求englishpod讲解文本 1-365期的完整文本,包括主持人的讲解部分文本的下载地址.

当前位置: >>
Englishpod 1-330 完美打印版
Elementary \ Difficult Customer (B0001)A: Good evening. My name is Fabio, I‘ll be your waiter for tonight. May I take your order? B: No, I‘m still working on it. This menu is not even in English. What‘s good here? A: For you sir, I would recommend spaghetti and meatballs. B: Does it come with coke and fries? A:It comes with either soup or salad and a complimentary glass of wine, Sir. B: I‘ll go with the spaghetti and meatballs, salad and the wine. A: Excellent choice, your order will be ready soon. B: How soon is soon? A: Twenty minutes? B: You know what? I‘ll just go grab a burger across the street.A: The timing is just not right. The economy is bad, and it‘s too risky to take on new staff. B: Yeah, I guess you‘re right.... here‘s an idea, what if we hire an intern? She would take some of the weight off my shoulders. A: She? B: Yeah, you know, a recent graduate. She could give me a hand with some of these projects and we could keep our costs down. A: That sounds reasonable... let me see what I can do. A: Tony, I‘d like to introduce you to your new assistant. B: OK, great! Let‘s meet her! C: Hi, I‘m Adam. B: Oh... hi... I‘m Tony...Elementary \Daily Life \ Cut In Line (C0005)A: I can‘t believe it took us two hours to get here. The traffic in New York is unbelievable. B: Yeah, but just relax honey, we‘re here and we‘re going on vacation. In a few hours we‘ll be in Hawaii, and you‘ll be on the golf course. A: Oh no!Look at that line! It must be a mile long! There‘s no way I‘m waiting for another two hours. B: Honey... don‘t... C: Hey man, the end of the line is over there. A: Yeah... C: No seriously, I was here first, and you can‘t cut in line like this. A: Says who? C: I do! A: So sue me! C: Alright...that‘s it....Elementary \ Calling In Sick (B0002)A: Hello, Daniel speaking, how may I help you? B: Hi, Daniel, Julie here. A: Hi, Julie, how are you? B: Actually, I‘m feeling quite ill today. A: I‘m sorry to hear that. What‘s wrong? B: I think I‘m coming down with the flu. I have a headache, a sore throat a runny nose and I‘m feeling slightly feverish. A: I see... so you‘re calling in sick? B: Yes, I was hoping to take the day off to recover. A: OK, then. Try and get some rest.Elementary \Daily Life \ Hotel Upgrade (C0003)A: Good afternoon. What can I do for you? B: I‘d like to check in please. I have a reservation under the name Anthony Roberts. A: All right R.O.B.E.R.T.S... Oh, Mr. Roberts we‘ve been expecting you& and here is your keycard to the presidential suite. B: But there
my reservation was for a standard room. A: Are you sure? Let me double check . B: Yeah&Here, this is my confirmation number. A: You‘re right Mr. Roberts, there seems to be a mixup, unfortunately we‘re oVerbooked at the moment . B: So& A: Not to worry. We‘re pleased to offer you a complimentary upgrade. B: Presidential suite baby!Elementary \ The Weekend \ Road Trip (C0006)A: So, are we all ready to go? B: Yup, I think so. The car‘ we have munchies and music, and the map‘s in the car. A: Did you get the camera? B: Got it! Did you fill up the tank? A: Yup, it‘s all set. B: You‘re sure we‘re not forgetting anything? A: I‘m sure... we‘ve got all our bases covered. B: Well& let‘s get going then! I love road trips! B: Um... do you think we can make a pit stop? A: But we‘ve only been on the road for ten minutes. B: I know, but I forgot to go to the bathroom before we left.Elementary \ The Office \ Virus! (C0007)A: Oh great! This stupid computer froze again! Thats the third time today! Hey Samuel, can you come take a look at my PC? Its acting up again. It must have a virus or something. B: J Ill be right up. B: I ran a virus scan on your computer, and it turns out that you have a lot of infected files! A: But Im quite careful when Im browsing the1 / 72Elementary \The Office \ I need an assistant! (C00 04)A: ...like I told you before, we just don‘t have the resources to hire you an assistant. B: I understand that, but the fact is we‘re understaffed. internet, I have no idea how I could have picked up a virus. B: Well, you have to make sure that your anti-virus software
yours wasn‘t up to date, that‘s probably what was causing your problems. A: Ok. Anything else? B: Yeah, try not to kick or hit the computer! A: Um yeah& Sorry about that.Elementary \ Daily Life \ What’s your name again? (C0008)A: Nick! How‘s it going? B: Oh, hey... A: What are you doing in this neighbourhood? Do you live around here? B: Actually, my office is right around the corner. A: It was great to meet you last week at the conference. I really enjoyed our conversation about foreign investment. B: Yeah, yeah, it was really interesting. You know, I‘m in a bit of a hurry, but here‘s my card. We should definitely meet up again and continue our discussion. A: Sure, you still have my contact details, right ? B: You know what, this is really embarrassing, but your name has just slipped my mind. Can you remind me? A: Sure, my name is Ana Ferris. Don‘ it happens to me all the time. I‘m terrible with names too.C: Um, perhaps, um, a sales promotion. Maybe a two-for-one offer, or something like that! A: What? That‘s the same thing. Bad idea. Really bad idea. Dammit people come on! Think! The CEO will be here any minute. D: Do we have any ideas yet? C: Yes Mr. Swan, we were kind of considering a twoforone offer to get more competitive. D: A two-for-one promotion? Hmm. I kind of like the sound of that. It sounds like something we should consider. A: Yeah, exactly. Just what I was thinking! In fact, that‘s a brilliant idea! I‘m glad we thought of that. Very creative.Elementary \ Daily Life \ New Guy in Town (C0011 )A: Oh, I don‘t know if you heard, but someone moved into that old house down the road. B: Yeah, I know. I met the owner of the house yesterday as he was moving in. His name is Armand. A: Really? What‘s he like? You have to fill me in. B: Actually, he‘s a bit strange. I don‘t know... I‘ve got a bad feeling about him. A: Really? Why? B: Well, yesterday I brought over a housewarming gift,but Armand started acting really weird, and then he practically kicked me out! I tried to, sort of, peek into his house, but everything was so dark inside that I couldn‘t really get a good look. A: Well, you‘ll never guess what I saw this morning. A delivery truck pulled into his driveway, and it dropped off a long, rectangular box. It almost looked like a coffin! B: You see! Why would he... C: Hello ladies... B: Ah, Armand! You scared the heck out of me! This is my friend Doris. C: A pleasure to meet you...If you are not doing anything tonight, I would like to have you both for dinner.I mean...I would like to have you both over for dinner.Elementary \ The Weekend \ Silence please! (C00 09)A: Those people in front of us are making so much noise. Its so inconsiderate! B: D it‘s not such a big deal. A: Oh... I cant hear a thing! Excuse me, can you keep it down? C: Sure, sorry ‘bout that! A: Someones phone is ringing! B: Honey, I think its your phone. Did you forget to switch it off? A: Oh, no! Youre right. Thats so embarrassing! C: Do you mind keeping it down? Im trying to watch a movie here!Elementary \ Daily Life \ Cleaning the House (C00 12)A: Honey, the house is such a mess! I need you to help me tidy up a bit. My boss and her husband are coming over for dinner and the house needs to be spotless! B: I‘m in the middle of something right now. I‘ll be there in a second. A: This can‘t wait! I need your help now! B: Alright, alright. I‘m coming. A: Ok, here‘s a list of chores we need to get done. I‘ll do the dishes and get all the groceries for tonight. You can sweep and mop the floors. Oh, and the furniture needs to be dusted. B: You know what, I have to pick something up at the mall, so why don‘t you clean the floors and Ill go to the supermarket and get all the groceries. A: Sure that‘s fine. Here is the list of all the things you2 / 72Elementary \ The Office \ Driving Sales (C0010)A: All right, people. We‘re holding this meeting today because we‘ve got to do something about our sales, and we need