what iwhat do you mean byfor you is stranger

扫二维码下载作业帮
1.75亿学生的选择
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
1.75亿学生的选择
6.The stranger you saw_____with a big travelling-bag stayed in Room 104 yesterday.A.to come e in C.has come in D.who came in12.——What did you mean by saying that?——I mean no harm.I only____.A.meant heping B.want to help C.meant of help D.want helping41.How about the two of us_____a walk down the garden?A.to take B.take C.taking D.to be taking49.Paul doesn't have to be made _____.He always works hard.A.learn B.to learn C.learned D.learning50.We agreed _____here but so far she hasn't turned up yet.A.having met B.meeting C.to meet D.to have met52.The boy wanted to ride his bicycle in the street ,but his mother told him _____.A.not to B.not to do C.not do it D.do not to54.The patient was warned _____oily food after the operation.A.to eat not B.eating not C.going D.having gone
kjfnn00557
扫二维码下载作业帮
1.75亿学生的选择
保证准确率! 6. B句子主干是:The stranger stayed in Room 104 yesterday.则 you saw_____with a big travelling-bag为定语从句,修饰句子主语the stranger.关系代词who/whom代替先行词the stranger,并在该从句中充当saw的宾语,所以该定语从句的关系代词who/whom可以省略.即:(who/whom) you saw ___ with a big travelling-bag= you saw (who/whom) ___ with a big travelling-bag= you saw (the stranger) ___ with a big travelling-bag很明显,选项为宾语补足语,使用不带to的不定式即动词原形come in即可.即为:you saw the stranger come in with a big travelling-bag12. B翻译:--你说那个是什么意思?--我没有恶意,我只是想帮点忙而已.A.meant heping 意味着帮忙B.want to help 想要帮忙 C.meant of help 无此搭配D.want helping 想要被帮助41. Chow about后面加名词或动名词形式,而 the two of us是选项的逻辑主语,并不是about后面的宾语,所以答案必须选用动名词taking做about后面的宾语.the two of us taking...在语法上被称为动名词的复合结构,具体请楼主自行查阅,不多加解释,见谅. 49. B主动结构为:make Paul ___,则答案为learn即可(不带to的不定式即动词原形做make的宾语补足语);但是句子结构为被动,此时需要补上不定式符号to,所以答案B为正解.再如:I saw him enter the room.被动为:He was seen to enter the room (by me). 50. C固定短语:agree to do sth,意思是“同意做某事”.如果使用D,则表明meet here发生在agreed之前,不符合逻辑. 52. A省略语法,即:but his mother told him not to = but his mother told him not to ride his bicycle in the street不定式to后面如果加行为动词原形构成的短语,且该短语在前句已经出现过,则为避免重复,可以省略(到to为止). 54. CD选项打错了吧?答案应该是:not to eat固定短语 warn sb not to do sth,意思是“警告/提醒某人不要做某事”,变成被动即为:be warned not to do sth.不定式to do sth的否定形式一律是在to前面加上not.
如果对你有所帮助,请点击本页面中的“选为满意回答”按钮,谢谢!
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
扫描下载二维码(巴黎星空代购)
(帛Art创作夹子)
(幸而勿忘矣)
(悠游在巴黎)
(野马是一个人)
第三方登录:Stranger in the House by Julie Summers ~ things mean a lot
In the months that followed the end of the Second World War, over four million British soldiers were demobilised and returned to their homes. Some of these men had only seen their families sporadically
others not at all. The majority of them had trouble returning to a changed world, readjusting to civilian life, and enduring the long-lasting traumas of the war. Though the term “post-traumatic stress disorder” wasn’t coined until the ;s, at this time there was a better understanding of the psychological scars left by such a horrifying experience than there had been after WW1. Still, there were many problems that remained undiscussed, and many stories that remained untold.But
doesn’t focus on the demobilised soldiers themselves, though it fully acknowledges their difficulties. Instead, it focuses on their mothers, wives, girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters: on the women in their lives, many of whom had endured horrors of their own, and who suddenly found themselves face to face with a loved one they no longer recognized. When the men’s war ended, theirs was just about to begin.Stranger in the House is one of the most powerful, personal and moving history books I have ever encountered. Julie Summers based her research on diaries, letters and interviews, so a lot of the time we actually hear these woman’s voices, or at least the testimonies of their descendants. This gives the book a very intimate feel, which is something I really appreciated. Stranger in the House is divided into several sections, titled “The Wife’s Tale”, “The Mother’s Tale”, “The Daughter’s Tale”, “The Granddaughter’s Tale”, etc., each including the stories of several women and covering a very wide range of emotional experiences.As the title suggests, Stranger in the House mainly focuses on how the war eroded relationships: often it opened a gulf so wide between the returned soldiers and their families that took years or even a whole lifetime to cross. Other times, this gulf was never crossed at all. Part of the problem was that many of these women, who had endured bombings, food rationings, and constant anxiety on behalf of their loved ones, felt that their experiences were secondary when compared to direct combat or prisoner’s camps. I wish we didn’t live in a world that compared tragedies and silenced those deemed less worthy. I wish we were better at acknowledging that suffering, courage and endurance come in many shapes. I was very moved by the fact that many of the women Julie Summers interviewed said they had never been asked th that they had waited their whole lives to feel that they had the right to have a voice.Granted, these women made the decision to remain silent about their experiences, but there’s a context for that choice. The following quote is a perfect example of what I mean:‘Mum was unable to share “her” war with dad. Not that he wasn’t interested, I’m sure he would have been, but more that she would not have wanted him to think that she had had a bad time of time. As she used to say, “How could I have done that? His war was so much worse than anything I’d experienced.” How hard must that have been for her?’Reading this made me so sad. I imagine that these women felt that all their feelings of estrangement and dissatisfaction were forbidden – they were supposed to be grateful for all their men had sacrificed, and so if they couldn’t communicate properly