sex on the phonee与by thephone

overthephone/throughthephone/onthephone请问有什么区别_百度知道
overthephone/throughthephone/onthephone请问有什么区别
用电话 (表示一种手段)eg:i made a booking by phone/over the phone!我正在打电话! 接下来对比下over和 through 这两个介词的不同.首先,over phone 和by phone 的大概意思相近:通过电话,通过电话,但这种通过与之前的不同,through the phone 更侧重于穿过电话. 我打电话(使用电话)进行了预定再次,through the phone也表示这里先找出与其它两个不同的-- on the phone 表示通话状态,说明说话人此时正处于通话的状态,在聊电话.eg:turn down the TV,隔着电话.(做某事! i am on the phone! 把电视音量关小.谈论某内容)eg:kiss me through the phone
通过电话吻我/ 隔着电话吻我.综上所述
采纳率:65%
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
换一换
回答问题,赢新手礼包
个人、企业类
违法有害信息,请在下方选择后提交
色情、暴力
我们会通过消息、邮箱等方式尽快将举报结果通知您。【图文】Unit3 On the Phone_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
Unit3 On the Phone
&&新视野商务英语视听说第三单元商务电话
大小:575.50KB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢【图文】商务英语Unit 3 On the phone_百度文库
两大类热门资源免费畅读
续费一年阅读会员,立省24元!
商务英语Unit 3 On the phone
大小:469.00KB
登录百度文库,专享文档复制特权,财富值每天免费拿!
你可能喜欢扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
下载作业帮安装包
扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
为什么用on the phone而不用on phone 表示在电话上不应该加the
作业帮用户
扫二维码下载作业帮
拍照搜题,秒出答案,一键查看所有搜题记录
固定搭配亲爱的!在英语中有些固定搭配是没有为什么的.
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
on the phone应该指的是在电话机的上面而不是在通话中比如说我的手绢在电话上on phone应该是表示在通话中的没有挂机比如XX在电话上
on the phone就可以表示通话中,比如以下都是正确的:Your voice sounds quite different on the phone.你在电话里面的声音听起来不一样。You were wanted on the phone. 有人打电话找过你。
You are wanted on the phone.有人叫你听电话。
语言中的好多东西是没有道理的,记住就好了。我是个高级英语教师,这是我给学生常说的话。
扫描下载二维码解析:on the phone是固定说法.若用by则不带冠词,第二空表示泛指. 答案:B——精英家教网——
暑假天气热?在家里学北京名师课程,
解析:on the phone是固定说法.若用by则不带冠词,第二空表示泛指. 答案:B 【】
题目列表(包括答案和解析)
Many people consider their pets members of the family and are very sad when they die, but what if you could clone your dog, cat or bird?A scientist in New Orleans, who has proved his ability to clone other animals, is now offering the possibility to pet owners here in Wisconsin.Scientists have not been able to clone dogs, cats or other pets, but if and when the time comes, several companies will be ready and able to do the job.The question is: Are you ready to clone your pet? Brett Reggio is betting on it.He is working on his Ph. D at Louisian State University. He's successfully cloned a goat five times and wants to try the process on family pets.& So he started a business called Lazaron. “What Lazaron provides is the first step in the cloning process. ”He said.“It’s for curing and storing the fiberglass cells that will be used for cloning.”“Your first reaction is yeah! I think I’d like that.” said Donna Schacht, a pet owner.“I don’t believe you can ever replace a special love,” pet owner Paulette Callattion said.Most pet owners will tell you freezing your pet’s& DNA in hopes of one day cloning it is a personal decision.Scientists say that cloning your own pet doesn’t mean that the offspring(后代) will have the same intelligence, temperament(性情) or other qualities that your pet has.【小题1】From the passage we know that scientists have ______.A.tried to clone animalsB.cloned many kinds of animalsC.been able to clone pets for peopleD.once cloned goats successfully【小题2】Brett Reggio started a business in order to _____.A.clone pets for peopleB.store the DAN of people’s pets for cloning one dayC.make pets members of a familyD.collect different ideas on cloning from people【小题3】Some people seem not interested in cloning pets because___________.A.they think it would be too expensiveB.they don’t think scientists will one day be able to clone their petsC.they think the cloned pet would not be the one they once hadD.they don’t want to give any love to the cloned pet【小题4】If you cloned a pet, your might find that it_____.A.looked different from the pet you once hadB.turned out to be another kind of animalC.had a different characterD.were just the same pet your once had
Our boat floated on between walls offorest. It was too thick for us to get a view of the land we were passingthrough, though we knew from the map that our river must be passing throughchains of hills from time to time. Nowhere did we find a place where we couldhave landed: although the jungle did not actually spread right down intothe river, banks of soft mud prevented us from going ashore. In any case, whatwould we have gained by landing? The country was full of snakes and otherdangerous creatures and the jungle was so thick that one would be able toadvance slowly, cutting one's way with knives the whole way. So we stayed inthe boat, hoping that when we reached the sea, a friendly fisherman would pickus up and take us to civilization.As for water, there was a choice. Wecould drink the muddy river water, or die of thirst. We drank the water. Menwho have just escaped from