to do it NOW! I want concrete solutions. How do you intend to drive sales... Roger? B: Well, in fact, we‘re the most expensive in the market, so maybe we need to lower our prices to match the competitors? A: Lower our prices? Not very creative. It‘ll never fly with Swan. What kind of thinking is that? Geez. Anybody else have a better plan? Natalie? need to get. Dont forget anything! And can you pick up a bottle of wine on your way home? B: Hey, honey I‘m back. Wow, the house looks really good! A: Great! Can you set the table? B: Just a sec I‘m just gonna vacuum this rug real fast A: Wait! Don‘t turn it on...Elementary \ The Office \ Out Of Control Spendin g (C0013)A: OK, so now the last point on our agenda. Jill, let‘s go over the profit and loss statement. B: Great. Well, the main issue here, as you can see, is that our expenses are through the roof. A: Let‘s see... These numbers are off the charts! What‘s going on here! B: Well, um, sir, the company expenditures on entertainment and travel are out of control. Look at these bills for example. Just this month we‘ve paid over twenty thousand dollars for hotel charges! A: OK, thank you. I‘ll look into it. B: The list goes on and on. Here, this is a bill for five thousand dollars for spa treatments! A: T that will be all. I‘ll take care of it. B: Look at this one sir, eight thousand dollars were spent in one night at a place called ‖Wild Things‖?! A: OK, I get it!! Thank you for your very thorough analysis!A: I feel terrible, I really didn‘t mean to knock you over. My tire, just exploded, and I lost control of my bike. Really, it was an accident. Please accept my apologies. B: Just let me try to stand up. SONG: Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near? A: Are you okay? B: Oh, wait a second, you seem really familiar, I think I know you from somewhere. A: Yeah, I think we have met somewhere before. That‘s right! We met at Aaron‘s place last weekend! What a coincidence! But anyway, I‘m glad to see that you‘re not too badly hurt, and I should probably get going. I have a nine o‘clock meeting. B: Ouch! My ankle! I think it‘s broken! You can‘t just leave me like this! Are you calling an ambulance? A: Nope, I‘m canceling my appointment so that I can stay here with you. SONG: Do you remember when we met? That‘s the day I knew you were my pet. I wanna tell you how much I love you.Elementary \ Turn left here! (B0016)A: Hurry up, get in. B: I‘m in, let‘s go! A: OK, make a left here. . . no wait, I meant make a right. Come on, speed up! B: Geez! What‘s the rush? A: Don‘t worry about it, just drive. Oh, no, the light is about to change. . . step on it! B: Are you nuts! I‘m not going to run a red light! A: Whatever. Just turn right here. . . .The freeway will be packed at this hour. . . .let‘s take a side street. Go on! Get out of our way! Move, move! B: What‘s your problem! Geez. Having a fit is not going to help! A: Here, I know a short cut....just go down here, and we‘ll cut though Ashburn Heights. Let‘s go, let‘s go! Watch out for that lady! B: I‘m going as fast as I can! A: Yes! We made it. 5:58, just before the library closes. B: You‘re such a geek!Elementary \ I’m in Debt (B0014)A: Hello, I‘m here to see Mr. Corleone. B: Right this way, sir. C: Charlie! What can I do for you? B: Mr. Corlone, I‘m really sorry to trouble you, but I need your help. C: Anything for you, Charlie! Your father was like a brother to me. B: Well, sir, you see, this recession ha I lost my job and I‘m in a lot of debt. C: I see. . . . . . B: Yeah, you know, I‘ve got credit card bills, car payments, I‘ve go and on top of all that, I have to pay my son‘s college tuition. C: So you‘re asking for a loan. B: Well, I just thought maybe you could help me out. C: What? At a time like this? I‘m broke too, you know! You‘re not the only one who has been hit by the recession! I lost half my money in the stock market crash! Go on! Get outa here!Elementary \ Here Comes the Bride (B0017)A: I can‘t believe that Anthony is finally getting married! B: Yeah well it‘s about time! He‘s been living with his parents for 40 years! A: Don‘t be mean. Look here come the bridesmaids! Their dresses look beautiful! B: Who are those kids walking down the aisle? A: That‘s the flower girl and the ring bearer. I‘m pretty sure they‘re the groom‘s niece and nephew. Oh, they look so cute! B: I just hope the priest makes it quick. I‘m starving. I hope the food‘s good at the reception. A: That‘s all you ever think about, food! Oh, I think the bride‘s coming now! She looks gorgeous. Wait, what‘s she3 / 72Elementary \ Daily Life \ I’m sorry, I love you (C00 15)A: Whoa, whoa, what‘s going on? Watch out! B: Hey, watch where you‘re going! A: Oh, no! I‘m so sorry! Are you all right? B: Oh...I don‘t know. doing? Where‘s she going? B: Oh great! Does this mean that the reception is canceled?Elementary \ Upper\Intermediate \ Protest! (D001 8)A: This is Action 5 News reporter Sarah O‘Connell reporting live from Washington, D. C. where a protest has broken out. Thousands of angry citizens are protesting against the proposed bailout of the auto manufacturing industry! Sir, sir, Sarah O‘Connell, Action 5 news. Can you tell us what‘s happening? B: Yeah, yeah, we‘re here because we feel this is an injustice! The financial irresponsibility of big business has to stop! We‘re there to show the government that we don‘t like the way that they‘re spending our tax dollars! A: Sir but what exactly is making everyone so angry? B: It‘s an absolute outrage, Sarah, the US government wants to give 25 billion dollars of taxpayers‘ money to the auto industry. These are companies that have been mismanaged and are now nearly bankrupt. A: I see. But, many supporters of the bailout argue that it could help save the jobs of millions of hardworking Americans. B: That maybe true, and I for one don‘t want to see anyone lose their job, but how can these CEOs ask for a bailout when they‘re making millions of dollars? And then, they have the nerve to fly to Washington in private jets! This costs hundreds of thousands of dollars! And they‘re asking for money! That is just not right! A: Good point. This is Sarah O‘Connell reporting live from Washington D. C., back to you, Tom.A: Hello, Arthur. What seems to be the problem? B: Hey doc. Well, I think I might need glasses. I‘m getting headaches, and I really struggle to see things that are far away. But I have always had 20/20 vision. A: Sounds like you may be far-sighted. OK, then, cover your left eye and read the chart in front of you. B: Mmm.. . X, E, R, 3, a question mark, and I can‘t quite make out the other symbol but I think it‘s the peace sign. A: Wow, Arthur! You‘re as blind as a bat! B: Yeah, I know, my vision is really blurry at times. A: Ok then, head on over to the other room and pick out some frames while I fill out your prescription. B: Thanks doc! A: Arthur, that‘s the bathroom.Elementary \The Office \ What Do You Do? (C002 1)A: Oh, look, there‘s Veronica and her boyfriend. She‘s always going on about him at the office. Oh, great, they saw us. They‘re coming this way. B: Oh, man... C: Jessica! Arthur! Hi! I‘d like you to meet my boyfriend Greg, he‘s the V. P. of quality and safety for a top Fortune 500 food company. A: Nice to meet you. This is my husband, Arthur. B: Hey, how‘s it going? D: Hello. A: Veronica talks about you all the time. I guess you must be pretty busy at work. D: Well, yeah, a V. P. position is not easy, you know! I implement policies and procedures nationwide. of various departments, as well as train junior managers in FDA and EPA regulations. I also have to oversee daily ope B: Wow, yeah... that sounds exciting. D: And what about you, Arthur? What do you do for a living? B: Oh, I‘m a Top Gun pilot!Elementary \ The Weekend \ Christmas Chronicles I (C0019)A: I hate working on Christmas Eve! Whoa! Get a load of this guy! Come in central, I think we‘ve got ourselves a situation here. B: License and registration please. Have you been drinking tonight, sir? A: I had one or two glasses of eggnog, but nothing else. B: Step out of the vehicle, please. Sir, what do you have in the back? A: Just a few Christmas gifts, ‘tis the season, after all! B: Don‘t take that tone with me. Do you have an invoice for these items? A: Umm...no...I make these in my workshop in the North Pole! B: You are under arrest, sir. You have the right to remain silent. You better not pout, you better not cry. Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the
