You must do mecall to this musthorror

All this I did without you - 简书
All this I did without you
(摘自 Gerald Durrell: An Authorized Biography by Douglas Botting -1999):My darling McGeorge,You said that things seemed clearer when they were written down. Well, here with a very boring letter in which I will try and put everything down so that you may read and re-read it in horror at your folly in getting involved with me. Deep breath.To begin with I love you with a depth and passion that I have felt for no one else in this life and if it astonishes you it astonishes me as well. Not, I hasten to say, because you are not worth loving. Far from it. It’s just that, first of all, I swore I would not get involved with another woman. Secondly, I have never had such a feeling before and it is almost frightening. Thirdly, I would never have thought it possible that another human being could occupy my waking (and sleeping) thoughts to the exclusion of almost everything else. Fourthly, I never thought that – even if one was in love – one could get so completely besotted with another person, so that a minute away from them felt like a thousand years. Fifthly, I never hoped, aspired, dreamed that one could find everything one wanted in one person. I was not such an idiot as to believe this was possible. Yet in you I have found everything I want: you are beautiful, gay, giving, gentle, idiotically and deliciously feminine, sexy, wonderfully intelligent and wonderfully silly as well. I want nothing else in this life than to be with you, to listen and watch you (your beautiful voice, your beauty), to argue with you, to laugh with you, to show you things and share things with you, to explore your magnificent mind, to explore your wonderful body, to help you, protect you, serve you, and bash you on the head when I think you are wrong … Not to put too fine a point on it I consider that I am the only man outside mythology to have found the crock of gold at the rainbow’s end.But – having said all that – let us consider things in detail. Don’t let this become public but … well, I have one or two faults. Minor ones, I hasten to say. For example, I am inclined to be overbearing. I do it for the best possible motives (all tyrants say that) but I do tend (without thinking) to tread people underfoot. You must tell me when I am doing it to you, my sweet, because it can be a very bad thing in a marriage.Right. Second blemish. This, actually, is not so much a blemish of character as a blemish of circumstance. Darling I want you to be you in your own right and I will do everything I can to help you in this. But you must take into consideration that I am also me in my own right and that I have a headstart on you … What I am trying to say is that you must not feel offended if you are sometimes treated simply as my wife. Always remember that what you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts. But I am an established ‘creature’ in the world, and so – on occasions – you will have to live in my shadow. Nothing gives me less pleasure than this but it is a fact of life that has to be faced.Third (and very important and nasty) blemish: jealousy. I don’t think you know what jealousy is (thank God) in the real sense of the word. I know that you have felt jealousy over Lincoln’s wife and child, but this is what I call normal jealousy, and this – to my regret – is not what I’ve got. What I have got is a black monster that can pervert my good sense, my good humour and any goodness that I have in my make-up. It is really a Jekyll and Hyde situation … my Hyde is stronger than my good sense and defeats me, hard though I try. As I told you, I have always known that this lurks within me, but I could control it, and my monster slumbered and nothing happened to awake it. Then I met you and I felt my monster stir and become half awake when you told me of Lincoln and others you have known, and with your letter my monster came out of its lair, black, irrational, bigoted, stupid, evil, malevolent. You will never know how terribly c it is a physical pain as though you had swallowed acid or red hot coals. It is the most terrible of feelings. But you can’t help it – at least I can’t, and God knows I’ve tried. I don’t want any ex-boyfriends sitting in church when I marry you. On our wedding day I want nothing but happiness, both for you and me, and I know I won’t be happy if there is a church full of your ex-conquests. When I marry you I will