去一首英语歌有一段是what ever you doto take是男声挺燃的

unit 1(打印版)
unit 1()
abandon [K'b<ndKn] vt. 1.离弃,丢弃2.遗弃,抛弃3.放弃 【同】 give up 【例】I have long since abandoned the notion that higher education is essential to either success or happiness. 我早就抛弃了高等教育对于成功和幸福都不可或缺这一观念。The cruel man abandoned his wife and child. 那个狠心的男人抛弃了他的妻儿。Most importantly, relatives, neighbours and his teachers should give the very kid as much love as possible to make him feel least abandoned. 最重要的是,亲戚、邻居以及他的老师应尽可能多地爱这些孩子,尽量使他感觉到自己没有被抛弃。abide [K'baid] (常用于否定句和疑问句) 容忍; (by)遵守;信守 【同】 observe 【例】She can't abide that man. 她不能忍受那个人。Law is not our master, if we abide by it, we’ll be able to make it serve up. 法律不是主人,而是仆人。 只要遵守它,就能使用它。Everyone must abide by the law. 所有的人都应遵守法律。abnormal [<b'nO:ml] a. 反常的,异常的 【同】 unnatural 【例】It's abnormal for the boy to eat so much. 这个孩子吃这么多是不正常的。The weather is abnormal this year. 今年的气候不正常。He is mentally abnormal. 他精神不正常。aboard [K'bO:d] prep. 在(船、飞机、车)上,上(船、飞机、车)ad. 在船(或飞机、车)上,上船(或飞机、车) 【例】It's time to go aboard. 该上船/飞机/车了。abolish [K'bOliS] vt. 彻底废除,废止 【同】 do away with 【例】It is my profound hope that my work might prove to be a factor in helping to abolish future wars. 我深切地希望,我的作品能够成为有助于消除未来战争的因素。There are many bad customs and laws that ought to be abolished. 有许多不良的习俗和法规应予以废除。Abraham Lincoln abolished slavery in the United States. 亚伯拉罕·林肯在美国废除了奴隶制。absence ['<bsKns] n. 1.缺席,不在2.缺席的时间,外出期3.缺乏,不存在 【同】 vacancy 【例】When I came back to Dublin, I was court-martialed in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence. 回到都柏林时,我在不在场的情况下受到军法审判,并被缺席判处死刑。我于是说,他们可以在我不在场的时候执行枪决。Please look after my house during my absence. 我不在时,请帮我看房子。absorb [Kb'sO:b] n. 1.吸收2.吸引...的注意,使全神贯注3.把...并入,同化 【例】Dry sand absorbs water. 干沙吸收水份。His business absorbs him. 他的业务使他全神贯注。The clever boy absorbed all the knowledge his teacher could give him. 那个聪明的男孩把他老师所能教他的所有的 知识都吸收了。absorption [Kb'sO:pSn] n.吸收;专注 【同】 concentration 【例】The absorption of several small firms made this group even stronger. 合并了几家小公司后,这个集团更加强大。abstract ['<bstr<kt] a. 1.抽象的2.抽象派的 n. 1.摘要,梗概2.抽象派艺术作品 vt. 1.做...的摘要2.提取,抽取 【同】 digest 【例】Abstract liberty, like other mere abstractions, is not to be found. 抽象的自由就像其他纯粹抽象的事物一样,无从寻觅。We may talk of beautiful things, but beauty itself is abstract. 我们尽可谈论美的事物,然而美本身却是抽象的。He has some abstract notion of wanting to change the world. 他有一种要改造世界的空想。absurd [Kb'sK:d] a. 荒谬的,荒唐的 【同】 funny 【例】The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd. 一种见解已被许多人所持有,这个事实完全不足以证明这种见解并非全然荒谬。What an absurd suggestion! 多荒谬的建议啊! It was absurd of you to suggest such a thing. 你居然建议这样的事,太可笑了。The whole thing becomes utterly absurd when you think that no matter what problems man overcomes, it is unlikely that he will ever be able to travel even to the nearest star. 但是不管人了征服了多少困难,他也不可能去最近的星球上旅行,想象这个,你就会觉得整个事件是荒谬绝伦了。abundance [K'bVndKns] n. 大量,丰富,充足 【同】 sufficiency 【例】If you travel in the sea, you will see an abundance of marine creatures. 如果你在海上旅行的话,会看到很多海洋生物。There was an abundance of corn last year. 去年玉米丰收。abundant [K'bVndKnt] a. 1.大量的,充足的2.(in)丰富的,富裕的 【例】There is abundant firewood in the forest. 森林里有充裕的薪柴可用。Most of them have received formal education in university, where they acquired abundant knowledge and experience, which are quite essential to their future career. 他们大多数都受过大学的正规教育,在大学里他们获得了知识和经验,这些知识和经验对他们未来的生涯是十分必要的。Meanwhile milk had been accepted by the masses, because of its abundant nutrition. 同时,牛奶又被大众接受,因为它含有丰富的营养。abuse [K'bju:s] n. 1.滥用,妄用2.虐待,伤害3.辱骂,毁谤 vt. [K'bju:z]1.滥用,妄用2.虐待,伤害3.辱骂,毁谤 【同】 victimize 【例】It's easy to abuse one's power. 人容易滥用权力。They talked about how the uses and abuses of figures to prove things in politics. 他们谈到人们如何在政治问题上使用及滥用数字来混淆视听。academic [,<kK'demik] a.1.学校的,学院的2.学术的3.纯理论的,不切实际的 n. 大学教师 【同】of or concerning academy 【例】Professor Wang Lin used to an academic visitor of University of Cambridge. It's a matter of academic concern. 那是学术方面的事。The question is purely academic. 这是一个纯学术性的问题。The new academic year is coming. 新学年就要来了。accelerate [Kk'selKreit] v. (使) 加快,(使)增速【例】It is evident that it can relieve the traffic congestion in the streets, thus accelerating the flow of buses and cars. 很明显,这样会缓解道路交通的拥挤,从而加快车的流速。acceleration [Kk,selK'reiSn] n.加速;加速度 【同】 quickening 【例】Our country has always in acceleration of economic growth since the 1980s. 自从20世纪80年代以来,我国经济发展一直在增加。acceptable [Kk'septKbl] a.可接受的,合意的 【例】The solution to this problem is acceptable. 这个问题的解决方案是可接受的。Do you think the proposal is acceptable? 你认为这个建议可接受吗?access ['<kses] n. 1.通道,入口2.接近,进入3.接近(或进入、享用)的机会 vt. 存取(计算机文件) 【同】 passage 【例】Wealth in modern societies is distributed acco and while opportunity depends partly upon talent and energy, it depends still more upon birth, social position, access to education
in a word, upon property. 在现代社会中,财富是根据机会分配的。而机会在部分地取决于天赋与干劲同时,更多地取决于出身、社会地位、教育机会及继承来的财富,总之,取决于资产。He is a man of easy access. 他是一个很好接近的人。Citizens may have free access to the library. 市民可以免费使用这个图书馆。accessory [Kk'sesKri] n. 1.附件,零件,配件2.[常pl.](妇女手提包之类的)装饰品3.同谋,帮凶,包庇犯 【同】 aid 【例】He was just an accessory of a robbery, but he was sentenced to death. 他只是一起抢劫案件中的从犯,却被判处死刑。He asked me to buy him some accessories for a car. 他让我给他买些汽车附件。accidental [,<ksi'dentl] a. 意外的,偶然(发生)的 【同】 natural 【例】As accidental as my life may be, or as that random humor is, which governs it, I know nothing, after all, so real or substantial as myself. 无论我的生命多么偶然,也无论支配着它的那种随意性如何,我知道最真实或最实在的事物毕竟还是我自己。Our meeting was quite accidental. 我们的相遇是很偶然的。accommodate [K'kOmKdeit] vt. 1.容纳2.向...提供住处(或膳宿)3.使适应,顺应 【例】The bank is accommodating its customers more than it used to. 这家银行现在给客户贷款比以前多了。The cottage could accommodate up to five people. 这间小屋最多能容纳5个人。The computer has the ability to accommodate to individual differences in learning speed, and so I am the one who can control the pace of my lessons. 计算机能够适应学习速度的个体差异,因此我就能成为控制自己课程进度的人。accommodation [K,kOmK'deiSn] n. [常pl.] 住处,膳宿 【同】 lodging 【例】I have no method to make accommodation to my quests. 我无法给客人们安排住宿。Hotel accommodation was scarce during the Olympic Games. 奥运会期间,旅馆房间很难找。It's a great accommodation to me. 这对我极为方便。This hospital has accommodation for 200 patients. 这家医院有二百个床位。accordance [K'kO:dKns] n. 一致,和谐,符合 【同】 agreement 【例】Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason. 人是理性的动物,在被要求依据理性行动时总是大发雷霆。I sold the house in accordance with your orders. 我按照你的指示售出了这所房子。accordingly [K'kO:diNli] ad. 1.照着,相应地2.因此,所以,于是 【例】I have told you the circumstances, so you must act accordingly. 我已将情况告诉你,所以你必须酌情处理。accumulate [K'kju:mjuleit] vt. 堆积,积累,积聚 vi. 