三十而立演员表的而是什么意思 而表顺承不译还是译为就

“三十而立”的诸多英译
已有 6292 次阅读
|个人分类:|系统分类:|关键词:三十而立 中国 孔子 人生 博士
博友刘玉仙女士在其博士论文的后记中引用了孔子《为政•第二》中的名句,以表达她对人生的认识。她和我都是在40多岁完成的博士论文,所以对她的遭际深表理解。而且我也认为,孔子所言之“四十不惑”并不完全成立。中国向来都有“人过三十不学艺”的说法,因为按照孔子的说法,人到三十岁就“而立”了。但我们却没有“立”起来,孔子的原话是“吾十有五,而志于学。三十而立,四十而不惑,五十而知天命,六十而耳顺,七十而从心所欲。不逾矩”。刘玉仙女士重点在谈感受,所以她一上来就有一段简单翻译,并认为译得不好。但我觉得前半部分译得不好,后面那句还不错:At thirty, a man should be able to think for himself. Life begins at forty. 为什么说前半部分不好?因为这句话的主语,孔子是位男子,当然他可以说“吾”(我)。可是这句的译文却把“我”泛化了,成了a man(任何一个男人),这就脱离孔子的本意,我想在孔子那个时代女人的地位并不高,所以刘玉仙大概也不认同这一点。可是后面那一句,Life begins at forty我猜想似乎是刘女士的真正想法。我早就说过,。例如“女人四十豆腐渣”就是一例。可是现在的说法却改为“”。The Master said: "At fifteen, I had my mind bent on learning. At thirty, I stood firm. At forty, I had no doubts. At fifty, I know the decrees of Heaven. At sixty, my ear was an obedient organ for the reception of truth. At seventy, I could follow what my heart desired, without transgressing what was right."而韦利的翻译是这样的:The Master said, At fifteen I set my heart upon learning. At thirty, I had planted my feet firm upon the ground. At forty, I no longer suffered from perplexities. At fifty, I knew what were the biddings of Heaven. At sixty, I heard them with docile ear. At seventy, I could follow the dict for what I desired no longer overstepped the boundaries of right.究竟哪种更好?刘玉仙并没有用理和韦译,可在后记中又要用到这句话,怎么办?刘博友查到了Wikipeadia的译法(恕我驽钝没有查到):When I am fifteen, I aspired to learn. At thirty, I can be independent. At forty, I am not deluded. (I no longer suffered from perplexities?)At fifty, I knew my destiny. At sixty, I knew truth in all I heard. At seventy, I could follow my heart's desire without overstepping the line.,这一译法明显与理雅各的相似:"At fifteen my heart at thirty I at forty I at fifty I knew t at sixty at seventy I could follow my heart's desire without transgressing the norm."但还有几种是近年来中国人翻译的,例如,山东曲阜师范大学的李天辰等人译的:The Master said, “At fifteen I set my heart upon learning. At thirty I was firmly established. At forty I had no more doubts. At fifty I knew the rules of things in the universe. At sixty I could judge correctly whatever I have heard. At seventy I could follow my heart’s desire without violating the regulations.” 李天辰等译《论语汉英对照读本》,山东大学出版社,1991年版,第13页以及华语教学出版社1994年的版本:Confucius said, “Since the age of 15, I have devote since 30, I have b since 40, I have understood many things and have no
since 50, I have known my heaven- since 60, I have been able to distinguish right and wrong in other people’ and since 70, I have been able to do what I intend freely without breaking the rules.” 《论语》Analects of Confucius:文白、汉英对照、蔡希勤中文译注;赖波、夏玉和英文翻译。北京:华语教学出版社,1994年版,第8页当然还有其他的一些译法,我不能罗列了,仅举刘玉仙在她的回复中所提到的丘文明的译文:The Master said,"At fifteen I resolved to study seriously. At thirty I became established. At forty I was free of doubts. At fifty I knew destiny, at sixty the ear functioned smoothly. At seventy I could follow my heart's desire and not step out-of-bounds还有其他几种也稍上,算是那41种译文中的代表吧:Confucius said," Since the age of 15, I have devote Since 30, I have b since 40, I have understood many things and have no
Since 50, I have known my heaven- since 60, I have been able to distinguish right and wrong in other people' and since 70, I have been able to do waht I intend freely without breaking the rules."The Master said, 'At fifteen, I had my mind bent on learning. At thirty, I stood firm. At forty, I had no doubts. &At fifty, I knew the decrees of Heaven. At sixty, my ear was an obedient organ for the reception of truth. &At seventy, I could follow what my heart desired, without transgressing what was right.当然,还有其他博友的抛砖引玉的译法,尤其是刘立的,我就不好意思提了。
转载本文请联系原作者获取授权,同时请注明本文来自刘钢科学网博客。链接地址:
上一篇:下一篇:
当前推荐数:8
评论 ( 个评论)
扫一扫,分享此博文
作者的精选博文
作者的其他最新博文
热门博文导读