Do not humble love a person, this will是情态动词吗 only let

God does not love that which is already in itself worthy of love, but on the contrary, that which in itself has no worth acquires worth just by becoming the object of God's love. ~
is a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes that ranges from interpersonal affection ("I love my mother") to pleasure ("I loved that meal"). It can refer to an emotion of a strong attraction and personal attachment. It can also be a virtue representing human kindness, compassion, and affection—"the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another". It may also describe compassionate and affectionate actions towards other humans, one's self or animals.
Arranged alphabetically by author or source: ·
Love is the expansion of two natures in such fashion that each includes the other, each is enriched by the other.
Love is an echo in the feelings of a unity subsisting between two persons which is founded both on likeness and on complementary differences. ~
thing you'll ever
is just to love and be loved in return. ~
Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy. ~
Love is the principal
What love will make you do
All the things that we
Be the things that we regret ~
Once for all, then, a short precept is given thee: Love, and do what thou wilt... ~
Let the root of love be within, of this root can nothing spring but what is good. ~
Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul. ~
Choose to love whomsoever thou wilt: all else will follow. ~
Love flowers best in openness and freedom.
(1968), "Cliffrose and Bayonets", p. 26Love can defeat that nameless terror. Loving one another, we take the sting from death. Loving our mysterious blue planet, we resolve riddles and dissolve all enigmas in contingent bliss.
(1982)“Love,” Asa said, “is like a pigeon shitting over a crowd.”“How so?”“Where it lands hasn’t got much to do with who deserves it.”
, The Meaning of Love, in
(2014), p. 397Well, when you think you love somebody, you love them. That's what love is. Thoughts…
(played by ), , There is, in the human Breast, a social Affection, which extends to our whole Species.
(19 October 1775).The Encyclopedia Galactica, in its chapter on Love states that it is far too complicated to define. The
has this to say on the subject of love: "Avoid, if at all possible."
(2005), film based on the novel by Mysterious love, uncertain treasure,
Hast thou more of pain or pleasure!
Endless torments dwell about thee:
Yet who would live, and live without thee!
, Rosamond (c. 1707), Act III, scene 2When love's well-timed 'tis
The strong, the brave, the virtuous, and the wise,
Sink in the soft captivity together.
, Cato, A Tragedy (1713), Act III, scene 1When love once pleads admission to our hearts,
(In spite of all the virtue we can boast),
The woman that deliberates is lost.
, Cato, A Tragedy (1713), Act IV, scene 1Love is the expansion of two natures in such fashion that each includes the other, each is enriched by the other.
Love is an echo in the feelings of a unity subsisting between two persons which is founded both on likeness and on complementary differences. Without the likeness there wo without the challenge of the complementary differences there could not be the closer interweaving and the inextinguishable mutual interest which is the characteristic of all deeper relationships.
, Life and Destiny (1913), Section 5: Love and MarriageThe greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
, "" (1948)Love is a great beautifier.
(1868), chapter 24: GossipLove is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy.
(1868), chapter 40: The Valley Of The Shadow“There is much to be known,” said Adaon, “and above all much to be loved, be it the turn of the seasons or the shape of a river pebble. Indeed, the more we find to love, the more we add to the measure of our hearts.”
(), Book II:
(1965), Chapter 3Is there not glory enough in living the days given to us? You should know there is adventure in simply being among those we love and the things we love, and beauty, too.
(), Book II:
(1965), Chapter 8Love is the answer, but while you're waiting for the question, sex raises some pretty interesting questions.
, reported in James Robert Parish, The Hollywood Book of Love, (2003), p. 35
to be loved without
not because they are , or good, or well-bred, or graceful, or , but because they are themselves.
, , Dorothy Valcarcel, p. 17.Who sings of all of Love's
Who shines so bright
In all the songs of Love's unending spells?
strikes all that's evil
Teaching us to love for goodness sake.
Hear the music of Love Eternal
Teaching us to reach for goodness sake.
, in "Loved by the Sun", from movie
(1985) We, unaccustomed to courage
exiles from delight
live coiled in shells of loneliness
until love leaves its high holy temple
and comes into our sight
to liberate us into life.
, A Brave and Startling Truth (1995)If we are bold, love strikes away the chains of fear from our souls.
, A Brave and Startling Truth (1995)Love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.
A Brave and Startling Truth.
, A Brave and Startling Truth (1995)Σχ?τλι? ?ρω?, μ?γα π?μα, μ?γα στ?γο? ?νθρ?ποισιν,?κ σ?θεν ο?λ?μενα? τ? ?ριδε? στοναχα? τε γ?οι τε,?λγε? τ? ?λλ? ?π? το?σιν ?πε?ρονα τετρ?χασιν.
Unconscionable Love, bane and tormentor of mankind, parent of strife, fountain of tears, source of a thousand ills.
, Argonautica (3rd century BC), Book IV, lines 445–447 (tr. E. V. Rieu)Whatever we do or suffer for a friend is pleasant, because love is the principal cause of pleasure.
(), I-II, q. 32, art. 6To love is to will the good of the other.
(), II-II, q. 26, art. 6?lomban és szerelemben nincs lehetetlenség.
In dreams and in love there are no impossibilities.
, as quoted in Dictionary of Quotations from Ancient and Modern, English and Foreign Sources (1893) by James Wood, p. 11Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.
Attributed to
in Richard Alan Krieger, Civilization's Quotations: Life's Ideal (2002), p. 47, misquoting earlier reports of the quote which used "friendship" rather than "love".Remember that time slurs over everything, let all deeds fade, blurs all writings and kills all memories. Exempt are only those which dig into the hearts of men by love.
, Free Translation from the French version of a letter named "The Letter of Aristotle to Alexander on the Policy toward the Cities". Basis for translation: Lettre d’Aristote à Alexandre sur la politique envers les cités, Arabic text edition and translated/edited by Józef Bielawski and Marian Plezia (Warsaw: Polish Academy of Sciences, 1970), page 72All our young lives we search for someone to love. Someone who makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope. All the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, there's someone perfect who might be searching for us.
Kevin Arnold (played by Daniel Stern) narrating in
(1988)Alas! is even love too weak
To unlock the heart, and let it speak?
Are even lovers powerless to reveal
To one another what indeed they feel?
I knew the mass of men conceal'd
Their thoughts, for fear that if reveal'd
They would by other men be met
With blank indifference, or
I knew they lived and moved
Trick'd in disguises, alien to the rest
Of men, and alien to themselves — and yet
The same heart beats in every human breast!
, "" (1852), st. 2Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace,
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.
, Dover Beach (1867), St. 4Greatness is a spiritual condition worthy to excite love, interest, and the outward proof of possessing greatness is that we excite love, interest, and admiration.
, Culture and Anarchy (1869), Ch. I, Sweetness and Light What love will make you do
All the things that we accept
Be the things that we regret
(January 29, 2002) from the April 2, 2002 album The Eskimo has fifty-two names for
because it
there ought to be as many for love.
