The Double-Seventh Day refers to the seventh day of the seventh month to dayon the Chinese lunar cal

The Seventh Month
The Seventh MonthWhat month of the year is Tishrei? September?
Contact Editor
Prof. George Jochnowitz,
JewishHolidayCalendar.jpgIsrael News Photo: (file)
Prof. George JochnowitzThe writer is professor emeritus of linguistics whose specialty is Jewish languages, in particular the dialects of the Jews of Italy and southern France.
He taught for many years at the College of Staten Island, CUNY, and was an exchange professor at Hebei University in Baoding, China.
His varied interests include politics, music, the Bible, and humanity itself - and his wife, two daughters and grandson.
&In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you are to hav do not do any k it is a day of blowing the shofar for you& (Numbers 29:1). Those are the words in the Torah that tell us to observe Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year. Something is missing from that verse, since there is nothing about a new year. Besides, does a year start on the first day of the seventh month? Apparently it does.Passover begins in the month of Nissan, but according to the Book of Deuteronomy (Devarim) it begins in the month of Aviv.&&Aviv is Hebrew for &spring,& and it occurs in the name of the city Tel Aviv (hill of spring). Nissan is the seventh month of the Hebrew calendar nowadays, as we count the months beginning with Rosh Hashana. But if Rosh Hashana takes place in the seventh month, Tishrei, then Aviv&now called Nissan&is the first month, as it is in the Bible. (In the Talmud, Nissan is called the &King's New Year&, while Tishrei is called the &New Year for [beginning] Shmitta and Jubilees&)The Bet Alfa synagogue in Israel was built in the sixth century of the Common Era. One of its mosaics has a circular panel with the signs of the Zodiac. There are zodiac representations in synagogues all over the world, including the Eldridge Street Synagogue, now a museum, in New York City. I once went to a synagogue in Tel Aviv and saw the Zodiac symbols there. I asked a congregant, who told me they represented the twelve tribes. Since there are twelve months and twelve tribes, turning the symbols from Zodiac signs into representations of the tribes is a way to reconcile the symbols with Jewish tradition.The Zodiac was part of the Babylonian calendar, and so Jewish traditions involving these symbols may have been borrowed during the Babylonian exile. However, the Babylonian year began with the month of Nissan.The language spoken on the island of Sardinia is usually considered a separate language and not a dialect of Italian. The name of the month of September in Sardinian is&caputanni&caput&means &head& and&anni&means &of the year.& Thus,&caputanni&is a perfect, direct translation of Rosh Hashana, &head of the year.& There is a possibility that the name reflects a pre-Roman calendar that began the year with September. It is also possible, and probably more likely, that the name goes back to the year 19 C.E., when the Jews were expelled from Rome, and 4,000 young Jews were condemned to forced labor in Sardinia. Twelve years later, the order was rescinded, and so Jews had the choice of going back to Rome or remaining where they were. A Jewish population remained in Sardinian until 1492, when the island belonged to Spain and Jews were expelled. There is a second word in Sardinian that appears to be of Jewish origin,&cenabura, pronounced [kenabura], meaning &Friday,& and coming from&cena&(feast) and&pura&(pure), suggesting the Sabbath meal. These words remained in Sardinian after the expulsion of the Jews.And then there&s September, from Latin&septem&meaning &seven,& with what is probably an adjectival suffix&&ber.&September, October, November and December mean 7th, 8th, 9th&and 10th. Yet they are the 9th, 10th, 11th&and 12th&months of the year. In the days before the Roman Republic existed, however, there were 51 winter days that were not part of any month. Around the year 713 B.C.E., King Numa Pompilius introduced two months into the winter season, Januarius and Februarius,&&and designated them as the first two months of the year. Julius Caesar renamed what had been the fifth month, Quintilis, after himself, calling it Julius (July in English). Augustus Caesar named the sixth month, Sextilis, after himself, calling it Augustus (August in English).And so the Jewish calendar begins with a month originally called the seventh, which occurs in September, a name meaning &seventh.&Shana tova!阅读理解. Chinese Valentine's Day is on the seventh day of the seventh month of the lunar calendar . It is a traditional festival for Chinese people. It comes from a romantic ancient Chinese story. Niu L 题目和参考答案——精英家教网——
成绩波动大?难提高?听顶级名师视频辅导,
& 题目详情
