We also consulted withan engineer, who is from a highway construction company. 英法是否正确?

Engineering Expert Witness Listings - SEAK, Inc. Expert Witness Directory
Engineering Expert Witness Listings
Welcome to our Engineering expert directory. Browse the profiles below to find the right expert witness in Engineering for your case. Our SEAK Expert Witness Database is always free to search.
is The Expert Witness Training Company. We have trained thousands of expert witnesses, through our seminars, on-site corporate training, assisting retaining counsel to prepare their witnesses, and one-on-one training for individual experts. For additional information please visit
Featured Experts
Mechanical-Human Factors
Accidents-Chemical Safety
Warning-Labeling-HazCom
Unable to find the right expert?
For personalized assistance in locating an expert witness, please .
You can also find Engineering Expert Witnesses in:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , andEnglish Dictionary&&
&&&examples: 'day', 'get rid of', 'New York Bay'
&&&/ˈɛndʒənˈɪr/&&& Engineerverb(past & past part. engineered; pres. part. engineering)1.Design as an engineer.2.Plan and direct (a complex undertaking).&&Synonyms: , , , , .
Related searches:
dominio/p.gif" width=1 height=5>
Advanced search&&&&&Find words:Starting withEnding withContainingMatching a pattern&&
SynonymsAntonymsQuotesWords linked to&&
only single words
"Engineer" Quotes from Famous Books... off even for us to whom he came each time with a comparative freshness. And if it hadn't worn off for his public and for the confraternity, it was simply because as an engineer of literature he was inexhaustible. He had so perfected his machinery that the turning out of novels and of plays had become with him a sort of automatic habit, and if there was any falling off in ...& The Belfry & May Sinclair... this, for between Johannesburg and Pretoria this train met with one of the collisions so frequent on the Netherlands Railway. Only the engineer and a brakeman were killed, but the shock would certainly have been most disastrous ...& A Woman's Part in a Revolution & Natalie Harris Hammond... she continued, taking out a pinch of bayberry snuff, "I am left alone in the world. Alone, I say! why, I've got a daughter, but she is away out West. She is married to an engineer-man. And I've ...& Humorous Masterpieces from American Literature & Various... once more just above Dedisham, on the road between Guildford and Horsham, and keep it all the way to Pulborough, through Billingshurst, thus named, as I have said, like Billingsgate, after Belinus, Stane Street's engineer. At Pulborough we must cut across country to the camp by Hardham, over water meadows that are too often flooded, and thence, through other fields, arable and pasture, to the hostel on Bignor Hill, which once was Stane S passing on the right Mr. Tupper's farm and ...& Highways & Byways in Sussex & E.V. Lucas... Engineer with fondness for travel and inventions. Perhaps you will also write books on some new methods in heating houses&an oven and tu so also a tall man at his desk with pencils. ...& Cupology - How to Be Entertaining & Clara... back, and the others followed, keeping close to the ground. They reached the Japanese quarters, and were immediately, looked after and cared for. A few days afterwards the five Russians came on board the transport on which my friend was engineer. They were being taken as prisoners to J but the Japanese crew could not do enough for them in the way of tea and cigarettes and dressing their wounds, and they made quite a jolly party all together on deck. The Japanese officer was also on board, ...& The Healing of Nations and the Hidden Sources of Their Strife & Edward Carpenter... teacher than as an author, and that his knowledge of engineering was not bounded by mere theory alone, we get a clue to the eminently practical turn of mind which characterised his illustrious pupil. In 1844 Mr. Rankine commenced business as a civil engineer in Edinburgh. His residence in Edinburgh was unrelieved by any event worthy of being recorded in his biography, if we except a project, which he brought before the authorities and zealously promoted, for obtaining ...& Western Worthies - A Gallery of Biographical and Critical Sketches of West - of Scotland Celebrities & J. Stephen Jeans... service in every conceivable department of life, and winds up with an assurance that if we want anything in those departments connected with engineering,&such as mining, mapping, surveying, etc.,&he will serve us, bedad, for nothing, or next to it. We suspect Major MacBlarney to be a civil engineer suffering under the innocent hallucination that he ...& The Caxtons, Complete & Edward Bulwer-Lytton... all. Moreover, Collectivism draws a very subtle but very far-reaching distinction between the work of the labourer and of the man who has learned a craft. Unskilled labour in the eyes of the collectivist is simple labour, while the work of the craftsman, the mechanic, the engineer, the man of science, etc., is what Marx calls complex labour, and is entitled to a higher wage. But labourers and craftsmen, weavers and men of science, are all wage-servants of the State&"all officials," as was said lately, to ...& The Conquest of Bread & Peter Kropotkin... looking neither to the right nor to the left, they will run their heads against nature's stone walls, which are at least as formidable as man's. But let any one study the disposal of the ground, calculating the gradients and summit levels as if he were a railway-engineer for the time being&let him observe where the moss lies deep, and precipices rise too steep
and he will be very obtuse indeed, if he is not able to chalk out for himself precisely the best way to the top. It is a good general rule to keep by the side of a stream. That ...& Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, Volume 62, No. 382, October 1847 & Various... already well filled with monuments of British worthies and heroes of this and the last century. Of men distinguished in Literature, Art, and Science, there are buried here Dr. Johnson, Hallam the historian, Sir Joshua Reynolds the painter, Turner the painter, Rennie the engineer who built Waterloo Bridge, Sir William Jones, the great Oriental scholar, and Sir Astley Cooper, the great surgeon. There is also buried here, as he should be, Sir Christopher Wren himself. But those ...& The History of London & Walter Besant... a short halt where a negro engineer regiment was at work making the road passable. A most hospitable officer strolled up and asked if I wanted anything to eat, which when you are in the army may be classified with Goldberg's "foolish ...& War in the Garden of Eden & Kermit Roosevelt... hands and I am going to fill them where and how I can. I believe the time has come when the niggers can be of use to me&look what Turner did back in Virginia three years ago! If he'd had any real purpose he could have laid the country waste, but he hadn't brains enough to engineer a ...& The Prodigal Judge & Vaughan Kester... injustice. The prisoners were arrested in January, but the trial did not take place until the end of April. All were found guilty of high treason. Mr. Lionel Phillips, Colonel Rhodes (brother of Mr. Cecil Rhodes), George Farrar, and Mr. Hammond, the American engineer, were condemned to death, a sentence which was afterwards commuted to the payment of an enormous fine. The other prisoners were condemned to two years' imprisonment, with a fine of 2,000l. each. The ...