累积,聚积 【同】 mount up 【例】Universities a the freshmen bring a little in and the seniors take none away, and knowledge accumulates. 大学里充满了知识。新生带进来一点儿,高年级学生则一点儿也不带走,于是知识便积累了下来。By investing wisely she accumulated a fortune. 她由于投资精明而积蓄了一笔财产。Dust and dirt soon accumulate if a house is not cleaned regularly. 房屋不经常打扫,尘土很快就越积越多。accuracy ['<kjKrKsi] n.准确(性);准确度 【例】I can predict something with great accuracy. 我能很准确地预测某事。It is impossible to say with any accuracy how many are affected. 无论如何也说不准受影响的有多少。accurate ['<kjKrKt] a. 1.正确无误的2.准确的,精确的 【例】His report of the event was accurate in every detail. 他对事件的报道,其全部细节都是准确的。accuse [K'kju:z] vt. 指控,控告,指责 【同】 incriminate 【例】He was accused of incompetence. 他被指责为不称职。The company stands accused of failing to safeguard the public. 这家公司被控未能保护公众的利益。Several of the accused were found guilty. 被告中有数人被判定有罪。accustomed [K'kVstKmd] a. 1.(to)习惯于...的,适应了的2.通常的,惯常的 【同】 in the habit of 【例】There are no conditions to which a man cannot become accustomed, especially if he sees that all those around him live in the same way. 没有什么环境是人所不能适应的,尤其是在看到周围的人都以相同方式过活时。acknowledge [Kk'nOlidZ] vt. 1.承认,承认...的权威(或主张)2.告知收到,确认3.对...表示谢忱,报偿 【同】 thank 【例】Any person, who copies Professor Wang Lin’s vocabulary book illegally, will be forced to acknowledge his or her piracy and will be subject to punishment . To whatever side your turn, you are forced to acknowledge your own ignorance and the boundless power of the Creator. 无论转向哪一面,你都不得不承认自己的无知和造物主的无边法力。She is acknowledged as the best tennis-player in the world. 她被公认为是世界最佳网球选手。I passed her in the street but she didn't even acknowledge me when I smiled. 我在街上遇到她,可是当我向她微笑时,她却连招呼都没有向我打一个。..acquaintance [K'kweintKns] n. 1.相识的人,熟人2.认识,相识,了解 【同】 familiarity 【例】I look upon every day to be lost, in which I do not make a new acquaintance.  哪一天不新结识一个人,我都把那一天视为虚度。I have a slight acquaintance with Japanese. 我略通日文。He is my acquaintance. 他是我的熟人。acquire [K'kwaiK] vt. 1.取得,获得2.学到 【例】The collector has acquired a fine collection of impressionist paintings. 这位收藏家收集到大量印象派绘画。To be fair, the serious way of lecture allows us to acquire much information in class. 说句公道话,严肃性的课堂教学可是我们学到很多知识。acquisition [,<kwi'ziSn] n. 1.取得,获得,习得2.获得物,增添的人(或物) 【同】 attainment 【例】Acquisition of knowledge is getting more and more convenient. 获得知识越来越方便。The library's latest acquisitions were donated by a millionaire. 图书馆最近增添的书籍是一位百万富翁捐献 的。activate ['<ktiveit] vt. 使活动起来,使开始起作用 【同】 arouse 【例】The newly designed system is activated by a computer. 那个新设计的系统由计算机驱动。activity [<k'tiviti] n. 1.活动,行动2.活跃,活力 【例】There has been a lot of activity in the town today. 今天市中心相当热闹。The center provides facilities for a whole range of leisure activities. 这个中心提供各种娱乐活动设施。acute [K'kju:t] a. 1.严重的,激烈的2.敏锐的3.(疾病)急性的4.尖的,锐的 【同】 intense 【例】Being an acute observer, he usually sees the essence of things at the first sight. 作为一个敏锐的观察家,他通常一眼就可以看出事物的本质。We agreed with his acute analysis of the political situation. 我们都同意他对政治形势的深刻分析。This area has an acute shortage of water. 这个地方缺水严重。adapt [K'd<pt] vt. 1.使适应,使适合2.修改,改编 vi. (to)适应 【同】 change 【例】The reasonable man adapts
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. 明白事理的人使自己适应世界,不明事理的人硬要世界适应自己。This machine has been specially adapted for underwater use. 这机器是为水下使用而特别改装的。She adapted herself quickly to the new climate. 她很快就适应了这种新气候。This novel has been adapted for radio from the Russian original. 这部小说已由俄文原著改编成无线电广播节目。adaptation [,<d<p'teiSn] n. 适应 【例】I bought my son an adaptation for children of a play by Shakespeare. 我给我儿子买了为儿童改编的莎士比亚剧本。additional [K'diSKnl] a. 添加的,额外的,另外的 【同】 further 【例】Never be the last to leave a company going downhill, your personal market value declines each additional day you stay. 在公司走下坡路时切最后离开:每多呆一天,你个人的市场价值都降低几许。He had to pay some additional charges. 他不得不付些附加费。adhere [Kd'hiK] vt. (to)1.粘附,附着2.遵守,坚持3.追随,支持 【同】 stick 【例】Paste is used to make one surface adhere to another. 糨糊是用于使一个接触面粘住另一个接触面的。We should adhere to our opinions. 我们应当坚持我们的意见。adjacent [K'dZeisnt] a. (to)邻近的,毗连的 【同】 neighboring 【例】We work in the same company, but his office is not adjacent to mine. 我们虽然在同一个公司工作,办公室却不在一处。His house is adjacent to mine. 他的寓所与我的相毗连。adjoin [K'dZOin] vt. 贴近,与...毗连 【同】 neighbor 【例】The playing field adjoins the school. 运动场紧邻学校。Our house adjoins theirs. 我们的房屋与他们的毗连。adjust [K'dZVst] vt. 1.校正,校准,调整2.调节,改变...以适应 vi. (to)适应 【同】 tailor 【例】This kind of desk can be adjusted to the height you need. 这种书桌的高低可以按照你的需要调节。He adjusted himself very quickly to the heat of the country. 他很快使自己适应了这个国家炎热的天气。administer [Kd'ministK] vt. 1.掌管,料理...的事务2.施行,实施3.给予,派给,投(药) 【例】The courts administer the law. 法院执行法律。The priest administered the last rites. 神父为人举行临终圣礼。administrate [Kd,mini'streit] v. 管理;支配administration [Kd,mini'streiSn] n. 1.管理,经营,支配2.管理部门,行政机关,政府3.实行,执行 【同】 execution 【例】Bad administration, to be sure, can but good administration can never save bad policy. 糟糕的政府必定会毁掉良好的政策,而良好的政府绝对挽救不了糟糕的政策。The company developed rapidly under his administration. 在他的管理下,公司发展得很快。admission [Kd'miSn] n. 1.准许进入,准许加入2.入场费,入场券3.承认,供认 【同】 reception 【例】Concession is no humiliation, nor admission of error any disgrace. 让步非耻,认错亦非辱。He gained admission into this university. 他获准进入这所大学。adolescent [,<dK'lesnt] n. 青少年 a. 青春期的,青少年的adopt [K'dOpt] vt. 1.收养2.采取,采纳,采用3.正式通过,批准 【同】 take up 【例】As they had no children of their own, they adopted an orphan. 他们没有亲生儿女,就收养了一个孤儿。adoption [K'dOpSn] n.收养;采纳,采取 【例】He was pleased by the adoption of a little girl. 他对收养了一个女孩感到高兴。advisable [Kd'vaizKbl] a. 可取的,适当的,明智的 【同】 judicious 【例】I am not in favor of long engagements. They give people the opportunity of finding out each other’s character before marriage, which I think is never advisable. 我不赞成订婚的时期太长。它使双方有机会在婚前摸清各自的人品,我认为这绝对不可取。advocate ['<dvKkKt] vt. 拥护,提倡,主张 n. 1.拥护者,提倡者2.辩护者,律师 【同】 advance: 【例】This judge is a strong advocate of prison reform. 这位法官是监狱改革的坚决拥护者。He advocates reducing military spending. 他主张削减军费开支。aerial ['EKriKl] a. 1.飞机的,航空的,由飞机进行的2.空中的,架空的 n. 天线 【例】He showed me some aerial photographs. 他给我看了一些空中拍摄的照片。aerospace ['EKrKuspeis] n.航空和宇宙航行空间 【例】The aerospace industry in our country has developed greatly after liberation. 解放后,我国的宇航事业取得了巨大的发展。aesthetic [i:s'Tetik] a. 1.美学的,审美的2.悦目的,雅致的 【同】of or concerning beauty affect [K'fekt] v. 影响, 假装 【例】The climate affected his health. 气候影响了他的健康。He was much affected by the sad news. 这个悲惨的消息使他非常难过。He affected not to hear me. 他假装没有听见我。In other aspects, computer affects people’s daily life and do harm to people. 在其他方面,计算机影响着人们的日常生活并导致了一些不利因素的产生。affection [K'fekSn] n. 喜爱,感情,爱慕之情 【同】 love 【例】We should never judge those whom we love. The affection that is not blind is no affection at all. 