if you cannot afford one, the state will appoint A: You can‘t take me to jail! What about my sleigh? It‘s Christmas Eve! I have Presents to deliver! Rudolph! Prancer! Dancer! Get help!Elementary \The Weekend \ Christmas Chronicles II (C0022)A: Really, gentlemen, you can‘t take me to jail! Don‘t you know who I am? Kris Kringle, you know, Papa Noel, Pere Noel, Babbo Natale, sheng dan lao ren! B: Yeah, Yeah, we‘ve heard that one before, haven‘t we Joe? C: Yeah, last week we booked this guy who claimed to be the tooth fairy! Can you believe that? A: It‘s Christmas Eve and I have all these Presents to deliver! Where is your Christmas spirit? What will happen when all the children wake up tomorrow and don‘t find any gifts in their stockings? B: Sorry buddy, you were parked in a no-parking zone, you were speeding, and you have no ID! C: Besides that, even if we let you go now, your sleigh has been impounded and those reindeer were taken to the city zoo. A: What! This is unbelievable! What‘s this world coming to? Christmas is ruined!4 / 72Elementary \ I Can See Clearly Now (B0020) C: What‘s that up ahead? It looks like... elves!! Elves!! Whoa, they‘re shooting candy canes! Mayday, Mayday, we are under heavy attack! We need backup!Elementary \ Making an Appointment (B0023)A: Hello, Fairbrook Consulting, how may I help you? B: Yes, this is Julianne Horton, and I‘m calling to arrange an appointment with Ms. McNealy. A: Certainly, what day were you thinking of? B: How‘s Thursday? Does she have any time available then? A: Um. . . let me double check. . . unfortunately, she‘s booked solid on Thursday, how does next Monday work for you? B: Actually, I‘ve got something scheduled on Monday. Can she do Tuesday? A: Sure, Tuesday‘s perfect. May I ask where you‘re calling from? B: Sure, Merton Financial Advisors. A: Oh, actually, Tuesday‘s no good. Sorry ‘bout that.numbers and figure out what kind of financial impact an outbreak might have. A: You‘ll also need to think about how we can avoid any of our employ think of ways to reduce employee-customer contact, perhaps some IT solutions that will allow our people to work from home. C: I guess you‘ll need me to forecast employee absences as well, right? And I‘ll think about the impact this will have on our clients. Hey, what about vaccines? Should we be thinking about getting vaccines for our employees? A: Exactly right. So, I‘ll leave this to you, and we‘ll review the draft plan in two weeks. Okay, so, anyone want to order some KFC for lunch?Elementary \ New Year Resolution (B0026)A: So, did I tell you about my New Year‘s resolution? I‘ve decided to go on a diet. B: And you‘re going to completely transform your eating habits, right? A: Exactly! I‘m going to cut out all that junk I no more chips, no more soda, no more fried food. B: I‘ve heard this one before. A: But this time I‘m going to stick to it. I really mean it! Trust me, Carol, I‘m going to be a new man in one year‘s time! B: Well, I guess we‘ll just have to wait and see. A: Thanks, honey, that was a great meal. I‘m stuffed. Do we have any chips left?Elementary \ Where should we eat? (B0024)A: Do you two have any plans for the evening? B: We were thinking of checking out a restaurant in the neigbourhood. Do you have any suggestions? A: I know this really nice Italian place. The food is fantastic, and the d′ecor is beautiful. I‘d recommend giving it a try. C: Actually, I‘m not all that crazy about I I‘m in the mood for something a bit lighter. A: In that case, I know a great little bistro. They make a really t the fish is outstanding. B: It sounds fantastic, but I‘m allergic to seafood, so. . . A: Okay, well, let me think. . . Oh, I know this great little place. It‘s just a hole in the wall, but they do the most amazing sandwiches. You gotta give them a try. C: Ella, you took me there last time I visited, and I got food poisoning, remember?Elementary \ Asking for Time Off (B0027)A: Mr. McKenna, do you have a second? I need to talk to you about something. B: Sure, Liv, what can I do for you? A: Well, I was just wondering. . . you see, I know I‘ve used up all my vacation days this year, but my sister is getting married, and the wedding is overseas, and, well. . . B: You wanna take some time off, is that right? A: Well, sir, I was just hoping that I might be able to take some unpaid leave this year. B: What dates are you planning on taking off? I‘ll need at least two months notice, so that I can plan for your absence. A: I was thinking of taking off from September first until the thirtieth . Would you be okay with that? B: Well, I guess so.Elementary \Upper\Intermediate \ Planning For T he Worst (D0025)A: Well, right, let‘s move to our next order of business, as many of you are aware, in recent weeks there has been a lot of media coverage surrounding this bird flu issue. And it‘s come to my attention that our company lacks any sort of bird flu contingency plan. B: Basically, we need to come
we need to outline specific actions that our company can take to maintain critical business functions in case a pandemic strikes. A: So, what I‘d like to do is: first appoint someone to look aft Ralph, I‘d like you to head up this project. C: Sure, no problem. What issues do you want me to consider? B: Well, let‘s see, there are a few points we need to be thinking about. . . first, I‘ll need you to analyze ourElementary \Daily Life \ I’m Sorry, I Love You II (C 0028)A: I‘m so relieved that your ankle wasn‘t broken! I feel just awful about this whole thing. I wanna make it up to you. Let me take you out to dinner tonight. My treat. B: That sounds great! I‘d love to! Here is my address. Pick me up at eight? A: Perfect! B: Thank you for such a lovely evening! The food was amazing, and I had a great time. A: Me too. You look so beautiful tonight! I wish this night5 / 72 would never end. There‘s something I have to tell you... B: What is it? A: I woke up today thinking this would be just like any other ordinary day, but I was wrong. A twist of fate brought us together. I crashed into your life and you into mine, and this may sound crazy, but I‘m fallingdelicious...Imean beautiful. Please come in. A: Oh Oh Armand! You are too kind! B: How did I get myself into this...Elementary \ Canceling an Appointment (B0031)A: Hello, Samantha speaking. B: Hi Samantha. This is Angela calling. A: Oh, hi Angela, what‘s up? B: I‘m just calling about our meeting today. I wonder, is it possible to reschedule our appointment in the afternoon? I have a bit of an emergency that I need to take care of. A: Let me see, it shouldn‘t be too much of a problem... B: I‘m really sorry, I hope it doesn‘t inconvenience you too much, it‘s just this thing came up, and ... A: Angela, you know what, I can‘t make it to our meeting, either. Why don‘t we postpone it to tomorrow afternoon at the same time? B: Sounds great. See you tomorrow. C: Angela..Angela, look up! See that lady over there who is trying on a red leather jacket? Isn‘t that Samantha? B: What? No wonder she told me she couldn‘t make it to the meeting, oh, no, I think she saw me...Elementary \Advanced \ Investing in Emerging Ma rkets (E0029)A: Dad, I‘d like to borrow some money. B: Sure, Johnny, how much do you need? five bucks? A: Come on, Dad, I need thirty thousand. I wanna get into the market. You know, I‘m tired of hearing all this news about the economic downturn, the inevitable recession, people stuffing their money in their mattresses. I look at this as an opportunity. This is a chance for me to get a jump start on building my nest egg. B: I don‘ with all the uncertainty in the markets right now, it would be a very unwise decision to invest. I don‘t know if you‘re aware son, but there has been a lot of turmoil in the markets