what appeared to be certain death lost all worriesabout such small things as diseases caused by dirty water. In fact, none of ussuffered from any illness as a result.One day we passed another village, butfortunately nobody saw us. We did not wish to risk being taken prisoners asecond time: we might not be so lucky as to escape in a stolen boat again.1.What they could see on theboat was only___ .A. high walls&&&&&&&& B. chains of hills& C. heavy woods D. vast land2.They couldn't land because_______ .A. the mud on the shore wastoo soft&&&&& B. they could not find anyoneC. they could not find the mark on the map D.the forest was too thick to go through3.From the passage, we canlearn that_____ .A. they were in an uninhabited area&&&&&& B. they were on a journey home happilyC. the country was a civilized society&&& D.the country was a tropical jungle coutry4.The best title for thispassage might he______A. I he Problem of Landing&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. Escape in the JungleC. An Entirely New Experience&&&&&&&&&&& D. Exploration of a River【答案】5.C6.A7.D8.B【解析】略【题型】阅读理解【适用】一般【标题】2011届江西省吉安市高三上学期期末教学质量评价英语试卷【关键字标签】江西省吉安市,高三英语,期末【结束】&&18【题文】If you travel to a new exhibition at the San Francisco Conservatory ofFlowers, you will have chances to see some meat-eating plants. Take bladderworts, a kind of such plant, forexample. They appear so small and grow in a quiet pond. &But these are thefastest known killers of the plant kingdom, able to capture a small insect in 1/50 of a second using a trap door!&Once the trap door closes on thevictim, the enzymes (酶)similar to those in the human stomach slowly digest the insert.When dinner is over, the plant opens the trap door and is ready to trap again.Meat-eating plants grow mostly in wetareas with soil that doesn't offer much food nutrition. In such conditions,these amazing plants have developed insect traps to get their nutritional needsover thousands of years. North America has more such plants than any othercontinents.Generally speaking, the traps may haveattractive appearance to fool the eye, like pitcher plants, which get theirname because they look like beautiful pitchers full of nectar (花蜜).Hair-like growths along the pitcherwalls ensure that nothing can escape, and the digestive enzymes can get towork. A tiny insect can be digested in a few hours, but a fly takes a couple ofdays.Some of these pitchers are large enoughto hold 7.5 liters. Meat-eating plantsonly eat people in science fiction movies, but sometimes a bird or other smallanimals will discover that a pitcher plant isn't a good place to get a drink.9.FromParagraph 1,we learn that bladderworts can__ .A. kill an insect in a second&&&&&&&& B. digest a fly in a few hoursC. be found floating on a quiet lake& D.capture an insect in 1/50 of a second10.Ifthe trap door of a meat-eating plant is closed, the plant isA. fooling insects into taking a sip& B. producing nectarC. tempting insects to come close&&&& D.enjoying a dinner11.Meat-eating plants can growin wet and poor soil because they&&& .A. can get nutrition from animals&&&& B. don't need much food nutritionC. can make the most of such conditions&&& D.have developed digestive enzymes12.What can be captured bymeat-eating plants for food?A. A child. B. A dog.&& C. A little bird.&& D. A little fish.&【答案】13.D14.D15.A16.C【解析】略【题型】阅读理解【适用】一般【标题】2011届江西省吉安市高三上学期期末教学质量评价英语试卷【关键字标签】江西省吉安市,高三英语,期末【结束】&19【题文】You know Australia is a big country, but you may not know how easy it is toget around. The untouched beaches that go for miles and deserts that touch thehorizon are just there, waiting to be reached and explored. The following arethe different ways you can explore our vast country.Flying is the best way to cover largedistances in a short time. You can spend more time on the Australia'scan't-miss landscapes and relaxing lifestyle. Moreover, competition amongairlines makes great flying fees available for you.Australia has a vast network ofwell-maintained roads and some of the most beautiful touring routes in theworld. You have no difficulty finding car rental companies at major airports,central city locations, suburbs and attractions.Bus travel in Australia is comfortable , easy and economical. Buses generallyhave air conditioning, reading lights, adjustable seats and videos. Servicesare frequent, affordable and efficient. RailTrain travel is the cheapest and givesyou an insight into Australia's size and variety, all from the comfort of yourcarriage. Scheduled services are a great way to get quickly between our citiesand regional centers. (轮渡)The Spirit of Tasmania runs a passengerand vehicle ferry service between Melbourne and Tasmania nightly. Extra senices are running during summer rush hours. Sea-link ferries connect South Australia and KangarooIsland several times a day. Ferries connect suburbs in our capital cities.With easy-on-the-feet pedestrian.