ourtheir怎么读you哪个不是同一类的

& “You've been away fro...”习题详情
168位同学学习过此题,做题成功率87.5%
You've been away
you told us a lie which I came to know not long ago. On this special day for teachers across the country, I can _1_keep myself from telling your white lie to those who would lend me an ear. Do you still remember the happy _2_about six years ago? We fixed our eyes upon you at your _3_.You, a beautiful young lady, _4_ us that you would live in our village. Soon after, we began to find you were part of your students and their simple honest parents. The villagers found their children _5_more time on their books _6_ after doing their homework and housework. Yet they still _7_ that one day you might leave. You _8_a smile all the time, which reduced to some degree their_9_ of your leaving. You went all out in the _10_ of your students, helping them not only in their studies but also in their tuition(学费).You often emphasized to us the _11_ of one's life, so that must have been what you were _12_ in those five years!One cold morning when class began, you entered the room _13_ you had been crying _14_.In your class, we _15_ but looked away from your eyes. You _16_for some time as if you were _17_to find this right word…you said you would go away and would never be back to teach because your boyfriend wanted you more…?On the following morning, we _18_ you the very best and the villagers gave you their _19_The train took you away and your broken _20_The other day I happened to hear my parents chatting that you had lung cancer and left the world soon after you waved goodbye.1. A. forever&&&&&&&& B. seldom&&&& C. hardly&&&&&&&&& D. soon2. A. scene&&&&&&&&& B. condition&& C. sign&&&&&&&&&&&& D. sight3. A. report&&&&&&&& B. arrival&&&&& C. explanation&&&&&& D. speech4. A. promised&&&&&& B. answered&& C. permitted&&&&&&& D. agreed5. A. shared&&&&&&&& B. spent&&&&&& C. paid&&&&&&&&&&& D. devoted6. A. even&&&&&&&&& B. ever&&&&&&& C. soon&&&&&&&&&&& D. still7. A. considered&&&& B. feared&&&&&& C. supposed&&&&&&& D. doubted8. A. wore&&&&&&&&& B. pretended&&&C. gained&&&&&&&&& D. presented9. A. pale&&&&&&&&& B. trouble&&&&&& C. question&&&&&&& D. fear10. A. teaching&&&&& B. middle&&&&& C. course&&&&&&&&& D. field11. A. way&&&&&&&&& B. wealth&&&&& C. value&&&&&&&&&& D. cost12. A. after&&&&&&&& B. for&&&&&&&&&C. with&&&&&&&&&& D. against13. A. as if&&&&&&&& B. because&&&&& C. even though&&&& D. before14. A. happily&&&&& B. bitterly&&&&&& C. anxiously&&&&&& D. angrily15. A .listened&&&&& B .talked&&&&&&& C. discussed&&&&&& D. studied16. A. explained&&& B. stopped&&&&&& C. talked&&&&&&&&& D .spoke17. A. thinking&&&& B. worrying&&&&& C. crying&&&&&&&&& D. trying18. A. hoped&&&&&& B expected&&&&& C. wished&&&&&&&&& D. brought19. A. thanks&&&&&& B. satisfactions&& C. expressions&&&&& D. rewards20. A. boy &&&&&&&&B. class&&&&&&&& C. heart&&&&&&&&&&& D. memory1---20&&&& CABAB&& ABADA&& CAABA&&&& BDCAC&
本题难度:一般
题型:解答题&|&来源:2010-完形填空
分析与解答
习题“You've been away
you told us a lie which I came to know not long ago. On this speci...”的分析与解答如下所示:
1. hardly="almost" not,这里指作者情难自抑,要告诉人们一个白色的谎言。答案为C。2.scene指情景、场面。答案为A。?3.显然,这是指六年前她刚刚到来。答案为B。?4.根据语意:指她一来就向我们许诺,要和我们一起居住在这个村庄。答案为A。?5.此为固定结构。答案为B。?6.根据句意:村民的孩子们甚至做完了家庭作业和家务活以后,还要花更多的时间读书。这里从侧面反映了她是个好老师。答案为A。?7.这里指担心、害怕老师有一天会走。此题应与第9题语义一致。答案为B。?8.面带微笑要用wear。wear还可用于表示戴首饰,穿鞋、袜等。答案为A。?9.根据上文,应指“担心她离开”。答案为D。?10.go all out in sth.指在某一个方面全力以赴。显然这里指在教育孩子们方面。答案为A。?11.value of one's life意思为“人生的价值”。答案为C。?12.be after意思为“追求”。这句话的意思是:因此那(人生的价值)一定就是你在那五年中所追求的东西。答案为A。?13.根据上下文,这里暗指她的病情开始恶化。答案为A。?14.这里指疾病和情感折磨着她,使她很痛苦。答案为B。?15.在课堂上,我们听她讲课。答案为A。?16.根据下文她要离开,但又有点犹豫。答案为B。?17.这里指或许她在设法寻求合适的理由。答案为D。?18.习惯用语wish sb. the very best意思为“祝愿某人万事如意”。答案为C。?19.指村民们表达了对她的感谢之情。答案为A。?20.这里指火车带走了她和她那颗悲伤的心。答案为C。
找到答案了,赞一个
如发现试题中存在任何错误,请及时纠错告诉我们,谢谢你的支持!
You've been away
you told us a lie which I came to know not long ago. On this ...
错误类型:
习题内容残缺不全
习题有文字标点错误
习题内容结构混乱
习题对应知识点不正确
分析解答残缺不全
分析解答有文字标点错误
分析解答结构混乱
习题类型错误
错误详情:
我的名号(最多30个字):
看完解答,记得给个难度评级哦!
“You've been away fro...”的最新评论
欢迎来到乐乐题库,查看习题“You've been away
you told us a lie which I came to know not long ago. On this special day for teachers across the country, I can _1_keep myself from telling your white lie to those who would lend me an ear. Do you still remember the happy _2_about six years ago? We fixed our eyes upon you at your _3_.You, a beautiful young lady, _4_ us that you would live in our village. Soon after, we began to find you were part of your students and their simple honest parents. The villagers found their children _5_more time on their books _6_ after doing their homework and housework. Yet they still _7_ that one day you might leave. You _8_a smile all the time, which reduced to some degree their_9_ of your leaving. You went all out in the _10_ of your students, helping them not only in their studies but also in their tuition(学费).You often emphasized to us the _11_ of one's life, so that must have been what you were _12_ in those five years!One cold morning when class began, you entered the room _13_ you had been crying _14_.In your class, we _15_ but looked away from your eyes. You _16_for some time as if you were _17_to find this right word…you said you would go away and would never be back to teach because your boyfriend wanted you more…?On the following morning, we _18_ you the very best and the villagers gave you their _19_The train took you away and your broken _20_The other day I happened to hear my parents chatting that you had lung cancer and left the world soon after you waved goodbye.1. A. forever B. seldom C. hardly D. soon2. A. scene B. condition C. sign D. sight3. A. report B. arrival C. explanation D. speech4. A. promised B. answered C. permitted D. agreed5. A. shared B. spent C. paid D. devoted6. A. even B. ever C. soon D. still7. A. considered B. feared C. supposed D. doubted8. A. wore B. pretendedC. gained D. presented9. A. pale B. trouble C. question D. fear10. A. teaching B. middle C. course D. field11. A. way B. wealth C. value D. cost12. A. after B. forC. with D. against13. A. as if B. because C. even though D. before14. A. happily B. bitterly C. anxiously D. angrily15. A .listened B .talked C. discussed D. studied16. A. explained B. stopped C. talked D .spoke17. A. thinking B. worrying C. crying D. trying18. A. hoped B expected C. wished D. brought19. A. thanks B. satisfactions C. expressions D. rewards20. A. boy B. class C. heart D. memory”的答案、考点梳理,并查找与习题“You've been away
you told us a lie which I came to know not long ago. On this special day for teachers across the country, I can _1_keep myself from telling your white lie to those who would lend me an ear. Do you still remember the happy _2_about six years ago? We fixed our eyes upon you at your _3_.You, a beautiful young lady, _4_ us that you would live in our village. Soon after, we began to find you were part of your students and their simple honest parents. The villagers found their children _5_more time on their books _6_ after doing their homework and housework. Yet they still _7_ that one day you might leave. You _8_a smile all the time, which reduced to some degree their_9_ of your leaving. You went all out in the _10_ of your students, helping them not only in their studies but also in their tuition(学费).You often emphasized to us the _11_ of one's life, so that must have been what you were _12_ in those five years!One cold morning when class began, you entered the room _13_ you had been crying _14_.In your class, we _15_ but looked away from your eyes. You _16_for some time as if you were _17_to find this right word…you said you would go away and would never be back to teach because your boyfriend wanted you more…?On the following morning, we _18_ you the very best and the villagers gave you their _19_The train took you away and your broken _20_The other day I happened to hear my parents chatting that you had lung cancer and left the world soon after you waved goodbye.1. A. forever B. seldom C. hardly D. soon2. A. scene B. condition C. sign D. sight3. A. report B. arrival C. explanation D. speech4. A. promised B. answered C. permitted D. agreed5. A. shared B. spent C. paid D. devoted6. A. even B. ever C. soon D. still7. A. considered B. feared C. supposed D. doubted8. A. wore B. pretendedC. gained D. presented9. A. pale B. trouble C. question D. fear10. A. teaching B. middle C. course D. field11. A. way B. wealth C. value D. cost12. A. after B. forC. with D. against13. A. as if B. because C. even though D. before14. A. happily B. bitterly C. anxiously D. angrily15. A .listened B .talked C. discussed D. studied16. A. explained B. stopped C. talked D .spoke17. A. thinking B. worrying C. crying D. trying18. A. hoped B expected C. wished D. brought19. A. thanks B. satisfactions C. expressions D. rewards20. A. boy B. class C. heart D. memory”相似的习题。TED: Ideas worth spreading
You have JavaScript disabled
For the best experience, please turn JavaScript on.
