100 percent. I just wish more people were too.【小题1】Why do the students call her teacher “tree-hugger” ?A.She likes hugging trees. B.She knows a lot about trees. C.She grew up in the country. D.She cares a lot about the environment. 【小题2】The underlined word in Paragraph 3 can be replaced by ____.A.helped B.changed C.shocked D.interested 【小题3】Paragraph 5 is mainly about ____.A.what we can recycle B.how we can save the earth C.why we should protect the earth D.what damage we are doing to the earth 【小题4】We can infer from the text that _____A.the students don’t like the teacher B.the teacher liked the author’s essay C.the author is ashamed of being a tree-hugger D.the author should have written a better essay
Mr. Grey was the manager of a small office in London. He lived in the country, and came up to work by train. He liked walking from the station to his office unless it was raining, because it gave him some exercise. One morning he was walking along the street when a stranger stopped him and said to him, “You may not remember me, sir, but seven years ago I came to London without a penny in my pockets, I stopped you in this street and asked you to lend me some money, and you lent me & 5, because you said you were willing to take a chance so as to give a man a start on the way to success.”Mr Grey thought for a few minutes and then said, “Yes, I remember you. Go on with your story!” “Well,” answered the stranger, “are you still willing to take a chance?”【小题1】How did Mr. Grey get to his office?A.He went up to work by train. B.He walked to his office. C.He went to his office on foot unless it rained. D.He usually took a train to the station and then walked to his office if the weather was fine. 【小题2】Mr Grey liked walking to his office because ________.A.he couldn’t afford the buses B.he wanted to save money C.he wanted to keep in good health D.he could do some exercises on the way 【小题3】Mr. Grey had been willing to lend money to a stranger in order to_______A.give him a start in life B.help him on the way to success C.make him rich D.gain more money 【小题4】One morning the stranger recognized Mr. Grey, and_______A.wanted to return Mr. Grey the money B.again asked Mr. Grey for money C.would like to make friends with him D.told Mr. Grey that he had been successful since then
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号}

我要回帖

更多关于 take place of 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信