(行人)streets, walking is a great way to getaround our cities.Besides all the above, you can alsoexperience some of the longest:tracks and trails in the world in central Australia——impressive journeys of a thousandkilometers or more that can take several weeks to complete.17.The underlined word&untouched& in Paragraph 1 means__ .A. secure&&&&&&&& B. special&&&&&&&&& C. natural&&&&&&&&& D.artificial18.Whichof the following is true about travelling in Australia?A.&& You can easily rent a car toexplore its beautiful touring routes.B.& More travellers make the flying feesamong airlines higher than before.C.& Taking a bus tour is the mostcomfortable, economical and efficient way.D.& Train services can offer you morecomfort than any other means of transport,19.Ferryservice between Melbourne and Tasmania usually runs_ •A. several times a day&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. only at night hoursC. between different cities&&&&&&&&&& D.only during rush hours20.Fromthe passage, we know that_____ .E.&& travelling in centralAustralia is time-consumingF.&& central Australia has theworld's shortest railway lineG.& pedestrian walking is a great way totravel between citiesH.& you have no choice but to walk over 1,000 kilometers in centralAustralia21.C22.A23.B24.A【解析】略【题型】阅读理解【适用】一般【标题】2011届江西省吉安市高三上学期期末教学质量评价英语试卷【关键字标签】江西省吉安市,高三英语,期末【结束】20【题文】BUKHANNON, West Virginia~~Two rescue teams slowly moved along a two—mile path on Monday night to the siteof a coal mine explosion that trapped 13 miners, who had not been heard from since the early morningaccident.Meanwhile, at a nearby church, morethan 250 family members and friendsgathered, waiting for updates on the rescuers' progress.The miners were trapped at about .6:30 and many families weren'tinformed of the accident until about 10 a.m.~~more than three hours after it happened. &It's veryupsetting, but you've got to be patient, I guess,& said John Helms, whosebrother, Terry, was trapped in the mine.The trapped miners were about 260 fee underground and about 10,000 feet from the Sago Mine'sentrance, said Roger Nicholson, a lawyer from International Coal Group.At a late night news conference,Nicholson said one team had advanced about 4, 800 feet in the four hours since enteringthe mine just before 6 p.m. Another team entered the mine about 30 minutes later.He said the crew was very experienced,with some members having worked underground for 30 to 35 years. The miners were equipped withal&out one hour of breathable oxygen each. The company has not released thenames of the miners.The teams test the air about every 500 feet, and have to disconnect the powerto the phones they use to communicate with the surface before doing that.&We don't want to be electrifying anything if it's in an atmospfiere withhurnahle gases,& Kips said.The cause of the explosion was notimmediately known. High levels of carbon monoxide ( 一氧化物) were discovered shortly after theexplosion, which delayed rescue efforts, but those levels have weakened sincethen, authorities said.25.Accordingto the passage, we ran infer that_ .I.&&&& communication with thetrapped miners was cut offJ.&&& the rescue started as soonas the accident happenedK.& the two rescue teams entered the mineat the same timeL.&& all the miners who weretrapped underground were still alive26.Ifthe first team advanced at an average speed, they could dig about______per hour.1,000 feet&&&&&&&& B. 1,200 feet&&&&&& C. 2,400 feet&&&&&& D.4,800 feet27.Whereran the passage he seen?A. Iii a magazine.&&& B. In a science hook. C. On an advertisement. D. In a newspaper.【答案】28.A29.B30.D【解析】略【题型】阅读理解【适用】一般【标题】2011届江西省吉安市高三上学期期末教学质量评价英语试卷【关键字标签】江西省吉安市,高三英语,期末【结束】21【题文】You wake up in the morning, the day isbeautiful and the plans for the day are what you have been looking forward to for a long time. Then the telephone rings, yousay hello, and the drama starts. The person on tbe other end has a depressingtone in his voice as he starts to tell you how terrible his morning is and thatthere is nothing to look forward to. Are you still in a wonderful mood?Impossible!Communieating with negative people canwash out your happiness. It may not change what you think, but communicatinglong enough with them will make you feel depressed for a moment or a long time.Life brings ups and downs, but somepeople are stuck in the wrong idea that life has no happiness to offer. Theyonly feel glad when they make others feel bad. No wonder they can hardly winothers' pity or respect.When you communicate with positivepeople, your spirit stays