White Lies Essay - 1308 Words
White Lies
White Lies
Only available on StudyMode
(1308 words
Download(s)
: July 23, 2011
Please sign up to read full document.
In the short story Salvation by Langston Hughes, he is deceived by his aunt the rest of the community in regards to Jesus and his existence. While many parents would say that they always want their children to be honest, they often themselves lie unintentionally. There is a difference in lying to children and telling a white lie. When someone lies they are knowingly providing false information for the purpose of deception. On the other hand white lies are untruthful statements that are not meant to harm, instead they are positive. White lies serve as to avoid hurting the feelings of the listener and to avoid negative reactions from the listener to the speaker if the truth is told. Much of today’s parenting revolves around white lies. Parenting consists of telling white lies to help protect a child’s innocence, promote creativity and teach them important social skills.
Children are told white lies by their parents not to harm them but to protect their innocence. For instance, one of the all time favorite white lie is Santa Claus followed by the tooth fairy and Easter bunny. All of these characters help preserve their innocence and lets them just be kids. Santa Claus works in favor of the parents for the most part, children have to behave in order to receive a present if not they receive coal. When a child becomes aware that there is no Santa Clause it is time to tell them the truth. It is crucial that it is explained in a positive way so that the child does not feel betrayed. The belief of Santa Claus is most often the last frontier of their innocence, and to deny them that would be robbing them of their childhood. Another example, is when a child realizes or becomes aware of financial struggle in the family, it is the duty of the parent to reassure their child that everything is fine. Even though, it is a lie but it is being said to protect a child from worrying. A child does not need to worry whether the parent is going to have money to buy food or pay the...
YOU MAY ALSO FIND THESE DOCUMENTS HELPFUL
Topic: Do you believe what Dr. Paulo says?
“Lies are a part of everyday life?” Why or why not?
“Lies are a part of everyday life.” What Dr. Paulo says seems horrible but it’s true.
People tell lies for different purposes.
Doctors lie to their dying patients to m politicians lie to their cit employees lie to their bosses to get good impression so they can be promoted.
Whether it’s good or evil,
lies never stopped.
Sometimes, lies are heart breaking. You know it’s hateful but you can hardly blame on it. I watched the popular TV drama “Breaking bad” recently.
The chemistry teacher Mr. White, after diagnosed with lung cancer, he cook drug and make enough money to make sure his wife and his children have a comfortable life without him. He lied to his family, lied to his brother in law who is a policeman of DEA.
I have complex feelings towards this figure because he is obviously a big liar, he is doing wrong thing but in good will.
Sometimes, lies make you feel guilty but there seems no better choice.
For example, I lied to the bank officers that I have a flight to catch so I don’t have time to queue up the long line.
I clearly understood if I don’t tell them a lie, I will waste my whole morning to wait in the bank and doing nothing.
If I don’t tell them a lie, then I have to tell my boss a bigger lie why I was absent the...
...?Body of Lies? is one of the most popular action-thriller movies in 2008. Do you still remember the legendary movie the ?Gladiator?? Are you asking yourself what is the connection between two so different movies? The answer is simple, the same director Ridley Scott and the same actor Russell Crowe. But you might not recognised Russell Crowe at first, he lost his gladiator body look because, had to put on weight for 40 kilos.
Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) is the best
field operating man of American intelligence, where information is more important than life. In operations, he is observed and controlled by CIA’s veteran Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe) is a typical fat American and thinks that he is very important but as Ferris says: ? Ed Hoffman doesn't know shit until he steals it from the guy on the ground and that's me.? He has an omnipresent observation satellite and follows his every step. Hoffman comes on trace of the terrorist organisation leader Al-Saleem, who is planning bomb attacks all around the world. Ferris is sent to Jordan, to find out where he is hiding, he connects with head of local secret service Hani, but his effort is destroyed, because Hoffman always leads some sting operation. We can see Rogers anger from this dialog: ?Fucking cocksucker. How do you expect me to run an operation, when you're running a side operation that fucks up my own.?. That Ferris would lead terrorist to trap on, he sneaks in to his world. But when he is approaching...
...White Room of Lies
As a human race, our instinct is to distance ourselves from the unknown or to hate change for people generally view change negatively. Being that the current time period is in our present 21st century, people have become more accepting of how diverse society is. One of the still sensitive topics is gays and gay rights. Based off of how the bible could be interpreted as a criticism of anything other than a heterosexual relationship, the
typical wedding settings have been displayed is easy to discriminate against something that is different “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have comm they shall su their blood is upon them” (Leviticus 20:13). In the song “Black Room Boy” by Above and Beyond, it describes the isolated feelings of not being accepted by society or by family when you are truly gay, and the pain of trying to hide who you really are. The artist group Above and Beyond used a series of rhetorical strategies like diction, and metaphors to enlighten their audience about this pain. There is a black and white photograph,” Black and White Graffiti Room Tattoo” that ironically sheds more light onto these isolated feelings that this song describes.
In the song “Black Room Boy”, there is this boy that is living in a white room, or taking on the image that society wants him to portray,...
...“Hills Like White Elephants”
The text “ Hills like white elephants” under analysis comes from the book,
the collection of short stories “Men Without Women “(1927) written by American author Ernest Hemingway.
“Men Without Women” was Hemingway's second book of short stories. It was published in October 1927 with a first print-run of approximately 7600 copies.