recently. There have already been half a million layoffs in the last few months, and we have no idea how the proposed stimulus package will impact the economy. There‘s just too much instability. I wouldn‘t feel comfortable investing in this climate. A: But look at it this way, every challenge is an opportunity. And anyway, I‘m not talking about investing in the domestic market. There are emerging markets that promise great returns. Look at China, they have 1.4 billion people, half a billion of whom have recently entered the middle class. Here alone, the aggregate demand for consumer goods rePresents an amazing wealth generating opportunity. B: Come on, son, you‘re looking at this too naively, the Chinese market has exhibited a great deal of instability, and their currency has been devalued by almost a whole percentage point. A: Fine, then! If that‘s the way you feel, so be it. But you‘re losing out on a great opportunity here. I‘m going to go hit up Mum for the cash.Elementary\ Daily Life \ Opening a Bank Account ( C0032)A: Next, please. May I help you, sir? B: Hello, yes, I‘d like to open a bank account. A: Certainly, I can can help you with that. What type of account would you like to open? A chequing or a savings account? B: What What features do they offer? A: Well, if you just take a look here, see, with our chequing account, you can have unlimited daily transactions for a small monthly fee, and our savings account has a higher interest rate, but you must carry a minimum balance of $ 10,000 dollars. B: I see, well, I think I‘m more interested i I like to have easy access to my money. A: Alright, then, with this chequing account you‘ll be issued a debit card and a cheque book. Will you require overdraft protection? There is an extra fee for that. B: No, that won‘t be necessary. A: In that case, I‘ll get you to fil I‘ll need your social insurance number, and two pieces of government ID. If you could just sign here, and here, we‘ll be all set. Would you like to make a deposit today? B: Yes, I‘d like to deposit one billion dollars.Elementary \Daily Life \ New Guy in Town II (C003 0)A: Oh, Armand, thank you for such a thoughtful invitation! It‘s really very nice of you to invite us over for dinner, don‘t you think so, Ellen? B: Oh, yes of course! We‘d love to come over. Can I bring anything? C: No, don‘ I‘ll take care of everything. I‘ll see you tonight. Come with an appetite... I know I will! B: I don‘t want go over to his place for dinner! He gives me the creeps! Why on earth did you accept? A: Oh come on Ellen, it will be nice to get to know him.Besides, he‘s new to the neighborhood, and it would berude to decline his invitation. B: I guess so... You always rope me into things likethis! C: Ladies! Thank you for coming! You lookElementary \ Foul! (B0033)A: Has the game started yet? B: Yeah, about 5 minutes ago. A: Whos winning? B: The Bulls, of course! A: What! That wasnt a foul! C‘mon, ref! B: Don‘t worry, Shaq always screws up free throws. A: You were right! He didn‘t make the shot!6 / 72 B: That was a great shot! A three pointer, yeah! A: Did you see that? He traveled and the ref didn‘t call it! B: This ref needs glasses. Hey ref, open your eyes! I can‘t believe he didn‘t see that! A: Okay... end of the first quarter... Alright, I‘m gonna make a beer run.you, what a jerk, make me hire your stupid, useless, cousin.Elementary \ I’m Sorry, I Love You III (B0036)A: Steven! Where have you been? I‘ve been trying to get a hold of you for hours! B: I... um... there was an emergency at work, so... A: I was waiting for you in the restaurant for three hours! And you didn‘t even have the decency to call me! Do you have any idea how embarrassed I was? B: Honey, I promise this won‘t happen again, it‘s just that I... A: Yeah, right. I‘ve heard it all before. I‘m not going to take any more of your empty promises. This is the 5th time you‘ve stood me up in two weeks! You need to get your priorities straight. I‘m tired of you putting your job first all the time! B: Come on, Veronica, that‘s not fair. I do care about you a lot, you know that. I tried to ... A: You know what? Maybe we should just take a break. I need some time to think about where this relationship is heading. B: But...Veronica, would you just listen to me? There was a fire alarm at my office building today and I was stuck...Elementary\ Upper\Intermediate \ Live from Was hington (D0034)A: This is Madeline Wright, for BCC News reporting live from Washington D. C. where, very shortly, the new President will deliver his inaugural address. Just moments ago, the President was sworn- following the United States Constitution the President swore an oath to faithfully execute the office of the presidency. B: And what exactly is going on now, Madeline? A: Well, Tom, true to American tradition, the band has just played DHail to the Chief‖, and the President has been honored by a 21-gun salute. Now we‘re waiting for the President to take to the stage and deliver his speech. Tom, it‘s like a who‘s who of the political world here on Capital Hill, with dignitaries representing several different countries. B: What‘s the mood on the ground like, Madeline? A: In a word, the mood here is electric. The excitement in I‘ve never seen a larger crowd here on Capital Hill, and the audience is shouting, crying, and embracing each other. On this, a most historic day, you can feel the hope and the excitement in the air. The 20th of January will go down in history as the . . . . Oh, Tom, it looks like the President is about to begin. . . C: My fellow Americans, today I stand before you...Elementary \ Intermediate \ Chinese New Year (C 0037)A: I‘m so excited about Chinese New Year! When do I get to visit Grandma? Grandma makes the best dumplings in the world! B: Ha ha, right. Sounds to me like you‘re more excited about the dumplings than seeing your Grandma. A: Of course I miss Grandma, too. I bet she‘s gonna teach me how to play Mahjong! Hey, Dad, are you going to buy me firecrackers this year? We‘re going to have the best fireworks! I‘m really looking forward to lighting them! B: Son, firecrackers aren‘ they‘re dangerous! A: No, fireworks are awesome! B: Whoa, don‘t you remember? Last year when I set off the firecrackers, you covered both your ears and hid behind your mother? A: Dad! I was scared because... because I saw a bug. That‘s all. B: Hahaha... really? A: Oh, and I can‘t wait to watch the dragon dance! Dad, can I sit on your shoulders this time? B: Hey, I offered last year... A: Well, I... anyways, I was just thinking of the red envelopes. I wanna make a list of all the things I‘m gonna buy with my red envelope money! I can‘t wait! I‘m gonna have so much money! Mom, can I get a pen and a piece of paper? A: I want a new transformer, no, two transformers...the Optimus Prime, and...maybe the wheeljack? I‘ll get a PSP game, hahaha, and I‘ll buy the entire class lunch at MacDonald‘s...Elementary \ Daily Life \ He’s not a Good Fit (C003 5)A: So, Lauren, I just wanted to talk to you quickly about our new customer support representative, Jason Huntley. B: Sure, what‘s up? A: Basically, I‘ve got a few concerns about him, and the bottom line is, I don‘t think he‘s a good fit for our company. B: Okay... what makes you say that? I thought you were pleased with his overall performance. Didn‘t you just tell me last week how impressed you were with his attitude? A: Yeah, his attitude is great, but he‘s really unreliable. Sometimes he‘s really productive, but then other times... take last Tuesday for instance, he was forty-five minutes late for our morning meeting! B: Well, I‘m sure he had a perfectly good reason... A: But that‘s not the only thing... you know, he really doesn‘t have the best work ethic, I‘m constantly catching him on MSN and Facebook when he should be talking to clients. B: Yeah, but come on, Geoff, as if you don‘t check Facebook at work. Look, you hired this guy, we‘ve invested a lot of time and money in his training, so now it‘s up to you to coach him. Make it work, Geoff! A: Make it work, Geoff. You would say that, wouldn‘tElementary \ Daily Life \ Buying a Car (C0038)7 / 72 A: Hi there, can I help you folks? B: I‘ seeing what‘s on the lot. My daughter wants a car for her birthday, you know how it is. C: Dad! I‘m sixteen already and I‘m, like, the only one at school who doesn‘t have a car! A: She is right, you know. Kids these days all have cars. Let me show you something we just got in: a 1996 sedan. Excellent gas mileage, it has dual airbags