have no past, only a future: I don’t want to drag my past into our future and I don’t want you to do it, either. Remember I am jealous of you because I love you. You are never jealous of something you don’t care about. O.K. enough about jealousy.Now let me tell you somethingI have seen a thousand sunsets and sunrises, on land where it floods forest and mountains with honey coloured light, at sea where it rises and sets like a blood orange in a multicoloured nest of cloud, slipping in and out of the vast ocean. I have seen a thousand moons: harvest moons like gold coins, winter moons as white as ice chips, new moons like baby swans’ feathers.I have seen seas as smooth as if painted, coloured like shot silk or blue as a kingfisher or transparent as glass or black and crumpled with foam, moving ponderously and murderously.I have felt winds straight from the South Pole, bleak and waili winds as tender and warm as a lover’ winds that carried the astringent smell of salt and t winds that carried the moist rich smell of a forest floor, the smell of a million flowers. Fierce winds that churned and moved the sea like yeast, or winds that made the waters lap at the shore like a kitten.I have known silence: the cold, earthy silence at the bottom the implacable stony si the hot, drugged midday silence when everything is hypnotised and stilled into silence b the silence when great music ends.I have heard summer cicadas cry so that the sound seems stitched into your bones. I have heard tree frogs in an orchestration as complicated as Bach singing in a forest lit by a million emerald fireflies. I have heard the Keas calling over grey glaciers that groaned to themselves like old people as they inched their way to the sea. I have heard the hoarse street vendor cries of the mating Fur seals as they sang to their sleek golden wives, the crisp staccato admonishment of the Rattlesnake, the cobweb squeak of the Bat and the belling roar of the Red deer knee-deep in purple heather. I have heard Wolves baying at a winter’s moon, Red howlers making the forest vibrate with their roaring cries. I have heard the squeak, purr and grunt of a hundred multi-coloured reef fishes.I have seen hummingbirds flashing like opals round a tree of scarlet blooms, humming like a top. I have seen flying fish, skittering like quicksilver across the blue waves, drawing silver lines on the surface with their tails. I have seen Spoonbills flying home to roost like a scarlet banner across the sky. I have seen Whales, black as tar, cushioned on a cornflower blue sea, creating a Versailles of fountain with their breath. I have watched butterflies emerge and sit, trembling, while the sun irons their wings smooth. I have watched Tigers, like flames, mating in the long grass. I have been dive-bombed by an angry Raven, black and glossy as the Devil’s hoof. I have lain in water warm as milk, soft as silk, while around me played a host of Dolphins. I have met a thousand animals and seen a thousand wonderful things … but –All this I did without you. This was my loss.All this I want to do with you. This will be my gain.All this I would gladly have forgone for the sake of one minute of your company, for your laugh, your voice, your eyes, hair, lips, body, and above all for your sweet, ever surprising mind which is an enchanting quarry in which it is my privilege to delve.Letter to his fiancée Lee, (31 July 1978), published in Gerald Durrell: An Authorized Biography by Douglas Botting (1999)
Why Stock Markets CrashThis page intentionally left blankWhy Stock Markets CrashCritical Events in ComplexFinancial SystemsD i d i e r S ...
**2014真题Directions:Read the following text. Choose the best word(s) for each numbered blank and mark A,B,C or D on the ANSWER SHEET.(10 p...
cs.AI - 人工智能cs.CL - 计算与语言cs.CV - 机器视觉与模式识别cs.CY - 计算与社会cs.DC - 分布式、并行与集群计算cs.DL - 数字图书馆cs.IR - 信息检索cs.IT - 信息论cs.LG - 自动学习cs.LO - 计算逻辑cs....
中文译文基于1996年中国文史出版社《轰炸文明——发往人类未来的死亡通知单》,原译者王小东 INTRODUCTION 介绍 1. The Industrial Revolution and itsconsequences have been a disaster for t...
A New Dawn Arisesby Dawn McMahon Chapter 1 The Arising To celebrate my transformation and to increase the effect of myfeminization, Mistr...
情绪不定时、高涨低落,成长是一瞬间的事。 对于我这种别人口中懂事的人来说,大概应该存在的就是变得更理性而已。对我而言,“慌乱”未必是坏事,在工作散漫时、在无所事事时、在皮肤变差时、在体重增加时……等等。 因为有了危机感,往往这些时候对自己更加苛刻和严厉,相对起到的作用让我感...
读本报告,分享一下。 中国互联网的发展已经走过22年,创业创新也成为全民时尚。 但自2013年以来不断受到追捧的互联网创新、创业,已经在不断降温。创业公司开始回归商业本质,通过烧钱亏损换取市场份额、制造新奇的概念博取市场关注,这些手段正在逐渐成为明日黄花。轻浮的打法不再受到...