happy and therefore more positive things areattracted. When the knife of a negative person is put in you, you have theheavy feeling that, all in all, brings you down.Sometimes we have no choice but tocommunicate with negative people. This could be a co-worker, or a relative. Inthis case, say what needs to be said as little as possible. Sometimes it feelsgood to let out your anger back to the negative person, but this is to loweryou to that same negative level and they won't feel ashamed of themselves aboutthat.Negativity often affects happinesswithout even being realized. The negative words of others at the start of theday can be attached to you throughout the rest of your day, which makes youfeel bad and steals your happiness. Life is too short to feel negative. Staypositive and avoid negativity as much as possible.31. Which of the following shows theposition where the miners were trapped? (E: entrance P: position where the miners were trapped)32.Thepurpose of Paragraph 1 is to____ .A. make a comparison&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. introduce a topicC. offer an instructive story&&&&&&&& D.tell a true story33.Howcan negative people have effect on us?A. By influencing ouremotion.&&&&&&& B. By telling us the nature of life.C. By changing our way of thinking.&& D.By comparing their attitude to life with ours.34.Some negative people basetheir happiness on —.A. their pity for other people&&&&&&& B. their respect for others 'C. building up a positive attitude&&& D.making other people unhappy 35.According to the passage, to reducenegative people's influence on us, we are advised.A.& to change negative people's attitude tolifeB.& to show our dissatisfaction to negativepeopleC.& to make negative people feel as hamedof themselvesD.& to communicate with negative people aslittle as possible&&& . 【答案】36.A37.B38.A39.D40.D【解析】略【题型】阅读理解【适用】一般【标题】2011届江西省吉安市高三上学期期末教学质量评价英语试卷【关键字标签】江西省吉安市,高三英语,期末【结束】&【题文】对话填空(本节共10小题;每小题1分,满分10分) 个英语单词的完整、正确的形式,使对话通顺。&&&&&&W = Wendy.M: I'd like to 41.d_ something with you. Do you have aminute?&&&&&& 42. ______W: Sure. Ijust got off my eleven o'clock class. I don't have another class until thisafternoon.M: Good, listen! I've just 43.r ‘ an e-mail from the computer center.They are &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&44.______looking for students to help with the work of the school website thissummer.They need two 45.a____ to help with the project. They asked meif I knew&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&46.______any qualified students who might be 47.i& in it. I thought you mightlike &&&&&&&&&&48.______to have a 49.t___ .&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&50.______W: 51.S______ interesting, but my knowledge ofcomputers is&&&&&&&& 52.______53.p______ limited.&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& 54.______ —M: Well, I don't think any 55.s experience or knowledge is necessary.&& 56.______And with your interest in computers andthe Internet, I think you would be goodfor the job. 57.B___ , they are paying good money. What doyou think? &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&58.______.W: It seems like a great 59.c______to get some experience.Thanks for thinking &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&60.______of me!&
完形填空(共20小题;每小题1分,满分20分)When someone has deeply hurt you, it can be extremely difficult to let go of your anger. But forgiveness is possible—and it can be surprisingly&&& 16&&& to your physical and&&& 17&&& health.“People who always forgive others&& 18&&& less depression, anger and stress and more hopefulness,” says Frederic Luskin, Ph.D., the&&& 19&&& of Forgive for Good. “So it can help&&& 20&&& on the wear and tear on our organs, reduce the wearing out of the immune(免疫的) system and&&& 21&&& people to feel more vital.”So how do you start the forgiveness? Try&&& 22&&& these steps:Calm yourself. To defuse your&&& 23&& , try a simple stress-management technique. “Take a couple of breaths and think of&&& 24&&& that gives you pleasure: a&& 25&&& scene in nature, someone you love,” Luskin says.Don’t&&& 26&&& an apology. “Many times the person who hurt you has no&&& 27&&& of apologizing,” Luskin says. “They may have wanted to hurt you or they just don’t see things the same&&& 28&& . So if you wait for people to apologize you could be waiting a(n)&& 29&&& long time.” Keep in mind that forgiveness does not necessarily mean&&& 30&&& to the person who upsets you.Take the control away from your offender. Mentally replaying(重播) your&&& 31&&& gives power to the person who caused you pain. “&& 32&&& focusing on your hurt feelings, learn to look for the love, beauty and kindness&& 33&&& you,” Luskin says.Try to see things from the other person’s view. If you empathize(把感情移入) with that person, you may&&& 34&&& that he or she was acting out of ignorance, fear—even love.Recognize the benefits of forgiveness. Research has shown that people who always forgive others will get more energy, better&&& 35&&& and better sleep.Don’t forget to forgive yourself.