(1972) p. 107
Variant: The Eskimos had 52 names for snow because it w there ought to be as many for love.Hunger allows no choice
We must love one another or die.
(1939) Lines 78-88; for a 1955 anthology text the poet changed this line to "We must love one another and die" to avoid what he regarded as a falsehood in the original.Among those whom I like or admire, I can find no common denominator, but among those whom I love, I can: all of them make me laugh.
, The Dyer's Hand, and other essays? (1962), p. 372It is love that asks, that seeks, that knocks, that finds, and that is faithful to what it finds.
, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 392Once for all, then, a short precept is given thee: Love, and do what thou wilt: whether thou hold thy peace, through whether thou cry out,
whether thou correct,
whether thou spare, through love do thou spare: let the root of love be within, of this root can nothing spring but what is good.
, In epistulam Ioannis ad Parthos, Tractatus VII, 8 ()
Latin: "dilige et quod vis fac."; falsely often: "ama et fac quod vis."
Translation by Professor Joseph Fletcher: Love and then what you will, do.What does love look like? It has the
others. It has the feet to hasten to the
and needy. It has
to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and
of men. That is what love looks like.
, as quoted in Quote, Unquote (1977) by Lloyd Cory, p. 197What sort of countenance does love have? What sort of shape does it have? What sort of height does it have? What sort of feet does it have? What sort of hands does it have? No one can say. Yet it has feet, for they lead to the Church. It has hands, for they stretch out to the poor person. It has eyes, for that is how he is in need is understood: Blessed, it says, is he who understands.
, Homilies on the First Epistle of John, Trans. Boniface Ramsey, Works of St. Augustine, Part III, Vol. 14 (Hyde Park, NY: New City Press, 2008), Homily 7, Para 10, p. 111.Quantum in te crescit amor, tantum quia ipsa charitas est animae pulchritudo.
grows in you to the extent that love grows, because
itself is the 's beauty.
in Homilies on the First Epistle of John Ninth Homily, §9, as translated by Boniface Ramsey (2008) Augustinian Heritage Institute
Variant translations:
Inasmuch as love grows in you, in
for love is itself the beauty of the soul.
Ten Homilies on the First Epistle of John (1995), The Nicene and Post Nicene Fathers, Ninth Homily, §9, as translated by H. Browne and J. H. Meyers
Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.
As translated in The Little Book of Bathroom Philosophy : Daily Wisdom from the Greatest Thinkers (2004) by Gregory Bergman, p. 50.
Nondum amabam, et amare amabam...quaerebam quid amarem, amans amare.
I was not yet in , yet I loved to love...I sought what I might love, in love with loving.
(c. 397), III, 1Sero te amavi, pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova, sero te amavi! et ecce intus eras et ego foris, et ibi te quaerebam.
Late have I loved you, O
ever ancient and ever new! Late have I loved you! And, behold, you were within me, and I out of myself, and there I searched for you.
(c. 397), X, 27, as translated in Theology and Discovery: Essays in honor of Karl Rahner, S.J. (1980) edited by William J. Kelly
Variant translations:
So late I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient and ever new! So late I loved you!
The Ethics of Modernism: Moral Ideas in Yeats, Eliot, Joyce, Woolf, and Beckett? (2007), by Lee Oser, p. 29
Too late I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient and ever new! Too late I loved you! And, behold, you were within me, and I out of myself, and there I searched for you.
Introduction to a Philosophy of Religion (1970) by Alice Von HildebrandLove all men, love them, not because they are your brothers, but that they may become your brothers. Thus you will ever burn with fraternal love, both for him who is already your brother and for your enemy, that he may by loving become your brother.
in On the Mystical Body of Christ, p. 436. From The Whole Christ: The Historical Development of the Doctrine of the Mystical Body in Scripture and Tradition, , Fr. Emile Mersch, S. J., (), John R. Kelly, S.J., tr., London, Dennis Dobson LTD.Choose to love whomsoever thou wilt: all else will follow. Thou mayest say, "I love only God, God the Father." Wrong! If Thou lovest Him, thou dost not love H but if thou lovest the Father, thou lovest also the Son. Or thou mayest say, "I love the Father and I love the Son, God the Father and God the Son, our Lord Jesus Christ who ascended into heaven and sitteth at the right hand of the Father, the Word by whom all things were made, the Word who was made flesh
only these do I love." Wrong again! If thou lovest the Head, thou lov if thou lovest not the members, neither dost thou love the Head.
in On the Mystical Body of Christ, p. 438. From The Whole Christ: The Historical Development of the Doctrine of the Mystical Body in Scripture and Tradition, , Fr. Emile Mersch, S. J., (), John R. Kelly, S.J., tr., London, Dennis Dobson LTD.We cannot help loving what is beautiful.
, On Music (387–391), VI, 13Only the beautiful is loved.
, Confessions (c. 397), IV, 13Jim Luther Davis: Love' only true measure of it... Yeah, that's love.
Harsh Times (2005), written by David Ayer
If the learned and worldly-wise men of this age were to allow
to inhale the fragrance of fellowship and love, every
heart would apprehend the meaning of true , and discover the secret of undisturbed
and absolute composure. ~
Those who love their neighbor as themselves possess nothing more than their neighbor. ~
shine forth, only in truth can charity be authentically lived. Truth is the light that gives meaning and value to charity. That light is both the light of reason and the light of faith, through which the intellect attains to the natural and supernatural truth of charity: it grasps its meaning as gift, acceptance, and communion. Without truth, charity degenerates into sentimentality. Love becomes an empty shell, to be filled in an arbitrary way. ~
Love is not greedy or self-seeking, but pure, faithful and genuinely free, open to others, respectful of their dignity, seeking their good, radiating joy and beauty. ~
makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully. ~
A life of love is one of continual , where the
and windows of
are always open to the
that life offers. To love is to risk living fully. ~
Just as a mother with her own life
Protects her child, her only child, from harm,
So within yourself let grow
A boundless love for all creatures. ~
Let us, cautious in
And mighty in ,
Hatred has never stopped hatred. Only love stops hate. This is the eternal law. ~
Let your love flow outward through the universe,
To its height, its depth, its broad extent,
A limitless love, without hatred or enmity.[...] Strive for this with a one-
Your life will bring heaven to earth. ~
To love is to
not being loved in return. ~
What am I singing?
A song of seeds
The food of love.
Eat the music. ~
We used to say
"Ah Hell, we're young"
But now we see that life is sad
And so is love. ~
Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell’s despair. ~
It is love that alone gives life, and the truest life is that which we live not in ourselves but vicariously in others, and with which we have no concern. ~
To live is like to love — all reason is against it, and all healthy instinct for it. ~
At the center of religion is love. I love you and I forgive you. I am like you and you are like me. I love all people. I love the world. I love creating. Everything in our life should be based on love. ~
If everything is imperfect in this imperfect world, love is most perfect in its perfect imperfection. ~
We can recognize the dawn and the decline of love by the uneasiness we feel when alone together. ~
Yes, Love indeed
A spark of that immortal fire
With angels shared, by Allah given
To lift from earth our low desire. ~
The falling out of lovers is the renewing of love. ~
is he who expects no happiness from others. Love delights and glorifies in giving, not receiving. So learn to love and give, and not to expect anything from others.