A prosecutor's vision for a better justice system
TED Talk: A searching talk that looks to replace wrath with opportunity, and change people's lives for the better
What would it be like to live on another planet?
Playlist: Forget the rest of solar system — Mars is humanity's next destination. We keep talking about it, but what would it really be like to live there?
Newest Talks
The real reason why mosquitoes buzz
The agony of opioid withdrawal -- and what doctors should tell patients about it
The story of 'Oumuamua, the first visitor from another star system
Bridges should be beautiful
The symbols of systemic racism -- and how to take away their power
What if we eliminated one of the world's oldest diseases?
Addiction is a disease. We should treat it like one
Cooking as never seen before
Let's crowdsource the world's goals
The deadly genius of drug cartels
Why we need to end the War on Drugs
3 ways good design makes you happy
Recommended today
Does racism affect how you vote?
Can democracy exist without trust?
How to rebuild a broken state
A complicated hero in the war on dictatorship
A beatboxing lesson from a father-daughter duo
Explore playlists
A playbook to understanding power
Small Thing Big Idea: Designs that changed the world
What would it be like to live on another planet?
TED Talks are free thanks to our
partners & advertisers
Heard on TED Radio Hour
Hunting for dinosaurs showed me our place in the universe
Nature is everywhere -- we just need to learn to see it
A theory of Earth's mass extinctions
A broken body isn't a broken person
Confessions of a bad feminist
TED-Ed lessons: feed your curiosity
What causes hallucinations?
The science of hearing
Can you solve the giant cat army riddle?
What causes insomnia?
The Irish myth of the Giant's Causeway
What is bipolar disorder?
live your best life
12 truths I learned from life and writing
The life-long learner
Things I've learned in my life so far
What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness
Who am I? Think again
Advice to a young scientist
deep space science
How to take a picture of a black hole
The hunt for a supermassive black hole
How I fell in love with quasars, blazars and our incredible universe
The sound the universe makes
Is our universe the only universe?
Let's look for life in the outer solar system
A little bit sexy
10 things you didn't know about orgasm
What we learn from insects' sex lives
Cute, sexy, sweet, funny
The birds and the bees are just the beginning
How a dead duck changed my life
The loves and lies of fireflies
Your digital privacy: global perspectives from TEDx
How data brokers sell your identity
Why we must protect the digital rights of children
The surveillance device you carry around all day
Using corporate data to improve our lives
Do we really own our bodies?
Your social media &likes& expose more than you think
feel the joy
The joy of surfing in ice-cold water
Where joy hides and how to find it
The joyful tradition of mountain music
Cloudy with a chance of joy
The joy of lexicography
Deep sea diving ... in a wheelchair
TED is a nonpartisan nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 110 languages. Meanwhile, independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world.my和l和we哪个不是同一类_百度知道
my和l和we哪个不是同一类
我有更好的答案
my不是一类,其他两个是人称代词,my是物主代词,我的的意思。
不谢,望采纳哦~
采纳率:74%
来自团队:
my 物主代词其他都是人称代词
主格人称代词(I,you,he,she,it,they,we) 形容词性物主代词(my,your,his,her,its,their,our)
其他1条回答
为您推荐:
其他类似问题
换一换
回答问题,赢新手礼包
个人、企业类
违法有害信息,请在下方选择后提交
色情、暴力
我们会通过消息、邮箱等方式尽快将举报结果通知您。《生命中不能承受之轻》第六部分:伟大的进军
《生命中不能承受之轻》
The Unbearable Lightnessof
原著作者:米兰·昆德拉(Milan Kundera )(捷克)
英文翻译:Michael Henry Heim(捷克)
中文翻译:许钧(中国)
伟大的进军
直到1980年,我们才从《星期天时报》上读到了斯大林的儿子、雅可夫的死因。他在第二次世界大战期间被德国人俘虏,与一群英国军官关在一起,并共用一个厕所。
Not until 1980 were we able to read in the Sunday Times
how Stalin's son, Yakov, died. Captured by the Germans during the
Second World War, he was placed in a camp together with a group of
英国军官不满意斯大林的儿子把厕所弄得又臭又乱的恶习,不满意他们的厕所被大便弄得很脏,尽管这是世界上最有权力者的儿子的大便。他们提醒他注意此事,把他惹火了。他们一而再、再而三地提醒他注意,让他把厕所弄干净。他发怒,吵架,动武,最后诉诸集中营的长官,希望长官主持公道。但那位高傲的德国人拒绝谈论大便的问题。斯大林的儿子不能忍受这种耻辱,用最吓人的俄国脏话破口大骂,飞身扑向环绕着集中营的铁丝电网。他扑中了,身体被钉在电网上,再也不会把英国人的厕所弄脏了。
They shared a
latrine. Stalin's son habitually left a foul mess. The British
officers resented having their latrine smeared with shit, even if
it was the shit of the son of the most powerful man in the world.
They brought the matter to his attention. He took offense. They
brought it to his attention again and again, and tried to make him
clean the latrine. He raged, argued, and fought. Finally, he
demanded a hearing with the camp commander. He wanted the commander
to act as arbiter. But the arrogant German refused to talk about
shit. Stalin's son could not stand the humiliation. Crying out to
heaven in the most terrifying of Russian curses, he took a running
jump into the electrified barbed-wire fence that surrounded the
camp. He hit the target. His body, which would never again make a
mess of the Britishers' latrine, was pinned to the
斯大林的儿子有一段艰难岁月。所有的证据表明,他父亲杀害了给他生这个孩子的女人。于是,小斯大林既是上帝的儿子(因为他父亲被尊崇得如同上帝),又是上帝的弃儿。人们从两重意义上都怕他:他加害于人,可以是因为震怒(毕竟,他是斯大林的儿子),也可以是出于喜爱(父亲会惩罚弃儿的朋友从而达到惩罚他的目的)。
Stalin's son had a hard time of it. All evidence points
to the conclusion that his father killed the woman by whom he had
the boy. Young Stalin was therefore both the Son of God (because
his father was revered like God) and His cast-off. People feared
him twofold: he could injure them by both his wrath (he was, after
all, Stalin's son) and his favor (his father might punish his
cast-off son's friends in order to punish
遗弃和特权,幸福与痛苦——没有谁比雅可夫感受得更具体,这对立的两面是如何交替,从人类存在的一极到另外一极,其间距离是如何短促。
Rejection and privilege, happiness and woe—no one felt
more concretely than Yakov how interchangeable opposites are, how
short the step from one pole of human existence to the
战争一开始,他成了德国人的阶下囚,另一些囚徒属于冷漠傲岸和不可理解的民族,总是出自内心地排斥他,指责他的肮脏。他,作为肩负着最高级戏剧性的人,能忍受这种不是为了崇高的东西(上帝与天使范围内的东西),而是为了大便的评判么?难道最高级与最低级的戏剧是如此令人晕眩地逼近么?