阅读理解。&&&& Chinese Valentine's Day (情人节) is on the seventh day of the seventh month of the lunar calendar (阴历). It is a traditional festival for Chinese people. It comes from a romantic ancient Chinese story. Niu Lang and Zhi Nv, two lovers who got separated by the Queen Mother of the Western Heavens, can only meet that night. Thanks to this touching story, Chinese people regardpeople also call it "Qixi".&&&& Meanwhile, February 14 of the solar calendar is European Valentine's Day. It is related to a moving story too. The story goes that, there was a cruel king in ancient Rome whose name was Claudius. He forbade the youth to get married during the wars, which made the lovers angry. There was a monk named Valentine who was very angry at the rule and the king. One day a couple of lovers came to his temple to ask for help to get married. Valentine helped them. Later, many couples got married with Valentine's help. But Claudius knew it soon. He put Valentine to death cruelly. And that day was February 14, the year of 270.&&&& Compared with European Valentine's Day, Qixi is less popular in China though it is a traditional Chinese festival. There may be many reasons. First of all, the lunar calendar is not easy to remember for most of the young people who are used to the solar calendar. Secondly, to many businessmen, European Valentine's Day is not only a festival for lovers but also a good chance to make money. Most of the flower shops can sell their flowers at a good price on European Valentine's Day while the business drops in Qixi, because on European Valentine's Day lovers know more about how to enjoy it. They exchange cards, flowers and go out to date. But most of them don't know the culture of& Chinese Valentine's Day or how to celebrate it.1. This text is mainly about __________.A. two moving romantic storiesB. something about Qixi and Valentine's DayC. why young people prefer Western festivalsD. how Qixi is different from European Valentine's Day2. Qixi is less popular than European Valentine's Day because __________.A. businessmen think that European Valentine's Day is more important than QixiB. the government encourages people to celebrate foreign festivalsC. the costs on Qixi are higher than those on European Valentine's DayD. the lunar calendar is not easy to remember and people don't know how to enjoy Qixi3. Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the text?A. Lovers exchange cards, flowers and go out to date on Qixi.B. Valentine helped a couple of lovers kill the cruel king.C. European Valentine's Day was named after a person.D. Old people in China dislike young people celebrating European Valentine's Day.4. If the text goes on, what will probably be talked about in the next paragraph?A. Young people should fight for love and happiness.B. Chinese people should treasure traditional Chinese festivals more.C. Qixi will also become an international festival in the future.D. Chinese people should stop celebrating European Valentine's Day.
请在这里输入关键词:
科目:高中英语
阅读理解训练
  The Channel Islands are a group of British - owned islands lying in the English Channel (海峡) , 10 to 30 miles off the French coast, and 70 to 90 miles from the English coast. There are ten islands with a total land area of 75 square miles and a total population of 123, 000. The three largest islands, Jersey, Guernsey, and Alderney, have long been known for the fine breeds (品种) of cattle that are raised on them and named after them.
  In earliest known history the islands were considered part of Normandy, which was part of France, but the ruler of Normandy became king of England in 1066, and from then on the islands were looked upon as British land. English control was unbroken until World War Ⅱ, when the Germans held the islands for five years.
  Although people on the islands speak both languages and they are considered English, their customs are more French than English.
1.Which of the following maps gives the right position of the Channel Islands? Br = Britain Fr = France Ch = Channel Islands
2.Jersey, Guernsey, and. Alderney breeds of cattle are ________.
A.considered best in England
B.named after their birthplaces
C.brought to the islands by the Germans
D.raised on well - known farms by the French
3.The Channel Islands have been continuously under British rule since ________.
A.earliest known history
D.the end of World War Ⅱ
4.Why do people on the Channel Islands follow French way of living?
A.Their islands used to be part of France.
B.Their islands are often visited by the French.
C.They came from France .
D.They speak French.
来源:英语教研室
Before World War Ⅱ Chicago, Illinois,
standing at the southern end of huge Lake Michigan, had the reputation()of being one of the toughest, most lawless
and corrupt() cities in the world. It earned
its ill reputation largely from those who sold strong wine during the days of
1919 to 1933, when a law forbade Americans to make or sell strong wine in any
Chicagoans have a great pride in their city.
They say it is of great importance to the nation than New York. It is the
center of American commerce(
) and transportation. O’Hare Airport is the busiest airport in the world. 44
million passengers pass through it every year, and there are 2000 take offs and
landings every day.
Chicago is also a great inland port().It can send goods by oceangoing ships all
the way to Europe-via the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence Seaway. It can
send goods by barge(),through water-way and canals, to
the Mississippi and down it to the Gulf of Mexico.
1.Which of the following diagrams()
gives the correct relationship between Lake Michigan, Chicago and Illinois?
L.M.=Lake Michigan Ch= Chicago Ill=Illinois
2.According to the passage, Chicago is more important than New York
because ______.