, Meher Prabhu: Lord Meher, The Biography of the Avatar of the Age, Meher Baba (1986) by Bhau Kalchuri, 7:2457The opposite of , it's not togetherness. It is intimacy.
, The Bridge Across Forever: A Lovestory (1989), p. 184If the learned and worldly-wise men of this age were to allow mankind to inhale the fragrance of fellowship and love, every understanding heart would apprehend the meaning of true liberty, and discover the secret of undisturbed peace and absolute composure.
(Tablet of Maqsúd)It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.
, Gleanings from the Writings of Bahá'u'lláh, p. 250Ask not of me, love, what is love?
Ask what is good of G
Ask of the gre
Ask what is d
Ask sin of
Ask what is
Ask what i
Ask what is f
Ask what is s
Ask of thyself what beauty is.
, Festus (1813), scene A Party and EntertainmentCould I love less, I should be happier now.
, Festus (1813), scene Garden and Bower by the SeaI cannot love as I have loved,
It is the one great woe of life
To feel all feeling die.
, Festus (1813), scene A Party and EntertainmentLove spends his all, and still hath store.
, Festus (1813), scene A Party and EntertainmentThe sweetest joy, the wildest woe is love.
, Festus (1813), scene Alcove and Garden?στε ? ?γαπ?ν τ?ν πλησ?ον ?? ?αυτ?ν ο?δ?ν περισσ?τερον κ?κτηται το? πλησ?ον·
Those who love their neighbor as themselves possess nothing more than their neighbor.
, Homily to the Rich (c. 368), in Saint Basil on Social Justice, edited and translated by C. P. Schroeder (2009), p. 43?λλ? μ?ν φα?ν? ?χων κτ?ματα πολλ?. Π?θεν τα?τα; ? δ?λον ?τι τ?ν ο?κε?αν ?π?λαυσιν προτι μοτ?ραν τ?? τ?ν πολλ?ν παραμυθ?α? ποιο?μενο?. ?σον ο?ν πλεον?ζει? τ? πλο?τ?, τοσο?τον ?λλε?πει? τ? ?γ?π?.
You seem to have great possessions! How else can this be, but that you have preferred your own enjoyment to the consolation of the many? For the more you abound in wealth, the more you lack in love.
, Homily to the Rich (c. 368), in Saint Basil on Social Justice, edited and translated by C. P. Schroeder (2009), p. 43If you say, I love you, then you have already fallen in love with language, which is already a form of break up and infidelity.
, Cool memories? (1990), p. 153Bright are the stars that shine
Dark is the sky
I know this love of mine
Will never die
And I love her
(1964)from the 1964 album One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, , indignation and .
, As quoted in Successful Aging : A Conference Report (1974) by Eric Pfeiffer, p. 142Love — caritas — is an extraordinary force which leads people to opt for courageous and generous engagement in the field of justice and peace. It is a force that has its origin in God, Eternal Love and Absolute Truth. Each person finds his good by adherence to God's plan for him, in order to realize it fully: in this plan, he finds his truth, and through adherence to this truth he becomes free (cf. Jn 8:32). To defend the truth, to articulate it with humility and conviction, and to bear witness to it in life are therefore exacting and indispensable forms of charity. Charity, in fact, “rejoices in the truth” (1 Cor 13:6).
, in Encyclical Letter
(29 June 2009)Only in truth does charity shine forth, only in truth can charity be authentically lived. Truth is the light that gives meaning and value to charity. That light is both the light of reason and the light of faith, through which the intellect attains to the natural and supernatural truth of charity: it grasps its meaning as gift, acceptance, and communion. Without truth, charity degenerates into sentimentality. Love becomes an empty shell, to be filled in an arbitrary way. In a culture without truth, this is the fatal risk facing love. It falls prey to contingent subjective emotions and opinions, the word “love” is abused and distorted, to the point where it comes to mean the opposite. Truth frees charity from the constraints of an emotionalism that deprives it of relational and social content, and of a fideism that deprives it of human and universal breathing-space.
, in Encyclical Letter
(29 June 2009)Nature expresses a design of love and truth.
, in Encyclical Letter
(29 June 2009)Authentic love is obviously something good. When we love we become most fully human. But people often consider themselves loving when actually they are possessive or manipulative. People sometimes treat others as objects to satisfy their own needs. How easy it is to be deceived by the many voices in our society that advocate a permissive approach to sexuality, without regard for modesty, self-respect or the moral values that bring quality into human relationships! This is wo instead of bringing life, it brings death.
, Disadvantaged Youth (18 July 2007) at World Youth Day 2008 in AustraliaLove has a particular trait: it has a task or purpose to fulfill - to abide. By its nature, love is enduring. The Holy Spirit offers our world love that love that overcomes
love that car the true love that draws us into a unity that abides!
, Youth Day Vigil (19 July 2007) at World Youth Day 2008 in AustraliaDear young people, we have seen that it is the Holy Spirit who brings about the wonderful communion of believers in Jesus Christ. True to his nature as giver and gift alike, he is even now working through you. Let unifying
abiding self-giving love your mission!
, Youth Day Vigil (19 July 2007) at World Youth Day 2008 in AustraliaA new generation of Christians is being called to help build a world in which God's gift of life is welcomed, respected and cherished-not rejected, feared as a threat and destroyed. A new age in which love is not greedy or self-seeking, but pure, faithful and genuinely free, open to others, respectful of their dignity, seeking their good, radiating joy and beauty - a new age in which hope liberates us from the shallowness, apathy and self-absorption that deaden our souls and poison our relationships.
, Closing Mass (19 July 2007) at World Youth Day 2008 in AustraliaProfessional standards, the standards of ambition and selfishness, are always sliding downward toward expense, ostentation, and mediocrity. They tend always to narrow the ground of judgment. But amateur standards, the standards of love, are always straining upward toward the humble and the best. They enlarge the ground of judgment. The context of love is the world.
, What Are People For? (1990), chapter The Responsibility of the PoetI believe that the world was created and approved by love, that it subsists, coheres, and endures by love, and that, insofar as it is redeemable, it can be redeemed only by love.
, Another Turn of the Crank (1996), chapter Health is MembershipWe know enough of our own history by now to be aware that people exploit what they have merely concluded to be of value, but they defend what they love. To defend what we love we need a particularizing language, for we love what we particularly know.
, Life Is A Miracle : An Essay Against Modern Superstition (2000)Love: A temporary insanity curable by marriage or by the removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder. This disease, like caries and many other ailments, is prevalent only among civilized races living under a barbarous nations breathing pure air and eating simple food enjoy immunity from its ravages. It is sometimes fatal, but more frequently to the physician than to the patient.
in Love seeketh not itself to please,
Nor for itself hath any care,
But for another gives its ease,
And builds a heaven in hell’s despair.
