She__(leave) homezoo dog sex at home7:45.

 上传我的文档
 下载
 收藏
该文档贡献者很忙,什么也没留下。
 下载此文档
最新人教版七年级英语下册第三单元测试题及答案3套
下载积分:300
内容提示:最新人教版七年级英语下册第三单元测试题及答案3套
文档格式:DOCX|
浏览次数:121|
上传日期: 11:52:50|
文档星级:
全文阅读已结束,如果下载本文需要使用
 300 积分
下载此文档
该用户还上传了这些文档
最新人教版七年级英语下册第三单元测试题及答案3套
官方公共微信频道本月排行
随机推荐文章
Copyright (C) 2006 - 2016 www.
All Rights Reserved& Module知识点 & “首字母填空Only Mother’s L...”习题详情
222位同学学习过此题,做题成功率65.7%
首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all hher&【小题1】possible& life. When you are still a baby, mother takes good care of you as much as pwaking&【小题2】and&. In your wby&【小题3】waiting& hours, she always holds you in her arms. When you are ill, she stops her work right now to look after you day and night aworried&【小题4】has& forgets about herself. When you are growing up day bnot&【小题5】world& day, she feels very happy. When you are old enough to go to school, mother still looks after you all the time. On cold winter days, she always tells you to put on more clothes. She always stands in the wind, w &【小题6】 & for you back from school. When you hurry to leave home for school with little breakfast, she always feels w &【小题7】 & about you at home. She usually knows about your study and spends much money on your school things. When you do well at school, you will see the brightest smile on her face.Mother is always ready to give everything she h &【小题8】 & to her children, n &【小题9】 & to receive. What true love that is in the w &【小题10】 &! We will remember Mother’s Love forever!
本题难度:较难
题型:填空题&|&来源:2012-外研版初中英语九年级下册Module 7练习题
分析与解答
习题“首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all h____【小题1】____ life. When you are...”的分析与解答如下所示:
【小题1】考查代词,只有妈妈的爱才是真正的爱,把她的全部生命给了儿女【小题2】as much as possible尽可能多的【小题3】考查动名词,当你醒着的时候,waking动名词修饰名词【小题4】考查连词,和前面动作并列,用and【小题5】考查短语,day by day一天天的【小题6】wait for等候某人 ,在此用分词表伴随&【小题7】考查系表结构,feel worried 感到着急 【小题8】妈妈总是准备把她所有的东西奉献给她的孩子【小题9】考查否定词,而不是索取&【小题10】考查介词短语in the world世界上
找到答案了,赞一个
如发现试题中存在任何错误,请及时纠错告诉我们,谢谢你的支持!
首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all h____【小题1】____ life. When yo...
错误类型:
习题内容残缺不全
习题有文字标点错误
习题内容结构混乱
习题对应知识点不正确
分析解答残缺不全
分析解答有文字标点错误
分析解答结构混乱
习题类型错误
错误详情:
我的名号(最多30个字):
看完解答,记得给个难度评级哦!
经过分析,习题“首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all h____【小题1】____ life. When you are...”主要考察你对“Module 7 Eating together”
等考点的理解。
因为篇幅有限,只列出部分考点,详细请访问。
Module 7 Eating together
与“首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all h____【小题1】____ life. When you are...”相似的题目:
阅读理解NEW YORK PLUMBING(管道)& HEATINGSince 1968Plumbing and Heating FixingLARGE OR SMALL24 Hours 7 Days ServiceTel: 268 Pine Street 5th Avenue【小题1】Which shows New York P & H (Plumber & Heating) has been in business for a long time?A.“Since 1968”B.“24 Hours 7 Days ServiceC.“” D.268 Pine Street 5th Avenue【小题2】 For which of the following problems would one call New York P & H?A.Rainwater drops from the roofB.A refrigerator stops workingC.The floor of the bathroom is covered with water.D.There’s something wrong with the furniture【小题3】 What will the person who needs help probably discuss with New York P & H? A.DutiesB.ToolsC.MealsD.Costs【小题4】 If something is wrong with your heating, &&&&.A.you can ask them for help at once.B.New York P & H has known it clearlyC.P & H will just help you by telephoneD.you can ask for free fixing in 24 hours.【小题5】 Which of the following is NOT clear in the reading?&&A.Where P & H isB.How big P & H isC.What P & H doesD.When P & H was set up&&&&
By the first day of August, 2007, the PLA has its &&&& birthday.eightythe eightietheightietheighties
Remember to e-mail me. All of us hope to hear from you &&&&.quicklysoonfastquick
“首字母填空Only Mother’s L...”的最新评论
该知识点好题
该知识点易错题
欢迎来到乐乐题库,查看习题“首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all h____【小题1】____ life. When you are still a baby, mother takes good care of you as much as p____【小题2】____. In your w____【小题3】____ hours, she always holds you in her arms. When you are ill, she stops her work right now to look after you day and night a____【小题4】____ forgets about herself. When you are growing up day b____【小题5】____ day, she feels very happy. When you are old enough to go to school, mother still looks after you all the time. On cold winter days, she always tells you to put on more clothes. She always stands in the wind, w____【小题6】____ for you back from school. When you hurry to leave home for school with little breakfast, she always feels w____【小题7】____ about you at home. She usually knows about your study and spends much money on your school things. When you do well at school, you will see the brightest smile on her face.Mother is always ready to give everything she h____【小题8】____ to her children, n____【小题9】____ to receive. What true love that is in the w____【小题10】____! We will remember Mother’s Love forever! ”的答案、考点梳理,并查找与习题“首字母填空Only Mother’s Love is true love. It gives everybody everything all h____【小题1】____ life. When you are still a baby, mother takes good care of you as much as p____【小题2】____. In your w____【小题3】____ hours, she always holds you in her arms. When you are ill, she stops her work right now to look after you day and night a____【小题4】____ forgets about herself. When you are growing up day b____【小题5】____ day, she feels very happy. When you are old enough to go to school, mother still looks after you all the time. On cold winter days, she always tells you to put on more clothes. She always stands in the wind, w____【小题6】____ for you back from school. When you hurry to leave home for school with little breakfast, she always feels w____【小题7】____ about you at home. She usually knows about your study and spends much money on your school things. When you do well at school, you will see the brightest smile on her face.Mother is always ready to give everything she h____【小题8】____ to her children, n____【小题9】____ to receive. What true love that is in the w____【小题10】____! We will remember Mother’s Love forever! ”相似的习题。step_伤城文章网
Unit 1 Part I - A 87, 80, 53, 48, 24, 17 Script: The Porter Family Mr William Porter is very old. He is 87. And Mrs Catherine Porter is 80. Mr Porter is from Wales. John Porter and Mary are brother and sister. John Porter is 53 and he is a lawyer. His wife Susan is 48, and she is an architect. James Porter and Joan Lee are cousins. James Porter is 24 and Joan Lee is 17. Part I - B 1. spending special time together. 2. specific, complain, request, praise. 3. fatigue, insecurities, foxhole, striking out , protect. 4. distant 5. all marriages, Work together o understand 6. Respect, danger, professional, physical, verbal 7. Understand, win Part I - C 40, excel, domestic argument, losing win-win, lose-lose, win, a gift, returns argue over, aren't, who, in control, fear, didn't need, ought not to , couldn't, tried to, destroy, marriage love, loved, secure, discover, garden, cultivate, the most precious, own self, bloom. obtain, our partner, loved and respected, control. Part II- A A2 1. similar social backgrounds. 2. the same race or same ethnic background. 