The author is famous for his distinctive writing style, characterized by economy and understatement,
influenced 20th-century fiction. Ernest Hemingway
produced most of his works between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. Hemingway's fiction was successful because the characters he presented exhibited authenticity that resonated with his audience. Many of his works are classics of American literature. He published seven novels, six short story collections, and two non-fiction works a further three novels, four collections of short stories, and three non-fiction works were published posthumously.
The couple in the middle of the story is making a radical decision of the problem where there are only two choices, two directions. They face this problem and we can observe their conversation and just imagine the result of this discussion because the story is unfinished. The text deals with the idea of abortion. Though the word “abortion” is nowhere in the story, it is doubtlessly understood through Hemingway’s powerful use of two...
...The Significance of White: Doran Gray
Historically, the color white has been used as a motif of both life and death. For instance, white is the traditional color of wedding dresses in both western and Japanese cultures. White is used to symbolize purity in western culture weddings. On the other hand, white is used to signify the death of the old family and introduce the new family.
In the novel, The Picture of Dorian
Gray, one of the most vital motifs is the color white. The meaning of this color develops as the novel progresses and corresponds in relation to the trajectory of Dorian’s character. Even though the motif never physically amends in appearance, it is successful in transforming its’ meaning entirely. Indicating the immense dissimilarity in Dorian from the start of the novel to the end.
In the opening of the novel, the color white is used to express Dorian Grey as a character of purity and youth. For example, while Basil is describing the first time he met Dorian, he says that, “When our eyes met, I felt that I was growing pale” (9.) This suggests that the color white resembles a kind of lucidity, as if Dorian’s righteousness eases all that he communicates with. Likewise, Lord Henry frequently describes Dorian’s youth as his, “rose-white boyhood” (21.) and, “the white purity of boyhood” (37.) In both quotations, the...
...Blue Sky, Red Sunset, White Clouds
Table of Contents
I – Blue Sky, Red Sunset, White Clouds
1.1 Why do we have Blue Sky?
1.2 Why is the Sunset Red?
1.3 Why is Clouds White?
II – Conclusion
III - References
Not all colors are the result of subtraction and addition of light. Some colors like the blue sky result from the selective scattering of the colors of light by particles in the
atmosphere. The color scattered by the particles depends on the size of the particles themselves.
Violet is scat our eyes are not very sensitive to violet. The scattered blue light predominates, so we see the sky as blue. The Color of the sky varies with the conditions of the atmosphere. On days when the atmosphere contains water vapor, particles of dust, and others bigger than nitrogen and oxygen, the sky appears less blue compared to clear dry days.
Why do we have Blue Sky?
The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.
However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches...
...Gabriel Connor Shaw
Mr. valentin
English 10R
8 June 2012
The black and white world of 1984 seen through dark eyes
The café scene by Salvador Dali was painted in the mid 1900’s and it depicts two people sitting down for a drink is the primary image but there is a secondary image of a skull that is created by the first image of the people. The paintings beauty and story can be related to George Orwell’s novel 1984 which is
a love story about a futuristic science fiction society that is completely controlled by the government. Death was referred to several times in the narrative and it ultimately became the main character Winston’s destiny. Winston’s love for the character Julia ultimately became his demise. One may say the painting café scene by Salvador Dali and 1984 relate through love, death, and the shades of black and white.
Salvador Felipe Jacinto Dali I Domenech was born in Spain. As an adult, he made his home with his wife. Many of his paintings reflect his love for Spain. Dali’s painting the café scene was painted in the early 1940’s and reflects nightmares in “moontide” (history of art 1). By the time of his death, Salvador Dali had become one of the world’s most famous artists. Many of his paintings hang in many of the world’s great museums. The general public embraced his work more than that of other artists. Dali’s paintings and other artistic creations clearly...
...motifs is that of the color white and its variants, including, but not limited to, pale and listless. The meaning of this color evolves as the novel progresses, changing in relation to Dorian's character. While the motif may never physically alter in appearance, it succeeds in reversing meaning completely, signifying the great contrast in Dorian's soul between the beginning of the novel and the end.
In the very beginning of the novel, as Basil speaks of his first encounter
with Mr. Gray, he notes that when their &eyes met, I [Basil] felt that I was growing pale& (9). The motif comes to signify a sort o as if Dorian's purity softens everything around he comes into contact with. Similarly, Lord Henry employs the motif when describing Dorian's youth, labeling it as his &rose-white boyhood& (21). Shortly after, Dorian is described as possessing &the white purity of boyhood& (37). In both of these passages, the motif represents its most basic connotation, that of innocence, particularly, the innocence of youth. White gives Dorian's appearance a sense of vivacity. Lord Henry describes Dorian's soul as having &turned to this white girl [Sibyl Vane] and bowed in worship before her& (57). The motif denotes a youthful purity or vitality in Sibyl Vane's soul, most likely one that is shared by Dorian Gray. Her innocence soon grows to incorporate innocent affection for Dorian, as after kissing...
Share this Document
Please enter an email address:
Have a great research document you think will help inspire other StudyMode members?
Share your document
Get full access to more research and tools for only $0.33/day
Upgrade your Membership
More great study tools:Lost Daughters
It's taken me this long to come to terms with that much of what I believed to be true probably is not in terms of my adoption. Especially this statement about my reason for relinquishment.