, The Clod and the Pebble, st. 1 in:
(1794)Man, you got to have love just to set it straight
Take control of your mind and meditate
Let your soul gravitate to the love y'all
(2003)If you never know truth then you never know love.
(2003)The mightiest love was granted him
Love that does not expect to be loved.
in "Baruch Spinoza", as translated in Spinoza and Other Heretics: The Marrano of Reason (1989) by Yirmiyahu YovelBeing with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time.
, "The Threatened", The Book of Sand [El Libro de arena] (1975)There is only one thing infamous in love, and that is a falsehood.
, Cosmopolis (1892), Ch. 5 "Countess Steno"There is no such thing as an age for love … because the man capable of loving — in the complex and modern sense of love as a sort of ideal exaltation — never ceases to love.
, The Age for Love (Whether or not the interview with Pierre Fauchery by "Jules Labarthe" in this short story represents an actual one by Bourget is not known.) I have been thinking about our conversation and about your book, and I am afraid that I expressed myself badly yesterday. When I said that one may love and be loved at any age I ought to have added that sometimes this love comes too late. It comes when one no longer has the right to prove to the loved one how much she is loved, except by love's sacrifice.
Pierre Fauchery, as quoted by the character "Jules Labarthe"
, The Age for Love (Whether or not the interview with Pierre Fauchery by "Jules Labarthe" in this short story represents an actual one by Bourget is not known.) We have common cause against the night... Why love the woman who is your wife? Her nose breathes the air of a world that I therefore I love that nose. Her ears hear the music I might sing ha therefore I love her ears. Her eyes delight in and so I love those eyes. Her tongue knows quince, peach, chokecherry, I love to hear it speaking. Because her flesh knows heat, cold, affliction, I know fire, snow, and pain... We love what we know, we love what we are. Common cause, common cause, common cause of mouth, eye, ear, tongue, hand, nose, flesh, heart, and soul.
(1962), p. 145At the center of religion is love. I love you and I forgive you. I am like you and you are like me. I love all people. I love the world. I love creating. Everything in our life should be based on love.
, as quoted in , p. 1In that film Love Story, there’s a line, “Love means never having to say you’re sorry.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard. Love means saying you’re sorry every day for some little thing or other.
The Art of Fiction No. 203, ; Spring, 2010If you want to know what love is, have a . If you want to know what pain is, bury him.
in I love hiccups and I love sneezes and I love blinks and I love belches and I love gluttons. I love hair. I love bears. For me, the round. For me, the world.
in "Empire of Dreams" (1988)War is like love, it always finds a way.
(1939), The Chaplain, in Scene 6, p. 76Duty makes us do things well, but love makes us do them beautifully.
, as quoted in Primary Education (1916) by Elizabeth Peabody, p. 190There is musick, even in the beauty and the silent note which Cupid strikes, far sweeter than the sound of an instrument.
Sir , Religio Medici (1642), Part II, Section IXIf thou must love me, let it be for nought
Except for love's sake only. Do not say
"I love her for her smile — her look — her way
Of speaking gently, — for a trick of thought
That falls in well with mine, and certes brought
A sense of pleasant ease on such a day" —
For these things in themselves, Beloved, may
Be changed, or change for thee, — and love, so wrought,
May be unwrought so. Neither love me for
Thine own dear pity's wiping my cheeks dry, —
A creature might forget to weep, who fbore
Thy comfort long, and lose thy love thereby!
But love me for love's sake, that evermore
Thou may'st love on, through love's eternity.
, , No. XIVHow do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for R
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! —and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.
, Sonnets from the Portuguese, No. XLIIIWhoever lives true life, will love true love.
, Aurora Leigh (1856), Book I, line 1,096I would not be a rose upon the wall
A queen might stop at, near the palace-door,
To say to a courtier, "Pluck that rose for me,
It's prettier than the rest." O Romney Leigh!
I'd rather far be trodden by his foot,
Than lie in a great queen's bosom.
, Aurora Leigh (1856), Book IVBut I love you, sir:
And when a woman says she loves a man,
The man must hear her, though he love her not.
, Aurora Leigh (1856), Book IXThe game of love is whatever you make it to be.
, "The Game of Love" (September 2002), by Santana, ShamanFor life, with all it yields of joy and woe,
And hope and fear (believe the aged friend),
Is just our chance o' the prize of learning love,—
How love might be, hath been indeed, and is.
, A Death in the Desert (1864)Le temps, qui fortifie les amitiés, affaiblit l'amour.
Time, which strengthens friendship, weakens love.
, Du Coeur, ["Of the Heart" also translated as "Of the Affections"], Aphorism 4L'amour qui na?t subitement est le plus long à guérir.
Sudden love takes the longest time to be cured.
, Du Coeur, ["Of the Heart" also translated as "Of the Affections"], Aphorism 13Le commencement et le déclin de l'amour se font sentir par l'embarras où l'on est de se trouver seuls.
We can recognize the dawn and the decline of love by the uneasiness we feel when alone together.
, Du Coeur, ["Of the Heart" also translated as "Of the Affections"], Aphorism 33L'on veut faire tout le bonheur, ou si cela ne se peut ainsi, tout le malheur de ce qu'on aime.
One seeks to make the loved one entirely happy, or, if that cannot be, entirely wretched.
, Du Coeur, ["Of the Heart" also translated as "Of the Affections"], Aphorism 39Regretter ce que l'on aime est un bien, en comparaison de vivre avec ce que l'on hait.
Grief at the absence of a loved one is happiness compared to life with a person one hates.
, Du Coeur, ["Of the Heart" also translated as "Of the Affections"], Aphorism 40Loveliest of lovely things are they,
On earth, that soonest pass away.
The rose that lives its little hour
Is prized beyond the sculptured flower.
, , st. 3 (1828)Every
I shall concern myself anew about the boundary
Between the --Yes and the -deed-No
And pressing forward
.We cannot avoid
Using power,
Cannot escape the compulsion
To afflict the ,
So let us, cautious in
Love powerfully.
, in "Power and Love" (1926)Hatred has never stopped hatred. Only love stops hate. This is the eternal law.
, Just as a mother with her own life
Protects her child, her only child, from harm,
So within yourself let grow
A boundless love for all creatures.Let your love flow outward through the universe,
To its height, its depth, its broad extent,
A limitless love, without hatred or enmity.Then as you stand or walk,
Sit or lie down,
As long as you are awake,
Strive for this with a one-
Your life will bring heaven to earth.
Buddha Discourse on Goodwill, From the , part of the Sutta Nipata, a collection of dialogues with the
said to be among the oldest parts of the Pali
canonSome prices are just too high, no matter how much you may want the prize. The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart.
(1996) is the greatest advantage a parent can give.