Then, at the very outset of the war, he fell prisoner to
the Germans, and other prisoners, belonging to an incomprehensible,
standoffish nation that had always been intrinsically repulsive to
him, accused him of being dirty. Was he, who bore on his shoulders
a drama of the highest order (as fallen angel and Son of God), to
undergo judgment not for something sublime (in the realm of God and
the angels) but for shit? Were the very highest of drama and the
very lowest so vertiginously
令人晕眩之近?太近会引起晕眩?
Vertiginously close? Can proximity cause
会的。当北极近到可以触到南极,地球便消失了,人会发现自己坠入真空,头会旋转,导致他倒下。
It can. When the north pole comes so close as to touch
the south pole, the earth disappears and man finds himself in a
void that makes his head spin and beckons him to
如果遭受遗弃与享有特权是一回事,毫无二致,如果崇高与低贱之间没有区别,如果上帝的儿子能忍受事关大便的评判,那么人类存在便失去了其空间度向,成为了不可承受的轻。
If rejection and privilege are one and the same, if there
is no difference between the sublime and the paltry, if the Son of
God can undergo judgment for shit, then human existence loses its
dimensions and becomes unbearably light. When Stalin's son ran up
to the electrified wire and hurled his body at it, the fence was
like the pan of a scales sticking pitifully up in the air, lifted
by the infinite lightness of a world that has lost its
dimensions.
当斯大林的儿子朝电网跑去,将自己的身体投向电网时,这架电网在失去度向的世界里被无边无际的轻所承托,象天平的秤盘,遗憾可悲地升向空中。斯大林的儿子为大便献出了生命。但是为大便而死并非无谓牺牲。那些为了向东方扩充领土而献身的德国人,那些为了向西方扩展权势而丧命的俄国人——是的,他们为某种愚昧的东西而死,死得既无意义,也不正当。在这次战争总的愚蠢中,斯大林儿子的死是唯一杰出的形而上之死。
Stalin's son
laid down his life for shit. But a death for shit is not a
senseless death. The Germans who sacrificed their lives to expand
their country's territory to the east, the Russians who died to
extend their country's power to the west—yes, they died for
something idiotic, and their deaths have no meaning or general
validity. Amid the general idiocy of the war, the death of Stalin's
son stands out as the sole metaphysical
&&&&我小的时候,曾翻阅过专给孩子们看的那种《旧约全书》,书上有多雷的木刻插画。我看见上帝站在云上,是个有鼻子有眼还有长胡须的老人。我总是想,如果他有嘴,就得吃东西,如果他吃东西,就得有肠子。这种想法总使我害怕。尽管我出生于一个不太信宗教的家庭,我感到有关神的肠子的想法是在褒渎神明。
When I was small and would leaf through the Old Testament
retold for children and illustrated in engravings by Gustave Dore,
I saw the Lord God standing on a cloud. He was an old man with
eyes, nose, and a long beard, and I would say to myself that if He
had a mouth, He had to eat. And if He ate, He had intestines. But
that thought always gave me a fright, because even though I come
from a family that was not particularly religious, I felt the idea
of a divine intestine to be
sacrilegious.
我,一个没有受过任何神学训导的孩子,很自然,会抓住上帝与大便不能共存这个事实,来怀疑基督教人类学中的基本论点。就是说,人是按照上帝的形象造的吗?二者必居其一:人是按照上帝的形象造的——上帝就有肠子!——或者说上帝没有肠子,人就不象他。
Spontaneously,
without any theological training, I, a child, grasped the
incompatibility of God and shit and thus came to question the basic
thesis of Christian anthropology, namely, that man was created in
God's image. Either/or: either man was created in God's image—and
God has intestines!—or God lacks intestines and man is not like
古老的诺斯替教与我五岁时的想法是一致的。早在二世纪,伟大的诺斯替教派大师瓦伦廷解决了这个该死的两难推理,声称:“基督能吃能喝,但不排粪。”
The ancient Gnostics
felt as I did at the age of five. In the second century, the great
Gnostic master Valentinus resolved the damnable dilemma by claiming
that Jesus ate and drank, but did not
与其说粪便是邪恶的,倒不如它是—个麻烦的神学问题。自从上帝给人以自由,如果需要的话我们可以接受这种观念:他无须对人的罪过负责,然而作为人的创造者,他对人的粪便应负完全的责任。
more onerous theological problem than is evil. Since God gave man
freedom, we can, if need be, accept the idea that He is not
responsible for man's crimes. The responsibility for shit, however,
rests entirely with Him, the Creator of
&&&&到第四世纪,圣哲罗姆完全否定了亚当和夏娃在伊甸园里做爱的说法。另一方面,九世纪伟大的神学家埃里金纳则接受这一观点,并且还相信,亚当的男性器官只要主人愿意,就可以象臂或腿一样举起。我们不能将这一设想,当作男人害怕阳萎的寻常旧梦而随意打发。埃里金纳的观点有不同的意义。如果认为靠简单命令的方式就可以使阴茎勃举,阴茎的勃举不是由于我们亢奋,而是我们的命令使然,那么世界上就没有性亢奋的位置。这位伟大的神学家发现与天堂不能共存的,并非性交及其随之而来的愉悦,他发现与天堂不能共存的是性亢奋。记住:天堂里有愉悦,但没有亢奋。
In the fourth century, Saint Jerome completely rejected
the notion that Adam and Eve had sexual intercourse in Paradise. On
the other hand, Johannes Scotus Erigena, the great ninth-century
theologian, accepted the idea. He believed, moreover, that Adam's
virile member could be made to rise like an arm or a leg, when and
as its owner wished. We must not dismiss this fancy as the
recurrent dream of a man obsessed with the threat of impotence.
Erigena's idea has a different meaning. If it were possible to
raise the penis by means of a simple command, then sexual
excitement would have no place in the world. The penis would rise
not because we are excited but because we order it to do so. What
the great theologian found incompatible with Paradise was not
sexual intercourse and th what he found
incompatible with Paradise was excitement. Bear in mind: There was
pleasure in Paradise, but no
excitement.
埃里金纳的论点抓住了有关粪便助神学辩解要害。只要人获准留在天堂,他或者(象瓦伦廷的耶稣)根本不排粪,或者(看来更有可能)不把粪便看成令人反感的东西。直到上帝把人逐出天堂,他才使人对粪便感到厌恶。人才开始遮羞,才开始揭开面罩,被一道强光照花双眼。于是,紧接着厌恶感的取得,人的生活中又引进了性亢奋。如果没有粪便(从这个词的原义和比喻意义来看),就不会有我们所知道的性爱,以及伴随而来的心跳加快、两眼昏花。
Erigena's argument holds the key to a theological
justification (in other words, a theodicy) of shit. As long as man
was allowed to remain in Paradise, either (like Valentinus' Jesus)
he did not defecate at all, or (as would seem more likely) he did
not look upon shit as something repellent. Not until after God
expelled man from Paradise did He make him feel disgust. Man began
to hide what shamed him, and by the time he removed the veil, he
was blinded by a great light. Thus, immediately after his
introduction to disgust, he was introduced to excitement. Without
shit (in both the literal and figurative senses of the word), there
would be no sexual love as we know it, accompanied by pounding
heart and blinded
在我小说的第三章里,我讲到了萨宾娜半裸着身子,头上戴着圆顶礼帽,同穿戴整齐的托马斯站在一起。当时我有些事没来得及提到。她从镜子里看到自己时,因为她的自我亵渎而亢奋。她忽发奇想,似乎看到托马斯戴着圆顶礼帽,正使自己坐在抽水马桶上并看着自己排粪。她的心突然剧跳起来,几近昏晕的边缘。她把托马斯拖倒在地毯上,立刻发出了性高潮的叫喊。
In Part Three
of this novel I told the tale of Sabina standing half-naked with a
bowler hat on her head and the fully dressed Tomas at her side.
There is something I failed to mention at the time. While she was
looking at herself in the mirror, excited by her self-denigration,
she had a fantasy of Tomas seating her on the toilet in her bowler
hat and watching her void her bowels. Suddenly her heart began to
pound and, on the verge of fainting, she pulled Tomas down to the
rug and immediately let out an orgasmic
&有些人相信世界是上帝创造的,有些人认为世界乃自然生成,这两种人之间的争论涉及到一些超越我们理智和经验的现象。更为现实的倒是这条界线,区分着两类人,后者怀疑人的生命是受赐的(不论如何赐予,以及由谁来赐予),前者却毫无保留地接受赐予观点。
The dispute between those who believe that the world was
created by God and those who think it came into being of its own
accord deals with phenomena that go beyond our reason and
experience. Much more real is the line separating those who doubt
being as it is granted to man (no matter how or by whom) from those
who accept it without
reservation.