The child was given up for adoption because birthparents already had several daughters to raise. Birthparents were struggling to make ends met and decided it was better to relinquish her while they still would be able to raise a son.&
The truth is that my gender would not have influenced or changed the fact that I was relinquished. Due to the extreme circumstances related to my birth the fate of a son would not have ended any differently. I used to be jelous on my younger brother for in a way-taking the place that rightfully was mine. I can no longer feel those feelings any longer but I will always suffer from the trauma of adoption separation and the loss of my sisters and a childhood raised with several siblings.
What difference would another mouth to feed have mattered if a family already had exceded the accepted number of children ? None and everything. Truth is that if that statement had been true its likely that my birth parents would have relinquished more than just one child and it probably would not have been the youngest at time-and they would definetely mot have chosen to add another baby if the simple reason was for econmic reasons. Why would my birth father have been able to visit the adoption agency to try to take me back-only to discover I legally no longer was theirs? Would he have used his connections to try to find out where I was sent and more importantly how was he able to find out what country I was sent to ? Would a parent have behaved like that if they only saw children as an economic burden as well as a necessity ? I truely believe my birthfather acted out of love just as I believe my birth mother was prepared to have a large family. I still hold my maternal grandmother responsible for my adoption, there has to be an extremely good reason why my birthparents decided to disown my mother's side of the family. What those reasons are I will most likely never know-perhaps her crime was that she decided I was to relinquished for adoption but there probably was more than that perhaps it's reasons that are connected to my birth and my adoption.
Hilarie Burton aka Peyton Sawyer, in One Tree Hill 14th episode season six "A Hand To Take Hold of The Scen"
Yet I still fear pregnancy or more importantly childbirth, especially since my birthmother was on the brink of death as she gave birth to me. Then again I am not my birth mother, its no longer the 80s and I probably will not give birth to as many children as she have.
Empress Ki
So far I have only experienced one side of loss from adoption trauma which means I'm very reluctant to raise a child all by myself without another parent. It's not nothing wrong with that, but I have my reasons for not wanting my child to experience the loss of their mother or to be born in posthumous birth and especially not a maternal death. I don't mean to say that mothers are more important than a father they both are equally as important. No matter if a child is forced to grove up with a single parent the loss of that missing parent might impact their life and shape their person and their future. I think I finally am ready to consider parenting and motherhood, given that I met the right person. Although there never are any agrantuees in life I feel like I am as comfortable in my own skin as I ever could be.
I have also been afraid of what legacy I will inprint on my child... daughters learn from their mothers... I've seen my mother as an overachiever and perfectionist for much of my life. That was how my mother was raised by her grandmother. I hope I don't walk down the same road or that my children don't mimic me as they grow up... That's the social heritage while I confess I'm also worried about my biological heritage what diseases could lay hidden in my genes... Unlike most adult adoptees I got a small part of my birth parents medical history. It involves two types of cancer, heart disease and fertility issues.
Yes motherhood, may or may not be a source of fear and worry. But I don't think it's right to say to someone that they doubt your ability to be a suitable parent for an&hypothetical child. I think all birth mothers should be offered enough support and resources to enable them to raise their children. Don't threaten a young woman that she may end getting her suitability to care for a future child leading to possible loss of costudy.
Photo taken at Museum Sisters of Mercy, Montreal&
Last fall, I was approached by
about starting an adoptee-centric radio magazine, after they had heard an interview I had done with my friend Stefan on his radio show&. I was unsure about accepting the offer, yet I also felt that I couldn’t turn down such an amazing opportunity. After thinking about it for a week, I invited my friend, filmmaker and adoption prevention activist
to collaborate with me on what would soon become,&.&
For us, Out of the Fog is not only about bringing greater understanding about adoption issues and family separation to people outside of the adoption community-- it’s also about empathy and vulnerability in storytelling. In our past episodes, we have covered topics such as , , , and the .&
While Out of the Fog started as a platform to creatively disseminate important information about issues that are close to us and our communities, I quickly found myself being challenged personally by some of the content of our episodes, particularly the episode on mothers.
As a politically-aware adoptee and feminist, it hadn’t dawned on me that I knew very little about the plight of mothers, until I did more research and interviewed guests for the episode. But even after the episode came out, I was repudiated a number of times by mothers on Facebook groups about using commonly-used terms and expressions like “birth mother” and “surrendering children to adoption”. I was alarmed and very embarrassed because I was trying to be “in solidarity” with them, yet here I was deeply offending them by using words that obscured their experiences as mothers having been forced to give up their children for adoption.
Up until that point, I was ignorant about the origins of these terms and how triggering it could be for mothers to be referred to as “birth mother” or “biological mother”. Yet, it is true that these terms are highly reductive because they focus only on their biological function, and by doing so, do not take into account how their experiences were shaped by gender, class and race. Moreover, “birth mother” is a very static term that insinuates a mother's parental role stops at birth, whereas she still may play an active role in her children or adult children’s lives.&
I understand the desire to distinguish between one’s family and one’s adoptive family, but there is an indelible power in language that should not be ignored. Whether you acknowledge it or not, your choice of words holds power and it affects people's interpretation and understanding of the issue. These terms are problematic because they do not convey what actually happened and what is still happening today: mothers and fathers are forced to give up their children, usually because they are young and unwed (which still happens in some countries) or because they lack the financial, psycho-social support or tools to raise their children.