, as quoted in Love. What is it? Most natural painkiller what there is. LOVE.
, Last Words: The Final Journals of William S. Burroughs (2000)And this is that Homer's golden chain, which reacheth down from heaven to earth, by which every creature is annexed, and depends on his Creator.
, The Anatomy of Melancholy (1621), Part III, Section 1. Memb. 1. Subsec. 7No cord nor cable can so forcibly draw, or hold so fast, as love can do with a twined thread.
, The Anatomy of Melancholy (1621), Part III, Section 2. Memb. 1. Subsec. 2The falling out of lovers is the renewing of love.
, The Anatomy of Melancholy (1621), Part III, Section 2. Terence—Andria, III. 23To
not being loved in return. To
is to risk . To try is to risk , but risks must be taken, because the greatest hazard in
is to risk .
, Living, Loving, and Learning
(1985)A life of love is one of continual , where the
and windows of
are always open to the
that life offers. To love is to risk living fully.
, in We needed you
To love us too.
We wait for your move.
(1982), All The LoveOnly tragedy allows the release
Of love and grief never normally seen.
I didn't want to let them see me weep,
I didn't want to let them see me weak,
But I know I have shown
That I stand at the gates alone.
(1982), All The LoveI needed you
To love me too.
I wait for your move.
(1982), All The LoveAll the love, all the love,
All the love we should have given.
All the love, all the love,
All the love you could have given.
All the love...
(1982), All The LoveDo you know what I really need?
I need love love love love love, yeah!
(1985), Hounds of LoveThe light
Begin to bleed,
Begin to breathe,
Begin to speak.
D'you know what?
I love you better now.
(1985), side two of the album called The Ninth Wave, song The Morning FogWe let it in
We give it out
And in the end
What's it all about?
It must be love.
(1993), We used to say
"Ah Hell, we're young"
But now we see that life is sad
And so is love.
(1993), What am I singing?
A song of seeds
The food of love.
Eat the music.
(1993), Excuse me I'm sorry to bother you,
But don't I know you?
There's just something about you.
Haven't we met before?We've been in love forever.
(2011), Snowed In at Wheeler StreetThere's someone who's loved you forever but you don't know it.
You might feel it and just not show it.
(2011), Among Angels* I love my
Beloved, ooh,
All and everywhere,
Only the fools blew it.
You and me
Knew life itself is
Breathing...
(1980), BreathingIt is love that alone gives life, and the truest life is that which we live not in ourselves but vicariously in others, and with which we have no concern. Our concern is so to order ourselves that we may be of the number of them that enter into life — although we know it not.
, Ramblings In Cheapside (1890), First published in Universal Review (December 1890)To live is like to love — all reason is against it, and all healthy instinct for it.
(1912), Part XIV - Higgledy-Piggledy, Life and LoveA pair of lovers are like sunset and sunrise: there are such things every day but we very seldom see them., Chapter 11.
(1903)Love in your hearts as idly burns
As fire in antique Roman urns.
, Hudibras, Part II (1664), Canto ILove is a boy by poets styl'd:
Then spare the rod and spoil the child.
, Hudibras, Part II (1664), Canto I, line 843What mad lover ever dy'd,
To gain a soft and gentle bride?
Or for a lady tender-hearted,
In purling streams or hemp departed?
, Hudibras, Part III (1678), Canto IOh Love! young Love! bound in thy rosy band,
Let sage or cynic prattle as he will,
These hours, and only these, redeem Life's years of ill.
, , Canto II (1812), Stanza 81The cold in clime are cold in blood,
Their love can scarce deserve the name.
, The Giaour (1813), line 1,099Yes, Love indeed
A spark of that immortal fire
With angels shared, by Allah given
To lift from earth our low desire.
, The Giaour (1813), line 1,131Why did she love him? Curious fool!—be still—
Is human love the growth of human will?
, Lara, A Tale (1814), Canto II, Stanza 22And to his eye
There was but one beloved face on earth,
And that was shining on him.
, The Dream (1816), Stanza 2She knew she was by him beloved,—she knew
For quickly comes such knowledge, that his heart
Was darken'd with her shadow.
, The Dream (1816), Stanza 3Who loves, raves—'tis youth's frenzy—but the cure
Is bitterer still.
, , Canto IV (1818), Stanza 123O! that the Desert were my dwelling place,
With one fair Spirit for my minister,
That I might all forget the human race,
And, hating no one, love but only her!
, , Canto IV (1818), Stanza 177Man's love is of man's life a thing apart,
'Tis woman's whole existence: man may range
The court, camp, church, the vessel, and the mart,
Sword, gown, gain, glory, offer in exchange
Pride, fame, ambition, to fill up his heart,
And few there are whom t
Men have all these resources, we but one,
To love again, and be again undone.
(1818-24), Canto I, Stanza 194Alas! the love of women! it is known
To be a lovely and a fearful thing.
(1818-24), Canto II, Stanza 199In her first passion w
In all the others, all she loves is love.
(1818-24), Canto III, Stanza 3. La Rochefoucauld. Maxims. No. 497All I have is my love of love and love is not loving.
(1972)"You are at the beginning of your life, perhaps you will have many loves, but if you are fortunate, you will have only one love."
, , version 1.03"If everything is imperfect in this imperfect world, love is most perfect in its perfect imperfection."
For want of time and thought, people have to love one another without knowing it. ~
Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ "Celine" (played by ) in
If love means to possess someone or something, then that is not real love, not pure love. If loves means to give oneself, to become one with everything and everyone, then that is real love. Real love is total oneness with the object loved and with the Possessor of love. ~
Do not judge but love and be loved, if you want to be really happy. ~
Life is nothing but the expansion of love. ~
There's just this
That's built with this human fault.
What was your question?
Love is the answer. ~
came through the window,
Straight from the
And so inside my little room
There plunged the rays of Love. ~
I am not the one who loves —
It's love that chooses me. ~
Be loving, and you will be humble, and you will never want for guiding. -
, as they do sometimes, we must try , which is love in . -
Where there is the greatest love, there are always miracles. -
Love is the force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World.… It is we who nourish the Soul of the World, and the world we live in will be either better or worse, depending on whether we become better or worse. ~
We must never forget that spiritual experience is above all a practical experience of love. And with love, there are no rules. ~
The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us.