不可评价所爱的人。不盲目的爱根本不是爱。Every mother has affection for her children. 每个母亲都爱她的孩子。He is held in affection. 他极为大家所爱戴。affiliate [K'filieit] vt. 使隶属(或附属)于 n. 附属机构,分公司 【同】 combine 【例】The hospital is affiliated to Beijing University. 这所医院附属于北京大学。affirm [K'fK:m] vt. 1.断言,坚持声称2.证实,确认 【例】I affirm that what he said is true. 我断言他所说的是实情。They affirmed that the girl did quite a bit of reading. 他们断言这个女孩子读了不少书。affirmative [K'fK:mKtiv] adj. 赞成的,肯定的 【同】 agreeing 【例】He gave an affirmative reply to my question. 他肯定地回答了这个问题。agenda [K'dZendK] n.议事日程aggravate ['<grKveit] vt. 1.加重,加剧,使恶化2.激怒,使恼火 【同】 increase 【例】His absence from the conference aggravated the situation. 他没来参加会议致使局势恶化了。The lack of rain aggravated the already serious shortage of food. 干旱少雨使原本就很严重的粮食短缺问题更加严重。aggressive [K'gresiv] a. 1.侵犯的,侵略的,挑衅的2.敢作敢为的,有进取心的 【同】 enterprising 【例】He is an aggressive man. 他是一个好斗的人。America has a lot of aggressive weapons now. 美国现在有很多进攻性武器。A successful businessman must be aggressive. 一个成功的商人必须有进取心。agitate ['<dZiteit] vi. (for, against)煽动,鼓动 vt. 1.搅动,摇动2.使焦虑不安 【例】He became quite agitated when he was asked about his criminal past. 当问到他过去的犯罪历史时,他变得十分焦虑不安。He was agitated about his wife's health. 他为他妻子的健康感到不安。agony ['<gKni] n. (极度的)痛苦,创痛 【同】 disturbance 【例】The fiercest agonies have shortest reign. 最剧烈的痛苦持续的时间也最短。He was in an agony of remorse. 他处于悔恨的海洋中。I've suffered agonies with toothache. 我遭受牙痛之苦。agreeable [K'gri:Kbl] a. 1.令人愉快的,惬意的2.(欣然)同意的,乐意的 【同】 fair 【例】Animals are such agreeable friends —— they ask no questions, they pass no criticism. 动物是如此令人愉快的朋友── 它们不提问题,也不说三道四。She has an agreeable voice. 她的声音悦耳。Are you agreeable to the proposal? 你能同意这项建议吗?airline ['EKlain] n. [常pl.] 航空公司 【例】He is an airline pilot. 他是民航驾驶员。Mr. Wang is a staff of France airline. 王先生是法国航空公司的一名职员。airmail ['EKmeil] n. 航空邮件alert [K'lK:t] a. 警觉的,留神的,注意的 vt. 1.向...报警,使警惕2.使认识到,使意识到 n. 1.警戒(状态),戒备(状态)2.警报 【同】 warning 【例】With the exception of the instinct of self-preservation, the propensity for emulation is probably the strongest and most alert and persistent of the economic motives proper. 除了自我保护本能以外,努力追上并超越他人的习性很可能是真正的功利性动机中最强烈、最活跃顽固的Although he's over eighty his mind is still remarkably alert. 他虽已年过八十,但头脑仍然十分机敏。alien ['eiliKn] a. 1.外国的,外国人的2.陌生的3.性质不同的,不相容的 n. 1.外国人,外侨2.外星人 【同】 foreign 【例】Their ideas are quite alien to our ways of thinking. 他们的观点同我们看问题的方法格格不入。After being away for so long, he feels like an alien in his own country now. 背井离乡这么久,现在在他自己的国家,他觉得自己像个外人。allege [K'ledZ] vt. 断言,宣称,硬说 【同】 declare 【例】The police alleged that the man was murdered but they have given no proof. 警方声称这男子是被谋杀的,但未提出任何 证据。So they alleged, but have they any proof? 他们是这样宣称的,但他们有证据吗?alleviate [K'li:vieit] vt. 减轻,缓解,缓和 【同】make less or easier to bear 【例】The doctor gave her an injection to alleviate her pain. 医生给她注射以减轻痛苦。alliance [K'laiKns] n. 结盟,联盟 【同】 combination 【例】They made an alliance against the common enemy. 他们联合起来抵御共同的敌人。allied [K'laid] a.联合的;联姻的allocate ['<lKkeit] vt. 分配,分派,把...拨给 【同】 allot 【例】That space has been allocated for a new hospital. 这块地皮已经拨作建一座新医院。allowance [K'lauKns] n. 津贴,补贴,零用钱 【例】The scholarship includes an allowance of 80 dollars for books. 奖学金包括八十美元的书籍费津贴。She failed one of the exam papers, but we ought to make allowance for the fact that she was ill. 她有一门不及格,但我们必须考虑到她当时有病。alloy ['<lOi] n. 合金 vt. 将...铸成合金 【例】Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. 黄铜是铜和锌的合金。alongside [K,lON'said] ad. 在旁边,沿着边,并排地 prep. 1. 在...旁边,沿着...的边2. 和...在一起 【例】He is the master of the boat moored alongside. 他是那条靠着码头停泊的船的主人。The car drew up alongside the road. 小汽车在路边停下来。alter ['O:ltK] vt.改变,变更;改做 【例】He altered one of the rooms into a bedroom. 他把一间屋子改建成了卧室。alteration [,O:ltK'reiSn] n.变更,改变;蚀变 【例】My coat needs alteration. 我的上衣需要改改。There have been a few alterations to the timetable. 时间表上有一些变动。alternate ['O:ltKneit] a. 1.交替的,轮流的2.间隔的 v. (使)轮流,(使)交替 【例】Meetings are held on alternate Thursdays. 每隔一个星期的星期四举行一次会议。Sunny weather alternated with rain. 天气晴雨相间。We alternate in doing the housework. 我们轮流做家务。alternative [O:l'tK:nKtiv] a. 1.两者择一的,供选择的,供替代的2.另类的,他择性的 n. 1.取舍,抉择,供选择的东西2.选择的自由,选择的余地 【同】 substitute 【例】The more alternative, the more difficult the choice. 可选择的越多,挑选越难。We have no alternative, but to do it. 我们别无选择,只能做了。Please find alternative means of transport. 请另外找一个运输方法。altitude ['<ltitju:d] n. 1.高度,海拔2.[pl.] 高处,高地 3. 纬度 【例】The airliner flew at an altitude of 20,000ft. 客机在两万英尺的高度飞行。In these altitudes snow never melts. 在这样的高度,雪永不融化。At this altitude you often get strong winds. 在这一纬度地区,经常有大风。aluminum [,<lju:'miniKm] n. 铝 (aluminium) 【例】Aluminum is a kind of light silvery metal. 铝是一种轻薄并呈银色的金属。She put some noodles in the aluminum saucepan. 她在铝锅里下了些面条。amateur ['<mKtK] n. 1.业余爱好者,业余运动员2.外行,粗通某一行的人 a. 1.业余爱好的,业余(身份)的2.外行的 【同】 freshman 【例】The tournament is open to amateurs as well as professionals. 这次比赛不仅职业运动员可以参加,而且业余运动员也可以参加。He is an amateur photographer. 他是个业余摄影爱好者。amaze [K'meiz] vt. 使大为惊奇,惊愕 【同】 confuse 【例】He amazed me by his audacity. 他的无理让我惊骇。I was amazed to find her there. 发现她在那,我感到很吃惊。What an amazing painting! 多么了不起的一幅画啊! &It was amazing that he knew nothing about the event. 他对这个事件毫不知情,真让人感到诧异。ambassador [<m'b<sKdK] n. 大使,使节,派驻国际组织的代表 【例】He was appointed ambassador to the United States. 他被任命为驻美国大使。ambiguous [<m'bigjuKs] a. 引起歧义的,模棱两可的,含糊不清的 【同】 equivocal 【例】Life in business is made up of ambiguous victories and nebulous defeats --claims them all as victories. 商业生涯由含混的胜利和模糊的失败构成──把它们都称为胜利吧。ambition [<m'biSn] n. 1.抱负,雄心,野心2.企望得到的东西 【同】 passion 【例】All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. 有抱负有雄心是合法的,但利用人们的痛苦或轻信者往上爬的人除外。In his youth he had the ambition of being a pianist. 他在青年时代曾经有过想当钢琴家的雄心。ambulance ['<mbjulKns] n. 救护车amend [K'mend] vt. 修改,修订,改进 n. [pl.] 赔罪,赔偿 【同】 correct 【例】The Parliament has decided to amend some legislation. 议会决定修改一些法规。The judge advised him to amend his way of living. 法官劝告他改变生活方式。They decided to amend the bill. 他们决定修正这条议案。ampere ['<mpEK] n.安培ample ['<mpl] a. 1.足够的2.宽敞的,面积大的 【例】We have ample time. 我们有充足的时间。The house has an ample parlor. 这座房子有宽敞的客厅。amplify ['<mplifai] vt. 1.放大(声音等),增强2.扩大,详述,进一步阐述 【同】 exaggerate 【例】The influences of this incident were amplified. 此事的影响被夸大了。amuse [K'mju:z] vt. 1.逗乐,逗笑2.给...提供娱乐(或消遣) 【例】The boys amuse themselves by drawing caricatures of their teacher. 男孩子们以画老师的漫画取乐。analogue ['<nKlOg] n. 类似物,模拟 (analog)analogy [K'n<lKdZi] n. 比拟,类比,类推 【同】 comparison 【例】The teacher drew an analogy between the human heart and a pump. 教师做了一个比喻,把心脏比喻成水泵。analytical [,<nK'litikl] a. 分析的,分析法的 【同】 well-organized 【例】Why not try the analytical reasoning? 为什么不试试分析法?ancestor ['<nsestK] n. 1.