& The War in South Africa - Its Cause and Conduct & Arthur Conan Doyle... pocket-book from his pocket, tore out a piece of paper, wrote on it his name, and gave it to me. I regret having forgotten that name. He was a working engineer. In order not to compromise him, I burnt this paper with many others on the Saturday morning, when I was on ...& The History of a Crime - The Testimony of an Eye-Witness & Victor Hugo... and number of stars, it occurred to me that I had been in a ghastly railroad wreck, and that the engine and cars following had picked out my right knee as a nice soft place to pile up on. There was a feeling of great relief when I looked around and saw that the engineer of that train, Mr. E. H. Coy, had stopped with the train, and I held the greatest hopes that neither the engine nor any one of the ten cars following would ...& Football Days - Memories of the Game and of the Men behind the Ball & William H. Edwards... rested wholly on a letter of recommendation to General Potier, by whom they were warmly welcomed. The general, who owned a large estate in the neighbourhood, where he cultivated a famous breed of Merino sheep, had formed a project for erecting mills upon the Dnieper. To carry it out he needed an engineer, and in M. Hommaire de Hell he found one. Straightway they proceeded to his estate at Kherson, and M. de Hell set to work on the necessary plans. While thus engaged, he conceived the idea of a scientific expedition to the Caspian Sea&a ...& Celebrated Women Travellers of the Nineteenth Century & W. H. Davenport Adams... schedule, there was billing to be done and contracts to execute, telegrams of notification to be sent the commission firm, and general instructions to the beef outfit. Joel and Sargent were to accompany the shipment, and on starting, while the engineer and conductor were comparing their running orders, Sargent called out from the rear ...& Wells Brothers & Andy Adams... is no calculation that an engineer can make as to the behavior of a girder under a strain, or an astronomer as to the recurrence of a comet, more certain than the calculation that under such circumstances we shall be dismembered unnecessarily in all directions by surgeons who believe the operations to be necessary solely ...& The Doctor's Dilemma: Preface on Doctors & George Bernard Shaw... are an engineer, Phil," added my passenger. "Morgan says you engineered the job of ...& Field and Forest - The Fortunes of a Farmer & Oliver Optic... distinguishing himself in the Company's service, and of procuring solid advantages to his family. Our views for him are these. We shall take the charge of his education at the Company's military schools, where he will be qualified for being a military engineer in the forces in India. In five years he will be sent out, and then he will only have to exert himself to get forward, to distinguish himself, and probably to enrich his family, for there are perhaps no other means by which wealth can be so ...& Principle and Practice - The Orphan Family & Harriet Martineau... camp on Medicine Creek, Colonel Brown sent for me, and ordered me to look up and map the country. I was detached as a topographical engineer, and this order relieved me from all company duty, and enabled me to go wherever I pleased, which was not a little gratifying to one ...& The Great Salt Lake Trail & Colonel Henry Inman... proposed to put down the wells and the town to pay the bill and run the risk of failure, the proposition would not have been entertained. Fortunately, Andrews & Co. offered to take the expense and risk of failure on their own shoulders. The city's chief engineer at the time, Robert Van Buren, seconded by Engineer Bergen, with the approval of Mayor Low and Commissioner Ropes, accepted ...& Buchanan's Journal of Man, November 1887 - Volume 1, Number 10 & Various... Cambridge, I had never heard of the valour of Prescott at Bunker's hill, nor the ingenuity of Knox and Waters in planning the celebrated works at Roxbury. We were told here that there were none in our camp who understood the business of an engineer, or any thing more than the manual exercise of the gun. This we had from great authority, and for want of more certain intelligence were obliged at least to be silent. There are many military geniuses at present unemployed and overlooked, who I hope, when the army is new modelled, ...& The Writings of Samuel Adams, vol. III. & Samuel Adams... the duke of C but, in consequence of a remonstrance from the clans, who declined leaving their families at the mercy of the king's garrison in Fort-William, he resolved previously to reduce that fortress, the siege of which was undertaken by brigadier Stapleton, an engineer in the F but the place was so vigorously maintained by captain Scot, that in the beginning of April they thought proper to relinquish the enterprise. The earl of Loudon had retired into ...& The History of England in Three Volumes, Vol.II. - From William and Mary to George II. & Tobias Smollett... companion, who took merely a sip of the weakest wine and water with them. The former engaged me in a discourse for full twenty miles on the probable advantages of Steam Carriages, which being merely problematical, I bore my part in with some credit, in spite of my totally un-engineer-like faculties. But when somewhere about Stanstead he put an unfortunate question to me as to the "probability of its turning out " and when I, who am still less of an agriculturist than a steam-philosopher, ...& The Works of Charles and Mary Lamb (Vol. 6) - Letters
& Charles and Mary Lamb... previous evening, in a heavy gale and
the motion of the vessel soon increased the leak to such a degree that the fires could not be kept burning. About ten o'clock she bore up off St. Abb's Head, the storm still raging. Soon after the engineer reported that the en the vessel it was raining heavily, and the fog was so dense that it was impossible to make out their situation. At length the appearance of breakers close to leeward, and the Farne lights just becoming ...& Thrilling Stories Of The Ocean & Marmaduke Park... Mr. Hope-Scott and Mr. R. Stephenson.&In 1852 Mr. Hope- Scott was associated with Mr. Robert Stephenson, the celebrated engineer, in making an important award upon certain questions in difference between the London and North-Western and North Staffordshire Railway Companies. This document, dated October 6, 1852, appears in the newspapers ...& Memoirs of James Robert Hope-Scott, Volume 2 & Robert Ornsby... number of these personages, fat, with remarkably red faces and large honeycombed noses. Not at all like the alert, athletic lads, a type of mechanical engineer, who have arisen as cabbies with the advent of taxis. What do they ...& Walking-Stick Papers & Robert Cortes Holliday... growing to depend on the bold gambler spirit of this woman, Nina San C I felt the need of her strong, profligate nature. She was of a queer breed and a queerer school. Her mother was the daughter of a Spanish engineer, and had been stolen by the Mexican, her father. She herself had been raised and educated as best might be in one of the monasteries along the Rio Grande, and had there grown to womanhood before her father, fleeing into the mountains of California, ...