And to save us. ~
Love is the only thing that will save us, independent of any mistakes we may make. Love is always stronger. ~
Love simply is. … Love and don't ask too many questions. Just love. ~
In love, no one
we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel. [...] That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it. ~
Love ain't no walk in the park
All you can do is make the best of it now
Just know that you're not in this thing alone
There's always a place in me that you can call home. ~
All thoughts, all passions, all delights,
Whatever stirs this mortal frame,
All are but ministers of Love,
And feed his sacred flame. ~
In many ways doth the full heart reveal
The presence of the love it would conceal. ~
Love's for a lifetime not for a moment. -
Please believe me when I sayThis time I won't run awayI swear by all the heaven's stars aboveNow that I've found youI'm looking in the eyes of love. -
Love is the voice under all silences, the hope which has the strength so strong mere force is feebleness: the truth more first than sun, more last than star... ~
Love is the every only god. ~
the axis of the universe
Sad hours and glad hours, and all hours,
One thing unshaken stays:
, that hath
for spouse, hath C
Whereby decays
Each thing save one thing: — mid this strife diurnal
Of hourly change begot,
that is -born, bides as God ,
Nor means a tinseled dream pursuing lovers
Find altered by-and-bye,
When, with possession, time anon discovers
Trapped dreams must die, —
For he that visions God, of mankind gathers
One manlike trait alone,
And reverently imputes to Him a father's
Love for his son.
, The Certain Hour (1916), "To Robert Gamble Cabell II: In Dedication of The Certain Hour"What really matters is that there is so much faith and love and kindliness which we can share with and provoke in others, and that by cleanly, simple, generous living we approach perfection in the highest and most lovely of all arts. . . . But you, I think, have always comprehended this.
, The Certain Hour (1916), "Auctorial Induction"Love, I take it, must look toward something not quite accessible, something not quite understood.
(1917), Horvendile, in Ch. 2 : Introduces the Ageless WomanThere is no gift more great than love.
, The Silver Stallion (1926), Morvyth, in Book Two : The Mathematics of Gonfal, Ch. X : Relative to Gonfal's HeadOne can give without loving, but one cannot love without giving
A Chance to Die.The life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael, Elisabeth Elliot, Revell, 1987Love is the substance of all life. Everything is connected in love, absolutely everything.
, Blessings : Prayers and Declarations for a Heartful Life (1998)When I listen to love, I am listening to my true nature. When I express love, I am expressing my true nature. All of us love. All of us do it more and more perfectly. The past has brought us both ashes and diamonds. In the present we find the flowers of what we've planted and the seeds of what we are becoming. I plant the seeds of love in my heart. I plant the seeds of love in the hearts of others.
, Blessings : Prayers and Declarations for a Heartful Life (1998)The growth of one blesses all. I am commited to grow in love. All that I touch, I leave in love. I move through this world consciously and creatively.
, Blessings : Prayers and Declarations for a Heartful Life (1998)Love is not love if it compelled by reason and driven by logic — love exists in spite of those things, not because of them. It is a
which needs no fuel to fire it
if you have to look for the why, it was never there at all.
, Blessings : Prayers and Declarations for a Heartful Life (1998)Amor é um fogo que arde sem se ver,? ferida que dói, e n?? um contentamento descontente,? dor que desatina sem doer.? um n?o querer? um andar solitá? nunca contentar-? um cuidar que ganha em se perder.? querer est? servir a quem vence,? ter com quem nos mata, lealdade.Mas como causar pode seu favorNos cora??es humanos amizade,Se t?o contrário a si é o mesmo Amor?
Love is a fire that burns,a wound that hurts, bua pleasure that starts a pain that’a pain that madd a serenedesire for nothing, but wishia lonely passa the resentmentof never being content with one’a caring that ga an obsesseddesire to be bound, for love,a capitulation to the one you’va devotion to your own assassin every single day.So how can Love conform, without fail,every captive human heart, if Love itselfis so contradictory in every possible way?
, , translated by William BaerNous nous trompons toujours deux fois sur ceux que nous aimons: d`abord à leur avantage, puis à leur désavantage.
We always deceive ourselves twice about the people we love — first to their advantage, then to their disadvantage.
, quoted in
edited by Connie Robertson, "Camus, Albert ", p. 73There is not love of life without despair about life.
, Preface, Lyrical and Critical Essays (1970)There can be no true goodness, nor true love, without the utmost clear-sightedness.
(1947)* In Oran, as elsewhere, for want of time and thought, people have to love one another without knowing it.
(1947)The opposite of an idealist is too often a man without love.
(1971)That's love too. It ain't sex, and maybe that's too bad, but you know, Cindy, when a man and a woman care for each other, that doesn't always mean they have to sleep together or live together.
(1998)For love is ever the beginning of , as fire is of light.
, Essays, Death of Goethe. Quote reported in Hoyt's New Cyclopedia Of Practical Quotations (1922), p. 419-23One can give without loving, but one cannot love without giving
, A Chance to Die.The life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael, Elisabeth Elliot, Revell, 1987.Give me the love that leads the way, The faith that nothing can dismay, The hope no disappointments tire, The passion that Let me not sink to be a clod: Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God
, from The Collected Poems of Amy Carmichael, CLC, Fort Washington, USA 1999, .True love is not the helpless desire to possess the cherished object of one' true love is the disciplined generosity we require of ourselves for the sake of another when we wou that, at least, is how I have taught myself to love my wife.
Ch. 17, The Brass Ring, IV (2002)Where there is the greatest love, there are always miracles.
(1927), Book I, Ch. 4I have often had occasion to observe, that a warm blundering man does more for the world than a frigid wise man.
, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 394Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?
"Celine" (played by ), in
(1995)“Love the others and you will be loved!” is a saying that might sound as a terrible and unjust
against all the
that have been
and perhaps even
in: Brian Morris, Simply Transcribed. Quotations from Writings by Fausto Cercignani, 2014, quote 58There's no love lost between us.
, Don Quixote (1605-15), Book IV, Chapter 13. Also used by , Grub Street, Act I, scene 4; , Correspondence (1759); , She Stoops to Conquer (1771), Act IV. , Every Man Out of His Humour, Act II, scene 1. , Gil Blas (), Book IX, Chapter VII, as translated by Each one gave the other the only assistance one man can expect from another: that his friend support him and ask only that he remain himself. It is no great accomplishment to take people as they are, and we must always do so eventually, but to wish them to be as they are, that is a genuine love.
, Alain On Happiness (1973), PoetsThe Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also probably because they are generally the same people.
, Illustrated London News (16 July 1910)Try not to change the world. You will fail. Try to love the world. Lo, the world is changed. Changed forever.
, Meditations: Food For The Soul (1970), August 31What is love? From the spiritual and inner point of view, love is self-expansion. Human love binds and is bound. Divine Love expands, enlarges itself.
, My Rose Petals (1971)First of all, let us try to know what love is. If love means to possess someone or something, then that is not real love, not pure love. If loves means to give oneself, to become one with everything and everyone, then that is real love. Real love is total oneness with the object loved and with the Possessor of love.
, Rainbow-Flowers (1973)Where love is thick, faults are thin. If you really love someone, then it is difficult to find fault with him. His faults seem negligible, for love means oneness.
, Fifty Freedom-Boats To One Golden Shore (1974), Citation- ffb-132, Part 4Love the world. Otherwise, you will be forced to carry the heaviest load: your own bitter self.
, Ten Thousand Flower Flames Part 1-100 (1979), #1908, Part 20Hatred is a disguised form of love. You can only hate someone whom you really wish to love, because if you were totally indifferent to that person, you could not even get up enough energy to hate him.