after the war, they didn’t really have the right to complain about it.Julie Summers acknowledges these women’s feelings and tells their stories with incredible compassion and kindness. I was particularly interested in the chapter about love and sex during the war. Many married women had affairs, and many unmarried ones went further than they would have gone in different circumstances. The result was the birth of more illegitimate children than ever before – which led to situations such as men who hadn’t been home for four years returning and discovering a two-year-old child. Can you imagine how painful that must have been for everyone involved? But these were desperate circumstances, and as one woman put it, “by this stage in the war love was just about the only thing left unrationed.” On the bright side, Summers says that the stigma associated to unmarried mothers had lessened by the end of the war, simply because there were so many of them.There were also plenty of legitimate children who had never met their fathers, either because they had been conceived at the beginning of the war or while their fathers were home briefly on leave, or because they were babies when the men left home. Reintroducing a man these children only knew from photographs into their lives was often not without its complications.Stranger in the House covers so many different kinds of experiences that I feel like I could sit here all day talking about it. For example, there was a chapter on Far East prisoners of war, men who endured torture, starvation and illness, and most of whom had chronicle health problems after they were released from their captivity.
This chapter made me realise how little I know about the Pacific side of WW2, and vow to do something about it soon. Also, it saddened me to read that these men and their families often remain prejudiced against the Japanese for most of their lives. But fortunately that seems to be dying out.Of course, not all these stories are gloomy. Some of the men readjusted just fine, and their families didn’t have a particularly hard time. Unsurprisingly, the key to a positive experience seems to have been communication. Julie Summers is careful not to generalise or draw conclusions from what is, after all, anecdotal evidence, but the patterns speak for themselves. The more these men and women talked honestly about what they had been through, the easier things became.One final note: it also saddened me to realise that many of the women Julie Summers was writing about, who had been adults at the time of the war, had died in the late 90’s or early ;s. This only makes sense, I know, but doesn’t it upset you to think that the witnesses of WW2 are dying out? I hope that we have asked them all the questions we could ask. I know that there are detailed records of what happened, but there’s something comforting about having a living link to the past.Also, the diary and letter excerpts Julie Summers quoted made me want to seek some out and read them. Many are at the Imperial War Museum and haven’t been published, but I know that there must be plenty of books out there that focus on the domestic, everyday side of the war. Persephones’ Few Eggs and No Oranges by Vere H does anyone know of any others?I’d wholeheartedly recommend Stranger in the House to fans of Sarah Waters’ , of , and of the many
books that deal with WW2 – to anyone interested in the personal impact of large historical events, really, as well as in women’s history. It’s a compassionate, exquisitely researched and memorable book.Favourite bits:There are many tales of the reactions of young children to their fathers coming back. Some hint at the tension that lay beneath the surface only to bubbl others convey the bewilderment of children at having a man introduced, often without ceremony, into their lives, or worse still, into their mother’s bed. ‘Where is Daddy going to live when he comes home?’ asked one six-year-old, who had never seen his father in his living memory. ‘Well, he’ll be living at home, won’t he?’ replied his wiser older sister, who had been four years old when their father left. ‘But where is he doing to sleep?’ the younger boy insisted. ‘Why in Mummy’s bed of course!’ his sister said.
With this the six-year-old ran out of the room crying loudly, ‘But that’s where I sleep! I don’t want him in my bed.’The greatest difficulty, Frances admitted, was that neither of them really understood what the other had been through during their five years of separation. How could she really have any knowledge of what it must have been like to be locked up in a German prisoner of war camp with hundreds of other men, crammed together with almost no privacy and little space for physical activity? He, in turn, she believed, had no comprehension of what she had been through during those five years. He had no knowledge of the Wrens or the WVS (Women’s Voluntary Service)—what was that all about? he wondered. And she came to realise that this gulf of understanding could not be crossed.For women who had worked during the war readjustment to the post-war era was difficult. New-found independence, both financial and emotional, had an impact on relationships and created expectations that could not always be fulfilled. Thousands of women became wives of men who, damaged by their experiences, needed attention and patience for years after the war. For these women the war did not end in 1945. For some it only ended with the death of the man in their care.
(Have you posted about this book too? Let me know and I’ll add your link here.)
Subscribe to:
Currently Reading
Booked by Kwame Alexander
Subscribe by email
Enter your email address:Delivered by
Blog Archive
Blog Archive
January 2017 (3)
December 2016 (5)
November 2016 (2)
October 2016 (2)
September 2016 (4)