& Stories by Modern American Authors & Julian Hawthorne... exclaimed before Basile against the unreasonableness of these orders, and declared his belief that it was impossible he should succeed, and that this was only a scheme of his enemies to prepare his ruin. Basile had attended to the operations of the engineer who acted under the general, and perfectly recollected the model of the mines of this town, which he had seen when he was employed as draughtsman by his Parisian friend. He remembered, that there was formerly an old mine, that ...& Tales and Novels, Vol. 6 & Maria Edgeworth... musket without ball, and called to them in the Russian tongue to know what they wanted, an but they came on with a double fury up to the wood-side, not imagining we were so barricaded that they could not easily break in. Our old pilot was our captain as well as our engineer, and desired us not to fire upon them till they came within pistol-shot, that we might be sure to kill, and that when we did fire we should be s we bade him give the word of command, which he delayed so long that they were some of them within two pikes' ...& The Further Adventures of Robinson Crusoe & Daniel Defoe... remember, also, of his description of how the crew, working on the original big irrigating canal, struck when it was about half done, and swore that from the Poudre the ditch was going to run up hill, and would, therefore, be a failure. The engineer didn't know at first what was best to do with the belligerent laborers, but finally he took the leader away from the rest of the crew and said, "Now, I tell you this in confidence, because of course I know perfectly well that the stockholders may kick on it if they hear it, but ...& Remarks & Bill Nye... Mikhailov, a little port at the end of the T but ships of moderate tonnage hardly had water enough there to come alongside. On this account, General Annenkof, the creator of the new railway, the eminent engineer whose name will frequently recur in my narrative, was led to found Uzun Ada, and thereby considerably shorten the crossing of the Caspian. The station was built in three months, and it was opened on the 8th of ...& The Adventures of a Special Correspondent & Jules Verne... they discharge them. They claim that a man who is worried cannot be efficient, and if he is not efficient he is not a dependable individual to have in their employ. Some railroads will not allow an engineer to drive a passenger train after it is discovered that he is unhappily married. The young wife should, therefore, appreciate that she may be directly responsible for her husband's efficiency and success. If a woman is guilty ...& The Eugenic Marriage, Vol. 3 (of 4) - A Personal Guide to the New Science of Better Living and Better Babies & W. Grant Hague... imperative knock and a loud-voiced summons to open had been met with blank silence from the interior of No. 605, the workman got busy. The door was stout, and offered a stubborn resistance. It had to be forced then it yielded so suddenly that it fell into the room, with the engineer sprawling on top of it. The man yelled, thinking he was being plunged headlong into tragedy, but Steingall switched on the lights, and four pairs of eager eyes peered at nothing in particular. They found the golf clubs, which partially explained the blocking of the door, though it ...& One Wonderful Night - A Romance of New York & Louis Tracy... got mixed with the boys?"&11 boys whose tongues were as the vibrating
whose talk was like the
whose laugh was as the breaking of mighty waves upon the seashore. Among the six at our late dinner was our first scholar, the thorough-bred and accomplished engineer who held the city of Lawrence in his brain before it spread itself out along the banks of the Merrimac. There, too, was the poet whose National Hymn, "My Country, 't is of thee," is known to more millions, and dearer to many of them, than all the other songs written since the Psalms ...& The Autocrat of the Breakfast-Table & Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. (The Physician and Poet not the Jurist)... This engineer likewise suppressed the balancing column, which is often a source of trouble in the descent of the tubbing, and forced his tubbing to center itself with the shaft through a guide with four branches riveted under the false bottom that ...& Scientific American Supplement, No. 508, September 26, 1885 & Various... immediately proceeded to enlist in his command the IP man who had made the mistaken bet, and Rad Cole was on duty with him now. Cole was the technician of the T-247. His rank as Technical Engineer was practically equivalent to Kendall's circle-rank, which made the two more ...& The Ultimate Weapon & John Wood Campbell... spruce trees, looked up at the clear skies, then called to a boy idling in a shed at a little distance from the mine buildings, telling him to bring out the horse and buckboard. The name of the man who had issued from the mine was Julius Corbett, and he was a civil engineer. Furthermore, he was ...& The Wolf's Long Howl & Stanley Waterloo... extremely fat but spri he wore his moustache turned up at the ends, and was a captain in the same arm of the service as the master. I saw him and the other guests come lounging out of the house in the course of the evening. There was a man they called Ingenior, [Footnote: Engineer. Men are frequently addressed and referred to by the title of their occupation, with or without adding the name.] he was young, a little over twenty, fairly tall, brown-skinned and clean shaven. And there was ...& Wanderers & Knut Hamsun... though little known outside of France, is Emile Souvestre, who was born in Morlaix, April 15, 1806, and died at Paris July 5, 1854. He was the son of a civil engineer, was educated at the college of Pontivy, and intended to follow his father's career by entering the Polytechnic School. His father, however, died in 1823, and Souvestre matriculated as a law-student at Rennes. But the young student soon devoted himself entirely ...& An "Attic" Philosopher, Complete & Emile Souvestre... who designs a tram road will be a cultivated man, he will strive, as a good writer, or a painter strives, to achieve the simplicity of perfection. He will make his girders and rails and parts as gracious as that first engineer, Nature, has made the stems of her plants and the joints and gestures of her animals. To esteem him a sort of anti-artist, to count every man who makes things with his unaided thumbs an artist, ...& A Modern Utopia & H. G. Wells... up the track, to meet the train, to board her, to shriek at her, to get to his father, to cling to the cow-catcher, perhaps, till the engineer stopped for sheer mercy,&this was the nearest approach to a purpose that the child had, as he beat along the track, stumbling, falling, up again, down again, shaken by the rolling earth, and blinded by darkness more awful than he had ever seen ...& A Lost Hero & Elizabeth Stuart Phelps Ward and Herbert D. Ward... a moment for the steamer to lose her sternway, I rang the other bell, intending