a perfect vehicle for a young driver. C: Dad, I love it! It‘s awesome! Can we get this one please? B: I see... What can you tell me about this one? A: Oh, that‘s just an old World War Two tank that we use for TV commercials. Now about this sedan... B: Whoa, whoa wait a minute. Tell me more about this tank. A: Well, Sir, if you are looking for quality and safety then look no further! Three inches of reinforced steel protect your daughter from short range missile attacks. B: Does the sedan protect her from missile attacks? A: It does not. B: Well, I don‘t know. Let me sleep on it. A: Did I mention the tank is a tank? B: I‘ll take it! C: Dad!about that. A: Geeze! I just want to know where the bathroom is! What‘s wrong with you people!Elementary \ The Weekend \ Movie Trailer (C0041 )A: In a digital world, even the strongest must fight for survival. Two people, possess a secret so valuable, so powerful, they have to defend it at all costs. B: I don‘t care where they are, I don‘t care what it takes... you find them and bring them to me! A: They only had one chance! And their chance was to fight back! D: You wanna play rough? Okay, say hello to my little friend! A: With a little help from a Governor... C: Listen to me! We have to get them outta there! No matter what! A: Nothing will prevent them from doing their job! Double the action. D: Get down! A: Triple the excitement. D: Get down again! A: This summer... nothing will stand in their way. B: I‘m going to make him an offer he can‘t refuse. A: Two hosts, one podcast, coming to a theater near you.Elementary \ My New Boyfriend (B0039)A: Irene! I heard you were on a date last night! So, how how did it go? I want all the juicy details! B: Um... well, actually, we had a fantastic time last night. He was...amazing! A: Okay, now you really have to fill me in. What‘s he like? B: He‘s he‘s quite tall, around 6‘1‖, he‘s in his early thirties, and he‘s got the most beautiful dark brown eyes... A: He sounds hot! What does he do for a living? B: You know what, this is the best part. David is a junior investment banker at Fortune Bank, so he‘s got a great career path ahead of him! A: Hold on a sec, his name is David? B: Yeah? A: That‘s my brother!Elementary \ I Need More Time (B0042)A: So, Casey, how are things going with the photos for the press kit? B: Yeah, I‘ve been meaning to talk to you about that. I might need to ask for an extension on that deadline. A: You‘ve had over a month to get this finalized! Why are things delayed? B: Well, the thing is, we ran into a lot of problems. . . A: I‘m not looking for excuses here. I just want to get this finished on time! B: I know, and I apologize for the delay. But some things were just beyond my control. I had trouble booking the photographer, and then Michael was sick for three weeks, so I couldn‘t include him in the photos, and the design team lost all the files, so I had to re-do the pictures. A: I‘m not going to put this off any longer, Casey! I want those photos ASAP!Elementary \ Can I ask you a favor? (B0040)A: Um, sorry to bother you, um... my name is Rachel. I‘m new here. Can I ask you a favor? B: Hi Rachel, welcome on board. I‘m afraid I can‘t help you right now. I‘m getting ready for a very important meeting. A: Excuse me, but can I bother you for a sec? C: You know what, I‘d love to help you, but I‘m about to meet an important client. Do you wanna try Sean instead? He sits right over there. A: Sorry to interrupt you Sean, could you do me a quick favor? D: Actually, I‘m working on a document that is due in a couple minutes. I really can‘t talk to you right now. SorryElementary \ Daily Life \ Applying for a Visa (C004 3)A: So, you‘re applying for a B2 visa, where is your final destination and what‘s the purpose of your trip to the United States? B: I‘m going he‘s just had a baby. He lives in Minneapolis. A: And how long do you you plan to remain in the United States? B: I‘ll be here for approximately three weeks. See, here‘s my return ticket for the twenty-sixth of March.8 / 72 A: And, who is sponsoring your trip? B: My brother, here, this is an invitation letter from him. I will stay with him and his family in their home. A: Alright, tell me about the ties you have to your home country. B: Well, I actually, I‘m leaving my dog there with my neighbors. I have a car at home, and oh, my job! I‘m employed by Tornel as an engineer. Actually, I only have three weeks‘ vacation, so I have to go back to work at the end of March. A: And what evidence do you have that you arefinancially independent? B: Well, I do have
like I said, I own a house, and see, here‘s a bank statement showing my investments, and my bank balance. A: I‘m sorry, sir, we cannot grant you a B2 visa at this time, instead, you are granted a resident visa! Congratulations, you are the millionth person to apply for a visa! You win! Congratulations!is a firefighter, it‘s not like he can just leave someone in a burning building and meet me for dinner. I‘ve totally messed this up! B: You know what, Veronica, I think you should make the first step. I‘m sure he‘ll forgive you... A: No, this is not gonna happen! I... I‘ve ruinedeverything.... B: Hey... do you hear something? Guess what? It‘s your lovely firefighter! C: When I had you, I treated you bad and wrong dear. And since, since you went away, don‘t you know I sit around with my head hanging down and I wonder who‘s loving you.Elementary\Uppe\Intermediate\EmergencyRoom (D046)A: Help! Are you a doctor? My poor little Frankie has stopped breathing! Oh my gosh, Help me! I tried to perform CPR, but I just dont know if I could get any air into his lungs! Oh, Frankie! B: Ellen, get him hooked up to a monitor! Someone page Dr. Howser. Get the patient to hold still, I cant get a pulse! Okay, hes on the monitor. His BP is falling! He‘s flatlining! A: NOOOOOO! Frankie! Nurse! Do something! B: Someone get her out of here! Get me the defibrillator. Okay, clear! Again! Clear! Come on! dammit! I‘m not letting you go! Clear! I‘ve got a pulse! C: Okay, whats happening? B: The patient is in acute respiratory failure, I think were going to have to intubate! C: Alright! Tubes in! Bag him! Someone give him 10 cc‘s of adrenaline! Lets go, people move, move! A: Doctor, oh, thank god! How is he? B: We managed to stabilize Frankie, but hes not
hes still in critical condition. Were moving him to intensive care, but& A: Doctor, just do whatever it takes. I just want my little Frankie to be okay. I couldnt imagine life without my little hamster!Elementary \ Small Talk (B0044)A: Morning. B: Hi there Mr. Anderson! How are you on this fine morning? A: Fine, thank you. B: It sure is cold this morning, isn‘t it? I barely even get out of bed! A: Yeah. It‘s pretty cold, alright. B: Did you catch the news this morning? I heard that there was a fire on Byron Street. A: No, I didn‘t hear about that. B: Did you happen to watch the football game last night? The Patriots scored in the last minute! A: No, I don‘t like football. B: Oh. . . By the way, I saw you with your daughter at the office Christmas party. She is really beautiful! A: She‘s my wife! Oh, here‘s my floor! Nice talking to you. Goodbye. B: Sir this is the 56th floor! We are on the 70th! A: That‘s okay, I‘ll take the stairs!Elementary\Intermediate\I’m Sorry I love You IV ( C0045)A: ... so, I said, ‖let‘s take a break .