3. the same religion. A3 Japan / 9.2% / arranged marriages 3% / between blacks and whites Many people in Western cultures choose their own wives and husbands. In many other countries, spouse are often chosen by the parents. In China and Japan before this century (20th century), upper-class marriages were arranged by the older males. In many cultures in the Middle East, Asia, and pre-industrial Europe, the man's family negotiated a &bride price& with the woman' the man's family was expected to pay it. In Hindu India, the bride's family paid a &groom's price& to the family of the man. These cfor intance, only 9.2 percent of Japanese1 marriages are now arranged. What are the criteria for choosing mates? Most marriages-whether arranged by families or occurring from personal attraction or love--are based on similar social backgrounds. In other words, the man and the woman come from the same social class (or else a class that is only slightly higher or slight lower). Among many people in Egypt, key members of the man's family must go to the family of the woman and propose marriage. These family members must be able to show that the man's family is at least of the same social class as the woman and that a certain amount of money exists to allow the marriage to go forward. Having the same race or the same ethnic background is the second main criterion for marriage throughout the world. In the U.S,. Where there are many different races, only 3 percent of all marriages are between blacks and whites, meaning that the races are still largely separate in marriage. In many countries, marriage is also based on the woman and man havi this is a third common criterion for choosing a mate. In culture in which religion is very strong value, marriages would often not take place if there were religious differences. Part II - B 1. 2. what somebody looks like, ....., look beyond the physical appearance 3. the high percentage of divorces. 4. falling love with somebody,..... ,loving somebody Script: What do you think it is that attracts people to each other, that makes people want to be together? I think that perhaps unfortunately in the initial stages it's the physical appearance that attracts. I think unless you find somebody attractive, unless there's something about them-it could only perhaps be the way they smile or they laugh, or a twinkle in their eye, or the way of a curl falls over their forehead. But something like that has to make you interested enough to find out more about that person, unless that's there I think you just don't bother. So initially physical attraction I think is all important. Why do you say &unfortunately&? Because in fact it shouldn't be what somebody looks like that is important. You should be able to look beyond he physical appearance and see what sort of a person he or she is, whether they are selfish or selfless, whether they are kind, caring. But I think initially you are not bothered with that. That come perhaps later. In pop songs and magazines and newspapers and son on, the idea of falling love in s always emphasized, so people have this idea that you have to fall in love. Do you2 think this is misleading for people? Do you think people expect something that in fact doesn't exist? Yes, I do. In fact I think we can probably lay the blame for the high percentage of divorce--it's a third I think now, isn't it? I think one in three people get divorced. Probably as far as I can see it, the reason is that they go into marriage or into a relationship with a very romantic view of love which I think has been created by the pop songs, by all the love stores, by the Barbara Cartland novels, etc. , that young people read. Really, you meet someone, you fall in love, and that's it., it's the beginning, they live happily even after. And I think that's the problem, because people just expect that, and it's not like that. So what is it, do you think, that really sustains a relationship, that keeps a relationship going? Well, I think you have to differentiate between falling in love with somebody, which I see as more superficial, and loving somebody, which I see as a deeper emotion and one that perhaps lasts. Falling in love is superficial attraction, being attracted to somebody physically, having fun together, whereas loving somebody I think is an emotion that grows, it comes with shared experiences, perhaps enjoying doing the same things together, shared hobbies, shared interests, suffering together as well, going through the bad times, helping each other, supporting each other. I think all that needs time to grow, and I'd call that love, and I think that's what makes a relationship last. Part II - C one of the biggest decisions they will make in life, as the &just-right& wife for him, definition of what the &just-right&wife is, the millionaire man and the poor man , her physical qualities, different words, by her physical qualities, in two different atmospheres, also have their definition of the &just-right& wife, the German man's definition is different from the Spanish man's. Script:Part III A baseball diamond A wine bar A fancy-dress party Outside a cinema A boat/ the river bankfrizzly hair / glasses/ funny/ monologue pizza the man dressed as Cheshire Cat coincidence/ he'd also missed the film fell in river/ he dived in and rescued her3 Script: Kate: I was on my way home from junior high and in order to get to my house you have to walk by this baseball diamond. And there was a game of baseball going on and it looked kind of interesting, so I stopped. There weren't very many people watching. And there was this guy and he wasn't really very good-looking, but he had frizzly hair and glasses and he was really funny. He did this kind of monologue thing, which war great. And I went home and I told my mother I was going to marry him after talking to him for half an hour. And when I got to high school, he was president of the student body and he asked me out and...we've got our picture in the yearbook together holding hands, and it's really nice. Ke: Well, I'd arranged to have a drink with a friend of mine, a woman friend of mine who's a platonic friend of mine. And she insisted on bringing this friend of hers who she said I'd like to meet and I thought she was trying to fix us up and I said, &Please don't!& But she did bring this friend and we hit it off. And after the wine bar we went to have a pizza and we all had a few more drinks and the other woman who ended up ordering a pizza that had a bunch of stuff on it that she really liked, so we picked at each other's pizzas all night and we realized that we were sort of had an ideal relationship, so that we could order really any pizza on the menu and we'd both be happy. And anyway we ended up living together and still are. Coralyn: We met at a party and it was fancy-dress party. A friend of mine's twenty-first and it was quite big and I went dressed as Alice in Wonderland and this person, this guy that I married was dressed as the Cheshire Cat. And it just seemed so amazing that, you know, we were both from the same thing and we started chatting and ended up being together. Jill: I'd arranged to go to the cinema with a group of friends and unfortunately I missed the train that would have got me to standing outside--the film had started. So I wasn't allowed in. And there was a chap outside, he'd also missed the film and we started to talk and we talked quite a bit and he said,&Let's go down the road and see that film, because that one hasn't started at the Odeon.& So we went down there and we've been going out ever since! Carole: I first met my partner when he was on a boat and I was on the river bank, standing and looking generally into the distance and he was coming in to land with his boat and he threw me a rope and said,&Would you mind catching this?