but the engineer did not heed my summons. A moment afterwards Vallington appeared on the forward deck, wiping from his brow the perspiration, which indicated that the engine-room was a hot place, or that his mental struggles were ...& Breaking Away - or The Fortunes of a Student & Oliver Optic... regular burrows, which she digs for herself. These bur they are often an inch in diameter and run into the ground to a depth but they are not perpendicular. The inhabitant of this gut proves that she is at the same time a skilful hunter and an able engineer. It was a question for her not only of constructing a deep retreat that could hide her from the pursuit of her foes: she also had to set up her observatory whence to watch for her prey and dart out upon ...& The Life of the Spider & J. Henri Fabre... He stared at her. "I don't know what you mean. The two men are the assistant superintendent of the water-works and the engineer at the pumping-plant." ...& Counsel for the Defense & Leroy Scott... title of "The Ever Victorious," and had achieved fame by having in the "good times" of the Flat yielded a certain Peter Finnerty two thousand ounces of gold from a hundred tons of alluvial. The then owner of the battery was an intelligent, but bibulous ex-marine engineer, who had served with Gordon in China, and when he erected the structure he formally christened it "The Ever Victorious," in memory of Gordon's army, which stamped out ...& Chinkie's Flat and Other Stories - 1904 & Louis Becke... be half-owner of a town, I at once accepted his proposition. We bought a stock of such articles as are usually found in a frontier store, and transported them to the place on Big Creek, where we were to found our town. We hired a railroad engineer to survey the site and st and we gave the new town the ancient and historical name of Rome. To a "starter," we donated lots to any one who would build on them, but reserved the corner lots and others which were best located for ourselves. These ...& The Life of Hon. William F. Cody - Known as Buffalo Bill The Famous Hunter, Scout and Guide & William F. Cody... quickly. Then what a to-do there was! We demanded the right to protect our property from the sea. The Council said, 'Yes, yes, yes, don' you'll be quite safe, safe as the K we ourselves will protect you.' The Government engineer came round and said once more, 'Don't alarm yourself! We are going to build an embankment. Next year there will be a whole street in front of you, and electric trams going ...& A Tramp's Sketches & Stephen Graham... the Tavern we pass Engineer Von Schmidt's old dam, for the history of which see the chapter on "The ...& The Lake of the Sky & George Wharton James... Gwyn," he whispered. "Going to be a very big thing. I mustn' but you're like one of us, and I may tell you. I'm off to Truro this afternoon to talk to an old friend of mine&engineer, and a very big man on working mines. He'll advise on the best ...& Sappers and Miners - The Flood beneath the Sea & George Manville Fenn... aristocracy. She did not l she simply couldn't help it. Her set was not the Orchils' set, their wa their orbits merely inte and, left to herself and the choice hers, she would not have troubled herself to engineer any such alliance, even to stir up Mrs. Sanxon Orchil. Besides, deep in her complacent little New York soul she had the faintest germ of contempt for the Cordova ancestors of the ...& The Younger Set & Robert W. Chambers... a professor of law at Christiania. In some lands to be a barrister, civil engineer, physician, or merchant, entitles one to a place on the upper rounds of the social ladder. It is different in Norway, however. To be a professor there is to be at ...& Ticket No. "9672" & Jules Verne... the engineer. If he saw you climb over the rail, and if he thought you was Lewis, then it's a safe guess that Lewis is one of the ...& Owen Clancy's Happy Trail - or, The Motor Wizard in California & Burt L. Standish... AN ENGINEER.&Containing full instructions how to proceed in order to become a also directions for buildin together with a full description of everything an ...& The Bradys Beyond Their Depth - The Great Swamp Mystery & Anonymous... were carried in Shore, and began to play on the Castle of Boccachica. The three next Days were spent in landing the remainder of the Forces, the Baggage, &c.[D] and by the 16th all the Cannon, Mortars, and Ordnance Stores were landed[E]. But the principal Engineer not arriving till the 15th, no Spot was pitched upon for raising a Battery[F] against the Enemy, so that the clearing a few Bushes away down by the Water Side, for to pitch their Tents, was all the material Work the Army did for near a W and the ...& An Account of the expedition to Carthagena, with explanatory notes and observations & Sir Charles Knowles... in a small punt, rowed by a boy, to the mouth of the harbour, while in a large boat accompanying them were Prince Mavrocordato and his attendants. In this situation, an indignant feeling of contempt and impatience at the supineness of their Greek friends seized the engineer, and he proceeded to vent this feeling to Lord Byron in no very measured terms, pronouncing Prince Mavrocordato to be "an old gentlewoman," and concluding, according to his own statement, with the following words:&"If I were in their place, ...& Life of Lord Byron, Vol. 6 (of 6) - With his Letters and Journals & Thomas Moore... centuries! Here, then, was the explanation of how those gigantic blocks that constitute the great Pyramid of Cheops had been swung to their lofty elevation. It was not the work of puny man, as many an engineer had declared that it could not be, but the work of ...& Edison's Conquest of Mars & Garrett Putman Serviss... composer and professor at the C further, I must yet make mention of Anton Barcinski, professor at the Polytechnic School, teacher at Nicholas Chopin's institution, and by-and-by his son-in- Dr. Jarocki, Julius Kolberg, the engineer; and Brodowski, the painter. These and others, although to us only names, or little more, are nevertheless not without their significance. We may liken them to the supernumeraries on the stage, who, dumb as they are, ...& Frederick Chopin as a Man and Musician - Volume 1-2, Complete & Frederick Niecks... one of the candidates in the approaching presidential election, party spirit was inclined to treat with silence and neglect labors which it realized could not fail to command admiration and approval. In England the merits of this report were more justly appreciated. In 1834, Col. Pasley, royal engineer, in a learned work on measures and money, acknowledged the benefits he had derived from "an official report upon weights and measures, published in 1821, by a distinguished American statesman, John Quincy ...& Memoir of the Life of John Quincy Adams. & Josiah Quincy... Assembly amendments made necessary to correct typographical errors, and refused to concur in the seven objectionable amendments, all that would have been necessary would have been for the Assembly to recede from its objectionable amendments. But if Wolfe could so engineer matters that the Senate would refuse to concur in all the amendments, then it would be necessary for the Assembly to recede from all its amendments, including those intended to correct typographical errors, or send the bill to a conference committee, to be selected by ...& Story of the Session of the California Legislature of 1909 & Franklin Hichborn... which endowed her with decision to say what was in her heart, and stamp it lastingly there. The two Generals were quite antagonistic, but no two, in perfect ignorance of one another's proceedings, ever worked so harmoniously toward the main result. The Countess was the skilful engineer: Rose the General of cavalry. And it did really seem that, with Tom Cogglesby and his thousands in reserve, the victory was about to be gained. The male Jocelyns, an easy race, decided that, if the worst came to the ...& The Shaving of Shagpat & George Meredith... divines remained within his memory, but the heart of them had gone out. What had he to be thankful for now? Did he not earn his bitter bread by a task so laborious that the very poor might shun it. His father would have made an engineer of him if he had lived&so much had been quite decided. He could tell you the names of lads who had been at Westminster with him and were now at Oxford or Cambridge enjoying those young years which no subsequent fortune can recall. What had he done to the God who ruled the world that these were ...& Aladdin of London - or Lodestar & Sir Max Pemberton... Howards." The Joels were H the Rudds supposed to belong to the same race through