A. Chicagoans love their city more than others
B.Chicago is the center of America
C. Chicago is an inland port and has O’Hare
D. Chicago lies at the southern end of Lake
3.44 million passengers each year and 2 000 take-offs and landings
prove that O’Hare Airport is ______.
A. the only one in America
B.the biggest one in the world
C.the busiest one in the world
D.the most well-known one in the world
4.If we carry goods to Chicago from Mexico, we probably go through
A. the Gulf of Mexico—
Mississippi—Canals—Waterway—Chicago
B.the Gulf Mexico—Mississippi—the Great
Lake—Chicago
C.Lake Michigan—the Saint Lawrence Seaway—the
Gulf of Mexico
D.Waterway—Canals—Mississippi—the Gulf of
Before World War Ⅱ Chicago, Illinois,
standing at the southern end of huge Lake Michigan, had the reputation()of being one of the toughest, most lawless
and corrupt() cities in the world. It earned
its ill reputation largely from those who sold strong wine during the days of
1919 to 1933, when a law forbade Americans to make or sell strong wine in any
Chicagoans have a great pride in their city.
They say it is of great importance to the nation than New York. It is the
center of American commerce(
) and transportation. O’Hare Airport is the busiest airport in the world. 44
million passengers pass through it every year, and there are 2000 take offs and
landings every day.
Chicago is also a great inland port().It can send goods by oceangoing ships all
the way to Europe-via the Great Lakes and the Saint Lawrence Seaway. It can
send goods by barge(),through water-way and canals, to
the Mississippi and down it to the Gulf of Mexico.
1.Which of the following diagrams()
gives the correct relationship between Lake Michigan, Chicago and Illinois?
L.M.=Lake Michigan Ch= Chicago Ill=Illinois
2.According to the passage, Chicago is more important than New York
because ______.
A. Chicagoans love their city more than others
B.Chicago is the center of America
C. Chicago is an inland port and has O’Hare
D. Chicago lies at the southern end of Lake
3.44 million passengers each year and 2 000 take-offs and landings
prove that O’Hare Airport is ______.
A. the only one in America
B.the biggest one in the world
C.the busiest one in the world
D.the most well-known one in the world
4.If we carry goods to Chicago from Mexico, we probably go through
A. the Gulf of Mexico—
Mississippi—Canals—Waterway—Chicago
B.the Gulf Mexico—Mississippi—the Great
Lake—Chicago
C.Lake Michigan—the Saint Lawrence Seaway—the
Gulf of Mexico
D.Waterway—Canals—Mississippi—the Gulf of
来源:2010年普通高等学校招生全国统一考试、英语(全国一)
  There were samng children all the way.Clearly they knew at what time the train passed their homes and they made it their business to stand along the railway, were to complete strangers and cheer them up as they rushed towards Penage.Often whole families stood outside their homes and waved and smiled as if those on the trains were their favorite relatives.This is the simple village people of Malaysia.I warmoved.
  I had always traveled to Malaysia by plane or car, so this was the first time I was on a train.I did not partie relish the long train joumey and had brought along a dozen magazines to read and reread.I looked about the train.There was not one familiar I sighed and sat down to read my Economics
  It was not long before the train was across the Causeway and in Malaysia.Johore Baru was just another city like Singapore, so I was tired of looking at the crods of people as they hurried past.As we went beyond the city, I watchd the smaight rows of rubber trees and miles and miles of green.Then the first village came into sight.Immediately I came alive, I decided to wave back.
  From then on my joumey became interesting.I threw my magazine into the waste basket and decided to join in Malaysian life.Then everything came alive.The mountains seemed to speak to me.Even the trees were smiling.I stared t everything as if I was looking at it for the first time.
  The day passed fast and I even forgot to have my lunch until I felt hungry.I looked at my wat ch and was surprised that it was 3∶00 p. m.Soon the train pulled up at Butterwi I looked at the people all around me.They all looked beautiful.When my uncle arrive with, I threw my around thim to give him a(拥抱).I had never done this before.He seemed surprised and then his weather-beaten face warmed up with a huge smile.We walked arm in arm to his car.
  I looked forward to the return journey.
The author expected the train turp to be ________.
adventurous
What did the author remember most fondly of her train trip?
The trine dry country-people.
The mountains along the way.
The crowds of people in the streets.
The simple lunch served on the train.
Which of the following words can best take the place of the word“relish”in the second paragraph?
prepare for
Where was the writer going?
Johore Baru.
The Causeway.
Bunerworth.
Singapore.
What can we learn from the story?
Comfort in traveling by train.