& and I caught it and missed and tripped over it and fell in the river and he had to dive in and rescue me. And that was it! Part IV Book, choked, disappointment, take you to dinner, tolerant smile, went by, rose, big restaurant, test, understand and admire4 Script: John Blanchard stood up from the bench, straightened his army uniform, and studied the crowd of people making their way through Grand Central Station. He looked for the girl whose heart he knew, but whose face he didn't, the girl with the rose. His interest in her had begun thirteen months before in Florida library. Taking a book off the shelf he found himself intrigued, not with the words of the book, but with the notes penciled in the margin. The soft handwriting reflected a thoughtful soul and insightful mind. In the front of the book, he discovered the previous owner's name, Miss Hollis Maynell. With time and effort he located her address. She lived in New York City. He wrote her a letter introducing himself and inviting her to correspond. The next day he was shipped overseas for service in World War through the mail. Each letter was a seed falling on a fertile heart. A romance was budding. Blanchard requested a photograph, but she refused. She felt that if he really cared, it wouldn't matter what she looked like. When the day finally come for him to return from Europe, they scheduled their first meeting --7:00p.m. At the Grand Hotel Station in New York. &You will recognize me,&she wrote, &by the red rose I'll be wearing on my lapel.& So at 7:00 he was in the station looking for a girl whose heart he loved, but whose face he'd never seen. I'll let Mr Blanchard tell you what happened. A young woman was coming toward me, her figure long and slim. Her blonde hair lay back in curls from her delicate ears. Her eyes were as blue flowers. Her lips and chin had a gentle firmness, and in her pale green suit she was like spring time coming alive. I started toward her, entirely forgetting to notice that she was not wearing a rose. As I moved, a small, provocative smile curved her lips. & Going my way, sailor?& she murmured. Almost uncontrollably I made one step closer to her, and then I saw Holllis Maynell. She was standing almost directly behind the girl. A woman well past 40, she had graying hair tucked under a worn hat. She was more than plump, her thick-ankled feet thrust into low-heeled shoes. The girl in the green suit was waking quickly away. I felt as thought I was split into two, so keen was my desire to follow her, and yet so deep was my longing for the woman whose spirit had truly companioned me and upheld my own. And there she stood. Her pale plump face was gentle and sensible, her gray eyes had a warm and kindly twinkle. I did not hesitate. My fingers gripped the small worn blue leather copy of the book that was to identify me to her. This would not be love, but it would be something precious, something perhaps even better than love.5 Unit 3 Travelling from Place to Place Part one Warming up A:Here are some announcements broadcast at some airports. Listen carefully to each announcement and pay attention to flight numbers, departure time and aboarding gate numbers. Write them in the correct spaces. Tapescript: ◆ Last call for British Airways flight BAg12 for Tokyo. BA912 for Tokyo due to depart at 11:20 boarding at Gate 17. ◆ British Airways flight BA877 to Boston. British Airways flight BA877 to Boston due to depart at 11:20 boarding now at Gate 14. ◆ British Airways flight BA292 for Frankfurt, Athens and Karachi. Flight BA292 for Frankfurt, Athens and Karachi due to depart at 11:25 now board at Gate 19. ◆TWA flight, TW695 to New York. TWA flight TW695 to New York departing 11:30 boarding Gate 16. ◆British Airways passengers for the British Airways Super Shuttle flight to Edfnburgh. this flight is now boarding at gate No. 4. British Airways Super Shuttle flight to Edinburgh: this flight is now boarding at gate No. 4. ◆East African Airlines flight EA831 to Nairobi, EA831 to Nairobi due to depart at 11:35 boarding Gate 24. ◆ British Airways passengers wishing to travel to Cork C flight No. BA838 -- this flight is now checking in at gate No. 9. British Airways passengers to Cork on flight No. BA838: this flight is now checking in at gate No. 9. ◆ Iberia flight IB290 to Madrid, Iberia flight 113290 to Madrid due to depart at 11.35 boarding Gate 15. ◆ Lufthansa flight LH039 to Hamburg, Lufthansa flight LH039 for Hamburg departing at 11.40 boarding at Gate 9. ◆Passengers for British Airways flight BA666 to Muscat, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, BA666 for Muscat, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore due to depart at 11.40 boarding Gate 18. ◆Aer Lingus passengers to Dublin -- flight number AI141: this flight is now closing at gate No. 6. Aer Lingus to Dublin -- flight number AI141; this flight is now closing at gate No. 6.6 ◆British Airways passengers for flight number BA560 to Athens i this flight is now closing at gate No. 22. B: here is an anouncement made by the Chief steward about the buffet car on a train. Listen carefully and write a check(√) next to the things you can buy in the buffet car. Tapescript: Chief Steward: May I have your attention please, ladies and gentlemen? This is the Chief Steward speaking. We would like to inform all passengers that the buffet car is now open. The buffet car is situated towards the middle of the train. On sale are tea, coffee and soft drinks, a selection of fresh and toasted sandwiches including egg and tomato, ham and tomato, egg and cress, roast chicke cheeseburgers, beef burgers and sausages and a licensed bar. The buffet car is situated towards the middle of the train. Thank you. Part two It’s the only way to travel Key words: journey plane jet travel train Douglas and annabel have arrived at their friend Charles’s house by plane and by train respectively. Which means of transportation is better? Listen to their conversation and complete the following chart with key words. By Plane By Train Departure 9:15 10:30 time Arrival time 10:30 13:30 Advantages quick/ beautiful/ view Frequent service(hourly)/modern/ comfortable/ lovely view from dining car Disadvantages Have to get Gatwick quite crowed / quite expensive Airport/ expensive Tapescript: A -- Annabel C -- Charles D -- Douglas D: Ah! That's much better! C. Ah ! That's yours, I think... er ... Doug. D: Thank you very much, Charles. C: Right. You have a good journey then, Douglas? D: Yes I did, I did. I must say the plane was marvellous, marvellous. C: Very quick, then?7 D: Er ... the plane journey was terrifically quick ... er ... I mean, you ... er ... what ... you met me about 9 ... er ... what.., er... 10... 10:45. C: About 10:30. D: Yes, the plane got in at... er... 10:30 and we left Gatwick at 9:15. C: What time did you have to start though in the morning? D: Well, that was.., er... that was a different story, because I had to get to Victoria ... um ... at ... you know, to get toGatwick and it's.., er... from.., er... Victoria to Gatwick's three quarters of an hour. Then I had to leave home at 7:30 and get up at 6:30. C: Oh, gracious me ! D: So I'm not sure if you save much really. C: Jet travel, my goodness me! It was worth the experience, though? D: Oh, I mean, you know, I've never flown across the South of England and it really looked absolutely fantastic, especially as we proach ... approached P|ymgot. h, you know, with this sunshine and it looked really marvellous ... marvellous: C: Well, when you come up next time, would you be coming the same way? D: Oh, I don't think so. I don't. ~ ~ to be honest... Hallo, isn't that... Annabel! C: Oh it is, it's Annabel. D: Over here, over here! A: Hallo! C: Nice to see you, my dear. A: Hallo there, how are you? C: Want a drink, my dear? A: Yes, please. C: Right, I'll ... er ... fix them. You had a good journey? A: Yes, I had a lovely time, I came by train ... er ... it was ... er... C: What time did you start then? A: Oh, about 10.30 I think. Got here about 1:30. So it's only ... what.., three hours. Very quick. C: Very good. Douglas came up by plane! A: Oh, how fancy! Well, this