the Mosenthals, Abrahams, Phillipps, and other notabilities of the Rand and Kimberley, were Jews, and one among the so-called Reformers, associated with the Jameson Raid, was an American engineer, John ...& Cecil Rhodes - Man and Empire-Maker & Princess Catherine Radziwill... George W. Kelham, chief of Exposition architecture, "before the modern age of advanced specialization was dreamed of, had an architect been asked to create an exposition, he would have been not only an architect, but painter, sculptor and landscape engineer as well. He would have thought, planned and executed from this fourfold angle, and I doubt if it would have even occurred to him to think of one of the arts as detached from another." These words express the method of the Exposition builders. The scheme adopted was a unit, in ...& The Jewel City & Ben Macomber... was not an engineer and knew little of science. His Company's failure was directly due to his ignorance and disregard of ...& Ranching, Sport and Travel & Thomas Carson... on the re-launch of satellite '58 Beta. The launch phase was eminently successful. The hold at T minus twelve minutes was not due to any malfunction in the missile itself, but rather to a disorder of another kind ... the engineer who was functioning as Launch Monitor had fainted in the blockhouse. The count was picked up under the direction of the Assistant Launch Monitor. After launch the three stages of the rocket separated properly, and injection into orbit occurred ...& If at First You Don't... & John Brudy... pere was of mixed nationality, his father being an Italian and his mother a Greek, and it is not unlikely that his unrest and want of concentration were due to the accident of his parentage. When quite a young man, Francois fought under the great Napoleon, after whose fall he became a civil engineer. He spent some time in Germany, where he was engaged in the construction of the first tramway line in Europe, afterwards visiting Holland and possibly England. Failure seems to have accompanied him, for in 1831 he applied for ...& A Zola Dictionary & J. G. Patterson... of the engineer in charge, we all lay down at full length on the platform, and one of our number was pushed forward until his head and shoulders protruded over the black chasm of the pit, from which a thin column of smoke was still ...& Memoirs of Sir Wemyss Reid
& Stuart J. Reid, ed.... by Osteopathy as an experimenter, and notwithstanding I obtained good results in all cases in diseases of climate and contagions, I hesitated for years to proclaim to the world that there was but little excuse for a master engineer to lose a child in cases of diphtheria, croup, measles, mumps, whooping cough, flux and other forms of summer diseases, peculiar to children. Neither was it necessary for the adult to die with diseases of summer, fall and winter. But at last I took my stand ...& Philosophy of Osteopathy & Andrew T. Still... most dangerously threatened by the citadel. Among the men and women who voluntarily flocked to the work by thousands, were Adam, the smith, his apprentices, and Ruth. The former, with his journeymen, wielded the spade under the direction of a skilful engineer, the girl, with other women, ...& Uarda & Georg Ebers... was so stuck on the West that he half believed he'd learn to be a minin' engineer an' come out here an' live. He tried to get me to promise to come an' visit him, but I told him that I ranged over the same territory mostly, an' wouldn't know how to act in the E but that if I ever ...& Happy Hawkins & Robert Alexander Wason... of persons who cross the Brooklyn Bridge daily. Mr. Martin, the Chief Engineer and Superintendent, has been so kind as to tell us all about it for you. We publish ...& The Great Round World and What Is Going On In It, Vol. 1, No. 26, May 6, 1897 - A Weekly Magazine for Boys and Girls & Various... over his face as April clouds flit across the sun. He was a handsome man, and young for the important post he filled&being scarcely forty&a graduate of West Point, with great executive ability, and a wonderful engineer. "Sit down, chappies," "we have still a half hour before I begin to read the report I am to make to the stockholders and representatives of all the governments, which is now ready. I know YOU smoke," passing a box of Havanas to the professor. Prof. Cortlandt, LL. D., United ...& A Journey in Other Worlds & J. J. Astor... years, when Frank had reached the age of seventeen, the same curious shifting of the relative positions of parent and friend between the two neighbors was exemplified more absurdly than ever. A civil engineer in the north of England, who owed certain obligations to Mr. Vanstone, expressed his willingness to take Frank under superintendence, on terms of the most favorable kind. When this proposal was received, Mr. Clare, as usual, first shifted his own character as Frank's father on ...& No Name & Wilkie Collins... no wonder! They run so slow they can't help it. The way I figure it, a German engineer must have a devil of a time holding his engine in. The fact is, he usually can't, and so he has to wait outside every big town until the schedule catches up to him. They say they never have accidents, but is it any more than you expect? Did ...& Europe After 8:15 & H. L. Mencken, George Jean Nathan and Willard Huntington Wright... arrived. Sixteen heavy guns are received, with a large amount of shot and shell, but the platfor still, if occasion should arise for dispatch, I can put a larger force to work. Captain Prime, when here, advised that the work should proceed regularly under the proper engineer officers and ...& Memoirs of Three Civil War Generals, Complete & U. S. Grant, W. T. Sherman, P. H. Sheridan... radio engineer at the Rothafel Radio laboratories, and protege of Dr. Manthis, his host, ...& The End of Time & Wallace West... Twenty-third were embarked in boats and crossed to the Gloucester side of the river before midnight. At this critical moment a violent storm arose which prevented the boats returning. The enemy's fire reopened at daybreak, and the engineer and principal officers of the army gave it as their opinion that it was impossible to resist longer. Only one eight-inch shell and a hundred small ones remained. The defenses had in many places tumbled ...