祖宗,祖先2.原型,先驱 【同】 forebear 【例】It is indeed a desirable thing to be well descended, but the glory belongs to our ancestors. 有好的家世诚然值得想望,不过光荣属于我们的祖先。He is sprung from noble ancestors. 他出身名门。anchor ['<NkK] n. 1.锚2.给人安全感之物(或人)vt. 1.抛(锚),泊(船)2.把系住,使...固定3.担任(电视节目等的)主持人 vi. 1.抛锚,停泊2.固定,扎根 【例】Hope is his only anchor. 希望是他唯一的依靠。The ship was anchored off the shore. 船在海岸处抛了锚。He anchored his hope in his friend's help. 他寄希望于朋友的帮助。angle ['<Ngl] n. 1.角,角度2.观点,立场 vt. 1.把...放置成一角度2.使(新闻、报道等)带上倾向性 【例】Try looking at the affair from a different angle. 试从不同的角度来看这件事。anniversary [,<ni'vK:sKri] n. 周年纪念(日) 【同】 ceremony 【例】How did you celebrate your wedding anniversary? 你是怎样庆祝结婚周年纪念日的? He gave me a necklace as an anniversary gift. 他给我一条项链作为周年纪念礼物。announcer [K'naunsK] n.宣告者;播音员 【例】She is an announcer in TV broadcast. 她是电视台的一名播音员。annoy [K'nOi] vt.使恼怒;打搅 【例】A fly kept annoying me. 一只苍蝇老在打搅我。I was annoyed at his intrusion. 我对他的闯入感到生气。annual ['<njuKl] a. 每年的,年度的,一年一次的 n. 1.年报,年刊,年鉴2.一年生的植物 【例】How much is his annual salary? 他的年薪是多少? Many garden plants are annuals. 许多观赏植物都是一年生的。anonymous [K'nOnimKs] a. 1.无名的,不具名的2.匿名的3.无特色的,无个性特征的 【同】 undesignated 【例】I received an anonymous letter the other day. 几天前我收到了一封匿名信。Antarctic [<n'tA:ktik] a.南极的 n.南极区antenna [<n'tenK] n. 1.触角,触须2.天线 【例】You should fix the television antenna before receiving programs. 接收节目前,你应该先装天线。anticipate [<n'tisipeit] vt.1.预期,期望,预料2.先于...行动,提前使用 【同】look forward to 【例】What we anti what we least expected generally happens. 我们所预料的事很少发生,最料不到的倒往往出现。We anticipate that we will meet a certain amount of resistance to our plan. 我们预料我们的计划会遇到一些人的反对。In business, you've got to anticipate how your competitors will act. 在生意上,你必须事先估计到你的竞争对手会如何行动。anxiety [<N'zaiKti] n. 1.焦虑,挂虑2.渴望,热望 【同】 trouble 【例】We waited for news with a growing sense of anxiety. 我们等待着消息,越来越着急。The doctor's report removed all their anxieties. 医生的报告消除了他们的一切忧虑。The anxieties of the past week had left her exhausted. 上星期把她愁得没精打采。anyhow ['enihau] ad. 1.不管怎么说,无论如何,至少2.不论用何种方法,无论从什么角度3.随随便便地,杂乱无章地 【例】I couldn't think of the name of that man anyhow. 我怎么也想不出那人的名字来了。anyway ['eniwei] ad. 1.不管怎么说,无论如何,至少2.不论以何种方式,无论从什么角度 【例】The house was locked and I cannot get in anyway. 屋子锁着,我无论如何也进不去。apartment [K'pA:tmKnt] n. 一套公寓房间,房间 【例】He lives in this apartment building. 他住在这座公寓大楼内。apparatus [,<pK'reitKs] n. 1.器械,器具,仪器2.机构,组织 【同】 equipment 【例】The astronauts have special breathing apparatus. 宇航员有特殊的呼吸装置。apparent [K'p<rKnt] a. 1.显然的,明白的,清晰可见的2.表面上的,貌似(真实)的 【同】 manifest 【例】Silence in company affords wisdom and apparent intelligence to a stupid person. 在人前少言寡语会给愚鲁的人带来明智和貌似的聪明。It was apparent to all that he was guilty. 众所周知,他是有罪的。appeal [K'pi:l] n. 1.呼吁,恳求2.感染力,吸引力3.申诉,上诉 v. 1.呼吁,恳求2.有吸引力,有感染力3.上诉,申诉4.(t0)诉诸,诉请裁决(或证实等)vt. 将...上诉,将...移交上? 【例】He was appealing for funds to build a new school. 他在恳求拨款修建一所新学校。His lawyer decided to take an appeal to a higher court. 他的律师决定向高一级法院上诉。appendix [K'pendiks] n. 1.阑尾2.附录 【例】This dictionary has several appendices. 这本词典有几项附录。The doctor said the appendix is not important for us. 那个大夫说阑尾对我们来说并不重要。appetite ['<pitait] n. 1.胃口,食欲2.欲望 【同】 longing 【例】The long walk gave him a good appetite. 长时间的走路使他食欲旺盛。She is suffering from lack of appetite. 她食欲不振。applaud [K'plO:d] vi. 鼓掌,喝彩 vt. 1.向...鼓掌,向...喝彩2.称赞,赞许 【同】 clap 【例】Man often applauds an imitation, and hiss the real thing. 人往往对假货喝彩,而对真品发出嘘声。We all applaud you for your decision. 我们一致赞成你的决定。He was loudly applauded. 他受到热烈的掌声欢迎。appliance [K'plaiKns] n. 器具,器械,装置 【同】 machinery 【例】A modern family cannot do without electrical appliances. 现代家庭生活离不开电器。There are many household appliances in this shop. 这个商店有许多家用用具。applicable [K'plikKbl] a. 1.可应用的,可实施的2.适当的,合适的appraisal [K'preizl] n. 估计,估量,评价 【同】 estimate 【例】After careful discussion experts gave an appraisal of the ancient vase&$60,000. 仔细商讨后,专家对这个古代花瓶做了估价:6万美元。appreciable [K'pri:SKbl] a.可估价的;可察觉的 【同】 evident 【例】There will be an appreciable increase of our salaries. 我们的工资会有较为可观的增加。appreciate [K'pri:Sieit] vt. 1.重视,赏识,欣赏2.为...表示感激3.(充分)意识到,领会,体会 vi. 增值 【例】I really appreciate his complete absorption in his work. 我很欣赏他对工作的极端专注。We appreciate your helping us. 我们感谢你们的帮助。apprehension [,<pri'henSn] n. 焦虑,担忧 【同】 uneasiness 【例】He lived in complete apprehension the last year. 他去年完全生活在恐惧之中。We waited for their decision with a great deal of apprehension. 我们怀着极其焦虑的心情等待他们做出决定。appropriate [K'prKupriKt] a. 适当的,恰当的 vt. 1.私占,侵吞,挪用2.拨出(款项等)供专用 【同】 fitting 【例】Extreme remedies are very appropriate for extreme diseases. 烈性的药物对于重病是非常适宜的。The government has appropriated a large sum of money for building hospitals. 政府为修建医院拨出了大笔款项。The minister was found to have appropriated government money. 部长被查出挪用了公款。approval [K'pru:vKl] n. 1.赞成,同意2.批准,认可 【同】 permission 【例】I hope the arrangements meet with your approval. 我希望这些安排会得到你的同意。We can't start building without the council's approval. 未经委员会批准,我们不能动工。approximately [K'prOksimKtli] ad.近乎,大约 【同】 nearly 【例】The total number of death in this crash approximately mounts to 5,000. 这次撞击事件死亡总数大约5000人。The plane will be taking off in approximately five minutes. 飞机大约五分钟后就起飞。apt [<pt] a. 1.易于,有(做某事的)倾向2.恰当的,适宜的3.聪明的,反应敏捷的 【同】 appropriate 【例】This shoe is apt to slip. 这双鞋子容易打滑。Iron is apt to rust. 铁容易生锈。He is a very apt student. 他是一个很聪明的学生。It's apt to rain this afternoon. 今天下午可能下雨。arbitrary ['A:bitrKri] n. 1.随意的,任意的2.专断的,武断的,专制的 【同】 inconsistent 【例】The choice of players for the team seems completely arbitrary. 队员的挑选似乎完全是主观的。Most presidents in this African country are arbitrary rulers. 这个非洲国家的总统大多数是专横的统治者。architect ['A:kitekt] n. 建筑师,设计师,缔造者 【例】Everyone is the architect of his own fortune. 每个人都是自己命运的创造者。arctic ['A:ktik] a.北极的 n.北极 【例】We can't stand this arctic weather. 我们受不了这种严寒的天气。arise [K'raiz] vi. 1.产生,出现,发生2.(from)(由...)引起,(由...)产生3.起身,起床 【例】An opportunity has arisen. 机会来了。Accidents often arise from carelessness. 事故往往起因于粗心。arithmetic [K'riTmKtik] n. 算术 【例】The little boy was not good at arithmetic. 这个小男孩算术不太好。arouse [K'rauz] vt. 1.引起,激起,唤起2.唤醒 【例】His sufferings aroused our sympathy. 他的痛苦引起了我们的同情。Diana aroused them just before dawn. 戴安娜在黎明前唤醒了他们。array [K'rei] n. 1.展示,陈列,一系列2.排列,队形3.衣服,盛装4.数组,阵列 vt. 1.排列,配置(兵力)2.打扮,装饰 【例】Banners are arrayed on the wall. 墙上张挂着锦旗。People are all in holiday array. 人们都穿着节日盛装。articulate [A:'tikjulKt] a. 1.善于表达的,发音清晰的2.表达得清楚有力的 vt. 1.明确有力地表达2.清晰地吐(字),清晰地发(音) 【同】well- lucid 【例】It seems that he is a very articulate person. 似乎他是一个口吃淋漓的人。She's unusually articulate for a ten-year-old. 作为一个十岁的孩子来说,她的表达力是非常强的。I'm a little deaf, please articulate your words carefully. 我有些耳聋,请把话仔细地说清楚。ascend [K'send] vi. 渐渐上升,升高 vt. 