Pleasure of living in the country.
Reading gives people delight.
Smiles brighten people up.
来源:2010年普通高等学校招生全国统一考试、英语(新课标全国卷)
  There were smiling children all the way.Clearly they knew at what time the train passed their homes and they made it their business to stand along the railway, were to complete strangers and cheer them up as they rushed towards Penage.Often whole families stood outside their homes and waved and smiled as if those on the trains were their favorite relatives.This is the simple village people of Malaysia.I was moved.
  I had always traveled to Malaysia by plane or car, so this was the first time I was on a train.I did not particularlf relish the long train joumey and had brought along a dozen magazines to read and reread.I looked about the train.There was not one familiar I sighed and sat down to read my Economics
  It was not long before the train was across the Causeway and in Malaysia.Johore Baru was just another city like Singapore, so I was tired of looking at the crowds of people as they hurried past.As we went beyond the city, I watched the straight rows of rubber trees and miles and miles of green.Then the first village came into sight.Immediately I came alive, I decided to wave back.
  From then on my joumey became imeresting.I threw my magazine into the waste basket and decided to join in Malaysian life.Then everything came alive.The mountains seemed to speak to me.Even the trees were smiling.I stared t everything as if I was looking at it for the first time.
  The day passed fast and I even forgot to have my lunch until I felt hungry.I looked at my wat ch and was surprised that it was 3∶00 p. m.Soon the train pulled up at Butterworth I looked at the people all around me.They all looked beautiful.When my uncle arrive with, I threw my around him to give him a warm hug.I had never done this before.He seemed surprised and then his weather-beaten face warmed up with a huge smile.We walked arm in arm to his car.
  I looked forward to the return journey.
The author expected the train trip to be ________.
adventurous
What did the author remember most fondly of her train trip?
The friendly country people.
The mountains along the way.
The crowds of people in the streets.
The simple lunch served on the train.
Which of the following words can best take the place of the word“relish”in the second paragraph?
prepare for
Where was the writer going?
Johore Baru.
The Causeway.
Bunerworth.
Singapore.
What can we learn from the story?
Comfort in traveling by train.
Pleasure of living in the country.
Reading gives people delight.
Smiles brighten people up.
精英家教网新版app上线啦!用app只需扫描书本条形码就能找到作业,家长给孩子检查作业更省心,同学们作业对答案更方便,扫描上方二维码立刻安装!
请输入姓名
请输入手机号又是一年一度的七夕情人节日(农历七月初七)本期分类内容→→ ?七夕节1分类词汇记忆法 是将相关主题的词汇放到一起 串成一线来记忆单词 是继词根记忆法的另一种迅速扩充词汇量的方法1~5七夕节: Featival / Chinese Valentine's Day七月初七:Double-Seventh Day & & & & & & (The Double-Seventh Day refers to the seventh day of the seventh month on the Chinese & & & & & & & & lunar calendar.)牛郎:cow
&/ Niu Lang织女: / Zhi Nv鹊桥: bridge6~8银河: the &Silver River / the Milky Way民间故事: Chinese folktales七夕节快乐:Wish you a very happy Chinese Valentine's Day木有情人的到这里来报道写上你希望的对象说不定月老就指定你啦~~~关注节目网址: (BBC: Bullet By Category & &35000:词汇数量) &(左侧订阅节目,右侧支持节目哦,每人最多点3下) 加入 I ENGLISH U 小组:the seventh day of the month
And it came to pass in the eleventh year, in the first month, in the seventh day of the month, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying
十一年正月初七日,耶和华的话临到我说
And this you are to do on the seventh day of the month for everyone who is in error and for the feeble -minded : you are to make the house free from sin.
本月初七日(七十士译本是七月初一日)也要为误犯罪的和愚蒙犯罪的如此行,为殿赎罪。
And this you are to do on the seventh day of the month for everyone who is in error and for the feeble -minded : you are to make the house free from sin.
本月初七日(七十经作七月初一日)也要为误犯罪的,和愚蒙犯罪的如此行,为殿赎罪。
In the end, they are permitted to meet just once a year, on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month.
VOA: special.
And amazed to the families, the two constellations come together in July of every year ,on the seventh day of the seventh month as the myth goes.
但让两家惊异的是这两个星座,每年7月份都会相聚,在7月7日。
$firstVoiceSent
- 来自原声例句
请问您想要如何调整此模块?
感谢您的反馈,我们会尽快进行适当修改!
请问您想要如何调整此模块?
感谢您的反馈,我们会尽快进行适当修改!}

我要回帖

更多关于 java day of month 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信