was ... er ... this was a nice train, you know, very modern and comfortable. And of course loads of trains -- about every hour I think. C: Oh, great. Did you get something to eat on the train? A: Yes thanks, yes. Had a nice lunch. Oh, it's wonderful, you can sit there drinking your soup and watching the view go by. I like it ...8 D: I bet it's a... it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the plane. A: Well, actually, I thought it was quite expensive ... um ... unless you've got, you know, a student card or something. D: Oh, those days are long gone! A: But it was quite ... quite crowded. I was ... I was glad I'd booked a seat, you know. D: Yes, yes. Part III Villa Rentals Key words: Villa Rentals sitting-room holiday villa terrace car video bedroom rent bathroom kitchen fishing villageA: In this part you are going to hear two telephone conversations between a travel agent and two different customers who want to rent holiday homes. Listen carefully and complete the following chart with key words according to the information you hear on the tape. Customer1 required Sep.4---Sep.17 No. of 2 double and 1 single bedrooms No. of 3 bathrooms No. of 3(kitchen, dining other sitting-room) bedrooms Swimming √ pool? Maid √(six days a week) service? Car rental £80 for a Fiesta weekly Air fare √ included? Cost per £570 person Customer2 Aug.5---Aug. 18 1 double and 1 big bedroom with 2 single beds and a sofa 1 full bathroom room, 2 (kitchen, living-sitting room× × £98 for a Fiesta √ £270B: Now listen again. Decide which two of the pictures of holiday homes the travel agent is talking about. Give reasons for your choice. Tapescrip:9 Conversation I T -- Travel agent T: Cl: T: C 1 -- Customer 1 ( Telephone ringing) Hello, Villa Rentals, can I help you? Oh, hello. I do hope so. You see my husband and I are looking for a holiday villa Oh yes, madam. We've got several villas on offer in Iniscia. How many peopleand we've heard that you have some nice places in Italy, Iniscia. would there be in your party? CI: Well, it's just the family, you know, my 'husband and ...the three children. T: T: T: A party of five then, yes. And er... when would you want to be there? In September. Uh-huh. And for how many weeks? The first two in September. Oh, well, we've only got one place free then, madam. C1: When? Erm... Oh well, it would have to be in September. C1: For two actually, the first two in September. Oh, but it's a very beautiful one, the Villa Delmonti. C1: And it's nice, is it? T: Oh, it's an absolute dream, madam. It's set on a hilltop with a big garden and a beautiful view out over the sea towards Naples. CI: It sounds as if you've been there. T: CI: T: Yes, for a couple of days last October on an inspection tour. And I fell in love Er, how many rooms has it got? Well, on the ground floor there are two double bedrooms, both of them with it at first sight.beautifully decorated, a single bedroom and all three have their own bathroom and toilet facilities. Then still on the ground floor there's a large kitchen, a large dining room and a very big outside terrace. And then upstairs it's got a very large sitting-room with windows all around and a back garden with a big swimming pool. C1: T: CI: T: CI: T: C1: T: Mm, it does sound nice, yes. There is a maid or cleaner or something, is there? Oh, yes, madam, six days a week. Oh, well, I dare say we can manage for the seventh. Em... what about distances? Actually we do normally advise people to hire a car. And how much would a smallish car cost? On well for a ... You know, for a Metro or a Renault five or a Ford Fiesta, nothing grand. Ah, for a Fiesta, it would be about ? a week. 8010Is it far from the town and all that? Do you think we'd need a car? C1: T:And for the house for those two weeks? For the period of September 4th till the 17th inclusive, it would cost, mm, you'refive people, let me see, um, ? 570 per person for the two weeks, including the return airfare. CI: T: Cl: C: T: Mm, well, it could be worse. Yes well, I'd really like to see some photographs of Oh, of course, madam. We've got a video of it, so any time you care to come in, Oh, right. I'll be ... I'll be in this afternoon. Thank you for your help. Good-bye. Bye. Conversation 2 T -- Travel agent ( Telephone ringing) T: C2: Hello, Villa Rentals. Can I help you? Oh, hello. Em... I... I ... I'm just calling because I've, er... I've just seen your C2 -- Customer 2 this place or something. Can you arrange that? you could see it. T. Don't mention it, madam. I'll look forward to seeing you.advert about apartments and villas for rent. And erm ... what ... could you tell me more about them please? T: C2: Of course, madam. But could you tell me something about what you're looking Ah, yes, well, erm, there'll be the five of us. I mean, er, my husband and I and for? And ... where'd you like to go? How many bedrooms you would need and so on? the two kids and my mother because she lost dad last year and it's her first year without. T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: Fine, I see. And would you want a house or an apartment? Well, we'd like a house of course, if we can afford one, but I... And whereabouts? Did you have any particular place in mind? Well, we wanted the Mediterranean, like Spain. Actually we thought of Well, we've got some lovely places in Minorca, madam. Oh! For five you said? Uh-huh. And when would you want to be there?11Minorca. C2: T: C2: T: C2: T:Well, it would have to be in August because we are both off work then and it's Well, how about thisg Uh-huh? Minorca, Adia. Oh, that's a beautiful place. Oh. A little fishing village. A house for five for two weeks in August from Augustthe school holidays, too.5th to August 18th inclusive (Uh-huh) per person, ~270 including return flight from Gatwick. C2: T: Oh! Well, that's not bad. Ho ... how many rooms has it got? One double bedroom, then a big bedroom with two single beds and a sofa, youknow, a convertible divan downstairs, full bathroom, kitchen and a large living sitting room, and a beautiful terrace with a sea view. C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: Oh! Have you got any photographs of it? Yes! Actually we've got a video of it. So if you'd like to come into the agency ... Yes, I would. In fact I'll drop in this afternoon. Mm, when are you open until? We close at eight tonight, madam. Right. I'll be in about six, I expect. Oh, urn, just one more thing. To hire a car on Well, for a Fiesta, it would cost you ~98 a week. Phew! Well, it's probably worth it if you're five. Well, I'll... I'll be in this Not at all, madam. Bye. Language study and language appreciation Listen to the following statements. Pay special attention to the parts in bold type. Learn to appreciate and use the language. 1. to excel in… The University excels in sport and social activities, debating, drama, music and much more. 2. off one’s own bat The good learner will do more off his own bat. He won’t rely entirely on the teacher. 3. to have a knack forthe island, how much would it cost, you know, for ... for a smallish one?afternoon then. Er, see you then. Er, bye-bye. Oh, and er, thanks. Part IV12 he told me I had a real knack for scientific things. 4. the 2nd( 3rd, 4th…) largest in population The second largest in population is India. Which country is the fourth largest in population? 5. …ranks 1st( 2nd, 3rd…) in its population Brazil ranks the fifth in its population. Nigeria in Africa ranks the tenth in its population. 6. The population is /was… According to the 1997 census, the total population was 1,243,738,000. 7. with a population of… Next comes the Russian Federation, wit a population of 147,105,000. 