攀登,登上 【同】 mount 【例】We watched the mists ascending from the valley below. 我们看着薄雾从下面的山谷中升起。ascertain [,<sK'tein] vt. 查明,弄清,确定 【同】 discover 【例】I ascertain that he was murdered. 我确定他是被谋杀的。The detective was trying to ascertain exactly who was at the party. 这个侦探试图查明都有谁参加了聚会。ash [<S] n. 1.灰,灰烬2.[pl.] 骨灰,遗骸 【例】Don't drop cigarette ash on the carpet. 别把烟灰落在地毯上。ashore [K'SO:] ad. 在岸上,上岸 【例】He managed to swim ashore. 他设法向岸边游过去。They have been ashore for two hours. 他们上岸已经两个小时了。aside [K'said] ad. 在旁边,到(或向)一边 【例】The decision was set aside. 决议被搁置。assemble [K'sembl] vi. 集合,聚集 vt. 1.集合,聚集,召集2.装配 【例】The students assembled in the school garden. 学生们在校园集合。assembly [K'sembli] n. 1.立法机构,议会2.集会,集合,集会的人们3.组装,装配 【同】 conference 【例】In most communities it is illegal to cry fire in a crowded. 在大多数社会中,在拥挤的集会上喊失火啦是违法的。People have the rights of assembly and expression. 人们有集会和发表言论的权利。assert [K'sK:t] vt. 1.肯定地说,断言2.维护,坚持 【同】 maintain 【例】We encouraged him to assert his view of the matter. 我们鼓励他坚持自己对此事的看法。She asserted that he was innocent. 她断言,他是无罪的。assignment [K'sainmKnt] n. 1.(分派的)任务,(指定的)作业2.分配,指派 【例】He finished the assignment completely. 他全面完成了分配的任务。He is the best man who can finish the assignment. 他是能完成这项任务的最佳人选。assimilate [K'simKleit] vt. 1.吸收,消化2.使同化 vi. 1.被吸收,被消化2.被同化 【同】 understand 【例】The USA has assimilated people from many different countries. 美国已经同化了许多来自不同国家的人。Children in school are expected to assimilate what they have been taught. 希望在学习的儿童能吸收教给他们的知识。Some foods are assimilated more easily than others. 有些食物比另一些食物容易吸收。associate [K'sKuSieit] vt. 1.(在思想上)把...联系在一起2.使联合,结合,使有联系 vi. (with)结交,交往 n. 伙伴,同事,合伙人 a. 副的 【同】 combine 【例】Do not tell me of the peopl let me observe it by your manners. 不必告诉我你同什么人交往,让我通过你的举止来察知。She associated happiness with having money. 她把幸福和有钱联想到一起。I don't want to associate myself with them any more. 我不愿再和他们交往了。assume [K'sju:m] vt. 1.假定,假设,臆断2.承担,担任,就职3.呈现,具有,采取 【例】I assumed you can speak French fluently. 我以为你能讲流利的法语。I made a mistake and I will assume responsibility for it. 我错了,我愿为此承担责任。The problem has assumed a new form. 这个问题又以新的形式出现。assumption [K'sVmpSn] n. 1.假定,臆断2.担任,承担 【同】 accepting 【例】The theory is based on a series of wrong assumptions. 这一理论是以一系列错误的设想为依据的。Their assumptions of an air of confidence fooled nobody. 他们装出信心十足的样子却欺骗不了任何 人。assurance [K'SuKrKns] n. 1.把握,信心2.保证,表示保证(鼓励、安慰)的话3.(人寿)保险 【同】 reassurance 【例】Progress is the activity of today, and the assurance of tomorrow. 进步是今日的行动,是明日的保证。They were waiting with assurance for me to discover the truth for myself. 他们自信地等待我自己发现事实真相。astonish [K'stOniS] vt. 使惊讶 【同】 astound 【例】She astonished me with her beautiful handwriting. 她以其秀丽的书法而使我惊异。I was astonished at the news of his escape. 听到他逃之夭夭的消息,我感到惊讶。The car rushed at the bridge at astonishing speed. 汽车以惊人的速度向桥冲过去。astronomy [K'strOnKmi] n. 天文学 【例】Astronomy is the scientific study of the sun, moon, and stars and other heaven bodies. 天文学是研究太阳、月亮、星星和其他天体的科学。athlete ['<Tli:t] n. 运动员,体育家 【同】 contestant 【例】Most first-class footballers are natural athletes. 多数一流的足球运动员都是天生的健将。Most first-class footballers are natural athletes. 多数一流的足球运动员都是天生的健将。She looks like an athlete. 她看起来像运动员。atmospheric [,<tmKs'ferik] a.大气的;大气层的 【例】What's the atmospheric pressure today? 今天的气压怎么样?The music is very atmospheric. 那音乐很能制造气氛。attach [K't<tS] vt. 1.系,贴,连接2.使依恋,使喜爱3.认为有(重要性、责任等)4.使附属 【同】 fix on 【例】We cannot all be great, but we can always attach ourselves to something that is great. 不可能每个人都伟大,不过我们可以总是使自己属于某种伟大的事业。This middle school is attached to a teachers' college. 这所中学附属于一所师范院校。attain [K'tein] vt. 达到,获得 【同】 succeed 【例】The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the Self. 人的真正价值,首先取决于他在多大的程度和怎样的意义上获得自我解放。The country attained its independence in 1972. 这个国家在1972年获得了独立。attendance [K'tendKns] n. 1.出席人数 2.出席,参加,出席次数 3.护理,照料 【例】Attendance at school is demanded by law. 法律规定儿童必须上学。He didn't have perfect attendance this year. 他今年有缺勤。attendant [K'tendKnt] n. 服务人员,侍者,随从 a. 伴随的,随之而产生的 【例】The president gave the Prince and his attendants a farewell banquet. 总统为王子和他的随员举行了告别宴会。attentive [K'tentiv] a.注意的;有礼貌的 【同】 observant 【例】You should be attentive to what your parents have said. 你应该注意倾听父母所说的话。He is attentive to his little brother. 他很关心他的小弟弟。attitude ['<titju:d] n. 1.态度,看法2.姿态,姿势 【例】We must maintain a firm attitude. 我们必须采取坚定的态度。They sat around in easy attitude. 他们以舒适的姿势围坐在一起。attribute ['<tribju:t] vt. (to)把...归因于,把(过错、责任等)归于 n. 属性,特性 【同】 characteristic 【例】I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits. 我把自己这点儿知识归因于不耻于提问,归因于常常和各式各样的人攀谈,谈论那些造成了他们各自的专业与行当的主题。Politeness is an attribute of a gentleman. 彬彬有礼是绅士的本色。The sword is an attribute of a fighter. 剑是斗士的特征。augment [O:g'ment] vt. 扩大,增加,提高 【同】 amplify 【例】The output of last month has been considerably augment. 上个月的产量大大地增加了。He augments his income by teaching in the evenings. 他晚上去教书以增加收入。aural ['O:rKl] a.耳的,听觉的 【例】You can use these tapes as aural material. 你可以把这些磁带当作听力材料。auto ['O:tKu] n. 汽车 【例】The auto industry has brought many people to Detroit. 汽车工业把许多人吸引到了底特律。automatic [,O:tK'm<tik] a. 1.自动的2.不假思索的,无意识的3.必然的,自然的n. 自动手枪(或步枪等),有自动装置的汽车 【同】self- self-regulating 【例】All the machines in this factory are automatic. 这个工厂所有的机器都是自动的。This heating system has an automatic temperature control. 这个暖气系统有自动化的温度调节系统。We get an automatic increase in pay every year. 我们的薪金每年会自动增长。auxiliary [O:g'ziliKri] a. 1.辅助的,补助的2.备用的,后备的 【同】 accessory 【例】She is an auxiliary nurse. 她是一名助理护士。We have an auxiliary generator in case of power cuts. 我们有一台万一断电时使用的备用发电机。avail [K'veil] n. [一般用于否定句或疑问句中] 效用,利益,帮助 v. 有用(于);有益(于);有助(于)【同】 aid 【例】We should avail us of every opportunity to achieve the desired results. 我们应该尽可能地利用一切机会达到预期的结果。Such a statement will not avail. 这样的声明没有什么用。This medicine is of no avail. 这药无效。avert [K'vK:t] vt. 1.防止,避免2.转移(目光、注意力等) 【同】 look away 【例】Preparedness averts peril. 有备无患。He managed to avert suspicion. 他设法避嫌。She averted her eyes from the terrible sight. 她转移目光不看那可怕的情景。aviation [,eivi'eiSn] n. 1.航空,航空学2.飞机制造业 【例】He devoted all his life to China's aviation. 他的一生都奉献给了中国的航空事业。aware [K'wEK] a. 意识到,知道的 【例】We are fully aware of the gravity of the situation. 我们十分清楚形势的严峻性。Are you aware that you are sitting on my hat? 你知道你坐在我的帽子上了吗?awfully ['O:fli] ad.令人畏惧的;很awkward ['O:kwKd] a. 1.尴尬的,棘手的2.难操纵的,使用不便的3.笨拙的,不灵巧的 【同】 inconvenient 【例】No manners are finer than even the most awkward manifestations of good will to others. 向别人表达良好的意愿是最高雅的风度,即使表达得极其笨拙也不例外。At the formal party I felt very awkward and out of place. 在正式的舞会上,我感到局促不安,很不自在。The heavy ax was awkward to use. 这把重斧头不好用。axis ['<ksis] n. 1.轴,轴线,中心线2.坐标轴,基准线 【例】Does the earth rotate on an axis? 地球是绕轴旋转的吗?