& True to the Old Flag - A Tale of the American War of Independence & G. A. Henty... has been compiled by the Manhattan Engineer District of the United States Army under the direction of Major General Leslie R. Groves. Special acknowledgement to those whose work contributed largely to this report is ...& The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki & United States... and when he disembarks is quite unassuming in his demeanour? The reason is that he is not certain whether he has done his passengers any good in saving them from death, if one of them is diseased in body, and still more if he is diseased in mind&who can say? The engineer too will often save whole cities, and yet you despise him, and would not allow your son to marry his daughter, or his son to marry yours. But what reason is there in this? For if virtue only means the saving of life, whether your own or another's, ...& Gorgias & Plato... cursing, and was almost indifferent to beating. As the navigation had been nearly killed by the railway, the canal was allowed to fill itself with water-plants, which were interesting to me, but exceedingly hurtful to the temper of the bargees. They vented their fury upon the engineer, who was absent, and the horse that was present&unfortunately for the poor brute, for somehow he seemed to be looked upon as a representative of ...& Two Summers in Guyenne & Edward Harrison Barker... missionaries and other explorers had given to the world the knowledge possessed at that early day of the great west, a young and talented engineer of the French government, living in Quebec, and named Jean Baptiste Louis Franquelin, completed, in 1684, the most elaborate map of the times, a carefully traced copy of which, through the courtesy of Mr. Francis Parkman, I have been allowed ...& Four Months in a Sneak-Box & Nathaniel H. Bishop... taking from his poetical rank. Neither is there anything particularly belonging to architecture, as such, which it is any credit to an artist to
it is only a simple and clear field for the manifestation of his knowledge of general laws. Any surveyor or engineer could have drawn the steps and balustrade in the Hero and Leander, as well as T but there is no man living but himself who could have thrown the accidental shadows upon them. I may, however, refer for general illustration of Turner's power ...& Modern Painters Volume I (of V) & John Ruskin... millions. Probably a third of the natives of the country where I am now writing (New Guinea) so are about two-thirds of the occupants of the New Hebrides, and the same proportion of the Solomon Islanders. All the natives of the Santa Cruz group, Admiralties, Hermits, Louisiade, Engineer, D'Entrecasteaux groups are cannibals, and even some well-authenticated cases have occurred among the "black fellows" of Northern Australia. I do not know that the fact of a native being a cannibal makes him a greater savage. Some ...& The Quarterly Review, Volume 162, No. 324, April, 1886 & Various... the last of the cargo was landed in the store house. The engineer (a gentleman whose grimy face and mournful eyes belied his record as a hold-up ...& Blacksheep! Blacksheep! & Meredith Nicholson... imprisonment and in his escape from the clutches of the revolutionists. Sharing the lot of the adventurous young seaman, Phelippeaux sailed to the Levant, and now brought to the defence of Acre the science of a skilled engineer. Bravely seconded by British officers and seamen, he sought to repair the breach effected by the French field-pieces, and constructed at the most exposed points inner defences, before which the most obstinate efforts of the storming parties melted away. Nine times did the assailants ...& The Life of Napoleon I (Volumes, 1 and 2) & John Holland Rose... another important feature. The supplying of water for wash-stands, the dispositions of wastes and the flushing of lavatories tax all the skill of the mechanical engineer. Several of these mighty buildings call for upwards of a ...& Marvels of Modern Science & Paul Severing... assembled on board for the last time, awaiting our railway warrants, there were some moving spectacles. The Mate and the Second-Engineer were bidding each other affectionate and tearful farewells behind the winch. "You won't quite forget me, Bill, will yer?" I heard the Second exclaim brokenly, but the only reply was a strangled sob. The Steward, seated on ...& Punch, or the London Charivari, Vol. 156., March 5, 1919 & Various... that new tannery near Torahus. How would it do if one gave a little thought to a tar-manufacturing plant alongside? He really was going to speak to Ole about that. He had had it in mind several weeks. He had even consulted an engineer about it. There were the cuttings and the tops. If the tannery took the bark, why shouldn't the tar plant ...& Shallow Soil & Knut Hamsun... tremendous excitement of the moment he could hardly have told how he got out of that car, but it did not seem ten seconds till he was standing beside the conductor and engineer, looking at the battered engine as it lay on its side in a deep ditch. The baggage car, just behind it, was broken all to pieces, but the passenger cars did not seem to have suffered very much, and nobody was badly hurt, ...& St. Nicholas Magazine for Boys and Girls, Vol. 5, Nov 1877-Nov 1878 - Scribner's Illustrated & Various... the punch heard, he made no answer. The least said the soonest mended in crises like this. If we arrived on time every passenger would grab his bag and bolt out without thanking him or the road, or the engineer who took the full blast of the storm on his chest and cheeks. If we missed the connection, any former hopeful word would only add another hot coal ...& Forty Minutes Late - 1909 & F. Hopkinson Smith... glare of the furnaces as the fireman jerked the doors open, Peggy could see the engineer and his mate gazing up at them with something of awe in their expressions. Aeroplanes were not as common in the far West as in ...& The Girl Aviators on Golden Wings & Margaret Burnham... a smile. Monsieur Vaucher was a careful engineer of her successes, a withered little middle-aged Parisian, who had grown up in the mechanical service of great singers and actors. There was not a tone in his voice, not a gesture in his repertory, that wa and, with it ...& The Second Class Passenger & Perceval Gibbon... the ground by a railroad for two years. I remembered meeting him at Newport when I was still at Lehigh, and last night he asked me to dinner and told me what he had been doing which included everything from acting in South America to blacking boots in Australia. His boss was a Pittsburgh engineer who is apparently licking him into shape and who told me to tell his father that he had stopped drinking absolutely. His colored "missus" sat with us at the table and played with a beetle during the three hours ...& Adventures and Letters & Richard Harding Davis... have said this much about the epigrams, because I lived so much in the opposite camp, and, from my post as an engineer, might be suspected as the flinger of these hand- but with a worthy foe, I am all for open war, and not this bushfighting, and have not had, nor will have, any thing to do with it. I do not ...