生命是一个圆 从前的从前 就在未来 远方的远方 就是故乡 所有的离别 都是为了重逢 每一次结束 也是新的开始 深秋的果实里 驻扎着春天的种子 (娜吉玛速写于2017圣诞节前泸沽湖畔)
1. 昨天和两个中学好友聚会,还是提前好几天就安排好的,也是我定的时间。 结果到了前一天,我突然给她们发了则消息,还带有点指责的口吻: “你们怎么也不提醒我,我们八号出来,可九号是七夕耶,我们为什么不选择那一天出来聚呢,我都没有意识到!” “对啊,我们也想说来着,我们几个单...
按他人的评价来说,我是能对自己下狠劲的人。 也就是因了这个评价,我越觉落寞,不是因为这个评价看似凄凉;而是因了我身边的环境里的人,纵然对生活种种抱怨,却已经不再去进行任何改变,就这样无知无觉地走下去。 看过一些书籍,遇到一些人,见识了别人努力的样子,以及对自己下狠劲的模样。...Cinema Monolith | Reviews of movies from my giant DVD tower, and more.关于电影的英语对话
关于电影的英语对话
学习啦【英语口语】 玉莲
  电影,是由活动照相术和幻灯放映术结合发展起来的一种连续的视频画面。下面是学习啦小编给大家整理的关于电影的英语对话,供大家参阅!
  关于电影的英语对话篇1
  A:Hi,jack.What types of film do you like?
  B:Hi,peter.The horror movies and action films are my favorite. A:Who are your favorite film stars?
  B:Hollywood stars.
  A:Oh,have you seen any good films recently?
  B:Good films,you guess.
  A:Year,have you seen the new film&Beauty and the Beast&. B:Oh,I watched.The film is a big hit.
  A:Could you remember what the film is about?
  B:It is said a love story that happened in an old castle.
  A:Yes,the male leading role become beast with love.At the ending,the beast become a man with love.What has impressed you most in the film?
  B:The plot that the god of the forest open the path to the castle for the female leading role impressed me most.
  关于电影的英语对话篇2
  A:Hi,vivian,have you seen any good movies recently?
  B:You guess?
  A:The horror movies?Our favourite!
  B:yeah,you are right!I have watched the film &1408&,based on the story of Stephen King
  A:Oh,I see.He is a very famous writer who is good at Suspense and horror novel.The film&The Shawshank Redemption&is based on his novel too.Could you tell me what is the film about?
  B:It is said that there is a ghost in the Room 1408 of a hotel.The actor did not believe there is any ghosts in the world.So he live into that room to verify it.In this room he undergone many horror things. At last He was scared to death.
  A:The film is atracted to me . Haveing watched a lot of horrer movies you think how many kinds of them?
  B:Overall,two kinds.psychological and visual.For example the Japanese film &The Grudge&is belong to the first kind,in the process of seeing you always feel fear from heart.And the American film &Final Destination&is belong to the second one .in the process of seeing you only feel bloody and nausea.I prefer the first one .
  A:I can.not agree more!western countrys tend to make bloody movies and Eastern countrys tend to make psychological horror movies
  B:You means film types are different from countrys
  A:Sure!Culture differences!
  B:Could you express it in detail?
  A:Chinese films are most based on myth.for example &liaozhaizhiyi& tell the stories about the love or hate between the gJapanese films tell us the power of curse,human always be killed without reason only because they touch the cursed things or people.The Thailand movie are meanly about tradional wichcraft,in that country 99%people believe in Buddhism.The American films pay the attention to the visual effect because they have advanced technology.
  B:En,but no matter which kinds of horror movies we see ,they reveal the same opinion that bad people will be punished for what they have done.
  A:You get the point,we should keep kind mind and pure soul.
  B:Now,most people are afraid of seeing horror movies ,especially girls ,and as a good friend of you ,I know you are an exception.Why you like to see these movies so much ?
  A:Sometimes I feel boring and life is lack of nerve-jangling,and most movies are lenthy .The thrilling plot in the horror movies can make me exciting and guess what will happen next.But now seeing horror movies is bad for our health, what do you think ?