Bbachelor ['b<tSKlK] n. 1.单身男子,单身汉2.学士,学士学位 【例】He is still a bachelor. 他还是一个单身汉。I have a bachelor degree. 我有学士学位。background ['b<kgraund] n. 1.出身背景,经历2.背景资料3.(画等的)背景,底子 【例】He has a working-class background. 他是工人阶级出身。He stayed in the background to escape from the public attention. 他呆在幕后为了避开公众的注意。backward ['b<kwKd] a. 1.向后的,反向的2.落后的,进步慢的 ad. [-(s)] 1.向后,往回2.朝反方向,倒 【例】Although he is clever, he is backward in giving his views. 他虽然很聪明,却不善发表他的意见。He looked backward over his shoulder. 他回头向后看。bacon ['beikKn] n. 咸肉 bacterium [b<k'tiKriKm] n. (pl. bacteria [b<k'tiKriK]) 细菌【例】Many diseases are caused by bacteria. 许多疾病是由细菌引起的。badge [b<dZ] n. 1.徽章,证章2.标记,标识3.象征 【同】 identification 【例】He was awarded a merit badge for his bravery in the battle. 他因为在战斗中的勇猛被授予一枚奖章。Chains are a badge of slavery. 锁链是奴役的标志。badminton ['b<dmintKn] n. 羽毛球运动 【例】I like to play badminton in my spare time. 我喜欢在闲暇时打羽毛球。bakery ['beikKri] n. 面包店bald [bO:ld] a. 1.秃头的,秃的2.(织物、轮胎等)磨光的3.明显的,不加掩饰的 【同】 naked 【例】Time is painted with a lock before, and bald behind, signifying thereby that we must take time by the forelock, for when it is once passed there is no recalling it. 时间老人被画成前额有绺头发,而后脑却光秃秃的,这就意味着我们必须从前面抓住时间,因为只要时间一过就无可挽回。He took off the hat and revealed his bald head. 他脱下帽子,露出秃头。We planted some trees on the bald hill. 我们在一座秃山上种了些树。balloon [bK'lu:n] n. 气球 【例】There are some color balloons. 那儿有些彩色的气球。ban [b<n] vt. 1.取缔,查禁2.(from)禁止 n. 禁止,禁令 【同】 forbid 【例】Any electronic devices should be banned during takeoff and landing. 在飞机起飞或着陆时禁止使用任何电子设备。There is a ban on smoking in the theatre. 这剧院内禁止吸烟。The government has banned the use of chemical weapons. 政府已经禁止使用化学武器。With a computer, children can work out problems quickly but what they have learned is just typing skills not mathematics skills, so I think computer should be banned in class. 用计算机孩子们可以很快的解决问题,但是他们学到的只是打字技巧而不是数学技巧,因此,我认为在课堂上应禁止使用计算机。banana [bK'nA:nK] n. 香蕉 【例】The banana is her favorite fruit. 香蕉是她最喜欢的水果。bandage ['b<ndidZ] n. 绷带 vt. 用绷带绑扎 【例】The wound was bound up by bandage. 伤口用绷带包扎着。bankrupt ['b<NkrVpt] a. 1.破产的,彻底失败的2.彻底缺乏的 vt. 使破产,使枯竭 n. 破产者 【同】 ruined 【例】A beggar can never be bankrupt. 乞丐绝不会破产。I was bankrupt and unable to pay his debts. 我破产了,不能偿还他的债务。banner ['b<nK] n. 1.横幅2.旗,旗帜 【例】The patriots fought under the banner of freedom. 爱国者在自由的旗帜下战斗。barber ['bA:bK] n. 理发师 【例】I had my hair cut at the barber's yesterday. 我昨天在理发店里理了发。barrel ['b<rKl] n. 1.桶2.筒,枪(或炮)管 vi. 快速移动 【例】He bought a barrel of beer. 他买了一桶啤酒。barrier ['b<riK] n. 1.栅栏,关卡,检票口2.障碍,隔阂3.屏障 【同】 obstruction 【例】There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry. There is no place for dogma is science. 探索的自由必须不存障碍。在科学中没有教条的位置。The horse took the barrier easily. 那匹马轻松地越过了障碍。Heavy duties on imports and exports are a barrier to international trade. 进出口的高关税是国际贸易的障碍。baseball ['beisbO:l] n. 棒球 【例】Baseball is the national game of the USA. 棒球是美国全民喜爱的运动。basement ['beismKnt] n. 地下室bat [b<t] n. 1.蝙蝠2.球棒,球拍 v. 用球棒(或球拍)打(球); 详细讨论,反复推敲【例】Bats fly at night and feed on insects. 蝙蝠在夜间飞行,以昆虫为食。I want to buy a new tennis bat. 我想要买一个新网球拍。The cat batted the balloon with its paws. 猫用爪子击打气球。He batted the idea around in his head. 他脑子里反复思考这个想法。battery ['b<tKri] n. 1.电池(组),蓄电池(组)2.排炮,炮组3.一系列,一套 【例】Most torches work on two batteries. 大多数电筒要用两节电池。beforehand [bi'fO:h<nd] ad. 预先,事先 【例】He arrived at the meeting place beforehand. 他提前到达会面地点。behalf [bi'hA:f] n. 利益,方面 【同】 sake 【例】Eyes are the spokesmen on behalf of love. 眼睛是爱情的代言人。On behalf of my colleagues and myself I thank you. 我代表我的同事和我本人向你表示感谢。behave [bi'heiv] vi. 1.表现,举止端正2.(机器等)运转,(事物)作出反应 vt. (oneself)检点(自己)的行为 【例】How is your new car behaving? 你的新车性能如何?belief [bi'li:f] n. 1.相信,信任2.信念,信仰 【例】He has lost his belief in God. 他已不相信上帝了。beneficial [,beni'fiSl] a. 有益的,有利的 【同】 advantageous 【例】Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind. 愉快有益于身体,但发展思维能力的是悲伤。Fresh air is beneficial to our health. 新鲜空气有益于健康。It's a beneficial result to us. 对我们来说那是有利的结果。bet [bet] vt. 1.以...打赌,与...打赌2.敢说,确信 vi. 打赌 n. 1.打赌2.赌金,赌注 【例】Let's make a bet on the next election. 我们就下次的选举打个赌吧。I bet it will rain tomorrow. 我相信明天一定会下雨。betray [bi'trei] vt. 1.背叛,出卖2.失信于, 辜负3.泄露(秘密等)4.(非故意地)暴露,, 显露 【同】 disclose 【例】When we fail our pride supports us, when we succeed, it betrays us. 失败时自尊地支撑着我们,成功时它使我们露出本来面目。He betrayed his country. 他背叛了他的国家。The smoke from cooking betrayed the presence of the enemy. 炊烟暴露了敌人的存在。beware [bi'wEK] v. 谨防,当心 【同】 notice 【例】Beware of the fury of a patient man. 当心脾气好的人发火。Beware of what you do with this dangerous substance. 你处理这些危险品时,可要当心。bewilder [bi'wildK] vt. 使迷惑,使难住 【同】 confuse 【例】I am totally bewildered by the clues to the crossword puzzle. 这个纵横字谜的提示完全把我弄糊涂了。Big city traffic bewilders me. 大城市的交通使我晕头转向。bias ['baiKs] n. 偏见,偏心,偏袒 vt. 使有偏见 【同】 prejudice 【例】Our university has a bias in favor of the sciences. 我们的大学偏重理科。He has a bias against Japanese products. 他讨厌日本的产品。Her scientific bias showed itself in early childhood. 她在科学方面的倾向性在孩童时代就已显现出来。biography [bai'OgrKfi] n. 传记 【例】He likes to read biographies of great men to promote himself. 他喜欢读伟人传记来提高自己。biology [bai'OlKdZi] n. 生物学 【例】We have a biology lesson tomorrow. 明天我们有一节生物课。blank [bl<Nk] a. 1.空白的,空着的2.茫然的,无表情的 n.1.空白(处)2.空白表格 【例】Many blank spaces are still left in the suburbs. 郊区仍留有许多空地。His memory was completely blank on the subject. 关于这个题目,他已完全丧失记忆。Write your name in the blank. 在空白栏中写上你的名字。blast [blA:st] n. 1.爆炸2.一阵(疾风等),一般(强烈的气流)vt. 炸,炸掉 【同】 bang 【例】In one sense freedom is always in crisis, just as beauty as, and honor and truth —— all those things which man has made for himself as a garment against the ever-present blasts of the barbarian spirit. 正像美丽,名誉和真理一样,自由在某种意义上总是处于危机之中,──它们都是人类为了抵御阵阵永存的原始野性之狂风给自己制成的衣衫。A trumpeter sent out a warning blast. 号兵吹出告警的号声。Rock music blasted full from the parlor. 摇滚乐声震屋宇,从客厅传来。bleak [bli:k] a. 1.没有希望的,凄凉2.荒凉的3.寒冷刺骨的 【同】 dreary 【例】The situation depicted by the author at the beginning of the passage is rather bleak. 作者在文章的开头描述了一付相当凄凉的画面。The weather in early December was bleak and unpleasant. 十二月初的天气又阴冷又难受。The future of this firm will be very bleak indeed if we keep losing money. 要是我们继续亏本的话,这家公司的前途会非常黯淡。bleed [bli:d] vi. 出血,流血 vt. 勒索...的钱 【例】All the young soldiers are ready to bleed for the country. 所有的年轻战士都愿意为祖国洒热血。blend [blend] v. (使)混合,(使)混杂 n.1.混合物2.