在欧洲所有宗教和政治的信仰后面,我们都可以找到《创世纪》第一章,它告诉我们,世界的创造是合理的,人类的存在是美好的,我们因此才得以繁衍。让我们把这种基本信念称为无条件认同生命存在。
Behind all the European faiths, religious and political,
we find the first chapter of Genesis, which tells us that the world
was created properly, that human existence is good, and that we are
therefore entitled to multiply. Let us call this basic faith a
categorical agreement with
直到最近,“大粪(Shit)”这个词才以“s……”的形式出现在印刷品中,这个事实与道德上的考虑毫无关系。你毕竟不能说大粪是不道德的!对大粪的反对是形而上的。每天排出大粪的程序,就是创世说不可接受的每天的证据。二者必居其一:或者大粪是可以接受的(在这种情况下,不要把你锁在卫生间里!),或者,我们就是被一种不可接受的方式所造就。
The fact that until recently the word shit appeared in
print as s— has nothing to do with moral considerations. You can't
claim that shit is immoral, after all! The objection to shit is a
metaphysical one. The daily defecation session is daily proof of
the unacceptability of Creation. Either/or: either shit is
acceptable (in which case don't lock yourself in the bathroom!) or
we are created in an unacceptable
那么,无条件认同生命存在的美学理想,必然是这样一个世界,在那里,大粪被否定,每个人都做出这事根本不存在的样子。这种美学理想可称为“媚俗作态”。
It follows, then, that the aesthetic ideal of the
categorical agreement with being is a world in which shit is denied
and everyone acts as though it did not exist. This aesthetic ideal
&&&“kiscll”是个德国词,产生于伤感的十九世纪的中期,后来进入了所有的西方语言。经过人们的反复运用,它形而上的初始含义便渐渐淹没了:不论是从大粪的原义还是从比喻意义上来说,媚俗就是对大粪的绝对否定;媚俗就是制定人类生存中一个基本不能接受的范围,并排拒来自它这个范围内的一切。
Kitsch is a
German word born in the middle of the sentimental nineteenth
century, and from German it entered all Western languages. Repeated
use, however, has obliterated its original metaphysical meaning:
kitsch is the absolute denial of shit, in both the literal and the
figurativ kitsch excludes everything from its
purview which is essentially unacceptable in human
existence.
&萨宾娜对国家当局最初的内心反感,与其说是具有道德性,还不如说带有美学性。她倒不怎么反感当局管辖下的丑陋(把荒废的城堡变成牛栏),却厌恶当局企图戴上美的假面具——换句话来说,就是当局的媚俗作态。当局媚俗作态的样板就是称为“五一节”的庆典。
Sabina's initial inner revolt against Communism was
aesthetic rather than ethical in character. What repelled her was
not nearly so much the ugliness of the Communist world (ruined
castles transformed into cow sheds) as the mask of beauty it tried
to wear—in other words, Communist kitsch. The model of Communist
kitsch is the ceremony called May
她看见过这种庆典游行,是在人们依然有热情或依然尽力装出热情的年代。女人们穿上红色、白色以及蓝色的衣裙,游行者队伍齐步行进时,阳台上或窗子前观看的老百姓便亮出各种五角星、红心、印刷字体。铜管小乐队伴随着一个个游行群体,使大家的步伐一致。当某个群体接近检阅台时,即使是最厌世的面孔上也要现出令入迷惑不解的微笑,似乎极力证明他们极其欢欣,更准确地说,是他们完全认同。不仅仅是认同当局的政治,不,更是对生命存在的认同。从无条件认同生命存在的深井里,这种庆典汲取了灵感。没有写出来、没有唱出来的游行口号不是“共产主义万岁!”而是“生活万岁!”这种白痴式的同义反复(“生活万岁!”),使那些漠然处之的人对当局的论点和游行也发生了兴趣。对这一口号的盗用,表现了当局的威力和灵巧。
She had seen
May Day parades during the time when people were still enthusiastic
or still did their best to feign enthusiasm. The women all wore
red, white, and blue blouses, and the public, looking on from
balconies and windows, could make out various five-pointed stars,
hearts, and letters when the marchers went into formation. Small
brass bands accompanied the individual groups, keeping everyone in
step. As a group approached the reviewing stand, even the most
blase faces would beam with dazzling smiles, as if trying to prove
they were properly joyful or, to be more precise, in proper
agreement. Nor were they merely expressing political agreement with
C no, theirs was an agreement with being as such. The May
Day ceremony drew its inspiration from the deep well of the
categorical agreement with being. The unwritten, unsung motto of
the parade was not Long live Communism! but Long live life! The
power and cunning of Communist politics lay in the fact that it
appropriated this slogan. For it was this idiotic tautology ( Long
live life! ) which attracted people indifferent to the theses of
Communism to the Communist
&十年后(这时她住在美国),萨宾娜朋友之一,一位美国参议员,用他的大轿车带她出去兜风。他的四个孩子在车后座跳上蹦下。参议员把车停在一个带有人造滑冰场的体育馆前面,四个孩子从车上跳出来,开始在四周宽阔的草坪上跑起来。参议员坐在方向盘后,美美地看着那四个活蹦乱跳的小身影,对萨宾娜说:“看看他们吧,”他用手臂划了个圆圈,把运动场、草地以及孩子都划在圈里,“瞧,这就是我所说的幸福。”
Ten years later (by which time she was living in
America), a friend of some friends, an American senator, took
Sabina for a drive in his gigantic car, his four children bouncing
up and down in the back. The senator stopped the car in front of a
stadium with an artificial skating rink, and the children jumped
out and started running along the large expanse of grass
surrounding it. Sitting behind the wheel and gazing dreamily after
the four little bounding figures, he said to Sabina, Just look at
them. And describing a circle with his arm, a circle that was meant
to take in stadium, grass, and children, he added, Now that's what
happiness.
他的话里面,不仅有看着孩子奔跑和绿草生长的欢欣,还有对一个来自共产党国家的难民的深深理解。参议员深信,在那个国家里是不会有绿草生长和孩子奔跑的。
Behind his words there was more than joy at seeing
childre there was a deep understanding of the
plight of a refugee from a Communist country where, the senator was
convinced, no grass grew or children
一瞬间,萨宾娜的脑子中闪现过一个幻影:这位参议员正站在布拉格广场的一个检阅台上。他脸上的微笑,就是那些当权者在高高的检阅台上,对下面带着同样笑容的游行公民发出的笑。
moment an image of the senator standing on a reviewing stand in a
Prague square flashed through Sabina's mind. The smile on his face
was the smile Communist statesmen beamed from the height of their
reviewing stand to the identically smiling citizens in the parade
&参议员怎么知道孩子就意昧着幸福?他能看透他们的灵魂?如果此刻他们都不见了,其中三个向第四个扑过去并狠狠揍他,那又意味着什么?
How did the senator know that children meant happiness?
Could he see into their souls? What if, the moment they were out of
sight, three of them jumped the fourth and began beating him
参议员只有一条理由对他有利:他的感情。心灵和大脑经常意见不合抵触龃龉。而在媚俗作态的王国里,心灵的专政是最高的统治。
The senator had only one argument in his favor: his
feeling. When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to
object. In the realm of kitsch, the dictatorship of the heart
媚俗所引起的感情是一种大众可以分享的东西。媚俗可以无须依赖某种非同寻常的情势,是铭刻在人们记忆中的某些基本印象把它派生出来的:忘恩负义的女儿,被冷落了的父亲,草地上奔跑的孩子,被出卖的祖国,第一次恋情。
The feeling induced by kitsch must be a kind the
multitudes can share. Kitsch may not, therefore, depend on an
it must derive from the basic images people have
engraved in their memories: the ungrateful daughter, the neglected
father, children running on the grass, the motherland betrayed,
媚俗引起两种前后紧密相连的泪流。第一种眼泪说:看见孩子们在草地上奔跑着,多好啊!
Kitsch causes two tears to flow in quick succession. The
first tear says: How nice to see children running on the
第二种眼泪说:和所有的人类在一起,被草地上奔跑的孩子们所感动,多好啊!