  B:Yes,the statement is reasonable. A scientific research shows that seeing horror movies has 20% advantage and 80% disadvantage. Of course seeing horror movies can improve our courage but at the same time we feel too much pressure.It does harm to our hearts especially to people have heart disease.So we can see horror movies but just occasionally.
  A:Yeah,that is why the film companty can not get high profits from horror movies ,so
  they prefer to make Commercial movie such as action movies ,romance movies ,comedy movies
  B:um, I suppose so .Do you have time this weekend ?
  B:Shall we go to see the film&Limitless&?
  A:how is the evaluation to the film ?
  B:Very good It is played by the famous actor actor Robert De Niro who you like very much .
  A:He is my idol!He has fine acting an have played many film.His performance in the film &texi driver & is my most favourate.
  B:Have you got the time?
  A:Um,what about one oclock
  B:One oclock.I had better go
  A:Ok see you then
  B:See you
  关于电影的英语对话篇3
  A Do you have any hobbies ?
  B My hobby is very wide, reading ,swimming ,walking and so on .But I like
  watching movies most .
  A I also like watching movies, I like to watch most of the film is a TV
  drama .What about you ?
  B So do i .
  A Which movie do you like best ?
  B Titanic .
  A Oh .The film is too classic .Do you still remember the film classic lines?
  B Of course .If I am Jack in the movie, you are Rose.
  A OK.Let's say a few words of classic dialogue .I say first .
  A ROSE :I'm so cold.I can't feel my body.
  B JACK: Rose, listen to me. Listen.It brought me to you. And I'm thankful, Rose.I'm thankful.
  B JACK: You must do me this honor... promise me you will survive... that you
  will never give up... no matter what happens... no matter how hopeless... promise
  me now, and never let go of that promise.
  A ROSE:I promise.
  B JACK:Never let go.
  A ROSE:I promise. I will never let go, Jack. I'll never let go.
  B Oh.I'm going to cry, this film is really very romantic .
  A Yes.Do you want to revisit the movie ?
  B That's great.Let's go.
[关于电影的英语对话]相关的文章
【英语口语】图文推荐New Delhi: National Investigation Agency (NIA) officer Tanzil Ahmed was shot dead by two unidentified motorcycle-borne assailants who also wounded his wife when they were returning home from a wedding in UP's Bijnor town.
Here is the video showing his children recounting horror of the br this will move you to tears. It's a must watch:-
Farzana, the wife of Tanzil Ahmed, is recovering from bullet injuries at a hospital in Noida.
Her condition is still critical.
Ahmed, known for undercover operations, joined the NIA in 2010.
Delhi government has announced Rs one crore compensation to the kin of the NIA officer.
Must Watch
TRENDING TOPICS
Zee Media Corporation Ltd (An Essel Group Company), All rights reserved.
mobile apps
By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking
zeenews.india.com understands that your privacy is important to you and we
are committed for being transparent about the technologies we use.& This
cookie policy explains how and why cookies and other similar technologies may
be stored on and accessed from your device when you use or visit zeenews.india.com
websites that posts a link to this Policy (collectively, “the sites”). This
cookie policy should be read together with our&.
By continuing to browse or
use our sites, you agree that we can store and access cookies and other
tracking technologies as described in this policy.
What are Cookies and Other Tracking
Technologies?
is a small text file that can be stored on and accessed from your device when
you visit one of our sites, to the extent you agree.& The other tracking
technologies work similarly to cookies and place small data files on your
devices or monitor your website activity to enable us to collect information
about how you use our sites. This allows our sites to recognize your device
from those of other users on our sites. The information provided below about
cookies also applies to these other tracking technologies.
How do our sites use Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies?
Zeenews.com
use cookies and other technologies to store information in your web browser or
on your mobile phone, tablet, computer, or other devices (collectively
"devices") that allow us to store and receive certain pieces of
information whenever you use or interact with our zeenews.india.com applications
and sites. Such cookies and other technologies helps us to identify you and
your interests, to remember your preferences and to track use of zeenews.india.com
We also use cookies and other tracking technologies to control access to
certain content on our sites, protect the sites, and to process any requests
that you make to us.
use cookies to administer our sites and for research purposes, zeenews.india.com
also has contracted with third-party service providers to track and analyse
statistical usage and volume information from our site users. These third-party
service providers use persistent Cookies to help us improve user experience,
manage our site content, and analyse how users navigate and utilize the sites.