混合,交融 【同】 compound 【例】Those cottages blend well with the landscape. 那些农舍与周围的篱笆融为一体。The poem blends the separate ingredients into a unity. 这首诗把几个分开的部分融合为一体。bloody ['blVdi] a. 1.[用于加强语气] 非常的,该死的,该受诅咒的2.血污的,流血 3.嗜杀的,残忍的 ad. [用于加强语气] 非常,很 vt. 使为血所污,血染 【例】Hundreds of soldiers died in this bloody battle. 成百上千的战士在这场血战中牺牲。blunder ['blVndK] n. (因无知、粗心等造成的)错误 vi. 1.跌跌撞撞地走,慌乱地走2.犯错误 【同】 lapse 【例】Is man one of God’s blunder or is God one of man’s blunders? 是人类是上帝的大错,还是上帝是人类的大错? I've made an awful blunder. 我做了一件大错特错的事。The police blundered badly by arresting the wrong man. 警方抓错了人,犯了荒唐的大错。blush [blVS] vi. /n. 脸红 【例】She blushed when he scolded her. 他责备她时,她脸红了。The student murmured the answer with a blush. 那个学生红着脸小声说出了答案。boiler ['bOilK] n.锅炉;热水贮槽 【例】I happened to meet him in the boiler room. 我碰巧在锅炉房碰到他。bolt [bKult] n. 1.螺栓2.(门或窗的)插销,闩 vt. 闰,栓住 vi. 冲出去,逃跑 【例】We need an eye bolt to fit this valve. 我们需要一个有眼螺栓来固定这个阀门。The frightened boy bolted all the doors and windows. 这个吓坏了的孩子闩上了所有的门窗。bond [bOnd] n. 1.联结,联系2.粘结剂,粘合剂3.公债,债券4.契约,合同 v. (使)粘合,(使)结合 【同】 union 【例】An honest man’s word is as good as his bond. 诚实的人的话跟他的契约一样可靠。Common tastes form a bond between the two men. 共同的爱好使两人结交为朋友。bonus ['bKunKs] n. 1.奖金,红利2.额外给予的东西boom [bu:m] n. 1.(营业等的)激增,(经济等的)繁荣,迅速发展2.隆隆声, 嗡嗡声 v. 1.激增,繁荣,迅速发展2.发出隆隆声 【同】 swell 【例】Business is booming. 商业正在迅速发展。The oil market is enjoying a boom. 石油市场欣欣向荣。It's a boom year this year. 今年是繁荣昌盛的一年。booth [bu:D] n. 1.(隔开的)小房间,公用电话亭,岗亭2.售货棚,货摊 【例】There is a telephone booth near the cinema. 电影院附近有一个电话亭。bough [bau] n.树枝 【例】The bough was loaded with fruit. 树枝上果实累累。bounce [bauns] vi. (使)弹起,(使)反弹,(使)颠跳 n. 弹,反弹 【例】The ball hit the wall and bounced off it. 球打在墙上又反弹回来。I bounced the baby on my knee. 我把婴儿放在膝上上下颠着。boycott ['bOikOt] vt./n. (联合)抵制,拒绝参与 【同】 resist 【例】Athletes from several countries boycotted this Olympic Games. 有几国的运动员抵制奥林匹克运动会。brace [breis] vt. 1.使防备,使受锻炼2.支住,撑牢3.使绷紧 n. 支架,托架 【同】 encourage 【例】The struts are firmly braced. 骨架的支柱很牢固。The struts are firmly braced. 那些支柱上得很牢固。bracket ['br<kit] n. 1.括号2.(年龄、收入等的)等级段,档次3.壁架,托架 vt. 1.把...置于括号内2.把...归入同一类 【例】Put your name in brackets at the top of each page. 把你的名字填写在每页上端的括号内。The worker fixed a bracket on the wall. 工人在墙上固定了一个支架。brand [br<nd] n. 商标,(商品的)牌子 vt. 1.打烙印于,以烙铁打(标记)2.加污名于,谴责 【例】He has his own brand of humor. 他有他独特的幽默感。These frightful experiences are branded on his memory. 这些可怕的经历深深印入他的记忆。breed [bri:d] n. 产种,品种 vi. 繁殖,产vt. 1.饲养,繁殖2.养育,培育3.酿成,产生 【同】 propagate 【例】Familiarity breeds contempt. 熟悉滋生轻蔑。I had bred a dozen of chickens. 我饲养了12只小鸡。breeze [bri:z] n. 微风,轻风 vi. 飘然而行 【例】We are enjoying the cool breeze that comes from the lake. 我们享受着湖面上吹来的凉爽微风。She breezed along, smiling at everyone. 她轻盈地向前走去,对每个人都嫣然含笑。He ran for president and breezed in. 他竞选总统,结果轻而易举地获胜了。He breezed through the task. 他轻松地做完了这项工作。brilliant ['briliKnt] a. 1.光辉的,灿烂的2.卓越的,杰出的 【同】 shining 【例】My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me. 我最辉煌的成就是说服妻子嫁给我的能力。Stars are brilliant in the clear night sky. 星星在晴朗的夜空闪亮。brim [brim] n. 1.帽檐2.(容器的)边,边缘 vi. 注满,充溢 【同】 margin 【例】If you cannot inspire a woman with love of you, full her above the brim
all that runs over will be yours. 如果不能激起一位女子对你的爱,就用她对自己的爱盛满她吧。漫过边沿的那些都将属于你。He filled the cup to the brim. 他倒了满满一杯。He brimmed a cup with wine. 他斟满一杯酒。brisk [brisk] a. 1.轻快的,生气勃勃的2.兴隆的,繁忙活跃的3.寒冷而清新的 【同】 active 【例】His brisk walking aroused our curiosity. 他轻快的步伐引起了我们的好奇。A brisk walk in cool weather is invigorating. 在凉爽的天气里轻松地散步令人心旷神怡。brittle ['britl] a. 1.易碎的,易损坏的2.脆弱的,靠不住的3.冷淡的,不友好的4.(声音)尖利的 【同】 crisp 【例】Glasses and lasses are brittle ware. 玻璃和少女都是脆弱的东西。He has a brittle temper. 他脾气急。Constant stress has made our nerves brittle. 我们长期处于紧张状态,神经已经吃不消了。brochure ['brKuSK] n. 小册子,小册brutal ['bru:tl] a. 1.野兽般的,残忍的2.无情的,冷酷的,难以忍受的 【同】 unmerciful 【例】A brutal murderer killed ten people. 一个残忍的杀手杀死了几个人。Many a rich businessman reached the top by trampling on others in the most brutal way. 许多富商靠极其残酷地践踏别人而爬了上去。bubble ['bVbl] n. 泡,水泡,气泡 vi. 冒泡,起泡 【同】 erupt 【例】Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round the full at evening. 真理是坚韧的。它不会像水泡似的一触即破。你可以拿它当足球整天踢来踢去,到晚上它还会是圆鼓鼓的。One generation blows bubbles, and the next breaks them. 前一代人制造出来的空洞理论,下一代人把它们打破。The gas bubbled to the surface of the water. 气体变成气泡升上水面。He bubbled questions. 他接二连三地提问题。budget ['bVdZit] n. 预算,预算拨款 vi. (for)编预算,作安排 vt. 规划,安排 a. 低廉的,收费公道的 【同】 accounts 【例】The only good budget is a balanced budget. 只有平衡的预算才是好的预算。The Chancellor of the Exchequer is expected to announce tax cuts in this year's budget. 人们期望财政大臣公布在本年度预算中削减税收。A family on a budget can't afford meat every day. 经济拮据的家庭不能每天享用肉食。With the limited budget, the government is unable to invest much money in education. 政府因预算有限,不能对教育进行大比投资。buffet ['bVfit] n. 1.(火车站的)饮食柜台,(火车内的)餐车2.自助餐 vt. 反复敲打,连续猛击 【例】We had a buffet supper last evening. 昨天晚上,我们吃了一次自助晚餐。The ship buffeted through the big waves. 这艘船在波涛中奋勇前进。bug [bVg] n. 1.虫子2.小病,(机器等)故障,缺陷3.窃听器 vt. 1.烦扰,纠缠2.在...装窃听器 【例】The police tested the room for bugs. 警察检查房间里是否放有窃听器。Our test flight was to discover the bugs in the new plane. 试验飞行是为了发现新飞机有何毛病。bulb [bVlb] n.电灯泡;球状物 【例】Onions and lilies grow from bulbs. 洋葱和百合是从球茎中长出的。bulk [bVlk] n. 1.(巨大)物体, (大)块, (大)团2.主体, 绝大部分3.(巨大的)体积, (大)量 vi. 变得越来越大(或重要)vt. 使更大(或更厚) 【同】 extent 【例】I do not have a high opinion of the bulk of mankind. I feel that the irrational forces in man’s nature are so strong that the rational forces have little chance of success against them. 我对人类的大部分没有多高的评价。我觉得人怀中非理发的力量是如此强大,理性力量几乎没有战胜它们的可能。Do they charge carriage by bulk? 他们是否按体积计算运费? The cake bulked up. 蛋糕发起来了。bull [bul] n. 1.公牛,雄兽2.买进证券(或商品等)投机图利者,(牟股市行情)看涨的人 【例】He likes to throw the bull. 他喜欢吹牛。bulletin ['bulKtin] n. 1.(报纸、电台等)简明新闻,最新消息2.公告,布告,公报3.学报,期刊(尤指某机构的机关刊物) 【同】 announcement 【例】The medical association publishes a bulletin each mouth. 该医学协会每月刊印一期会刊。He posted a bulletin on the board. 他在布告板上贴了一张公告。bump [bVmp] vi. 1.(against, into)碰,撞2.颠簸着前进 n. 1.碰撞,猛撞2.(碰撞造成的)肿块3.隆起物 【同】 crash 【例】He who hesitates gets bumped from the rear. 迟疑不决者会从后面挨撞。I've bumped my knee on the wall. 我的膝盖撞上了墙壁。We bumped up and down along the gravel path. 我们沿砾石小路颠簸而行。He fell down with a bump. 他噗通一声倒了下去。She got a bump on her head. 她头上撞起了一个包。bundle ['bVndl] n. 捆,包,束 vt. 收集,归拢,把...塞入 【例】He sold a bundle of old magazines to the second hand bookstore. 他把一捆就杂志卖给了旧书店。