‖ And since that night, I‘ve been waiting for him to call, but I still haven‘t heard from him. You don‘t think he‘s seeing someone else, do you? B: Come on, don‘t be so dramatic! I‘m sure everything is going to work out just fine. A: You think so? Oh, no! How can he do this to me? I‘m sure he‘s cheating on me! Why else wouldn‘t he call? B: But, you two are on a break. Theoretically he can do whatever he likes. A: He‘s the love of my life! I‘ve really messed this up. B: Come on, hon. Pull yourself together. It‘s going to be alright. A: But I... I still love him! And it‘s all my fault! I can‘t believe how immature and selfish I was being. I mean, heElementary \ Advanced \ Just In Time Strategy (E0 047)A: I called this meeting today in order to discuss our manufacturing plan. As I‘m sure you‘re all aware, with the credit crunch, and the global financial crisis, we‘re obligated to look for more cost efficient ways of producing our goods. We don‘t want to have to be looking at redundancies. So, we‘ve outlined a brief plan to implement the just-in-time philosophy. B: We have two basic points that we want to focus on. First of all, we want to reduce our lead time. C: Why would want to do that? I think this is not an area that really needs to be worked on. B: Well, we want to reduce production and delivery lead timesfor better overall efficiency. A: Right, production lead times can be reduced by moving work stations closer together, reducing queue length, like9 / 72 for example, reducing the number of jobs waiting to be processed at a given machine, and improving the coordination and cooperation between successive processes. Delivery lead times can be reduced through close cooperation with suppliers, possibly by inducing suppliers to locate closer to the factory or working with a faster shipping company. C: I see& That makes sense. B: The second point is that we want to require supplier quality assurance and implement a zero defects quality program. We currently have far too many errors that lead to defective items and therefore, they must be eliminated. A quality control at the source program must be implemented to give workers the personal responsibility for the quality of the work they do, and the authority to stop production when something goes wrong. C: I‘m with you on this one. Its essential that we we‘ve got to force our suppliers to reduce their mistakes. A: Exactly. Well, let‘s look at how we‘re going to put this plan into action. First...(fade out)B: No can do... sorry. A: Fine then! Would you mind giving me 100 bucks? B: No way! A: That‘s so unfair!Elementary \ Daily Life \ New Guy In Town III (C00 50)A: Please make yourselves at home. Let me take your coats. Di I hope you brought your appetite B: Your house is lovely, Armand! Very interesting decor...very...Gothic. C: I think it‘s amazing! You have such good taste, Armand. I‘m thinking of re- maybe you could give me a few pointers? A: It would be my pleasure. Please have a seat. Can I offer you a glass of wine? C: We would love some! A: Here you are. A very special merlot brought directly from my home country. It has a unique ingredient which gives it a pleasant aroma and superior flavor. C: Mmm... it‘s delicious! B: It‘s a bit bitter for my taste... almost tastes like... like... C: Ellen! Ellen! Are you okay? A: Did she pass out? C: Yeah... A: I hope that you didn‘t poison her drink too much! You‘ll ruin our meal!Elementary \ Intermediate \ Carnival in Rio! (C004 8)A: I can‘t believe we‘re here! Carnival in Rio! Seriously, this is like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Can you believe it? We‘re here at the biggest party in the world! B: I know! We‘re so lucky that we found tickets for the Sambadrome! Good thing we found that ticket scalper. A: Look! It‘s starting! Wow, this is amazing! Look at how many dancers there are. Oh my gosh! The costumes are so colorful! This is so cool! B: It says here that the school that is dancing now is one of the oldest and most prestigious samba schools in Rio. A: No kidding! Look at them, they‘re amazing! Look at that girl on the top of that float! She must be the carnival queen! Move over there so I can get a picture of you! B: Ok. Hurry up take the picture! C: join us! come and dance! B: Oh really.... no I can‘t. No really, I don‘t know how to dance! Honey I‘ll see you later! A: Patrick! Don‘t just leave me here!Elementary \ The Weekend \ What a Bargain! (C0 051)A: Hello. May I help you? B: Yeah, this dress is really nice! How much is it? A: That one is one hundred and fifty dollars. B: One hundred and fifty dollars? What about this other one over here? A: That‘s one hundred and forty dollars. B: Hmm...that‘s a bit out of my price range. Can you give me a better deal? A: This is an exclusive design by DaMarco! It‘s a bargain at that price. B: Well, I don‘t know. I think I‘ll shop around. A: Okay, okay, how about one hundred dollars? B: That‘s still more than I wanted to spend. What if I take both dresses? A: Okay, I can give you a special discount, just because you seem like a nice person. One hundred and ninety dollars for both. B: I don‘t know... It‘s still a bit pricey.... Thanks anyway. A: Okay, my final price! One hundred dollars for both! That‘s two for the price of one. That‘s my last offer! B: Great! You‘ve got a deal!Elementary \ Daily Life \ Daddy Please! (C0049)A: Hey daddy! Y I like your tie! By the way, I was wondering can I& B: NO! A: I havent even told you what it is yet! B: Okay, okay, what do you want? A: Do you think I could borrow the car? I‘m going to a concert tonight. B: Um.. I don‘t think so. I need the car tonight to pick up your mother. A: Ugg! I told you about it last week! Smelly Toes is playing, and Eric asked if I would go with him! B: Whos this Eric guy? A: Duh! Hes like the hottest and most popular guy at school! Come on, dad! Please!Elementary \ Daily Life \ Pizza Delivary (C0052)A: Good evening, Pizza House. This is Marty speaking. May I take your order?10 / 72 B: Um yes& Id like a medium pizza with pepperoni, olives, and extra cheese. A: We have a two-for-one special on large pizzas. Would you like a large pizza instead? B: Sure, that sounds good. A: Great! Would you like your second pizza to be the same as the first? B: No, make the second one with ham, pineapple and green peppers. Oh, and make it thin crust. A: Okay, thin crust. Your total is $21.50 and your order will arrive in thirty minutes or it‘s free! B: Perfect. Thank you. Bye.. A: Sir, wait!! I need your address!Elementary \ Intermediate \ Hockey (C0055)A: Hello everyone! I‘m Rick Fields, and here with me is Bob Copeland. B: Howdy folks, and welcome to today‘s game! You know, Rick, today is a key game between Russia and Canada. As you know, the winner will move on to the finals. A: That‘s right, and it looks like we‘re just about ready to start the match. The ref is calling the players for the face-off... and here we go! The Russians win possession and immediately set up their attack! Federov gets checked hard into the boards! B: Maurice Richard has the puck now, and passes it to the center. He shoots! Wow what a save by the goalie! A: Alright, the puck is back in play now. Pavel Bure is on a breakaway! He is flying down the ice! The defenders can‘t keep up! Slap shot! He scores B: What an amazing goal!Elementary \ The Weekend \ Head Chef (C0053)A: ...Right away sir, your order will be ready shortly. Jean Pierre, we have another special for table seven! B: I‘m working as fast as I can! We‘re really in the weeds! Where is my sous chef? Luc! I need you to peel more potatoes. Marie, chop some onions and carrots for the stew. A: Jean Pierre another special! We‘re really packed tonight! We‘re running low on wine. Is there any left in the cellar? C: Sorry I‘m late, everyone. Wow, we are doing really well tonight! B: Harry, stop talking and get over here I need this sauce stirred and the fish needs to be butchered and buttered. C: Ok, I‘m on it! A: Jean Pierre, table seven has requested to see the chef! I think they are food critics from Cuisine MagazineElementary\Daily Life \ Planning a Bank Robbery ( C0056)A: All right, so this is what we are going to do. I‘ve carefully mapped this out, so don‘t screw it up. Mr. Rabbit, you and Mr. Fox will go into the bank wearing these uniforms. We managed to get replicas of the one the guards wear when they pick up the money. B: Got it. C: No problem, boss. A: When you get inside, tell them that you are filling