“For some people, forgiving themselves is the biggest challenge,” Luskin says. But it can rob you of your self-confidence if you don’t do it.”16. A. beneficial&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. harmful&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. helpless&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. suitable 17. A. chemical&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. wealthy&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. technical&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. mental 18. A. own&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. show &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. direct&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. prove&19. A. author&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. owner&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. professor &&&&&&&&&&& D. publisher20. A. protect&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. save &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. wait&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. depend21. A. have&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. wish&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. make&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. allow 22. A. coping&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. turning&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. following &&&&&&&&&&&& D. accepting 23. A. sadness&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. anger &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. hunger&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. energy 24. A. something&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. anything&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. nothing&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. everything 25. A. thoughtful&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. dull&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. beautiful &&&&&&&&&&&& D. still 26. A. call for&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. hunt for&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. long for&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. wait for 27. A. invention&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. invitation&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. intention &&&&&&&&&&&& D. attention 28. A. way &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. means&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. method&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. approach29. A. helpfully&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. carefully&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. patiently&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. awfully&30. A. giving in &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. giving away C. giving up&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. giving out 31. A. wound&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. hurt &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. cut&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. damage32. A. Because of&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. Despite of&&&&&&&&&&&& C. Instead of&&&&&&&&&&&& D. In search of 33. A. around&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. above&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. beneath &&&&&&&&&&&&& D. below 34. A. tell&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& B. realize &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& C. see&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. recognize35. A. housing&&&&&&&&&& B. appearance&&&&&&&&& C. figure&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& D. appetite