I’m truly happy that I got called out on my use of “birth mother” because it forced me to look at how mothers of adoption loss do not get the recognition as mothers that they deserve. Since then, I no longer use these terms out of respect for both mothers and fathers. If I need to assign titles or make distinctions, I use "mother" or "Ethiopian mother" and "adoptive mother". In doing so, I'm stating the truth in a way that is recognizing Ethiopian mothers motherhood, even if they rarely have the power to an play active role in their adopted Western children or adult children’s lives. Still, their loss and grief is not widely acknowledged. I think partly because there is a pervasive idea that it is a “good thing” for c that the mother made the “right choice” and that her children are better off. In fact, it’s almost seen as a heroic and selfless act that is done out of love. People tend to either commend or shame mothers for giving up their children (especially because we are extremely quick to judge women for being bad or unfit mothers), but one of the misconceptions is that children are given up out of love when it's really desperation and survival. Kat, a self-identified birth mother and PhD student, who appeared on our , describes how mothers are told to forget about their children or that they will forget, but that it’s a myth. The loss and grief that mothers experience is long-term, possibly lifelong and because of this, they tend to have higher risks of suicide, mental illness, higher instances of secondary infertility and to make matters worse, it’s difficult to find adequate counselling services.&
Hearing Kat's story and others similar to hers made me realize that my adoptee
how can I talk about reproductive rights and family preservation without learning from and partnering with those who are directly affected? It also made me reflect on the importance of creating more spaces for open discussion with mothers and fathers of adoption loss, because the more adoptees’ create alliances with the less shame, guilt and secrecy will exist. Similarly, the more we understand each other's struggles, the more empathy we create and hopefully, the more we can heal.&
Photo credit:
Kassaye co-hosts , a podcast and radio show on CKUT 90.3 FM. She is also co-editing&, an anthology by Ethiopian adoptees, which is set to come out towards the end of 2017. Besides writing and radio production, she mentors youth living in group homes.
The Library, Covent Garden, London 30 March 2017
Dear Sisters of the Heart,
Last month I had the privilege of hearing these stories of fellow writers, and even though they are not directly adoption-related (except for my presentation), I hope that they might inspire you, too, as they are all stories about resiliency.
You've been in my thoughts a lot these past months, and I hope to share more thoughts on resiliency this summer!&Meanwhile, this story of fellow panelist TOM KEARNEY is amazing! I can't believe that he survived this coma, and lived to tell the tale.&
Part 1 of 3: TfL Bus Crash Survivor and&&founder, TOM KEARNEY, discusses his forthcoming book "Death, Life and The East German Ladies' Swimming Team" about being hit by a London bus on Oxford street and recovering from a near-death coma to take on the Mayor of London and learning how to swim outdoors all year-round.&
JENNIFER JUE-STEUCK discusses her forthcoming INSPIRATION ICE CREAM: A MERMOIR, a book inspired by her (adoptive) mother's battle with ovarian cancer.
&is the author of many books, including&DYING YOUNG, THE MAN FROM SAIGON and&&DANIEL ISN'T TALKING. She talks about her experiences raising a child with autism.
Andy Leppard via Flickr
The other day I had a conversation with a friend about hair dyeing. She was lamenting how often she needs to cover her grays these days. I told her I was sorry, I’ve never had to color my hair and have never wanted to. I told her that recently I’d seen an article saying redheads don’t go gray, and that it gave me hope that maybe I’d not have to worry about whether or not to dye my hair. She talked about the onset of gray hair running in families. I shared stories about my husband and my best friend from college, both of whom went gray very early in life.
Later, I realized how strange my half of the conversation must have sounded. I didn’t say I thought I wouldn’t go gray because others in my family hadn’t; I talked about an article I’d read. I talked about the heredity of other people close to me. I didn’t talk about my own, because I couldn’t. I’m not sure of my mother’s natural hair color. I’ve only seen it bleached very blonde. In faded older pictures, her hair appears a shade of red that could be similar to mine, but I don’t know that it wasn’t dyed then, too. I’ve never seen a picture of my mother or any of her siblings as children. I’ve never seen a picture of any of my grandparents as children, though it probably wouldn’t matter much since those photos would likely be black-and-white. I’ve met a paternal aunt whose hair color is similar to mine, not at all gray, though again, I have no idea if her color was natural. My father’s hair has become more gray since I’ve known him, but I don’t know if it ever had as much red in it as mine. I’ll find out how my hair will age the same way I found out how puberty and pregnancy would affect me—via firsthand experience. I’ll learn about menopause this same way, without the guidance of elder female relatives. I suffer from ancestral amnesia that—unfortunately, in my case—reunion has been unable to cure. Thankfully, these days I’m able to go through entire weeks forgetting that I used to feel I was dropped down on earth from the sky rather than grown in another human’s body. And then, in an unexpected moment, that feeling returns.
Karen Pickell was born and adopted in Ohio in the late 1960s. She reunited with her birth mother in 2005 and with her birth father in 2007. Her husband is an adoptive father of two children, now grown, from his first marriage, one of whom was adopted from Korea. Karen and her husband live in Florida with their two biological children. She is the&founder of&, a catalog of books by and for adoptees.&She blogs about writing, adoption, and other topics at&.