in for Carl and Tom, and say that they are on another route today. Don‘t lose your cool. Just act natural. B: What if they want to call and confirm? A: You let him. C: What!? A: Dont worry, we have the phones tapped, so the call will be patched through to me, and Ill pretend to be the transport company. B: Ha ha, you are so clever boss! A: Okay, shut up. Only take as much money as you can fit in these bags. Dont get greedy! Are you ready? Let‘s go.Elementary\Intermediate\I’m Sorry I Love You V ( C0054)A: Honey, of course I forgive you! I love you so much! I‘ve really missed you. I was wrong to get upset over nothing. B: I‘m sorry I haven‘t called or anything, but right after you decided you wanted a break, I was called up north to put out some major forest fires! I was in the middle of nowhere, working day and night, trying to prevent the blaze from spreading! It was pretty intense. A: Oh, honey, I‘m glad you‘re okay! But I have some exciting news... I think I‘m pregnant! B: Really? Wow, that‘s amazing! This is great news! I‘ve always wanted to be a father! We‘ll go to the doctor first thing in the morning! C: We have your test results back and, indeed, you are pregnant. Let‘s see here... everything seems to be in order. Your approximate due date is October twenty-seventh two thousand and nine, so that means that the baby was conceived on February third, two thousand and nine. B: Are you sure? Are these things accurate? C: Well, yes sir, they are. A: What‘s wrong? Why are you asking these questions? B: This baby isn‘t mine! I was away the first week of February at a training seminar! A: I... I... no, it can‘t be...Elementary \ The Office \ Malfunction (C0057)A: Hey Carl, can you make a copy of this contract for me please? When you have it ready, send it out ASAP to our subbranch. B: Sure! Um... I think I broke this thing. Maxine, can you help me out here? I‘m not really a tech guy. C: Yeah, sure. I think it‘s just out of toner. You can go use the other one upstairs. On your way up, can you fax this while I try and fix this thing? B: Sure! Dammit! Everything in this office seems to be breaking down! Never mind. I‘ll send this stupid fax later. Oh great! Is someone playing a practical joke on me? This is ridiculous! D: The elevator has some sort of malfunction. Just take the stairs dude. What floor are you going to? B: I have to go up fifteen floors! Never mind. Made it!11 / 72 There is the copier!not?Elementary \ Daily Life \ This Is Your Captain Spea king (C0058)A: And the next thing you know, we‘re running towards the... Oh...did you feel that? B: Yeah, don‘ we‘re just going through a bit of turbulence. C: Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. It looks like we‘ve hit a patch of rough air, so we‘re going to have a bit of a bumpy ride for the next several minutes, and... A: This why I hate flying... Oh! C: At this time, I‘d like to remind all of our passengers to fasten their seat beltsand remain seated until the fasten seat belt sign is turned off. Please ensure that all cabin baggageis carefully stowed under the seat in front of you. I‘ll be back back to update you in a minute. A: Did you hear that? Brent! B: Don‘t worry about it. This is totally normal. It happens all the C: Ah, ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain again. We‘ve got quite a large patch of rough air ahead of us, so for your safety, we will be suspending in-flight service. I would ask all in-flight crew to return to their seats at this time. I would also like to ask that all our passengers refrain from using the lavatory until the seat belt sign has been switched off We can expect...Elementary\ Intermediate \ New Guy in Town IV ( C0060)A: All right, drag her over here, and help me tie her up. B: I can‘t believe she fell for it! She is a lot more gullible than I thought! A: Well, you gotta admit, my acting was brilliant! B: Whatever. I was the one that convinced her to come. Look, she‘s waking up! C: What‘s going on? Ellen? What are you doing? A: The cat‘s out of the bag, you witch! You can stop pretending, now! B: Yeah Lois , we know who you are! Now, we want some answers! Why are you here? C: Fools! You don‘t know who you‘re dealing with! You can‘t stop me! B: Run!Elementary \ The Weekend \ Swim faster! (C0061)A: This is such a beautiful day! Great for sailing! B: It sure is! The water looks so nice! Anchor the boat for a little while. I‘m going to take a dip. A: Why are you doggy-paddling? I taught you how to swim! Do your breast stroke! B: I get too tired! I‘ll just backstroke, it‘s easier! A: Try kicking your legs more. That‘s good. Don‘t go out too far! B: It‘s Jump in! A: Kathy! Get back here! I see a shark! B: Ahhhh!!!! Help me! Help! Bring the boat closer! The shark is coming straight towards me! A: It‘s right under you! Kathy!!!!!Elementary \ Advanced \ Job Interview I (E0059)A: Okay, so let‘s go over everything one more time. I really want you to get this job! B: I know! It‘s an amazing growth opportunity! They‘re true industry leaders, and it would be so interesting to be part of an organization that is the undisputed leader in business process platform development. A: So, let‘s see, you did your research on the company, right? B: Well, I visited their website and read up on what they do. They‘re an IT service company that offers comprehensive business solutions for large corporations. They provide services such as CRM development, and they also offer customdesigned applications. A: So what would your role in the company? B: Well, the position is for an account manager. That basically means that I would be the link between our and our development team. A: Sounds good, and so, why do you want to work with them? B: Well, as I said they‘re the industry leaders, they have a really great growth strategy, amazing development opportunities for employees, and it seems like they have strong corporate governance. They‘re all about helping companies grow and unleashing potential. I guess their core values and mission really resonated with me. Oh, and they offer six weeks‘ vacation, stock options and bonuses... I‘m totally going to cash in on that. A: You idiot! Don‘t say that! Do you want this job, orElementary \ The Office \ Job Interview II (C0062)A: Thanks for coming in today, did you have any trouble finding us? Please take a seat. B: Thank you. A: So, let‘ tell me a bit about your educational background. B: Sure! Well, I graduated with honors from Chesterton University with a major in Business Administration, with a specialization in Information Management, and I minored in psychology. I chose this course of study for two reasons: I wanted to gain some practical, marketable skills, which the information management track provided, and I also feel that interpersonal skills are essential for professional success, hence the minor in psychology. A: Interesting. And, your postgraduate studies? B: Well, I am really passionate about consumer behavior, so I pursued a master‘s in that area. I also strive to keep my professional skills current, so I continuously attend seminars and conferences related management and customer service. A: Very good. Now, tell me a little bit about your work12 / 72 experience. I see here that you previously worked at Oracle. B: Yeah, I worked as their customer support manager, which brought me a breadth of experience in both client care, and process management. I supervised and coordinated the customer support team as well as implemented new strategies to achieve better customer satisfaction. A: Interesting... B: Yes, in this position I was able to make some pretty significant contributions to the overall success of the company. With the different initiatives that we implemented, we lowered our churn rate to about five percent, which had a direct impact on revenue.Elementary \ The Office \ Job Interview III (C0065)A: Very good. Now, I have a couple of final questions. B: I hope they‘re not too hard! A: Well, why should we hire you? B: I think that I would be a perfect fit in this company. I have a unique combination of strong technical acumen, and out you