&&&& Inthe college-admissions wars, we parents are the true fighters. We’re pushingour kids to get good grades, take SAT preparatory courses and build resumes sothey can get into the college of our first choice. I’ve twice been to the wars,and as I survey the battlefield, something different is happening. We see ourkids’ college background as a prize demonstrating how well we’ve raised them.But we can’t acknowledge that our obsession(痴迷) is more aboutus than them. So we’ve created various justifications(辩解)that turn out to be half-truths, prejudices or myths. Itactually doesn’t matter much whether Aaron and Nicole go to Stanford.We have a full- we worry that there won’t be enough prizes to go around. Fearful parentsurge their children to apply to more schools than ever. What causes thehysteria(歇斯底里) is the belief that scarce elite(精英)degrees must be highly valuable. Their graduates must enjoymore success because they get a better education and develop better contacts.All seems right but mostly wrong. We haven’t found any convincing evidence thatselectivity or prestige matters. Selective schools don’t employ better instructional approaches than less selective schools. On twomeasures—professors’ feedback and the number of essay exams selective schoolsdo slightly worse.By some studies,selective schools do enhance(提高) their graduates’ lifetime earnings. The gain isreckoned at 2-4% for every 100-point increase in a school’s average SAT scores.But even this advantage is probably a statistical fluke(偶然).A well-known study examined students who got into highly selective schools andthen went elsewhere. They earned just as much as graduates from higher-statusschools.Kids count more thantheir colleges. Getting into Yale may signify intelligence, talent andambition. But it’s not the only indicator and, surprisingly, its significanceis declining. The reason: so many similar people go elsewhere. Getting intocollege is not life’s only competition. In the next competition—the job marketand graduate school—the results may change. Princeton economist Alan Kruegerstudied admissions to one top Ph.D. program. High scores on the GRE help degrees of famous universities didn’t.So, parents, take iteasy(lighten up). The stakes (利害关系) have beenvastly exaggerated. Up to a point, we can rationalize our pushiness. America isa our kids need to adjust to that. But too much pushinesscan be destructive. The very ambition we impose on our children may get someinto Harvard but may also set them up for disappointment. One study found that,other things being equal, graduates of highly selective schools experiencedmore job dissatisfaction. They may have been so conditioned to being on topthat anything less disappoints.1. Why does the authorsay that parents are the true fighters in the college-admissions wars?&&&&&&&& A.They have the final say in which university their children are to attend.&&&&&&&& B.They know best which universities are most suitable for their children.&&&&&&&& C.They have to carry out intensive surveys of colleges before children make anapplication.&&&&&&&& D.They care more about which college their children go to than the childrenthemselves.2. Why do parents urgetheir children to apply to more schools than ever?&&&&&&&& A.They want to increase their children’s chances of entering a prestigiouscollege.&&&&&&&& B.They hope their children can enter a university that offers attractivescholarships.&&&&&&&& C.Their children will have a wider choice of which college to go to.&&&&&&&& D.Elite universities now enroll fewer student than they used to.3. What does the authormean by “kids count more than their colleges” Line1, para.4?&&&&&&&& A.Continuing education is more important to a person’s success.&&&&&&&& B.A person’s happiness should be valued more than their education.&&&&&&&& C.Kids’ actual abilities are more important than their college background.&&&&&&&& D.What kids learn at college cannot keep up with job market requirements.4. What does Krueger’sstudy tell us?&&&&&&&& A.Getting into Ph.D. programs may be more competitive than getting into college.&&&&&&&& B.Degrees of prestigious universities do not guarantee entry to graduateprograms.&&&&&&&& C.Graduates from prestigious universities do not care much about their GREscores.&&&&&&&& D.Connections built in prestigious universities may be kept long aftergraduation.5. One possible resultof pushing children into elite universities is that______&&&&&&&& A.they earn less than their peers from other institutions  &&&&&&&& B.they turn out to be less competitive in the job market&&&&&&&& C.they experience more job dissatisfaction after graduation &&&&&&&& D.they overemphasize their qualifications in job application &
Passage six(Dropouts for Ph. D. s)
& Educators are seriously concerned about the high rate of dropouts among the doctor of philosophy candidates and the consequent loss of talent to a nation in need of Ph. D. s. Some have placed the dropouts loss as high as 50 percent. The extent of the loss was, however, largely a matter of expert guessing. Last week a well-rounded study was published. It was published. It was based on 22,000 questionnaires sent to former graduate students who were enrolled in 24 universities and it seemed to show many past fears to be groundless.