First and Third-party Cookies
First party cookies
These are those cookies that belong to us and which we place on your
device or are those set by a website that is being visited by the user at the
time (e.g., cookies placed by&zeenews.india.com)
Third-party cookies
features used on this website may involve a cookie being sent to your computer
by a third party. For example, if you view or listen to any embedded audio or
video content you may be sent cookies from the site where the embedded content
is hosted. Likewise, if you share any content on this website through social
networks (for example by clicking a Facebook “like” button or a “Tweet” button)
you may be sent cookies from these websites. We do not control the setting of
these cookies so please check the websites of these third parties for more
information about their cookies and how to manage them.
We use the following types of cookies:
Persistent Cookies
persistent cookies to improve your experience of using the sites. This includes
recording your acceptance of our cookie policy to remove the cookie message
which first appears when you visit our site.
Session Cookies&
cookies are temporary and deleted from your machine when your web browser
closes. We use session cookies to help us track internet usage as described
refuse to accept browser Cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your
browser. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access
certain parts of the sites. Unless you have adjusted your browser setting so that
it will refuse cookies, our system will check if cookies can be captured when
you direct your browser to our sites.
The data collected by the sites and/or through Cookies that may be
placed on your computer will not be kept for longer than is necessary to fulfil
the purposes mentioned above. In any event, such information will be kept in
our database until we get explicit consent from you to remove all the stored
We categorize cookies as follows:
Essential Cookies
These cookie are essential to our site in
order to enable you to move around it and to use its features. Without these
essential cookies we may not be able to provide certain services or features
and our site will not perform as smoothly for you as we would like. These
cookies, for example, let us recognize that you have created an account and
have logged in/out to access site content. They also include Cookies that
enable us to remember your previous actions within the same browsing session
and secure our sites.
Analytical/Performance Cookies
These cookies are used by us or by our
third-party service providers to analyse how the sites are used and how they
are performing. For example, these cookies track what content are most
frequently visited, your viewing history and from what locations our visitors
come from. If you subscribe to a newsletter or otherwise register with the
Sites, these cookies may be correlated to you.
Functionality Cookies
These cookies let us operate the sites in
accordance with the choices you make. These cookies permit us to "remember
you” in-between visits. For instance, we will recognize your user name and
remember how you customized the sites and services, for example by adjusting
text size, fonts, languages and other parts of web pages that are alterable,
and provide you with the same customizations during future visits.
Advertising Cookies
These cookies collect information about your activities on our sites as
well as other sites to provide you targeted advertising. We may also allow our
third-party service providers to use cookies on the sites for the same purposes
identified above, including collecting information about your online activities
over time and across different websites. The third-party service providers that
generate these cookies, such as, social media platforms, have their own privacy
policies, and may use their cookies to target advertisement to you on other
websites, based on your visit to our sites.
How do I refuse or withdraw my consent to the use of
do not want cookies to be dropped on your device, you can adjust the setting of
your Internet browser to reject the setting of all or some cookies and to alert
you when a cookie is placed on your device. For further information about how
to do so, please refer to your browser ‘help’ / ‘tool’ or ‘edit’ section for
cookie settings w.r.t your browser that may be Google Chrome, Safari, Mozilla
Firefox etc.
note that if your browser setting is already setup to block all cookies
(including strictly necessary Cookies) you may not be able to access or use all
or parts or functionalities of our sites.
want to remove previously-stored cookies, you can manually delete the cookies
at any time from your browser settings. However, this will not prevent the
sites from placing further cookies on your device unless and until you adjust
your Internet browser setting as described above.
information on the development of user-profiles and the use of
targeting/advertising Cookies, please see&&if you are located in Europe or&&if in the United States.
Contact us
have any other questions about our Cookie Policy, please contact us at:
you require any information or clarification regarding the use of your personal
information or this privacy policy or grievances with respect to use of your
personal information, please email us at response@zeemedia.esselgroup.com.}

我要回帖

更多关于 must to do sth 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信