8. The population reached… Its population estimated in 1997 reached 125,638,000. 9. ( A language) has… speakers. Chinese has the largest number of speakers, more than 1,300 million. 10. ( A language) is spoken by…people. Bengali is spoken by 189 million people. 11. …symbolize the passing of the mark The United Nations had declared that the first child to be delivered at the Kosovo Hospital in Sarajevo today would symbolize the passing of the mark. 12. passengers for/ on …flight… to… British Airways passengers for the British Aairways Super Shuttle flight to Edinburgh: this flight is now boarding at gate No. 4. 13. due to depart British Airways flight BA877 to Boston due to depart at 11:20 boarding now at Gate 14. 14. check in brithish Airways passengers to Cork on flight No. BA838, this flight is now checking in at gate No. 9. 15. be situated The buffet car is situated towards the middle of the train.13 Unit 3 Travelling from Place to Place Part one Warming up A:Here are some announcements broadcast at some airports. Listen carefully to each announcement and pay attention to flight numbers, departure time and aboarding gate numbers. Write them in the correct spaces. Tapescript: ◆ Last call for British Airways flight BAg12 for Tokyo. BA912 for Tokyo due to depart at 11:20 boarding at Gate 17. ◆ British Airways flight BA877 to Boston. British Airways flight BA877 to Boston due to depart at 11:20 boarding now at Gate 14. ◆ British Airways flight BA292 for Frankfurt, Athens and Karachi. Flight BA292 for Frankfurt, Athens and Karachi due to depart at 11:25 now board at Gate 19. ◆TWA flight, TW695 to New York. TWA flight TW695 to New York departing 11:30 boarding Gate 16. ◆British Airways passengers for the British Airways Super Shuttle flight to Edfnburgh. this flight is now boarding at gate No. 4. British Airways Super Shuttle flight to Edinburgh: this flight is now boarding at gate No. 4. ◆East African Airlines flight EA831 to Nairobi, EA831 to Nairobi due to depart at 11:35 boarding Gate 24. ◆ British Airways passengers wishing to travel to Cork C flight No. BA838 -- this flight is now checking in at gate No. 9. British Airways passengers to Cork on flight No. BA838: this flight is now checking in at gate No. 9. ◆ Iberia flight IB290 to Madrid, Iberia flight 113290 to Madrid due to depart at 11.35 boarding Gate 15. ◆ Lufthansa flight LH039 to Hamburg, Lufthansa flight LH039 for Hamburg departing at 11.40 boarding at Gate 9. ◆Passengers for British Airways flight BA666 to Muscat, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, BA666 for Muscat, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore due to depart at 11.40 boarding Gate 18. ◆Aer Lingus passengers to Dublin -- flight number AI141: this flight is now closing at gate No. 6. Aer Lingus to Dublin -- flight number AI141; this flight is now closing at gate No. 6. ◆British Airways passengers for flight number BA560 to Athens i this flight is now14 closing at gate No. 22. B: here is an anouncement made by the Chief steward about the buffet car on a train. Listen carefully and write a check(√) next to the things you can buy in the buffet car. Tapescript: Chief Steward: May I have your attention please, ladies and gentlemen? This is the Chief Steward speaking. We would like to inform all passengers that the buffet car is now open. The buffet car is situated towards the middle of the train. On sale are tea, coffee and soft drinks, a selection of fresh and toasted sandwiches including egg and tomato, ham and tomato, egg and cress, roast chicke cheeseburgers, beef burgers and sausages and a licensed bar. The buffet car is situated towards the middle of the train. Thank you. Part two It’s the only way to travel Key words: journey plane jet travel train Douglas and annabel have arrived at their friend Charles’s house by plane and by train respectively. Which means of transportation is better? Listen to their conversation and complete the following chart with key words. By Plane By Train Departure 9:15 10:30 time Arrival time 10:30 13:30 Advantages quick/ beautiful/ view Frequent service(hourly)/modern/ comfortable/ lovely view from dining car Disadvantages Have to get Gatwick quite crowed / quite expensive Airport/ expensive Tapescript: A -- Annabel C -- Charles D -- Douglas D: Ah! That's much better! C. Ah ! That's yours, I think... er ... Doug. D: Thank you very much, Charles. C: Right. You have a good journey then, Douglas? D: Yes I did, I did. I must say the plane was marvellous, marvellous. C: Very quick, then? D: Er ... the plane journey was terrifically quick ... er ... I mean, you ... er ... what ...15 you met me about 9 ... er ... what.., er... 10... 10:45. C: About 10:30. D: Yes, the plane got in at... er... 10:30 and we left Gatwick at 9:15. C: What time did you have to start though in the morning? D: Well, that was.., er... that was a different story, because I had to get to Victoria ... um ... at ... you know, to get toGatwick and it's.., er... from.., er... Victoria to Gatwick's three quarters of an hour. Then I had to leave home at 7:30 and get up at 6:30. C: Oh, gracious me ! D: So I'm not sure if you save much really. C: Jet travel, my goodness me! It was worth the experience, though? D: Oh, I mean, you know, I've never flown across the South of England and it really looked absolutely fantastic, especially as we proach ... approached P|ymgot. h, you know, with this sunshine and it looked really marvellous ... marvellous: C: Well, when you come up next time, would you be coming the same way? D: Oh, I don't think so. I don't. ~ ~ to be honest... Hallo, isn't that... Annabel! C: Oh it is, it's Annabel. D: Over here, over here! A: Hallo! C: Nice to see you, my dear. A: Hallo there, how are you? C: Want a drink, my dear? A: Yes, please. C: Right, I'll ... er ... fix them. You had a good journey? A: Yes, I had a lovely time, I came by train ... er ... it was ... er... C: What time did you start then? A: Oh, about 10.30 I think. Got here about 1:30. So it's only ... what.., three hours. Very quick. C: Very good. Douglas came up by plane! A: Oh, how fancy! Well, this was ... er ... this was a nice train, you know, very modern and comfortable. And of course loads of trains -- about every hour I think. C: Oh, great. Did you get something to eat on the train? A: Yes thanks, yes. Had a nice lunch. Oh, it's wonderful, you can sit there drinking your soup and watching the view go by. I like it ... D: I bet it's a... it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the plane.16 A: Well, actually, I thought it was quite expensive ... um ... unless you've got, you know, a student card or something. D: Oh, those days are long gone! A: But it was quite ... quite crowded. I was ... I was glad I'd booked a seat, you know. D: Yes, yes. Part III Villa Rentals Key words: Villa Rentals sitting-room holiday villa terrace car video bedroom rent bathroom kitchen fishing villageA: In this part you are going to hear two telephone conversations between a travel agent and two different customers who want to rent holiday homes. Listen carefully and complete the following chart with key words according to the information you hear on the tape. Customer1 required Sep.4---Sep.17 No. of 2 double and 1 single bedrooms No. of 3 bathrooms No. of 3(kitchen, dining other sitting-room) bedrooms Swimming √ pool? Maid √(six days a week) service? Car rental £80 for a Fiesta weekly Air fare √ included? Cost per £570 person Customer2 Aug.5---Aug. 18 1 double and 1 big bedroom with 2 single beds and a sofa 1 full bathroom room, 2 (kitchen, living-sitting room× × £98 