bureau ['bjuKrKu] n. 局,办事处,分社 【例】He worked in a travel bureau. 他在一家旅行社工作。bypass ['baipA:s] n. 1.(绕过市镇的)旁道,迂回道2.分流术,旁通管 vt. 1.绕过,绕... 走2.越过,置...于不顾 【同】side route 【例】If we take the bypass, we will avoid the town center. 我们走旁道,就可以避开市镇中心。by-product ['bai,prOdKt] n.副产品; (意外或无心的)附带生成的结果Ccabbage ['k<bidZ] n. 卷心菜,洋白菜 【例】I like to cook dishes with cabbage. 我喜欢用洋白菜做菜。cabinet ['k<binKt] n. 1.内阁2.贮藏橱,陈列柜 【例】The question was discussed in cabinet. 在内阁会议上讨论了这个问题。cable ['keibl] n. 1.缆绳,钢索2.电缆3.(海底)电报 vt. 给...发电报,用电报传送 【例】A number of cables are needed in this project. 这项工程需要大量电缆。She cabled the good news about her arrival in Chicago. 她打电报说她已顺利到达芝加哥。cafeteria [,k<fK'tiKriK] n. 自助餐馆,自助食堂calculate ['k<lkjuleit] vt. 1.计算,核算2.估计,推测3.计划,打算 【例】The government has to calculate the likely effects on revenues of a big drop in the oil price. 政府必须估算出油价大幅度下降对财政收入可能产生的影响。The scientists calculated when the spacecraft would reach the moon. 科学家推算出宇宙飞船抵达月球的时间。The new regulations are deliberately calculated to make cheating impossible. 新的法规旨在杜绝诈骗行为。calendar ['k<lindK] n. 日历,月历 【同】 list 【例】Life is not dated merely by years. Events are sometimes the best calendars. 生活不仅以年度计算,有时事是最好的历书。He put the desk calendar on the shelf. 他把台历放在书架上。camel ['k<mKl] n. 骆驼 【例】The merchant decided to use camels to carry his goods across the desert. 商人决定用骆驼载运货物穿过沙漠。canal [kK'n<l] n. 运河,沟渠 【例】Many oceangoing ships are sailing on the canal. 许多远洋船只在这条运河上航行。candidate ['k<ndidKt] n. 1.申请求职者2.投考者3.候选人 【例】There are three candidates for the vacancy. 这一空缺有三名候选人。cannon ['k<nKn] n. 大炮,火炮canoe [kK'nu:] n. 独木舟vi. 乘独木舟,划独木舟 【例】We crossed the lake in a canoe. 我们乘独木舟过河。canteen [k<n'ti:n] n. (工厂、学校等的) 临时餐厅, 小卖部canvas ['k<nvKs] n. 1.帆布2.帆布画布,(帆布)油画 【同】 tenting 【例】Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination. 爱情是块得自天性、由想象力刺绣的画布。The artist showed me his canvases. 画家给我看了他的油画。capacity [kK'p<siti] n. 1.容量,容积2.才能,能力3.身份,职位 【例】The lift has a capacity of 15 persons. 这部电梯的载容量为15 人。capitalism ['k<pitKlizKm] n. 资本主义capsule ['k<psju:l] n. 1.胶囊(剂)2.航天舱,密封舱 【例】The capsule is filled with small soluble cases. 胶囊里充满了可溶的小颗粒。This capsule is used for animals. 这个太空舱是用来装载动物的。captive ['k<ptiv] a. 被俘虏的,被捕获的 n. 俘虏 【同】 restricted 【例】You are not free until you have been made captive by supreme. 在被至人的信仰俘获之前,你不是自由的。She was held captive for almost a month. 她被监禁了将近一个月。He remained a captive to her beauty. 他始终为她的美貌所迷惑。carbon ['kA:bKn] n. 碳 【例】The stick of carbon is often used in an electric arc lamp. 碳精棒常用于电弧灯。I make a carbon copy of my documents. 我用复写纸复写文件。career [kK'riK] n. 生涯,职业 【例】His early career was not a great success. 他早期的生涯并不很成功。carrier ['k<riK] n. 1.运输公司,运输工具2.带菌者3.载重架,置物架 【例】He used to be a mail carrier. 他曾是个邮递员。cartoon [kA:'tu:n] n. 1.漫画,幽默画2.动画片 【同】 satire 【例】Children usually like cartoons. 孩子们通常都喜欢动画片。cassette [kK'set] n. 盒式录音(或录像)带 【例】He bought a new cassette recorder. 他买了一台新的盒式录音机。casual ['k<ZuKl] a. 1.漠不关心的,冷淡2.随便的,非正式的3.偶然的,碰巧的4.临时的,不定期的 【同】 irregular 【例】As casual sheer reading-matter, I still find the English dictionary the most interesting books in our language. 作为纯粹随意浏览的读物,我还是觉得英语词典是以我们的语言写成的最有趣的书。She is casual about winning the prize. 她对获奖漫不经心。A casual newspaper reader wouldn't like articles on politics everyday. 不经心的报纸读者不会喜欢每天都有政论文章。casualty ['k<ZuKlti] n. 1.伤亡人员,死伤者2.受害人,损失的东西catalog ['k<tKlO:g] n. 1.目录(册)2.一系列 vt. 将...编入目录,将(书籍,资料等)编目 【例】You can look for the book in the library catalog. 你可以在图书馆的图书目录上查找这本书。Can you catalog all these books? 你能给所有这些书编目录吗?category ['k<tigKri] n. 种类,类,类别caution ['kO:Sn] n. 1.小心,谨慎2.注意(事项),警告 vt. 警告,劝...小心 【同】 warning 【例】Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps most fatal to true happiness. 在所有的谨慎中,爱情上的谨慎也许是对于真正的祝福最重要的一种。He told us to proceed with caution. 他要我们谨慎行事。I must caution you against the danger. 我必须告诫你应谨防危险。cautious ['kO:SKs] a. 十分小心的,谨慎的 【例】He is cautious in his choice of words. 他措辞很谨慎。She is cautious of telling secrets. 她很谨慎,不会泄露秘密。cellar ['selK] n. 1.地窖,地下室2.酒窖 【例】The plumber went down to the cellar to fix the leaky pipe. 管道工到地下室去修漏水的管子。cement [si'ment] n. 1.水泥2.胶结材料 vt. 1.粘结,胶合2.巩固,使团结 【例】The floor has been cemented over. 地板上铺了一层水泥。Our object is to further cement trade relations. 我们的目标是进一步加强贸易关系。census ['sensKs] n. 人口普查,统计 【同】official counting of all the people 【例】The population of China is nearly 1.3 billion according to the latest census. 根据最近一项人口普查,中国人口接近13亿。The census is taken one time every four years in our country. 我国每四年一次人口普查。centigrade ['sentigreid] a. 摄氏的centimetre ['senti,mi:tK] n. 厘米 【例】The boy is 150 centimetres tall. 这个男孩有150厘米高。He is 5 centimetres taller than her. 他比她高5公分。certainty ['sK:tnti] n. 1.必然的事,确定的事实2.确信,确实 【例】I can't say with any certainty where I shall be next week. 我说不准下星期在什么地方。We have no certainty of success. 我们没有成功的把握。challenge ['tS<lKndZ] n. 1.艰巨的任务2.怀疑,质问3.挑战,邀请比赛 vt. 1.反对,公然反抗2.向...挑战3.对...质疑,对...怀疑 【同】 claim 【例】If scientific discovery has not been an unalloyed blessing, if it has conferred on mankind the power not only to create but also to annihilate, it has at the same time provided humanity with a supreme challenge and a supreme testing. 如果科学发现不是纯粹的喜事,如果它赋予了人类不仅是创造还有毁灭的力量,它同时就向人性提出了最大的挑战和最大的考验。This career offers a challenge. 这份职业具有挑战性。They had challenged and beaten the best team in the world. 他们曾向世界上最强的球队挑战并将他们打败。Friends allow us to savor our success and our joys, comfort us in our challenging moments, and provide a mirror for us to learn more about ourselves. 朋友让我们品尝成功和喜悦的滋味,在我们面临挑战时安慰我们,让我们自我反省以更好地认识自己。Many professors encourage students to question and challenge their ideas. 很多教授鼓励学生对自己的观点提问并且提出挑战。channel ['tS<nl] n. 1.频道2.[常pl.] 渠道,途径3.沟渠4.海峡,水道,航道 【例】Ships must follow the channel into the port. 船只必须沿航道进入港口。chaos ['keiOs] n. 混乱,紊乱 【同】 discord 【例】The burglar left the house in chaos. 盗贼走后,屋子里一片混乱。After the failure of the electricity supplies the city was in chaos. 电力供应中断,城市陷于混乱之中。characteristic [,k<rKktK'ristik] a. 特有的,典型的 n. 特性,特征 【例】Sympathy is the feeling characteristic of mankind. 同情心是人类特有的感情。Ambition is a characteristic of all successful businessmen. 雄心勃勃是所有成功生意人的共同特点。characterize ['k<rKktKraiz] vt. 1.成为...的特征,以...为特征2.描绘(人或物)的特性,描述 【同】 describe 【例】The rolling hills characterized this part of England. 丘陵是英格兰这一地区的主要特征。You}

我要回帖

更多关于 what ever will be 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信