As a reuntied female adult adoptee that currently struggles to manage a life filled with the constant feeling of rejection and abandonment due to the fact that I am the youngest daughter to my birth parents. I was not raised by my birth parents although I think I could have and honestly I would have prefered that. My older sisters was never forcefully nor voluntarilly separated from our birth parents I was the only one who was given that unfortunate fate.
It's a fate I despice yet has been forced to accept, it is also a fate I share with many adoptees - the thing that I still struggle to accept is the fact that my birth parents was able to keep raising their older children yet they couldn't keep me. To know that you have full birth siblings that has been able to be raised in a family by the same parents is hurtful.
Of course the roles might have been reversed, my birth parents could have decided to surrender my oldest sister for adoption while they very well could have decided to keep me. Now my birth parents didn't change their minds, but to know that your birth parents went on to have more children or raise your older siblings when they could not raise you, that is a most cruel fate that I do not wish on anyone.
Like Teen Mum's Catelynn Lowell and Tyler Baltierra, my parents would place me up for adoption while they eventually would end up having another child years after my birth and adoption. My birth parents were not teenagers, they were middleaged and married yet the betrayal, abandonement and ultimat rejection will remain the same. The circumstances and the situatitons may differ slightly.
I was given up for adoption due to the hope and belief that I would get a better life, and I gained another life with a wider access to material things, education and a better social security. Those were things I gained but I was forced to give up so many other things-things people and the Western world often and generally takes for granted.
I am a mere stranger to my birth sister and younger sibling, legally speaking and in reality. What does it help now that I managed to reunite with them at fifteen and met them nine years later? Our roles had already long since been assagined and cemented. My oldest sister was over forthy my youngest sister was only a year older while our younger sibling only learned of my existance a few weeks before my first reunion.
I wish society could begin to realize they would have to reform their thinking that very often is a backwards thinking. Korean adoptions has existed ever since the Korean War, these days the Korean orphans very often are not real orphans but mere paper orphans.
As long as there is this general notion that poor orphans need to be rescued from a live in poverty, or homelessness. The priviliged people will continue to request approval of intercountry and interracial adoption. Thus the demand will continue to be greater than the supply for a cute Asian infant adoptee or whatever other ethnic race.
It's the adoptees that has to live with the&consequences that adoption separation caused, sometimes the birth parents and birth family will have to suffer too.
I don't like this talk about adoptees in this context, but I'm trying to prov a point here.
Perhaps there is no possible solutions that could garantuee a happy, harmonious and stabile adult adoptee... Is it possible to overcome the loss and separation... Maybe open adoptions is the next best thing since the adoptee still would have knowledge and some sort of contact with their birthparents without having to severe all ties for eternity.
It's taken me this long to accept and come to terms with the many lies that I believed was true for many years. My reason for relinquishment and especially knowing that this particular sentence seems to be false.
The child was given up for adoption because birthparents already had several daughters to raise. Birthparents were struggling to make ends met and decided it was better to relinquish her while they still would be able to raise a son.&
The truth is that my gender would not have influenced or changed the fact that I was relinquished. Due to the extreme circumstances related to my birth the fate of a son would not have ended any differently. I used to be jelous on my younger brother for in a way-taking the place that rightfully was mine. I can no longer feel those feelings any longer but I will always suffer from the trauma of adoption separation and the loss of my sisters and a childhood raised with several siblings.
In the era of Trump, one in which White Evangelicals are playing a crucial role in propelling forward a White Nationalist [Supremacist] agenda, I am realizing that as not only an Asian woman but as a transracially, transnationally adopted Asian woman, the White Church in which I was raised and groomed to uphold Whiteness has become a decreasingly safe place for me (and for my kids). If this statement alarms you, it should alarm you. But perhaps not for the reasons you think.
White Church has increasingly become a source of burden and dread, because it is a place where the experiences and perspectives that define who I am as a person of color and as a transracial, transnational adoptee are fundamentally neglected, dismissed, and rejected. Therefore, I have increasingly come to realize that there is no place for me within the White Church, because the White Church can neither acknowledge nor meet the needs of my personal, familial, and social reality.
I have learned over time that Whiteness, and in particular “good Christian” Whiteness can rarely handle being challenged or made uncomfortable--and ultimately it is incredibly resistant to change.
It will perfunctorily smile and open its arms to you, but it will not try to understand you or enter your world. And if you dare to challenge it or make it uncomfortable then the deflective tool and manipulation of false victimhood will manifest in the form of the ever-flowing, eternal fount of White tears to shut you down and accuse you of perpetrating some terribly hateful act upon their Whiteness--simply by doing nothing more than expressing your reality as a person of color.
White Church, I don’t despise you. It’s just time for me to stop trying to fit into your tiny White box. There’s a whole wide world out there full of beautiful, diverse people. Who love and want to be loved.
I hope you find your way out of your dark slumber.
Until, then, farewell...not forever, but for now.
Subscribe to:
Liberty: Consider how issues of race and culture impact adoption, from a mixed-race adoptee who was raised in a white family.
Karen: Discover the latest books, films, and other media on adoption topics, highlighted by a working writer and editor. .
Angela: Learn from Angela as she discusses adoptees and ability, particularly taking to task the intersection of adoption and ableism.
Julie: Read commentary from a published journalist and award-winning copywriter on the latest news stories covering the topic of adoption.
Rosita: Have you ever wondered how adoption and feminism intersect?