The second tear says: How nice to be moved, together with
all mankind, by children running on the
&第二种眼泪使媚俗更媚俗。地球上人的博爱将只可能以媚俗作态为基础。
second tear that makes kitsch kitsch.
The brotherhood of man on earth will be possible only on a base of
&没有比政客更懂得这一点了。无论何时,一个照相机即将开拍,他们会立即奔向最近前的孩子,把他举到空中,亲吻他的脸蛋。媚俗是所有政客的美学理想,也是所有政容党派和政治活动的美学理想。
And no one knows this better than politicians. Whenever a
camera is in the offing, they immediately run to the nearest child,
lift it in the air, kiss it on the cheek. Kitsch is the aesthetic
ideal of all politicians and all political parties and
movements.
各种政治倾向并存的社会里,竞争中的各种影响互相抵销或限制,我们居于其中,还能设法或多或少地逃避这种媚俗作态的统治:各人可以保留自己的个性,艺术家可以创造不见的作品。但是,无论何时一旦某个政治运动垄断了权力,我们便发观自己置身于媚俗作态的极权统治王国。
Those of us who live in a society where various political
tendencies exist side by side and competing influences cancel or
limit one another can manage more or less to escape the kitsch
inquisition: the individual can preser the
artist can create unusual works. But whenever a single political
movement corners power, we find ourselves in the realm of
totalitarian
我说到极权统治,我的意思是一切侵犯媚俗的东西必将从生活中清除掉:每一种个性的展示(在博爱者微笑的眼里,任何偏离集体的东西均遭藐视);每一种怀疑(任何以怀疑局部始的人,都将以怀疑生活自身而终);所有的嘲讽(在媚俗的王国里,一切都必须严肃对待),以及抛弃了家庭的女人,或者爱男性胜过爱女性的男人。于是,“丰富而且多彩”这样神圣的法令,就成为了疑问。
When I say totalitarian, what I mean is that everything
that infringes on kitsch must be banished for life: every display
of individualism (because a deviation from the collective is a spit
in the eye of the smiling brotherhood); every doubt (because anyone
who starts doubting details will end by doubting life itself); all
irony (because in the realm of kitsch everything must be taken
quite seriously); and the mother who abandons her family or the man
who prefers men to women, thereby calling into question the holy
decree Be fruitful and
根据这一点,我们可以把古拉格当作媚俗作态极极统治用来处理垃圾的化粪池。
light, we can regard the gulag as a septic tank used by
totalitarian kitsch to dispose of its
&紧接着第二次世界大战的十年,是最可怕的斯大林恐怖时期。当时特丽莎的父亲由于鬼混而被捕,十岁的特丽莎被逐出家门。这也是二十岁的萨宾娜在美术学院学习的时候。在那里,她的马列教授向她解释社会主义艺术的理论:社会主义社会如此飞跃进展,其基本矛盾不再是好与坏的矛盾,而是好与更好的矛盾。所以大粪(那是无论如何也根本不能接受的了)只能存在“在那一边(比如说,在美国)”,象一些异己的东西(比如说特务),只有从那里,从外部,才能打入这个“好与更好”的世界。
The decade immediately following the Second World War was
a time of the most horrible Stalinist terror. It was the time when
Tereza's father was arrested on some piddling charge and
ten-year-old Tereza was thrown out of their flat. It was also the
time when twenty-year-old Sabina was studying at the Academy of
Fine Arts. There, her professor of Marxism expounded on the
following theory of socialist art: Soviet society had made such
progress that the basic conflict was no longer between good and
evil but between good and better. So shit (that is, whatever is
essentially unacceptable) could exist only on the other side (in
America, for instance), and only from there, from the outside, as
something alien (a spy, for instance), could it penetrate the world
of good and
事实上,在那最严酷的时代,苏联电影在所有“好与更好”的国家泛滥。电影中充满了不可信的纯洁和高雅。两个苏联人之间可以出现的最大冲突,无非是情人的误会:他以为她不再爱他;她以为他不再爱她。但在最后一幕,两人都投入对方的怀抱,幸福的热泪在脸上流淌。
And in fact, Soviet films, which flooded the cinemas of
all Communist countries in that crudest of times, were saturated
with incredible innocence and chastity. The greatest conflict that
could occur between two Russians was a lovers' misunderstanding: he
thought she she thought he no longer loved
her. But in the final scene they would fall into each other's arms,
tears of happiness trickling down their
对这些电影流行的老一套解释就是:电影表现了共产主义的理想,现实当然比理想要差一些。
The current conventional interpretation of these films is
this: that they showed the Communist ideal, whereas Communist
reality was
萨宾娜总是反感这些解释。只要一想到苏式媚俗的世界行将成为现实,就感到背上一阵发麻。她毫不犹豫地愿意选择当局统治下那种受迫害和受宰割的现实生活,这种现实生活还是能过下去的。如果在那种理想式的现实世界里,那些白痴们咧嘴傻笑的世界里,她将无话可说,一个星期之内就会被吓死。
Sabina always rebelled against that interpretation.
Whenever she imagined the world of Soviet kitsch becoming a
reality, she felt a shiver run down her back. She would
unhesitatingly prefer life in a real Communist regime with all its
persecution and meat queues. Life in the real Communist world was
still livable. In the world of the Communist ideal made real, in
that world of grinning idiots, she would have nothing to say, she
would die of horror within a
苏式媚俗给萨宾娜的感觉,非常象特丽莎梦中所经历的恐怖一样震动了我。特丽莎与一群裸体女人绕着游泳池行进,被迫高兴地唱歌。下面的水面上漂浮着一具具尸体。特丽莎不能对任何女人提一个问题,说一个宇,唯一能够做出的反应,就是接唱下一段流行歌。她甚至不能对她们任何人偷偷眨眼,她们会立即向那个游泳池上篮子里的男人指出她来,他将把她枪毙。
The feeling Soviet kitsch evoked in Sabina strikes me as
very much like the horror Tereza experienced in her dream of being
marched around a swimming pool with a group of naked women and
forced to sing cheerful songs with them while corpses floated just
below the surface of the pool. Tereza could not address a single
question, a single word, the only response she
would have got was the next stanza of the current song. She could
not even give any o they would immediately
have pointed her out to the man standing in the basket above the
pool, and he would have shot her
特丽莎的梦揭示了媚俗的真实作用:媚俗是一道为掩盖死亡而关起来的屏幕。
dream reveals the true function of kitsch: kitsch is a folding
screen set up to curtain off
&在媚俗作态的极权统治王国里,所有答案都是预先给定的,对任何问题都有效。因此,媚俗极权统治的真正死敌就是爱提问题的人。一个问题就象一把刀,会划破舞台上的景幕,让我们看到藏在后面的东西。事实上,这就是萨宾娜向特丽莎解释的自己画作的准确意义:表面上是明白无误的谎言,底下却透出神秘莫测的真理。
In the realm of totalitarian kitsch, all answers are
given in advance and preclude any questions. It follows, then, that
the true opponent of totalitarian kitsch is the person who asks
questions. A question is like a knife that slices through the stage
backdrop and gives us a look at what lies hidden behind it. In
fact, that was exactly how Sabina had explained the meaning of her
paintings to Tereza: on the surface,
underneath, the unintelligible truth showing
但是,反对我们称为媚俗作态极权统治的这种东西的人们,感到质问和怀疑无补于事,他们也需要确定而简单的真理,让大众理解,激发群体的眼泪。
But the people who struggle against what we call
totalitarian regimes cannot function with queries and doubts. They,
too, need certainties and simple truths to make the multitudes
understand, to provoke collective
德国一个政治组织曾为萨宾娜举办过一次画展。她打开目录,第一张图就是自己的照片,上面添画了一些铁丝网。她在照片旁边,还发现了一份读上去象某位圣女或某位烈士的小传;她遭受过极大的痛苦,为反对非义而斗争,被迫放弃了正在流血的家园,却继续在斗争着。“她的画作是争取幸福的斗争”,文章以这句话而告结束。
Sabina had once had an exhibit that was organized by a
political organization in Germany. When she picked up the
catalogue, the first thing she saw was a picture of herself with a
drawing of barbed wire superimposed on it. Inside she found a
biography that read like the life of a saint or martyr: she had
suffered, struggled against injustice, been forced to abandon her
bleeding homeland, yet was carrying on the struggle. Her paintings
are a struggle for happiness was the final
她抗议,但他们不能理解她。
She protested, but they did not understand
你是说共产主义不迫害现代艺术吗?