for a Fiesta √ £270B: Now listen again. Decide which two of the pictures of holiday homes the travel agent is talking about. Give reasons for your choice. Tapescrip: Conversation I T -- Travel agent C 1 -- Customer 117( Telephone ringing) T: Cl: T:Hello, Villa Rentals, can I help you? Oh, hello. I do hope so. You see my husband and I are looking for a holiday villa Oh yes, madam. We've got several villas on offer in Iniscia. How many peopleand we've heard that you have some nice places in Italy, Iniscia. would there be in your party? CI: Well, it's just the family, you know, my 'husband and ...the three children. T: T: T: A party of five then, yes. And er... when would you want to be there? In September. Uh-huh. And for how many weeks? The first two in September. Oh, well, we've only got one place free then, madam. C1: When? Erm... Oh well, it would have to be in September. C1: For two actually, the first two in September. Oh, but it's a very beautiful one, the Villa Delmonti. C1: And it's nice, is it? T: Oh, it's an absolute dream, madam. It's set on a hilltop with a big garden and a beautiful view out over the sea towards Naples. CI: It sounds as if you've been there. T: CI: T: Yes, for a couple of days last October on an inspection tour. And I fell in love Er, how many rooms has it got? Well, on the ground floor there are two double bedrooms, both of them with it at first sight.beautifully decorated, a single bedroom and all three have their own bathroom and toilet facilities. Then still on the ground floor there's a large kitchen, a large dining room and a very big outside terrace. And then upstairs it's got a very large sitting-room with windows all around and a back garden with a big swimming pool. C1: T: CI: T: CI: T: C1: T: C1: Mm, it does sound nice, yes. There is a maid or cleaner or something, is there? Oh, yes, madam, six days a week. Oh, well, I dare say we can manage for the seventh. Em... what about distances? Actually we do normally advise people to hire a car. And how much would a smallish car cost? On well for a ... You know, for a Metro or a Renault five or a Ford Fiesta, nothing grand. Ah, for a Fiesta, it would be about ? a week. 80 And for the house for those two weeks?Is it far from the town and all that? Do you think we'd need a car?18 T:For the period of September 4th till the 17th inclusive, it would cost, mm, you'refive people, let me see, um, ? 570 per person for the two weeks, including the return airfare. CI: T: Cl: C: T: Mm, well, it could be worse. Yes well, I'd really like to see some photographs of Oh, of course, madam. We've got a video of it, so any time you care to come in, Oh, right. I'll be ... I'll be in this afternoon. Thank you for your help. Good-bye. Bye. Conversation 2 T -- Travel agent ( Telephone ringing) T: C2: Hello, Villa Rentals. Can I help you? Oh, hello. Em... I... I ... I'm just calling because I've, er... I've just seen your C2 -- Customer 2 this place or something. Can you arrange that? you could see it. T. Don't mention it, madam. I'll look forward to seeing you.advert about apartments and villas for rent. And erm ... what ... could you tell me more about them please? T: C2: Of course, madam. But could you tell me something about what you're looking Ah, yes, well, erm, there'll be the five of us. I mean, er, my husband and I and for? And ... where'd you like to go? How many bedrooms you would need and so on? the two kids and my mother because she lost dad last year and it's her first year without. T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: Fine, I see. And would you want a house or an apartment? Well, we'd like a house of course, if we can afford one, but I... And whereabouts? Did you have any particular place in mind? Well, we wanted the Mediterranean, like Spain. Actually we thought of Well, we've got some lovely places in Minorca, madam. Oh! For five you said? Uh-huh. And when would you want to be there? Well, it would have to be in August because we are both off work then and it's19Minorca. the school holidays, too. T: C2: T: C2: T: Well, how about thisg Uh-huh? Minorca, Adia. Oh, that's a beautiful place. Oh. A little fishing village. A house for five for two weeks in August from August5th to August 18th inclusive (Uh-huh) per person, ~270 including return flight from Gatwick. C2: T: Oh! Well, that's not bad. Ho ... how many rooms has it got? One double bedroom, then a big bedroom with two single beds and a sofa, youknow, a convertible divan downstairs, full bathroom, kitchen and a large living sitting room, and a beautiful terrace with a sea view. C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: C2: T: Oh! Have you got any photographs of it? Yes! Actually we've got a video of it. So if you'd like to come into the agency ... Yes, I would. In fact I'll drop in this afternoon. Mm, when are you open until? We close at eight tonight, madam. Right. I'll be in about six, I expect. Oh, urn, just one more thing. To hire a car on Well, for a Fiesta, it would cost you ~98 a week. Phew! Well, it's probably worth it if you're five. Well, I'll... I'll be in this Not at all, madam. Bye. Language study and language appreciation Listen to the following statements. Pay special attention to the parts in bold type. Learn to appreciate and use the language. 16. to excel in… The University excels in sport and social activities, debating, drama, music and much more. 17. off one’s own bat The good learner will do more off his own bat. He won’t rely entirely on the teacher. 18. to have a knack for he told me I had a real knack for scientific things.the island, how much would it cost, you know, for ... for a smallish one?afternoon then. Er, see you then. Er, bye-bye. Oh, and er, thanks. Part IV20 19. the 2nd( 3rd, 4th…) largest in population The second largest in population is India. Which country is the fourth largest in population? 20. …ranks 1st( 2nd, 3rd…) in its population Brazil ranks the fifth in its population. Nigeria in Africa ranks the tenth in its population. 21. The population is /was… According to the 1997 census, the total population was 1,243,738,000. 22. with a population of… Next comes the Russian Federation, wit a population of 147,105,000. 23. The population reached… Its population estimated in 1997 reached 125,638,000. 24. ( A language) has… speakers. Chinese has the largest number of speakers, more than 1,300 million. 25. ( A language) is spoken by…people. Bengali is spoken by 189 million people. 26. …symbolize the passing of the mark The United Nations had declared that the first child to be delivered at the Kosovo Hospital in Sarajevo today would symbolize the passing of the mark. 27. passengers for/ on …flight… to… British Airways passengers for the British Aairways Super Shuttle flight to Edinburgh: this flight is now boarding at gate No. 4. 28. due to depart British Airways flight BA877 to Boston due to depart at 11:20 boarding now at Gate 14. 29. check in brithish Airways passengers to Cork on flight No. BA838, this flight is now checking in at gate No. 9. 30. be situated The buffet car is situated towards the middle of the train.21 Unit 4Approaching CulturePart One Warming up Key words: gift luck People in all countries enjoy gifts. Sometimes the meanings are different in different cultures. Listen to the following dialogues and look at the pictures below. If it is not a proper gift in a certain country for an ordinary friend, cross out(×) the picture and check(√) the correct reason why it is not a proper gift. Tapescript: 1. Argentina Woman: This is interesting. Did you know that in Argentina you should never give clothing unless you know the person really well? Man: Don't give clothing? Why not? them. Man: Huh? I never thought of a tie as being personal.., just uncomfortable. What should you bring? Woman: I don't know. Maybe something for thc house. 