know, I excel at building strong, long-term customer relationships. For example, when I headed the customer support department in my previous company, our team solved about seventy percent of our customers‘ problems. I decided that we needed better information and technical preparation on our products, so after I implemented a series of training sessions in coordination with our technical department, we were able to solve ninety percent of our customers‘ issues. Given the opportunity, I could bring this kind of success to this company. A: Impressive! So, what would you consider to be your greatest weakness? B: To be honest, I struggle with organization and time management. Punctuality has never been a strength of mine. I find it hard to organize my time efficiently. I have actually addressed this weakness recently, by attending a workshop on efficient time management. It helped me a lot, by providing me with great insights on how to get organized and use my time efficiently, so I think I‘m getting better now. A: Great... Well, let me tell you that I am very pleased with this interview. We are short-listing our candidates this week, and next week we will inform our short listed candidates of the day and time for a second interview with our CEO. B: Great, thanks a lot! I hope to hear from you! Good bye.Elementary \ The Office \ Receptionist (C0063)A: Good afternoon. May I help you? B: Yes, I‘m here to see Joanna Stevens. I have an appointment at four. A: Certainly, may I take your name? I‘ll let her know you‘ve arrived. B: Sure, it‘s Josh O‘Neil. A: Ms. Stevens will be with you momentarily. Can I offer you something to drink? B: Yes, a coffee would be nice, thank you. A: Here you are. Ms. Stevens is ready for you now. I‘ll show you to her office, right this way. A: Just watch your step here...Elementary \ Daily Life \ I’m Sorry I Love You VI (C 0064)A: This is ridiculous! I can‘t believe you‘ve been sleeping with someone else! How could you do this! You know what? I‘m out of here! B: Wait! Doctor how is this possible? I haven‘t cheated on my boyfriend! C: I have something to confess... I‘m sorry Veronica, I lied. B: Wait... what? What do do you mean? C: I lied. You aren‘ there‘s no bun in the oven. I was just so overwhelmed with jealousy that I couldn‘t help myself. Veronica I love you! B: What are you talking about!!! Who are you? C: It‘s me! Daniel, don‘t you remember me? From high school. I sat behind you every day in class! I used to go to every football game and watch you in the cheerleading squad! B: You are insane! We never even spoke! Why did you lie like that to my boyfriend? C: Because Veronica... It‘s not fair! I I have since the first day we met! Everything was going fine until that jerk came into the picture and ruined everything! I went to med school and became a doctor for you! You always said how you wanted to marry a doctor! You will be mine now... one way or another... A: I heard everything, you lying bastard! Get your hands off her!Elementary \ The Office \ Calling The Office (C006 6)A: Ello-hay, Aniel-day eaking-spay, ow-hay ay-may I elp-hay ou-yay B: Ay-hay, Aniel-day, Ulie-jay ere-hay A: Ay-hay, Ulie-jay, ow-hay are ou-yay? B: Actually, Im eeling-fay ite-quay ill otday-tay. A: Im orry-say oo-tay ear-hay, at-they. ut-way is ong-wray? B: I ink-thay Im oming-cay own-day ith-way uhthey oo-flay. I ave-hay a eadache-hay, a ore-say oat-thray and Im eeling-fay ighly-slay everishfay. A: I ee-say. O-say oure-yay alling-cay in ick-say? B: Es-yay, I uz-way oping-hay oo-tay ake-tay uh-they ay-day off oo-tay eecover-ray. A: Ok, en-they. Ay-tray and et-gay ome-say est-ray.Elementary \ The Weekend \ Soccer (C0067)A: Welcome back, soccer fans. My name is Rick Fields and, as always, I am joined by my commentating wingman, Bob Copeland. B: And we‘re on the brink of soccer history today, as13 / 72 Ecuador and Brazil are tied one-one as we begin the second half of the 2022 World Cup! A: The ref calls the players for the kick off, and here we go! Ecuador quickly passes the ball to the midfield, but, ohhh, it‘s out of bounds. B: That will be a throw in for Brazil. Adriano has the ball and makes a long pass to Robinho, and the ref has called him offside. A: No question about it. He was offside by a mile! We have a goal kick for Ecuador. Edison Mendez heads it to Valenica, he shoots! Deflected by the defender and we have a corner kick. B: Delgado takes the corner. We have a foul! Oh no, Dida, the goalkeeper, has fouled the Ecuadorian player! He gets a yellow card and that will be a penalty kick! A: This is the perfect opportunity for Ecuador to get ahead in this match and become World Champions! He gets ready for the kick. He shoots! and he...Elementary\AdvancedMedia\Buying Underwear ( F0070)A: T I hate buying lingerie. Okay, just find something and get out of here. Alright, these are fine. Oh, no, don‘t come over here, don‘t come over here. B: You look a little lost, can I help you? A: Um, I‘m just having a look around. It‘s my girlfriend‘s birthday tomorrow. Im trying to find her something. B: Well, you can‘t give her granny panties. Have you thought about getting her some sleepwear? We‘ve got these lovely, silky nighties. Or, how about a nice panty-and and-bra set. Look, here‘s a nice satin push-up bra, and you can choose a few different styles of undies to go with it. A: Sure that‘s fine. A: This is so awkward...what ones do I pick? What size is she? B: Well, do you want a thong, some bikini briefs, maybe this nice pair of lacy boy shorts? A: Just pick something and get the hell out of here. A: Um, Ill go with these two. A: T I just want to get this over with. She better thank me for this... Here you are, sir. I‘m sure she‘ll enjoy them. B: Finally! A: I‘m sorry, sir. I‘m going to have to take a look inside your bag.Elementary\TheOffice\Ground breaking Research (C068)A: We‘ve been over this a thousand times. The data is irrefutable! Look, we‘ve done extensive research, built studies, and read the literature, and there is conclusive evidence to support my theory! B: Horowitz, I beg to differ. Even in your most recent study, the investigative approach was flawed! You know as well as I do that the collection of data was not systematic, and there is a large margin of error. To draw a definitive conclusion based on that data would be misleading A: That is preposterous! B: You are trying to single-handedly solve one of the world‘s greatest mysteries, and yet you are oblivious to the fact that you are wrong! A: I am not wrong! The chicken came first! B: No! The egg came first!Elementary \ The Weekend \ Happy Hour (C0071)A: Hey man, what do you have on tap? B: Heineken and Budweiser. We have a two-for-one happy hour special. A: Cool, gimme a pint of Heineken and half a pint of Bud. B: Okay...A pint of Heineken and and half a pint of bud for table six! And what about some appetizers? A: Sure! Let‘s have some nachos and mozzarella sticks. B: Okay. That‘ll be 80 bucks. A: Wait... What!Elementary \ Daily Life \ How Would You Like You r Eggs? (C0069)A: Wow, you‘re up early today! What‘s for breakfast? B: Well, I felt like baking, so I made some muffins. A: Smells good! I‘ll make some coffee. Do you want me to make you some eggs? B: Sure, Ill take mine, sunny side up. A: Eww, I don‘t know how you can eat your eggs like that! Ever since I was small, I‘ve had eggs and soldiers. B: You know, my dad had scrambled eggs eggs every morning for twenty years. It drove my mom crazy! A: You know what really drives me crazy? When I ask for soft boiled eggs, and they overcook them, so they come out hard boiled! How can you dip your toast into a hard boiled egg? B: You‘re so picky sometimes. A: Here you go, honey, fried eggs. B: Dammit! I asked for sunny side up! How many times do I have to tell you.Elementary \ Intermediate \ You Are Fired! (C007 2)A: Hi Isabel! You wanted to see me? B: Yes Anthony, come on in. Have a seat. A: Is everything okay? You seem a bit preoccupied. B: Well, Anthony, this is not going to be an easy conversation}

我要回帖

更多关于 englishpod主持人文本 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信