“我的敌人是媚俗,不是共产主义!”她愤怒地回答。
Do you mean that modern art isn't persecuted under
Communism?
My enemy is kitsch, not Communism! she replied,
infuriated.
那以后,她开始在自己的小传中故弄玄虚,到美国后,甚至设法隐瞒自己是个捷克人的事实。唯一的目的,就是不顾一切地试图逃离人们要强加在她生活中的媚俗。
time on, she began to insert mystifications in her biography, and
by the time she got to America she even managed to hide the fact
that she was Czech. It was all merely a desperate attempt to escape
the kitsch that people wanted to make of her
&& 她站在画架前,上面有一幅未完成的作品。身后椅子上的老人,仔细观察着她的每一笔触。
She stood in front of her easel with a half-finished
canvas on it, the old man in the armchair behind her observing
every stroke of her
&“该回家了。”他终于看了看表。她放下调色板,去卫生间洗手。老人也使自己从椅子里站起来,去拿斜靠在泉边的拐杖。画室的门通向外边的草地。天已渐渐落黑了,五十英尺开外,是一栋白色的隔板房,一楼的窗口亮着灯光。萨宾娜被这两个光辉投照着暮色的窗口感动了。
It's time we went home, he said at last with a glance at
his watch.
She laid down her palette and went into the bathroom to wash. The
old man raised himself out of the armchair and reached for his
cane, which was leaning against a table. The door of the studio led
directly out to the lawn. It was growing dark. Fifty feet away was
a white clapboard house. The ground-floor windows were lit. Sabina
was moved by the two windows shining out into the dying
她一生都宣称媚俗是死敌,但实际上她难道就不曾有过媚俗吗?她的媚俗是关于家庭的幻象,一切都那么安宁,那么静谈,那么和谐,由一位可爱的摄亲和一位聪慧的父亲掌管。这种幻觉是双亲死后她脑子里形成的。她的生活越是不似那甜美的梦,她就越是对这梦境的魔力表现出敏感。当她看到伤感影片中忘思负义的女儿终于拥抱无人关心的苍苍老父,每当她看到幸福家庭的窗口向迷蒙暮色投照出光辉,她就不止一次地流出泪水。
All her life she had proclaimed kitsch her enemy. But
hadn't she in fact been carrying it with her? Her kitsch was her
image of home, all peace, quiet, and harmony, and ruled by a loving
mother and wise father. It was an image that took shape within her
after the death of her parents. The less her life resembled that
sweetest of dreams, the more sensitive she was to its magic, and
more than once she shed tears when the ungrateful daughter in a
sentimental film embraced the neglected father as the windows of
the happy family's house shone out into the dying
她是在纽约遇见这位老人的。他富裕而且爱画,身边只有上了年纪的老伴,住在一栋乡间房舍里。正对着那房舍,他的土地上有一间旧马厩。他为萨宾娜把马厩改建成画室,而且每天都目随萨宾娜的画笔运行,直到黄昏。
She had met the old man in New York. He was rich and
liked paintings. He lived alone with his wife, also aging, in a
house in the country. Facing the house, but still on his land,
stood an old stable. He had had it remodeled into a studio for
Sabina and would follow the movements of her brush for days on
现在他们三人一起吃晚饭。老太太把萨宾娜唤作“我的女儿”,但一切迹象都会使人导出相反的结论,就是说,萨宾娜倒是母亲,而她的这两个孩子喜欢她,崇拜她,愿意做她所要求的一切。
Now all three of them were having supper together. The
old woman called Sabina my daughter, but all indications would lead
one to believe the opposite, namely, that Sabina was the mother and
that her two children doted on her, worshipped her, would do
anything she
她这个也即将进入老年的人,象一个小女孩那样找回了曾被夺走的父母吗?她终于找回了她自己从未有过的孩子吗?
Had she then, herself on the threshold of old age, found
the parents who had been snatched from her as a girl? Had she at
last found the children she had never had
她清楚地意识到,这只是一个幻觉。她与这老两口过的日子只是一个短暂的间歇。老头病得很重,一旦撇下老伴去了,老太太将去加拿大跟儿子一块儿过。那么,萨宾娜的背叛之途又将在别的什么地方继续。一曲关于两个闪光窗口及其窗后幸福家庭生活的歌,憨傻而脆弱,不时从她生命的深处飘出,汇入那生命中不可承受之轻。
She was well aware it was an illusion. Her days with the
aging couple were merely a brief interval. The old man was
seriously ill, and when his wife was left on her own, she would go
and live with their son in Canada. Sabina's path of betrayals would
then continue elsewhere, and from the depths of her being, a silly
mawkish song about two shining windows and the happy family living
behind them would occasionally make its way into the unbearable
lightness of
她被这首歌打动,但并不对这种感情过于认真。她太知道了,这首歌只是一个美丽的谎言。媚俗一旦被识破为谎言,它就进入了非媚俗的环境牵制之中,就将失去它独裁的威权,变得如同人类其它弱点一样动人。我们中间没有一个超人,强大得足以完全逃避媚俗。无论我们如何鄙视它,媚俗都是人类境况的一个组成部分。
touched by the song, Sabina did not take her feeling seriously. She
knew only too well that the song was a beautiful lie. As soon as
kitsch is recognized for the lie it is, it moves into the context
of non-kitsch, thus losing its authoritarian power and becoming as
touching as any other human weakness. For none among us is superman
enough to escape kitsch completely. No matter how we scorn it,
kitsch is an integral part of the human
condition.
&媚俗起源于无条件地认同生命存在。但生命存在的基础是什么?上帝?人类?斗争?爱情?男人?女人?
Kitsch has its source in the categorical agreement with
But what is the basis of being? God? Mankind? Struggle? Love? Man?
由于意见不一,也有各种不同的媚俗:天主教的,新教的,犹太教的,共产主义的,法西斯主义的,民主主义的,女权主义的,欧洲的,美国的,民族的,国际的。
Since opinions vary, there are various kitsches:
Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Communist, Fascist, democratic,
feminist, European, American, national,
international.
法国大革命以来,欧洲被认为一半是左派的,另一半是右派的。根据各自声称的理论原则给这一派或那一派下定义都完全不可能。这不足为奇:政治运动并不怎么依赖于理性态度,倒更依赖于奇想、印象、言词以及模式,依赖于它们总合而成的这种或那种政治媚俗。
Since the days of the French Revolution, one half of
Europe has been referred to as the left, the other half as the
right. Yet to define one or the other by means of the theoretical
principles it professes is all but impossible. And no wonder:
political movements rest not so much on rational attitudes as on
the fantasies, images, words, and archetypes that come together to
make up this or that political
弗兰茨如此陶醉于伟大的进军,这种幻想就是把各个时代内各种倾向的激进派纠合在一起的政治媚俗。伟大的进军是通向博爱、平等、正义、幸福的光辉进军,尽管障碍重重,仍然一往无前。进军既然是伟大的进军,障碍当然在所难免。
The fantasy of the Grand March that Franz was so
intoxicated by is the political kitsch joining leftists of all
times and tendencies. The Grand March is the splendid march on the
road to brotherhood, equality, justice, it goes on and
on, obstacles notwithstanding, for obstacles there must be if the
march is to be the Grand
是无产阶级专政还是民主主义专政?是反对消费社会还是要求扩大生产?是断头台还是废除死刑?这一切都离题甚远。把一个左派造就为左派的,不是这样或那样的理论,而是一种能力,能把任何理论都揉合到称之为伟大进军的媚俗中去。
dictatorship of the proletariat or democracy? Rejection of the
consumer society or demands for increased productivity? The
guillotine or an end to the death penalty? It is all beside the
point. What makes a leftist a leftist is not this or that theory
but his ability to integrate any theory into the kitsch called the
Grand March.
&弗兰茨显然不是媚俗的信徒。伟大进军在他生活中扮演的角色,多少有点象萨宾娜生活中那关于两个闪亮窗口的哀婉之歌。弗兰茨投哪个政党的票?恐怕他什么票也不会投,感兴趣的是徒步旅行到山里去度过选举日,当然,这并不意昧着他不会被伟大的进军所打动。梦想着我们是跨越世世代代进军中欢乐的一群,总是美好的,弗兰茨从未完全忘记过这种梦。
Franz was obviously not a devotee of kitsch. The fantasy
of the Grand March played more or less the same role in his life as
the mawkish song about the two brightly lit windows in Sabina's.