Join Rosita as she shares about the adoption experience from a feminist perspective. .
Rebecca: Delve into the complexities of the adoption experience--the personal and political. .
Philomena: Take a slow sip of that glorious coffee, and find inspiration with journalist Philomena (Phyllis Anne) as she sifts through the mosaic that is foster and adoptive life to find personal success. .
Kripa: Find empowerment in discussion of diversity, connections, and identity with a licensed master social worker. .
Lynn: Get the latest information and commentary on adoption policy and legal issues in adoption from a professional paralegal.
Laura: Take a time out and visit with a memorist and mom who writes about the issues facing adoptees who are also parents.
Who else writes for Lost Daughters?
Check out our , our
page, and our archives.
The Lost Daughters Archives
The Lost Daughters Archives
May 20 (1)
May 14 (1)
May 01 (1)
Apr 25 (1)
Apr 01 (1)
Mar 24 (1)
Mar 15 (1)
Feb 11 (1)
Jan 29 (1)
Jan 28 (1)
Jan 06 (1)
Jan 03 (1)
Jan 01 (1)
Dec 30 (1)
Dec 27 (1)
Dec 26 (1)
Nov 13 (1)
Nov 11 (1)
Oct 20 (1)
Sep 23 (1)
Aug 22 (1)
Aug 16 (1)
Jul 16 (1)
Jul 11 (1)
Jul 07 (1)
Jun 16 (1)
Jun 14 (1)
Jun 11 (1)
Jun 06 (1)
May 28 (1)
May 26 (1)
May 10 (1)
Apr 16 (1)
Apr 11 (1)
Apr 08 (1)
Apr 04 (1)
Mar 14 (2)
Feb 22 (1)
Feb 08 (1)
Jan 18 (1)
Jan 06 (1)
Jan 02 (1)
Dec 31 (1)
Dec 03 (1)
Dec 01 (1)
Nov 29 (1)
Nov 28 (1)
Nov 27 (2)
Nov 25 (2)
Nov 23 (1)
Nov 22 (1)
Nov 21 (1)
Nov 20 (1)
Nov 19 (1)
Nov 18 (1)
Nov 17 (1)
Nov 16 (1)
Nov 15 (1)
Nov 14 (1)
Nov 13 (2)
Nov 12 (1)
Nov 10 (1)
Nov 09 (1)
Nov 08 (1)
Nov 07 (2)
Nov 06 (1)
Nov 04 (1)
Nov 03 (1)
Nov 02 (1)
Nov 01 (1)
Oct 26 (1)
Oct 24 (2)
Oct 22 (1)
Oct 19 (1)
Oct 16 (1)
Oct 04 (1)
Sep 30 (1)
Sep 29 (1)
Sep 28 (1)
Sep 26 (1)
Sep 25 (1)
Sep 24 (1)
Sep 22 (1)
Sep 21 (1)
Sep 12 (1)
Sep 10 (1)
Sep 09 (1)
Sep 08 (1)
Sep 07 (1)
Sep 03 (1)
Sep 02 (1)
Sep 01 (1)
Aug 29 (1)
Aug 25 (1)
Aug 19 (1)
Aug 16 (1)
Aug 14 (1)
Aug 08 (1)
Aug 04 (1)
Aug 01 (1)
Jul 23 (1)
Jul 20 (1)
Jul 13 (2)
Jul 10 (1)
Jul 09 (1)
Jul 08 (1)
Jul 07 (1)
Jun 26 (1)
Jun 25 (1)
Jun 20 (1)
Jun 16 (1)
Jun 14 (1)
Jun 06 (1)
Jun 04 (1)
May 31 (1)
May 19 (1)
May 18 (1)
May 07 (1)
May 04 (1)
Apr 26 (1)
Apr 21 (1)
Apr 16 (1)
Apr 15 (1)
Apr 14 (1)
Apr 12 (1)
Apr 11 (1)
Apr 10 (1)
Apr 06 (1)
Apr 05 (1)
Apr 04 (1)
Apr 03 (1)
Apr 01 (1)
Mar 29 (1)
Mar 28 (1)
Mar 23 (1)
Mar 19 (1)
Mar 17 (1)
Mar 14 (1)
Mar 13 (1)
Mar 11 (1)
Mar 09 (1)
Mar 08 (1)
Mar 06 (1)
Mar 03 (1)
Mar 02 (1)
Feb 28 (1)
Feb 25 (1)
Feb 22 (1)
Feb 19 (1)
Feb 18 (1)
Feb 17 (1)
Feb 09 (1)
Feb 08 (1)
Feb 07 (1)
Feb 06 (1)
Jan 25 (1)
Jan 19 (1)
Jan 12 (2)
Jan 10 (1)
Jan 08 (1)
Jan 06 (1)
Jan 05 (1)