2. Switzerland Man: We're meeting Mr Mertz and his wife for dinner. Maybe I should bring flowers or something ... Yeah, I'll pick up some red roses. Woman: You don't want to bring roses. In Switzerland, they could be a symbol of love and romance. Man: Oh, I didn't know that. Woman: I think candy or chocolate might be better. 3. Italy Woman: I'd like some flowers. Uh ... those. About ten, I guess. Man: Ma'am, I don't think you should give ten flowers. In Italy, even numbers -- 2, 4, 6, and so on -- are bad luck. Woman: Even numbers are bad luck? OK, I'll take nine flowers then. 4. Japan Woman: May I help you? Man: I'm going to stay with a family in Japan. I need to get something for them. Woman: Pen sets are always a good gift. Woman: Clothing- even things like ties -- are too personal. Only good friends give22 Man:Oh,that's a good idea. Let's see ... There are sets with a pen and pencil ... andbigger sets with four pens. Woman: Don't give a set of four pens -- in fact, don't give four of anything. It's bad luck: The Japanese word for &four& sounds like the word for &death.& Man: Thanks for telling me. I'll take the pen andpencil set. language! Man: Greet Uh... yeah. Right. traditional friends B: Key words: There are many ways in the world to greet people. Listen to a few examples of greetings from some countries. Choose correct answers for each greeting. Tapescript: 1. A bow Around the world, there are many different ways to greet people. Bowing is the traditional way of greeting in Northeast Asian countries like Korea and Japan. This picture, for example, shows how Japanese women bow. In Japan, when you bow, you don't look directly at the other person's eyes. But in Korea it's important to see the other person's face when you bow. In both countries, people bow to show respect. 2. A hag When good friends meet in Russia, they often hug each other. This is true for both women and men. Russia isn't the only place where friends hug. In Brazil, for example, friends also hug each other in greeting. In Brazil, the hug is called an abraco. 3. A strong, short handshake You know how to shake hands. This is common in many countries. But it isn't always done the same way. In the United States and Canada, for example, people usually give a strong, short handshake. It's short but rather firm. 4. A softer, longer handshake In many other countries, people also shake hands. But they do it differently from in the U.S. and Canada. In Mexico and in Egypt, for example, many people -especially men C shake hands. Mexican and Egyptian handshakes usually last a little longer. The handshake is softer -- not as strong. C: Key words: holiday celebration observe feast23Woman: Good choice. These sets make very good gifts. After all, pens write in anyin honor ofcommenmorate celebrate Listen to the following holidays which are observed in different areas around the world. Write the date and the area. Holiday Valentine’s Day Feast of Dolls Feast of Banners Dragon Boat Festival Date February 14 March 2 May 5 the Mid-Autumn festival Chinese Lunar Area European and North American countries Japan JapanMay 15 according to China Calendar August 15 according to China the Chinese Lunar European and North American countries France Britain, Canada, and the U.S European countries, the Canal Zone, Philippine Islands, and the Latin American countries CalendarApril Fools’ Da y Bastille Day Boxing Day May DayApril 1 July 14 December 26 May 1Saint catherine’s Day Saint Patrick’s Day Mother’s DayNovember 25 March 17 The 2nd Sunday in MayFrance Ireland England, Sweden, India, Mexico France, Denmark, China,andTapescript: The word Dholiday‖ comes from the words Dholy‖ and Dday‖. Originally holidays were holy or religious days. Nowadays holidays include national, seasonal and historical days of celebration. Here are some traditional holidays in some countries. ? February 14 is Valentine’s Day. It is observed in some European and North24 American countries. People send cards or gifts expressing love and affection sometimes anonymously to their sweethearts or friends. ? Feast of Dolls in Japan falls on March 2 . It is observed there in honor of girls. ? Feast of Banners in Japan is on May 5. It is observed in honor of boys. ? May 5 is Dragon Boat Festival in China and is held according to the Chinese Lunar Calendar. People eat rice cakes and hold dragon boat races to commenmorate the ancient acholar―statesman Qu Yuan. ? August 15 is Mid-Autumn Festival in China. It is held according to the Chinese Lunar Calendar. People eat moon cakes while looking at the bright full moon. ? April Fools’ Day is on April 1. In some European countries and in North America, people play practical jokes or tricks on each other and those unsuspecting victims are called April fools. ? July 14 is Bastille Day. It is an annual holiday in France to commemorate the fall of the Bastille. ? December 26 is Boxing Day in Britain, Canada, and the U.S. it is observed as a holiday from the custom of giving Christmas boxex to the tradesmen and staff on this day. ? May Day , known also as International Labor Day, is a public holiday in many European countries, the Canal Zone, Philippine Islands, and the Latin American countries. It falls on May 1, and is celebrated especially by the working people. ? November 25 is Saint Catherine’s Day. The French celebrate this playful holiday in honor of Saint Catherine, the patroness of spinsters, or unmarried women. The day is observed mainly by the Parisian sewing girls who are over 25 and unmarried. It is a day for fun, parades, dances, and receptions. ? March 17 is Saint Patrick’s Day. This is Ireland’s greatest national holiday. The date marks the anniversary of the death of the missionary who became the patron sait of Ireland. Green is the color of the day. ? Mother’s Day is a movable holiday. It falls on the 2nd Sunday in May . Mother’s day was founded by Miss Anna M. Jarvis of Philadelphia. It is now observed in countries all around the world, including England, France, Sweden, Denmark, India, China,and Mexico Part two Key words: Museum visit reproduction audience appearance guided tour Places to enjoy25 educational servicechildren’s departmentA1:Listen to some statements taken from a passage on the changes in today’s museums. Supply the missing information. Tapescript: 1. Museums have changed. They are no longer places for theprivileged few or for bored vacationers to visit on rainy days. 2. More and more museum directors are realizing that people learn best when they can somehow become part of what they are seeing. 