& Life of Lord Byron, Vol. II - With His Letters and Journals & Thomas Moore... fractured by periods of instability and intermittent military coups (, 1980), which in each case eventually resulted in a return of political power to civilians. In 1997, the military again helped engineer the ouster - popularly dubbed a "post-modern coup" - of the then Islamic-oriented government. Turkey intervened militarily on Cyprus in 1974 to prevent a Greek takeover of the island and has since acted as patron state to ...& The 2008 CIA World Factbook & United States. Central Intelligence Agency.... wired at once to Morris Sylvester to proceed to Arles and hunt out further details. It seemed an unnecessary precaution, but the shipowner never neglected the tiniest detail when he had a big scheme to engineer. ...& Swirling Waters & Max Rittenberg... dwarfed by those teachers who keep their pupils' thoughts upon signs and definitions, when they ought to deal continually with the facts, things and life of the world! It is no fable that a student of the higher mathematics, when his master, a practical engineer upon the Boston water-works, required his services, exclaimed, "I had no idea that you had sines and tangents ...& Thoughts on Educational Topics and Institutions & George S. Boutwell... to discover how they were made, what were the laws of their gro and his knowledge of these things changed the character of his vision, made him see the human body, for instance, as no mediaeval art made him see it as an engineer sees a machine. Just as an engineer sees more in a machine than a man who does not understand its working, so the Florentine saw more in the human body than a mediaeval artist. He saw it with a scientific as well as an aesthetic passion, and all this science of his enriched his art so that there ...& Progress and History & Various... presented myself at the American Embassy this morning, delivered my dispatches, and had a conference with Mr. Grant-Smith, the First Secretary. At luncheon I met Colonel Biddle, an officer in the Engineer Corps of the United States Army, who has recently arrived in Austria in order to go to the front as a military observer. The afternoon and evening I spent with Captain Briggs, Military Attache at the Embassy, studying and ...& The Note-Book of an Attache - Seven Months in the War Zone & Eric Fisher Wood... that staff of life. On the other hand, finding none in the fields, and hearing that it was hoarded up and secured in towns, forts, and castles, and watched with more care than ever were the golden pippins of the Hesperides, he turned engineer, and found ways to beat, storm, and demolish forts and castles with machines and warlike thunderbolts, battering-rams, ballists, and catapults, whose shapes were shown to us, not over-well understood by our engineers, architects, and other ...& Gargantua and Pantagruel, Complete. & Francois Rabelais... but it was destined to be carried into execution, and to change the face of the Astrardente domain in a few years. Corona sent to Rome for an engineer who was also a good architect, and she set herself to study the possibilities of the place, giving the man sufficient scope, and only insisting that there should be no labour and no material imported from beyond the limits of her lands. ...& Saracinesca & F. Marion Crawford... at breakfast when my chief engineer entered and saluted. His face was grave, and I thought he was even a trifle paler ...& The Lost Continent & Edgar Rice Burroughs... until the train came screeching down upon the station, paused there while the conductor rushed in, got a thin slip of paper for himself and the engineer, and rushed out again. When the train grumbled away from the platform and went its way, it left man standing there, a fish-basket slung from one shoulder, a trout rod carefully wrapped in its case in his hand, a box which looked suspiciously like a case of some bottled ...& Good Indian & B. M. Bower... were about to fall into the clutches of civilization, the savages of Bornova, without taking the trouble to discuss the matter, declared their opposition to the road. The government took no notice of it. The first engineer who came to survey it, got a ball through his head, and died on his level. No action was taken on this murder, but the road made a circuit which ...& The Two Brothers & Honore de Balzac... the stern, swamping the boat, and drowning seven of the crew. Again the last hope seemed lost to the exhausted men on the wreck. But later in the day, the sea having gone down somewhat, a steam-tug succeeded in reaching the wreck and rescuing the crew. The second engineer was the last man to leave the ship. He remained lashed to the mast until all were taken on the tug. Then, climbing to the top-mast, he cut down the flag that had waved during those two wild days and nights, and bore ...& The Naval History of the United States - Volume 2 (of 2) & Willis J. Abbot... engineer's boy brought word to Chino that the superintendent wanted him at once. Chino found Lockwood lying upon the old lounge in the middle room of the office, ...& A Deal in Wheat - And Other Stories of the New and Old West & Frank Norris... "Anyhow, you have a good lead if your friend in black cottons to you." Again he winked. "You're not a bad-looking young feller." He leaned over the side steps, and gazed ahead. "Sidney in sight. Be there directly. We're hitting twenty miles and better through the greatest country on earth. The engineer ...& Desert Dust & Edwin L. Sabin... rule is of concerted works: the rule of the Engineer. Back of every advance in our country, in facilities of trade and transportation, or of public health and safety, stands the man who thought it out. Take, for instance, the development of the "Great American Desert." Who projected its irrigation, by which areas have been redeemed from ...& The Warriors & Lindsay, Anna Robertson Brown... we were starting, Mr. Norman Oliver, the Assistant Delegate at Goa, arrived alongside in his pretty little schooner yacht, of native design and build, but of English rig. He brought with him a very kind letter from Mr. H.D. Donaldson, the assistant engineer of the new Portuguese Railway, now in course of construction, to connect Goa with the English lines northward to Bombay and eastward to Madras. If only the inhabitants of Goa will make use of the new ...& The Last Voyage - to India and Australia, in the 'Sunbeam' & Lady (Annie Allnutt) Brassey... 1893, Richard Bridges, who was a mining engineer of some standing, had made a trip to Rhodesia with a view to gold and diamond prospecting. He had been accompanied by a friend, Thomas Symes, who, so far as we could ascertain, was an ex- and the two, after a short stay at Bulawayo, had gone northward across the Guai ...& Uncanny Tales & Various... to command armies while war lasted, and divert himself the rest of the time without constraint to himself or to others. He was, in fact, very fit for this. With much valour, he had also much foresight, judgment, coolness, and vast capacity. It may be said that he was captain, engineer, that he knew the strength of his troops, the names and the company of the officers, and the most disting that he knew how to make himself adored, at the same time keeping up discipline, and could ...& The Memoirs of Louis XIV., His Court and The Regency, Complete & Duc de Saint-Simon... forward berth on the starboard side was occupied by the first lieutenant, and the after one by the second lieutenant, according to the custom in the navy. On the port side, the forward berth belonged to the chief engineer, and the after one to the surgeon. Forward of this was the steerage, in which the boatswain, gunner, carpenter, the assistant engineers, and the steward were berthed. Each of these apartments was provided with a table upon which the meals were served to the officers occupying it. The ...& On The Blockade - SERIES: The Blue and the Gray Afloat & Oliver Optic... appeared in Washington a young engineer named Judah, who had been sent by the people of the Pacific coast to urge the immediate building of the road by the middle route that which was finally chosen. Mr. Judah knew more about the matter than any other man, east or west, and he failed in his mission only because the troubles over slavery ...& History of California & Helen Elliott Bandini... the tower in comparative shelter from the burning streams which still poured, fast and seething,