What political party did Franz vote for? I am afraid he did not
he preferred to spend Election Day hiking in the
mountains. Which does not, of course, imply that he was no longer
touched by the Grand March. It is always nice to dream that we are
part of a jubilant throng marching through the centuries, and Franz
never quite forgot the
一天,有些朋友从巴黎给他打电话,他们计划向柬埔寨进军,邀请他参加。
One day, some friends phoned him from Paris. They were
planning a march on Cambodia and invited him to join
柬埔寨近来一直遍布美国炸弹,一场内战,使这个小小的民族失去了五分之一的人口,最后,它被相邻的越南所占领。而越南纯粹是苏联的附庸。柬埔寨受到饥荒的折磨,缺医少药的人们正在死去。一个国际医疗机构再三要求允许入境,都被越南拒之门外。现在的办法是,让一群西方重要的知识分子开到柬埔寨边境,用这种世界人民众目睽睽之下的壮观表演,迫使占领军允许医生入境。
Cambodia had recently been through American bombardment,
a civil war, a paroxysm of carnage by local Communists that reduced
the small nation by a fifth, and finally occupation by neighboring
Vietnam, which by then was a mere vassal of Russia. Cambodia was
racked by famine, and people were dying for want of medical care.
An international medical committee had repeatedly requested
permission to enter the country, but the Vietnamese had turned them
down. The idea was for a group of important Western intellectuals
to march to the Cambodian border and by means of this great
spectacle performed before the eyes of the world to force the
occupied country to allow the doctors
给弗兰茨打电话的人,曾在巴黎街头与他一同进军。一开始,弗兰茨被这个邀请弄得欢喜若狂,随后,眼光落在房子那边扶手椅里的学生情妇身上。对方仰视着他,眼镜的大圆镜片把她的眼睛扩大了。弗兰茨感到这双眼睛在乞求自己别去。他歉疚地谢绝了邀请。
The friend who spoke to Franz was one he had marched with
through the streets of Paris. At first Franz was thrilled by the
invitation, but then his eye fell on his student-mistress sitting
across the room in an armchair. She was looking up at him, her eyes
magnified by the big round lenses in her glasses. Franz had the
feeling those eyes were begging him not to go. And so he
apologetically
刚接上电话,他马上对自己的决定有些后悔。真是,他关照了现实中的情妇,却忽略了精神上的爱情。柬埔寨不是与萨宾娜的国家一样吗?一个被邻国军队占领了的国家,一个已感受到俄国巨掌重压的国家!刹那闯,他觉得那位几乎忘记了的朋友,是在根据萨宾娜的秘密吩咐与他联络的。
No sooner had he hung up than he regretted his decision.
True, he had taken care of his earthly mistress, but he had
neglected his unearthly love. Wasn't Cambodia the same as Sabina's
country? A country occupied by its neighbor's Communist army! A
country that had felt the brunt of Russia's fist! All at once,
Franz felt that his half-forgotten friend had contacted him at
Sabina's secret
上天之灵知道一切,看见一切。如果他参加这次进军,萨宾娜会从上面惊喜地看着他,会明白他还保持了对她的忠诚。
Heavenly bodies know all and see all. If he went on the
march, Sabina would gaze do she would
understand that he had remained faithful to
“要是我参加进军,你会非常不安吗?”他问戴眼镜的姑娘。这位姑娘把他每一天的离开都看成损失,但事事都依他。
Would you be terribly upset if I went on the march? he
asked the girl with the glasses, who counted every day away from
him a loss, yet could not deny him a
几天后,他与二十名医生,以及大约五十位知识分子(教授、作家、外交家、歌唱家、演员以及市长),还有四百名新闻记者和摄影师,一道乘坐一架巨大的喷气式飞机,从巴黎起飞了。
Several days
later he was in a large jet taking off from Paris with twenty
doctors and about fifty intellectuals (professors, writers,
diplomats, singers, actors, and mayors) as well as four hundred
reporters and
photographers.
&飞机在曼谷着陆。四百七十名医生、知识分子以及记者挤进了一家国际饭店的大舞厅。那儿聚集着更多的医生、演员、歌唱家、语言学专家,还有数百名带有笔记本、录音机、照相机以及摄像机的记者。乐台上约摸二十个美国人坐在一条长桌边上,正在主持各项事宜。
The plane landed in Bangkok. Four hundred and seventy
doctors, intellectuals, and reporters made their way to the large
ballroom of an international hotel, where more doctors, actors,
singers, and professors of linguistics had gathered with several
hundred journalists bearing notebooks, tape recorders, and cameras,
still and video. On the podium, a group of twenty or so Americans
sitting at a long table were presiding over the
proceedings.
和弗兰茨一起进舞厅的那些法国知识分子,感到受了轻视和侮辱。向柬埔寨进军是他们的主意,可这里的这些美国人,象平常一样恬不知耻,不但接管了领导权,而且是用英语接管的,殊不知丹麦人和法国人听不懂他们的话。丹麦人早已忘记了他们曾形成了一个自己的民族,因此法国佬便是唯一能进行抗议的欧洲人了。他们的原则是如此之高,以至拒绝用英语抗议,而用母语法文向台上的美国人申明理由。那些美国人一个字也听不懂,报以友好和赞同的微笑。到最后,法国人别无它法,只得用英语讲出他们的反对意见:“有法国人参加,这个会为什么用英语?”
The French intellectuals with whom Franz had entered the
ballroom felt slighted and humiliated. The march on Cambodia had
been their idea, and here the Americans, supremely unabashed as
usual, had not only taken over, but had taken over in English
without a thought that a Dane or a Frenchman might not understand
them. And because the Danes had long since forgotten that they once
formed a nation of their own, the French were the only Europeans
capable of protest. So high were their principles that they refused
to protest in English, and made their case to the Americans on the
podium in their mother tongue. The Americans, not understanding a
word, reacted with friendly, agreeing smiles. In the end, the
French had no choice but to frame their objection in English: Why
is this meeting in English when there are Frenchmen
美国人对如此奇特的反对很觉惊奇,但仍然微笑,默认这个会议是该用两种语言进行的。于是,在会议重新召开之前,得找一个合适的译员。随后,每个句子都用英语和法语两种语言重复,使讨论花了两倍的时间,甚至还不止两倍,因为所有的法国人都懂一些英语,他们不时打断译员的话来给他纠错,对每一个字都争议不休。
Though amazed at so curious an objection, the Americans,
still smiling, acquiesced: the meeting would be run bilingually.
Before it could resume, however, a suitable interpreter had to be
found. Then, every sentence had to resound in both English and
French, which made the discussion take twice as long, or rather
more than twice as long, since all the French had some English and
kept interrupting the interpreter to correct him, disputing every
一位著名的美国女演员站起来发言,使会议达到了高潮。就因为她,更多的摄影记者和摄像师涌进了大厅,用照相机的咔嚓声伴随她发出的每一个音节。女演员谈到了受难的儿童,共产党专政的残暴,人权的保障,当前对文明社会传统价值的威胁,个人不可剥夺的自由,还谈到卡特总统,说他对柬埔寨事件表示深深的忧虑。她结束发言时,已是热泪盈眶。
The meeting reached its peak when a famous American
actress rose to speak. Because of her, even more photographers and
cameramen streamed into the auditorium, and every syllable she
pronounced was accompanied by the click of another camera. The
actress spoke about suffering children, about the barbarity of
Communist dictatorship, the human right to security, the current
threat to the traditional values of civilized society, the
inalienable freedom of the human individual, and President Carter,
who was deeply sorrowed by the events in Cambodia. By the time she
had pronounced her closing words, she was in
一位长着小红胡子的法国年轻医生,跳出来吼道:“我们到这儿来是救死扶伤,不是来向卡特总统致敬!别把这儿变成美国宣传的马戏场啦!我们不是来反共!我们是来这儿救命!”
他马上得到另外几个法国人的响应。
Then up jumped a young French doctor with a red mustache
and shouted, We're here to cure dying people, not to pay homage to
President Carter! Let's not turn this into an American propaganda
circus! We're not here to protest against Communism! We're here to
save lives!
He was immediately seconded by several other
Frenchmen.