Jan 02 (1)
Jan 01 (1)
Dec 26 (1)
Dec 24 (1)
Dec 22 (1)
Dec 21 (1)
Dec 16 (1)
Dec 15 (2)
Dec 13 (1)
Dec 11 (1)
Dec 07 (1)
Dec 05 (1)
Dec 04 (2)
Dec 03 (1)
Dec 02 (1)
Nov 30 (1)
Nov 28 (1)
Nov 27 (1)
Nov 26 (1)
Nov 25 (1)
Nov 24 (1)
Nov 23 (1)
Nov 22 (1)
Nov 17 (1)
Nov 16 (1)
Nov 14 (1)
Nov 13 (1)
Nov 12 (1)
Nov 11 (1)
Nov 10 (1)
Nov 09 (1)
Nov 07 (1)
Nov 06 (1)
Nov 03 (1)
Nov 01 (1)
Oct 30 (1)
Oct 29 (1)
Oct 25 (1)
Oct 24 (1)
Oct 23 (1)
Oct 19 (1)
Oct 14 (1)
Oct 10 (1)
Oct 09 (1)
Oct 01 (1)
Sep 19 (1)
Sep 16 (1)
Sep 12 (1)
Sep 10 (1)
Sep 09 (1)
Sep 02 (1)
Aug 30 (1)
Aug 25 (1)
Aug 17 (1)
Aug 16 (1)
Aug 15 (1)
Aug 12 (1)
Aug 08 (1)
Aug 03 (1)
Jul 31 (1)
Jul 23 (1)
Jul 21 (1)
Jul 18 (1)
Jul 15 (1)
Jul 04 (1)
Jun 14 (1)
Jun 10 (1)
Jun 06 (1)
Jun 02 (3)
Jun 01 (1)
May 28 (1)
May 25 (1)
May 20 (1)
May 19 (1)
May 14 (1)
May 11 (1)
May 07 (1)
Apr 27 (1)
Apr 24 (1)
Apr 19 (1)
Apr 17 (1)
Apr 12 (1)
Apr 11 (1)
Apr 08 (1)
Apr 06 (1)
Apr 02 (1)
Mar 31 (2)
Mar 26 (1)
Mar 11 (1)
Mar 08 (1)
Mar 03 (1)
Mar 01 (1)
Feb 21 (1)
Feb 20 (1)
Feb 14 (1)
Feb 13 (1)
Feb 08 (1)
Feb 03 (1)
Jan 29 (1)
Jan 27 (1)
Jan 25 (1)
Jan 21 (1)
Jan 20 (1)
Jan 13 (1)
Jan 10 (1)
Jan 04 (1)
Jan 01 (1)
Dec 30 (1)
Dec 29 (1)
Dec 28 (1)
Dec 26 (1)
Dec 24 (1)
Dec 22 (1)
Dec 21 (1)
Dec 19 (1)
Dec 17 (1)
Dec 15 (1)
Dec 12 (1)
Dec 10 (1)
Dec 06 (1)
Dec 03 (1)
Nov 30 (1)
Nov 26 (1)
Nov 23 (1)
Nov 22 (1)
Nov 21 (1)
Nov 19 (1)
Nov 11 (1)
Nov 08 (1)
Nov 07 (1)
Nov 03 (1)
Oct 31 (1)
Oct 30 (1)
Oct 29 (1)
Oct 28 (1)
Oct 25 (1)
Oct 18 (1)
Oct 16 (1)
Oct 15 (2)
Oct 14 (1)
Oct 13 (1)
Oct 12 (1)
Oct 08 (1)
Oct 03 (1)
Oct 02 (1)
Sep 30 (1)
Sep 29 (2)
Sep 26 (1)
Sep 25 (1)
Sep 23 (1)
Sep 16 (1)
Sep 15 (1)
Sep 14 (1)
Sep 13 (1)
Sep 12 (1)
Sep 11 (2)
Sep 10 (1)
Sep 09 (1)
Sep 08 (1)
Sep 05 (1)
Sep 01 (1)
Aug 27 (1)
Aug 26 (1)
Aug 25 (1)
Aug 23 (1)
Aug 21 (1)
Aug 20 (1)
Aug 19 (1)
Aug 18 (1)
Aug 17 (1)
Aug 15 (1)
Aug 13 (1)
Aug 11 (1)
Aug 06 (1)
Jul 30 (1)
Jul 26 (1)
Jul 15 (1)
Jul 10 (1)
Jul 09 (1)
Jul 08 (1)
Jul 04 (1)
Jul 01 (1)
Jun 27 (1)
Jun 26 (1)
Jun 25 (1)
Jun 20 (1)
Jun 18 (1)
Jun 17 (1)
Jun 16 (1)
Jun 13 (1)
Jun 11 (1)
Jun 10 (1)
Jun 06 (1)
Jun 04 (1)
Jun 02 (1)
May 30 (1)
May 29 (1)
May 28 (1)
May 27 (1)
May 24 (1)
May 23 (1)
May 21 (1)
May 18 (1)
May 17 (1)
May 16 (1)
May 14 (1)
May 09 (1)
May 06 (1)
May 03 (1)
Apr 30 (1)
Apr 29 (1)
Apr 28 (1)
Apr 23 (1)
Apr 16 (1)
Apr 15 (2)
Apr 12 (2)
Apr 09 (1)
Apr 04 (1)
Apr 02 (1)
Mar 30 (1)
Mar 26 (1)
Mar 25 (1)
Mar 19 (1)
Mar 09 (1)
Mar 02 (1)
Mar 01 (1)
Feb 27 (1)
Feb 26 (1)
Feb 19 (1)
Feb 18 (1)
Feb 15 (1)
Feb 13 (1)
Feb 11 (1)
Feb 10 (1)
Feb 09 (1)
Feb 08 (1)
Feb 05 (1)
Feb 04 (1)
Feb 03 (1)
Feb 02 (1)
Feb 01 (1)
Jan 29 (1)
Jan 28 (1)