while, in the rear came showers of darts and cross-bolts from the more distant Moors, protecting the work of the engineer, and piercing through almost every loophole and ...& Leila, Complete - The Siege of Granada & Edward Bulwer-Lytton... homeward journey a running fight between the bomber and the eighteen Japanese pursuit planes continued for 75 miles. Four pursuit planes of the Japs attacked simultaneously at each side. Four were shot down with the side guns. During this fight, the bomber's radio operator was killed, the engineer's right hand was shot off, and one gunner was crippled, leaving only one man available to operate both side guns. Although wounded in one hand, this gunner alternately manned both side guns, bringing down three more Japanese "Zero" planes. While this was going on, one ...& The Fireside Chats of Franklin Delano Roosevelt & Franklin Delano Roosevelt... ideas were constantly forcing themselves, as it were, into my mind as I wandered over the changeful face of this singular land, where the fresh print of the moccasin is followed by the tread of the engineer and his attendants, and the light trail of the red man is effaced by the road of iron: hardly have the echoes ceased to repeat through the woods the Indian's hunter-cry before this is followed by the angry rush of the ...& Impressions of America - During the years
and 1835. In Two Volumes, Volume I. & Tyrone Power... passengers beside the bishop and myself&a pair of yellow-faced, yellow-fingered Portuguese from down the coast, traders both, with livers like Strasbourg geese. The Skipper was a decent, weak little chap from Lisbon, who might have been good-looking if he
the Chief Engineer was a Swede, who spoke English and quoted I and the other officers I never came specially across. There was only one of my own countrymen on board, a fireman from Hull, one of the strongest men I ever met, and certainly the ...& The Harmsworth Magazine, v. 1, , No. 2 & Various... honorable friend, "will always continue to lead men to virtue by the instrumentality of their conflicting vices. The virtues where more than one exists, may live h but the vices bear mortal antipathy to one another, and, therefor, furnish to the moral engineer the power by which he can make each keep the other under controls." Admirable! but upon this doctrine, the poor man who has but one single vice must be in a very bad way. No fulcrum no moral power, for effecting his cure! Whereas his more fortunate neighbor, who has two or more vices in his ...& The American Union Speaker & John D. Philbrick... young man of remarkable tact. Taking advantage of his position as a consultant engineer, at the beginning of The Sentence Absolute (NISBET), he pocketed an advance commission for recommending the tender of a certain firm of contractors to the Welsh mill-owner who was employing his professional services. Whether this practice is common amongst engineers, as the authoress ...& Punch, or the London Charivari, Vol. 146, April 8, 1914 & Various... of Lombardy, and Mr. John Spottiswoode the younger, of Spottiswoode[968], the solicitor. At this time fears of an inva to obviate which, Mr. Spottiswoode observed, that Mr. Fraser the engineer, who had lately come from Dunkirk, said, that the French had the same fears of us. JOHNSON. 'It is thus that mutual cowardice keeps us in peace. Were one half of mankind brave, and one half cowards, the brave would be always beating the cowards. Were all brave, they would ...& Life Of Johnson, Vol. 3 & Boswell, Edited by Birkbeck Hill... have soon," replied the launch's helmsman, rushing back to his post and ringing the bell. Thus recalled to his post, the engineer turned on the speed. ...& The High School Boys' Canoe Club & H. Irving Hancock... the cars,&make the bodies narrower, and cut off the axle-trees to fit the gauge of the rails. In their hopeless ignorance this was the only way they could see out of the difficulty. The present superintendent, a practical American engineer, was at the time in Zacatecas, and took in the position of affairs at a glance, offering for five hundred dollars to show the owners how to get out of the trouble without changing an article upon the ...& Aztec Land & Maturin M. Ballou... principal port of Costaguana, and came to Sulaco by sea. But the chairman of the railway company had courageously crossed the mountains in a ramshackle diligencia, mainly for the purpose of meeting his engineer-in-chief engaged in the final ...& Nostromo: A Tale of the Seaboard & Joseph Conrad... return to his home, Switzerland, after spending a beautiful sunny fortnight on the Seine. He had made the great bazaar on the Champ de Mars the pre but in reality the study of the exhibition, many as were the interesting objects it could offer to him, the engineer, was a somewhat minor matter, and he devoted his stay in Paris principally to walks through the streets, excursions to the environs, wanderings through the museums, in short, endless pilgrimages to all the scenes where, more than a quarter of a century before, the drama of his ...& How Women Love - (Soul Analysis) & Max Simon Nordau... honest and kindly, rather like that of the engineer Gaudian, whom two years before I had met in Germany. But his eyes fascinated me, for they were the eyes of the dreamer and fanatic, who would not desist from his quest while life lasted. I thought that Ivery had chosen well in ...& Mr. Standfast & John Buchan... Waters were dried an' the Earth did appear, ("It's all one," says the Sapper), The Lord He created the Engineer, Her Majesty's Royal Engineer, With the rank and ...& Barrack-Room Ballads & Rudyard Kipling... "the owner of this knife is not a sailor by profession. He is probably a schoolmaster. I can't be sure of that, but I can say this definitely: he is a professional man of some sort, possibly an engineer, but, as I say, more probably a mathematical master. He is left-handed, has red hair, a wife, and at least ...& The Mystery of the Green Ray & William Le Queux... between you," remarked Mr. Aston, looking from one boy to the other, "as to whether you become a full-fledged grocer first or Christopher a full-fledged engineer." ...& Christopher Hibbault, Roadmaker & Marguerite BryantWords linked to "Engineer" :&&&, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,}

我要回帖

更多关于 consulted with 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信