译员害怕了,不敢把他们的话翻译出来。于是乐台上的二十个美国人满脸笑容,好意地看着他们,一再点头表示赞同。其中一位甚至把拳头举向空中,他知道欧洲人在众人同乐时,是喜欢挥举拳头的。
interpreter was frightened and did not dare translate what they
said. So the twenty Americans on the podium looked on once more
with smiles full of good will, many nodding agreement. One of them
even lifted his fist in the air because he knew Europeans liked to
raise their fists in times of collective
How can it be
that leftist intellectuals (because the doctor with the mustache
was nothing if not a leftist intellectual) are willing to march
against the interests of a Communist country when Communism has
always been considered the left's
crimes of the country called the Soviet Union became too
scandalous, a leftist had two choices: either to spit on his former
life and stop marching or (more or less sheepishly) to reclassify
the Soviet Union as an obstacle to the Grand March and march
Have I not
said that what makes a leftist a leftist is the kitsch of the Grand
March? The identity of kitsch comes not from a political strategy
but from images, metaphors, and vocabulary. It is therefore
possible to break the habit and march against the interests of a
Communist country. What is impossible, however, is to substitute
one word for others. It is possible to threaten the Vietnamese army
with one's fist. It is impossible to shout Down with Communism!
Down with Communism! is a slogan belonging to the enemies of the
Grand March, and anyone worried about losing face must remain
faithful to the purity of his own
reason I bring all this up is to explain the misunderstanding
between the French doctor and the American actress, who, egocentric
as she was, imagined herself the victim of envy or misogyny. In
point of fact, the French doctor displayed a finely honed aesthetic
sensibility: the phrases President Carter, our traditional values,
the barbarity of Communism all belong to the vocabulary of American
kitsch and have nothing to do with the kitsch of the Grand
第二天早晨,他们乘公共汽车横越泰国去柬埔寨边境,晚上在一个小村子里歇息,租了几间吊脚楼的房子。周期性的洪水迫使村民们住在楼上,把他们的猪关在楼下。弗兰茨和另外四个教授佐一间房子,远远传来猪的呼唱,近处却有著名数学家的鼾声。
morning, they all boarded buses and rode through Thailand to the
Cambodian border. In the evening, they pulled into a small village
where they had rented several houses on stilts. The regularly
flooding river forced the villagers to live above ground level,
while their pigs huddled down below. Franz slept in a room with
four other professors. From afar came the oinking of the swine,
from up close the snores of a famous
mathematician.
早上,他们又爬回汽车。在离边境约一英里的地方,所有的车辆都禁止行驶,过边境只能通过一条重兵把守的狭窄要道。车停了,法国小分队从车上涌下来,再一次发现美国人又占了他们的上风,组成了游行的先头部队。关键时刻到了。译员又给叫了来,接着是长久的争吵。最后大家同意了以下的方案:游行队伍由一个美国人,一个法国人以及一名柬埔寨译员领先,接下来是医生,再后面是余下来的人群。那位美国女演员压阵。
morning, they climbed back into the buses. At a point about a mile
from the border, all vehicular traffic was prohibited. The border
crossing could be reached only by means of a narrow, heavily
guarded road. The buses stopped. The French contingent poured out
of them only to find that again the Americans had beaten them and
formed the vanguard of the parade. The crucial moment had come. The
interpreter was recalled and a long quarrel ensued. At last
everyone assented to the following: the parade would be headed by
one American, one Frenchman, and the C next
would come the doctors, and only then the rest of the crowd. The
American actress brought up the
道路狭窄,而且沿途有布雷区,加上有路障——环绕着铁丝网的两个水泥地堡。道路更窄了——只能成单行穿过。
The road was
narrow and lined with minefields. Every so often it was narrowed
even more by a barrier—two cement blocks wound round with barbed
wire—passable only in single
弗兰茨前面约十五英尺处,是一位著名的德国诗人兼流行歌手,已为和平写了九百三十首反战歌曲。他带来一根长杆子,挑一面白旗,衬托出自己全黑的胡子,把自己与其他人区别开来。
fifteen feet ahead of Franz was a famous German poet and pop singer
who had already written nine hundred thirty songs for peace and
against war. He was carrying a long pole topped by a white flag
that set off his full black beard and set him apart from the
长长的游行队伍此起彼伏,摄影记者和摄像师抢拍镜头,哗哗地摆弄着他们的设备,飞快地冲到队伍前面,停一停,又缓缓向后退着,不时单腿跪下,然后又挺起身子跑到前面更远的地方。他们不时唤着某位著名人士的名字,那人便不知不觉地转向他们的方向,使他们有足够的时间按下快门。
and down the long parade, photographers and cameramen were snapping
and whirring their equipment, dashing up to the front, pausing,
inching back, dropping to their knees, then straightening up and
running even farther ahead. Now and then they would call out the
name of some celebrity, who would then unwittingly turn in their
direction just long enough to let them trigger their
&什么声音传来了。人们放慢步子朝后看。
Something was in the air. People were slowing down and
落在最后的美国女演员,再也忍受不了这种黯然失色的压阵者地位,决定发起进攻。她全速向队伍前面跑去,就象一位参加五千米长跑比赛的运动员,开始为了节省体力一直落在其他人后面,现在突然奋力向前,开始把对手一个接一个地甩下。
The American actress, who had ended up in the rear, could
no longer stand the disgrace of it and, determined to take the
offensive, was sprinting to the head of the parade. It was as if a
runner in a five-kilometer race, who had been saving his strength
by hanging back with the pack, had suddenly sprung forward and
started overtaking his opponents one by
男人们为难地笑笑,让了步,不想挫伤这位著名长跑运动员取胜的决心,但女人们发出叫喊:“回到队伍里去!这不是明星的队伍!”
The men stepped back with embarrassed smiles, not wishing
to spoil the famous runner's bid for victory, but the women yelled,
Get back in line! This is no star
大无畏的女演员仍然一往无前,五名摄影记者和两名摄像师尾随其后。
Undaunted, the actress pushed on, a suite of five
photographers and two cameramen in
突然,一位法国语言学女教授抓住了她的手腕,(以极难听的英语)说:“这是一支医生的队伍,来给那些垂危的柬埔寨人治病,不是为电影明星捧场的惊险表演!”
Suddenly a Frenchwoman, a professor of linguistics,
grabbed the actress by the wrist and said (in terrible-sounding
English), This is a parade for doctors who have come to care for
mortally ill Cambodians, not a publicity stunt for movie
女演员的手被语言学教授的手紧紧锁住,无法挣脱。“你到底想要干什么?”她(用纯正的英语)说,“我参加过一百次这样的游行了,没有明星,你们哪里也去不了!这是我们的工作,我们道义的职责!”
The actress's wrist was locked in the linguistics
professor' she could do nothing to pry it loose. What the
hell do you think you're doing? she said (in perfect English). I've
been in a hundred parades like this! You won't get anywhere without
stars! It's our job! Our moral
obligation!
“放屁!”语言学教授(用地道的法语)说。美国女演员听明白了,放声大哭起来。
“请别动!”一位摄像师大叫,在她脚边跪倒。女演员对着他的镜头留下一个长长的回望,泪珠从脸上滚下来,
Merde said
the linguistics professor (in perfect French).
The American actress understood and burst into tears.
Hold it, please, a cameraman called out and knelt at her feet. The
actress gave a long look into his lens, the tears flowing down her
&语言学教授终于放开了美国女演员的手腕。那位有黑胡子和白旗子的德国流行歌手,叫了声女演员的名字。
When at last the linguistics professor let go of the
American actress's wrist, the German pop singer with the black
beard and white flag called out her
美国女演员从未听说过他,但她刚经过羞辱,比往常更容易接受同情,朝他跑了过去。歌唱家换上左手擎旗杆,右手搭在她肩上。
The American actress had never heard of him, but after
being humiliated she was more receptive to sympathy than usual and
ran over to him. The singer switched the pole to his left hand and
put his right arm around her
shoulders.
他们立即被新的摄影记者和摄像师所包围。一位著名的美国摄影记者为了把他们的脸和旗子一起塞进镜头,颇费了些周折。旗杆太长,他往身后的稻田移了几步,竞踏响了一个地雷。轰然一声爆炸,他的身体撕成了碎片,在空中飞舞,一片血雨洗浴着欧洲的知识分子们。
They were immediately surrounded by new photographers and
cameramen. A well-known American photographer, having trouble
squeezing both their faces and the flag into his viewfinder because
the pole was so long, moved back a few steps into the ricefield.
And so it happened that he stepped on a mine. An explosion rang
out, and his body, ripped to pieces, went flying through the air,
raining a s}

我要回帖

更多关于 their 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信