Jan 25 (1)
Jan 22 (2)
Jan 19 (1)
Jan 18 (1)
Jan 16 (1)
Jan 14 (1)
Jan 12 (1)
Jan 11 (1)
Jan 08 (1)
Jan 05 (1)
Jan 02 (1)
Jan 01 (1)
Dec 31 (1)
Dec 29 (1)
Dec 28 (1)
Dec 27 (1)
Dec 26 (1)
Dec 23 (1)
Dec 20 (1)
Dec 17 (1)
Dec 15 (1)
Dec 14 (1)
Dec 13 (1)
Dec 12 (1)
Dec 10 (1)
Dec 09 (1)
Dec 07 (1)
Dec 06 (1)
Dec 05 (1)
Dec 04 (1)
Dec 02 (1)
Nov 30 (1)
Nov 29 (1)
Nov 27 (1)
Nov 26 (1)
Nov 25 (1)
Nov 24 (1)
Nov 23 (1)
Nov 21 (1)
Nov 20 (1)
Nov 19 (1)
Nov 17 (1)
Nov 16 (1)
Nov 15 (1)
Nov 14 (1)
Nov 12 (1)
Nov 11 (1)
Nov 10 (1)
Nov 09 (1)
Nov 08 (1)
Nov 07 (1)
Nov 06 (1)
Nov 05 (1)
Nov 04 (1)
Nov 03 (2)
Nov 02 (1)
Nov 01 (1)
Oct 29 (1)
Oct 26 (1)
Oct 16 (2)
Oct 15 (1)
Oct 11 (1)
Oct 10 (1)
Oct 04 (1)
Sep 30 (1)
Sep 23 (1)
Sep 20 (1)
Sep 15 (1)
Sep 02 (1)
Sep 01 (1)
Aug 29 (1)
Aug 24 (1)
Aug 21 (2)
Aug 20 (1)
Aug 19 (1)
Aug 18 (1)
Aug 17 (1)
Aug 15 (1)
Aug 14 (1)
Aug 13 (1)
Aug 10 (1)
Jul 31 (1)
Jul 29 (1)
Jul 26 (1)
Jul 18 (1)
Jul 16 (1)
Jul 12 (1)
Jul 09 (2)
Jul 06 (1)
Jul 03 (1)
Jun 30 (1)
Jun 28 (1)
Jun 12 (1)
Jun 08 (1)
Jun 04 (1)
May 30 (1)
May 27 (1)
May 24 (1)
May 19 (1)
May 14 (1)
May 10 (1)
May 09 (1)
May 06 (1)
Apr 14 (1)
Apr 09 (1)
Mar 20 (1)
Mar 16 (1)
Mar 09 (1)
Mar 06 (1)
Mar 01 (2)
Feb 26 (1)
Feb 12 (1)
Feb 06 (1)
Feb 01 (1)
Jan 17 (1)
Jan 03 (1)
Dec 09 (1)
Dec 03 (1)
Nov 29 (1)
Nov 22 (1)
Nov 16 (1)
Nov 13 (1)
Nov 08 (1)
Oct 30 (1)
Oct 28 (1)
Oct 23 (1)
Oct 20 (1)
Oct 17 (1)
Oct 16 (1)
Oct 14 (1)
Oct 07 (1)
Oct 06 (1)
Oct 03 (1)
Oct 01 (1)
Sep 29 (2)
Sep 28 (1)
Sep 27 (2)
Sep 22 (1)
Sep 18 (1)
Sep 16 (1)
Sep 15 (1)
Sep 10 (2)
Sep 08 (2)
Sep 01 (1)
Aug 28 (1)
Aug 26 (1)
Aug 25 (2)
Aug 24 (1)
Aug 23 (2)
Aug 22 (1)
Aug 19 (1)
Aug 18 (2)
Aug 13 (1)
Aug 12 (1)
Aug 11 (1)
Aug 10 (1)
Aug 09 (1)
Aug 08 (1)
Aug 04 (1)
Aug 02 (1)
Jul 30 (1)
Jul 29 (1)
Jul 28 (1)
Jul 27 (1)
Jul 26 (2)
Jul 25 (1)
Jul 24 (1)
Jul 23 (1)
Jul 22 (2)
Jul 21 (4)
Jul 17 (1)
Jul 15 (2)
Jul 14 (1)
Jul 11 (2)
Jul 09 (2)
Jul 08 (2)
Jul 07 (1)
Jul 06 (1)
Jul 04 (1)
Jul 03 (1)
Jul 01 (1)
Jun 30 (2)
Jun 29 (1)
Jun 28 (1)
Jun 27 (1)
Jun 25 (1)
Jun 24 (1)
Jun 23 (1)
Jun 22 (1)
Jun 21 (1)
Jun 20 (2)
Jun 19 (1)
Jun 18 (1)
Jun 17 (1)
Jun 16 (1)
Jun 15 (3)
Jun 14 (1)
Follow by Email
Copyright Notice
All text and images contained on this website are copyrighted material, unless otherwise noted, and should not be used or otherwise reproduced without the author's or artist's express written permission. Please feel free to quote short passages from Lost Daughters for sharing, but ask for permission to re-blog, reprint, or quote large portions of posts. Thank you!
From the past 30 days...}

我要回帖

更多关于 be sent to 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信