, The Wings of Joy (1997)If you really want to love humanity, then you have to love humanity as it is now.
, The Wings of Joy (1997)Life is nothing but the expansion of love. We can cultivate divine love by entering into the Source. The Source is God, who is all Love.
, The Wings of Joy (1997)Man is by nature a lover. Only he has yet to discover the real thing to love. This quest awakens him to the fulfillment of his real Self.
, The Wings of Joy (1997)Is the world so unbearable? No! What we need is only a little more love for the world.
, Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series 1-50 (1998), #4386, Part 5Love is something that never cared to learn how to judge anybody.
, Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series 1-50 (1998),#7310, Part 8Instead of creating a reason why you cannot love the world, try to create a reason why you should and must love the world.
, Seventy Seven Thousand Service-Trees series 1-50 (1998), #14550, Part 15World-peace can be achieved when the power of love replaces the love of power.
, Words of Wisdom (2010)Do not judge but love and be loved, if you want to be really happy.
, Words of Wisdom (2010)Love is a special word, and I use it only when I mean it. You say the word too much and it becomes cheap.
, Brother Ray : Ray Charles' Own Story (1978) by Ray Charles and David Ritz, (2003 edition), For the Love of Women, p. 239"There have been women I have loved … A lot, as discreetly as possible."
, undated, quoted in
Christian Fraser, BBC News, 14 January 2014So mourn'd the dame of Ephesus her love.
, Richard III (1700), Act II; altered from ShakespeareWhat have I done? What horrid crime committed?
To me the worst of crimes—outliv'd my liking.
, Richard III (1700), Act III, scene 2; altered from ShakespeareThere are no ,
There are no
No amulets no charms,
To bring you back to my arms.
There's just this
That's built with this human fault.
What was your question?
Love is the answer.
, in "All My Stars Aligned" on
(2007)Years! Years, ye shall mix with me!
Ye shall grow a part
Of the laughing ;
Of the moaning
Of the glittered wave
Of the sun-gleam's dart
In the ocean-grave. Fair, cold, and faithless wert thou, my own!
For that I
From the heights above
To the depths below,
Where dread things move, There is naught can show
A life so trustless! Proud be thy crown!
Ruthless, like none, save the Sea, alone!
, "The Dirge of the Sea" (April 1891)And sometimes when I am weary,
When the path is thorny and Wild,
I'll look back to the Eyes in the twilight,
Back to the eyes that smiled.And pray that a wreath like a rainbow
May slip from the beautiful past,
And Crown me again with the sweet, strong love
And keep me, and hold me fast.
, And Thou Too (1888)The wise are wise only because they love.
, As quoted in Elders on Love: Dialogues on the Consciousness, Cultivation, and Expression of Love (1999) by Kenneth R. Lakritz and Thomas M. Knoblauch
Unsourced variant: The wise are wise only because they love. The fools are fools only because they think they can understand love.One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.
, , p. 128Love is the force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World. … It is we who nourish the Soul of the World, and the world we live in will be either better or worse, depending on whether we become better or worse. And that's where the power of love comes in. Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are.
(1988), p. 157We must never forget that spiritual experience is above all a practical experience of love. And with love, there are no rules.
As translated by Alan R. Clarke (1996)The gods throw the dice, and they don't ask whether we want to be in the game or not. They don't care if when you go, you leave behind a lover, a home, a career, or a dream. The gods don't care whether you have it all, whether it seems that your every desire can be met through hard work and persistence. The gods don't want to know about your plans and your hopes. Somewhere they're throwing the dice — and you are chosen. From then on, winning or losing is only a question of luck.
The gods throw the dice, freeing love from its cage. And love can create or destroy — depending on the direction of the wind when it is set free.
(1994)Lovers need to know how to lose themselves and then how to find themselves again.
(1994)There's nothing deeper than love. In fairy tales, the princesses kiss the frogs, and the frogs become princes. In real life, the princesses kiss princes, and the princes turn into frogs.
(1994)Love is always new. Regardless of whether we love once, twice, or a dozen times in our life, we always face a brand-new situation. Love can consign us to hell or to paradise, but it always takes us somewhere. We simply have to accept it, because it is what nourishes our existence. If we reject it, we die of hunger, because we lack the courage to reach out a hand and pluck the fruit from the branches of the tree of life. We have to take love where we find it, even if it means hours, days, weeks of disappointment and sadness.
The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us.
And to save us.
(1994)Even if loving meant leaving, or solitude, or sorrow, love was worth every penny of its price.
(1994)I am going to sit here with you by the river. If you go home to sleep, I will sleep in front of your house. And if you go away, I will follow you — until you tell me to go away. Then I'll leave. But I have to love you for the rest of my life.
Love is much like a dam: if you allow a tiny crack to form through which only a trickle of water can pass, that trickle will quickly bring down the whole structure, and soon no one will be able to control the force of the current. For when those walls come down, then love takes over, and it no longer matters what is po it doesn't even matter whether we can keep the loved one at our side. To love is to lose control.
(1994)When we meet someone and fall in love, we have a sense that the whole universe is on our side. And yet if something goes wrong, there is nothing left! How is it possible for the beauty that was there only minutes before to vanish so quickly? Life moves very fast. It rushes from heaven to hell in a matter of seconds.
(2003), page 9My aim is to understand love. I know how alive I felt when I was in love, and I know that everything I have now, however interesting it might seem, doesn't really excited me.
But love is a terrible thing: I've seen my girlfriends suffer and I don't want the same thing to happen to me. … Although my aim is to understand love, and although I suffer to think of people to whom I gave my heart, I see that those who touched my heart failed to arouse my body, and that those who aroused my body failed to touch my heart.
(2003), Maria's diary entry at the age of 17, p. 16In love, no one
we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel. It hurt when I lost each of the various men I fell in love with. Now, though, I am convinced that no one loses anyone, because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it.
(2003), p. 90Anyone who is in love is making love the whole time, even when they're not. When two bodies meet, it is just the cup overflowing. They can stay together for hours, even days. They begin the dance one day and finish it the next, or — such is the pleasure they experience — they may never finish it. No eleven minutes for them.
(2003), p. 164Love simply is. That is the testament of Athena or Sherine or Hagia Sofia — love is. No definitions. Love and don't ask too many questions. Just love.
(2007), p. 258The light of love flows out of my soul, but it can go nowhere because it’s blocked by pain. I could inhale and exhale every morning for the rest of my life, but that wouldn’t solve anything.
(2011)No one can learn to love by following a manual, and no one can learn to write by following a course. I’m not telling you to seek out other writers but to find people with different skills from yourself, because writing is no different from any other activity done with joy and enthusiasm.
(2011)Love is the only thing that will save us, independent of any mistakes we may make. Love is always stronger.
(2011)Love always triumphs over what we call death. That’s why there’s no need to grieve for our loved ones, because they continue to be loved and remain by our side.