& The dropouts rate was found to be 31 per cent, and in most cases the dropouts, while not completing the Ph. D. requirement, went on to productive work. They are not only doing well financially, but, according to the report, are not far below the income levels of those who went on to complete their doctorates.
& Discussing the study last week, Dr. Tucker said the project was initiated ‘because of the concern frequently expressed by graduate faculties and administrators that some of the individuals who dropped out of Ph. D. programs were capable of competing the requirement for the degree. Attrition at the Ph. D. level is also thought to be a waste of precious faculty time and a drain on university resources already being used to capacity. Some people expressed the opinion that the shortage of highly trained specialists and college teachers could be reduced by persuading the dropouts to return to graduate schools to complete the Ph. D.’
& “The results of our research” Dr. Tucker concluded, “did not support these opinions.”
Lack of motivation was the principal reason for dropping out.
Most dropouts went as far in their doctoral program as was consistent with their levels of ability or their specialities.
Most dropouts are now engaged in work consistent with their education and motivation.
& Nearly 75 per cent of the dropouts said there was no academic reason for their decision, but those who mentioned academic reason cited failure to pass the qualifying examination, uncompleted research and failure to pass language exams. Among the single most important personal reasons identified by dropouts for non-completion of their Ph. D. program, lack of finances was marked by 19 per cent.
& As an indication of how well the dropouts were doing, a chart showed 2% in humanities were receiving $ 20,000 and more annually while none of the Ph. D. ‘s with that background reached this figure. The Ph. D. ‘s shone in the $ 7,500 to $ 15,000 bracket with 78% at that level against 50% for the dropouts. This may also be an indication of the fact that top salaries in the academic fields, where Ph. D. ‘s tend to rise to the highest salaries, are still lagging behind other fields.
& As to the possibility of getting dropouts back on campus, the outlook was glum. The main condition which would have to prevail for at least 25 % of the dropouts who might consider returning to graduate school would be to guarantee that they would retain their present level of income and in some cases their present job.
1.The author states that many educators feel that
A.steps should be taken to get the dropouts back to campus.
B.the fropouts should return to a lower quality school to continue their study.
C.the Ph. D. holder is generally a better adjusted person than the dropout.
D.The high dropouts rate is largely attributable to the lack of stimulation on the part of faculty members.
2.Research has shown that
A.Dropouts are substantially below Ph. D. ‘s in financial attainment.
B.the incentive factor is a minor one in regard to pursuing Ph. D. studies.
C.The Ph. D. candidate is likely to change his field of specialization if he drops out.
D.about one-third of those who start Ph. D. work do not complete the work to earn the degree.
3.Meeting foreign language requirements for the Ph. D.
A.is the most frequent reason for dropping out.
B.is more difficult for the science candidate than for the humanities candidate.
C.is an essential part of many Ph. D. programs.
D.does not vary in difficulty among universities.
4.After reading the article, one would refrain from concluding that
A.optimism reigns in regard to getting Ph. D. dropouts to return to their pursuit of the degree.
B.a Ph. D. dropout, by and large, does not have what it takes to learn the degree.
C.colleges and universities employ a substantial number of Ph. D. dropouts.
D.Ph. D. ‘s are not earning what they deserve in nonacademic positions.
5.It can be inferred that the high rate of dropouts lies in
A.salary for Ph. D. too low.
B.academic requirement too high.
C.salary for dropouts too high.
D.1000 positions.
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号}

我要回帖

更多关于 talking on the phone 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信