(2011)I love you like a river that creates the right conditions for trees and bushes and flowers to flourish along its banks. I love you like a river that gives water to the thirsty and takes people where they want to go.
(2011)I love you like a river that understands that it must learn to flow differently over waterfalls and to rest in the shallows. I love you because we are all born in the same place, at the same source, which keeps us provided with a constant supply of water. And so, when we feel weak, all we have to do is wait a little. The spring returns, and the winter snows melt and fill us with new energy.
(2011)I love you like a river that begins as a solitary trickle in the mountains and gradually grows and joins other rivers until, after a certain point, it can flow around any obstacle in order to get where it wants.
(2011)I receive your love, and I give you mine. Not the love of a man for a woman, not the love of a father for a child, not the love of God for his creatures, but a love with no name and no explanation, like a river that cannot explain why it follows a particular course but simply flows onward. A love that asks for nothing and giv it is simply there. I will never be yours, and yo nevertheless, I can honestly say: I love you, I love you, I love you.
(2011)What is a saint? A saint is someone who has achieved a remote human possibility. It is impossible to say what that possibility is. I think it has something to do with the energy of love. Contact with this energy results in the exercise of a kind of balance in the chaos of existence. A saint does no if he did the world would have changed long ago. I do not think that a saint dissolves the chaos even for himself, for there is something arrogant and warlike in the notion of a man setting the universe in order. It is a kind of balance that is his glory. He rides the drifts like an escaped ski. His course is the caress of the hill. His track is a drawing of the snow in a moment of its particular arrangement with wind and rock. Something in him so loves the world that he gives himself to the laws of gravity and chance. Far from flying with the angels, he traces with the fidelity of a seismograph needle the state of the solid bloody landscape. His house is dangerous and finite, but he is at home in the world. He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love.
(1966)"You have loved enough, now let me be the lover." You could say that God is speaking to you or the cosmos, or your lover. It just means, like, Forget it. Lean back and be loved by all that is already loving you. It is your effort at love that is preventing you from experiencing it. It is like if you ever taught kids how to swim. The most difficult thing is Goddam to understand that they will float, if they relax, if they hold their breath and relax, they will actually float. For most kids it is difficult to swim. They feel they are going to sink like a stone to the bottom of the lake.
, On the lyrics to "You Have Loved Enough" in an interview released at the Ten New Songs site (2001)When they lay down beside me I made my confession to them.
They touched both my eyes and I touched the dew on their hem.
If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn,
They will bind you with love that is
and green as a stem.
(1967), Sisters of MercyI swept the marble chambers,
But you sent me down below.
You kept me from believing
Until you let me know:
That 'I am not the one who loves —
It's love that chooses me.
When hatred with his package comes,
You forbid delivery.
(2001), You Have Loved EnoughThe
came through the window,
Straight from the
And so inside my little room
There plunged the rays of . In streams of light I clearly saw
The dust you seldom see,
Out of which
for one like me.
(2001), "Love Itself"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love — and to put its trust in life!!
, Victory: An Island Tale, part IV, chap. 14Anything that's worth havin'
Sure enough worth fighting for
Quittin's out of the question
When it gets tough, gotta fight some more
[...] We gotta fight, fight, fight, fight, fight for this love If its woth having, it's worth fightin for
(2009)Now everyday ain't gonna be no picnic
Love ain't no walk in the park
All you can do is make the best of it now
Can't be afraid of the dark
Just know that you're not in this thing alone
There's always a place in me that you can call home.
(2009)All thoughts, all passions, all delights,
Whatever stirs this mortal frame,
All are but ministers of Love,
And feed his sacred flame.
, , st. 1 (1799)And in Life's noisiest hour,
There whispers still the ceaseless Love of Thee,
The heart's Self-solace and soliloquy.You mould my Hopes, you fashion me within.
(1807), lines 1-4And looking to the Heaven, that bends above you,
How oft! I bless the Lot, that made me love you.
, The Presence of Love (1807), lines 10-11F love is flower-
Friendship is a sheltering tree;
Oh the joys that came down shower-like,
Of friendship, love, and liberty,
Ere I was old!
, , st. 2 ()In many ways doth the full heart reveal
The presence of the love it would conceal.
, Poems Written in Later Life, motto (1826)* I am dying, but without expectation of a speedy release. Is it not strange that very recently by-gone images, and scenes of early life, have stolen into my mind, like breezes blown from the spice-islands of Youth and Hope — those twin realities of this phantom world! I do not add Love, — for what is Love but Youth and Hope embracing, and so seen as one? I say realities; for reality is a thing of degrees, from the Iliad to a dream.
by . The remark was made on 10 July 1834To know, to esteem, to love, and then to part,
Makes up life's tale to many a feeling heart!
,'Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919), On taking Leave of ———— (1817)I have heard of reasons manifold
Why Love must needs be blind,
But this the best of all I hold,—
His eyes are in his mind.
, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 10th ed. (1919), To a Lady, Offended by a Sportive ObservationFarewell, farewell! but this I tell
To thee, thou Wedding-Guest!
He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.
(1817), Stanza 22He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all.
(1817), Stanza 22Now here we are, The two of us,And nothing's gonna come between us again.Forever love, I feel you're with me,You're the sun that chases away the rain.I cherish all the love you bring,It's here forever and a day,I love you more than anything,I can't throw that away. My Love....For the memory of you,For all the times we shared together,For all we've been through,Forever Love.
(1992)Is it possible to understand what God's love means for the oppressed without making wrath an essential ingredient of that love? What could love possibly mean in a racist society except the righteous condemnation of everything racist? ... A God minus wrath seems to be a God who is basically not against anything.
, A Black Theology of Liberation (1970), p. 73Our love is principle, and has its root
In reason, is judicious, manly, free.
, The Task (1785), Book V, line 353Be loving, and you will be humble, and you will never want for guiding.
, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 394When
, as they do sometimes, we must try , which is
in . We must speculate no more on our , but simply do it. When we have done it, however blindly, perhaps Heaven will show us why.
, Christian's Mistake (1865). p. 64Mine to the core of the heart, my beauty!
Mine, all mine, and for love, not duty:
Love given willingly, full and free,
Love for love's sake — as mine to thee.
Duty's a slave that keeps the keys,
But Love, the master, goes in and out
Of his goodly chambers with song and shout,
Just as he please — just as he please.
, Poems (1866), "Plighted"You have to walk carefully in t the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip.
, Outside the Dog Museum (1991)Love's for a lifetime not for a moment.
(2001)I was searching for an answerIn a world so full of strangersBut what I found was never really enoughNow that I've found youI'm looking in the eyes of love (In the eyes of love)Baby you've been good to meOh, so much more that you could know, yeah, yeahI never thought that I would findSomeone who's so sweet and kindLike you...Please believe me when I sayThis time I won't run awayI swear by all the heaven's stars aboveNow that I've found youI'm looking in the eyes of loveLooking in t}

我要回帖

更多关于 let载波聚合什么意思 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信