3. The purpose is not only to provide fun but also to help people feel at home in the world of science. A2: Now listen to the whole passage. While listening, pay special attention to the specific museums mentioned in the passage. Complete the following chart with key words. Museums Canada The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 17th century instruments/ music NYC The Modern Museum in Sweden American museum of Put on costumes/ the Stockholm Opera Natural Bone-by-bone stegosaurus reproduction/ History, NYC Tapescript: Museums have changed. They are no longer places for the privileged few or for bored vacationers to visit on rainy days. At a science museum in Ontario, Canada, you can feel your hair stand on end as harmless electricity passes through your body. At the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, you can look at 17th century instruments while listening to their music. At the Modern Museum in Sweden, you can put on costumes provided by the Stockholm Opera. At New York's American Museum of Natural History recently, you could have helped make a bone-by-bone reproduction of the museum's stegosaurus, a beast that lived 200 million years ago. As these examples show, museums are reaching out to new audiences, particularly the young, the poor, and the less educated members of the population. As26Museum activitiesA science museum in Ontario, electricity/ pass/ body a result, attendance is increasing. Many museums have changed in appearance. Some of the old, gray museums have been rebuilt, and the newer ones are open and modern in their architecture. Inside, there is modern lighting, color, and sound. Instead of displaying everything they own, museum directors show fewer objects and leave open spaces where visitors can gather and sit down. They also bring together in one display a group of objects drawn from various parts of the museum in an effort to represent the whole lifestyle of a region or a historical period. In one room, for instance, you may find materials, clothing, tools, cooking pots, furniture, and art works of a particular place and time. More and more museum directors are realizing that people learn best when they can somehow become part of what they are seeing. In many science museums, for example, there are no guided tours. The visitor is encouraged to touch, listen, operate, and experiment so as to discover scientific principles for himself. He can have the experience of operating a spaceship or a computer. He can experiment with glass blowing and papermaking. The purpose is not only to provide fun but also to help people feel at home in the world of science. The theory is that people who do not understand science will probably fear it, and those who fear science will not use it to best advantage. Many museums now provide educational services and children's departments. In addition to the usual displays, they also offer film showings and dance programs. Instead of being places that one Dshould‖ visit, they are places to enjoy. B: Key words: Amusing confuse understand French canoe Now listen to two short stories. In each of the stories, there is one person who makes a fool of himself. Listen carefully and try to fill in the words in the charts below. Tapescript. ? Well, I had quite an amusing time in greece on one holiday because I confused the words for DGood morning,‖ which is DKalimera,‖ and D squid,‖ which is D Kalamari.‖ So for several days I was going around smiling broadly at people, saying D squid‖ to them, and I couldn’t understand why they looked at me as if I was totally crazy until someone pointed it out. ? I was in france on holiday, staying in a friend’s cottage and one day we decided to go for a trip on the river. So we went along to a place on the river where you could hire canoes. And a friend , who prided himself on being rather good at speaking27 French, went in to hire the canoes. We decided we needed three, so he asked for‖trois canneurs‖ which he thought was the French for Dthree canoes.‖ W we spent the af we came back. And Stephen went in to return the canoes and collect the deposit he’d paid on them. And as he walked in the door, they said D Ah, hello Mr. Troiscanneurs…‖ C: Key words: Trip France Brazil street vendors portrait unusual things fortune-teller eating performerC1: In this part you are going to hear two people talking about Brazil and France. While listening, pay special attention to the interesting things that they can see or do on the streets in both countries. Then complete the chart by filling in the missing information. C2: Now listen to the dialogue again and answer the following questions with key words. T F---friend C---Cathy F: Hi, Cathy! Welcome back! How was your trip to Brazil? C: Oh, I loved every minute of it! Brazil is so different from any place I’ve ever been to, and there is so much to see there. F: yeah? Well, how’s it different? C: Well, you can find all sorts of street vendors in the cities. I went to some street markets where they sold really unusual things, like special powders that attract men… or objects to cure snake bites. F: Wow! C: And in one city I went to, I got my fortune told on the street. F: Oh, yeah? C: Yeah! The fortune-tellers use shells to tell your fortune. They throw the sells on acloth, and the way they land tells about your fortune. F: Huh! I’ve never heard of that before. C: Mmm, but my favorite street activity was eating! In Bahia, you can buy these round cakes made of bean flour and filled with hot spices. They’re fired and they are delicious! [Hmm.] They’re specially there. F: Well, that sounds great. You know, I remember that when I went to France two28 years ago, I saw some pretty unusual things on the city streets, too. C; Really? Like what? F: Well, in Paris, you could watch all kinds of street performers. There were folk singers with guitars, classical musicians…[Oh, wow!] Sometimes you could even see actors performing in plays. C:That sounds like a lot of fun! F: Oh, it is. You realy see all sorts of things on the streets of Paris. In fact, you can even have your portrait painted right on the street. [Wow!] Yeah, the art students do them to practice drawing and painting. C: Did you have your portrait done there? F: Yeah, I did. In fact, I had it done twice! Part III Life here and there A: Key words: busy summer winter moutainous crowded A1: john is British but has worked in Japan. Etsuko is Japnese from Osaka but she is studyng in Britain. In the following passage you are going to hear, they are comparing life as they see it in the two countries. But before listening to it, think of the two countries and try to answer the following pre-listening questions. 1. Do you know something about the geographical and climatic conditions in Japan and Britain? 2. guess the way the two speakers may compare the life as they see in Japan and Britain. 3. Now listen to the passage and make notes about the features they mention and the comparisons they make between the two countries. Then fill in the gaps in the chart below with key words. What does John say What does Etsuko say about… 1…the Japan? 2…the Japan? 3…the summer in summer in people British about… from Monday through Saturday Horrible, humid and hot Cooler in Much busier than the Work29 England? 4…the winter in japan? In the north, much colder than England, -30℃ 5…the countryside in Much flatter than in Beautiful England? japan? Japan? Japan mountainous than britain more rocky, more 6…the countryside in More7…the mountains in Much higher and much beautiful 8…the towns, villages More crowded and cities in japan? 9…the house in Japan? 10…the buildings in Japanese cities? Tapescript: J---John E---Etsuko J: I found that living in Japan, people were busier. They seem to work the whole day. E: Yes, that’s right. We work from Monday through Saturday, even in summer. You know, summer in Japan is just horrible. It’s very, very humid and hot, and you need to take showers three times a day. J: So you find it cooler in England? E: Yes, that’s right. J: where I was living inJapan, in the north, it was much colder than England, especially in winter---minus thirty degrees centigrade. Does the winter in Osaka last longer than the winter in England? E: No, I don’t thin so. December, January, February, March… J: Yes. It’s a little bit shorter if anything. E: Ever since I came here, I noticed that the countryside here in England is really beautiful. J: It’s much flatter than in Japan.30smallerVery compact, not a lot of space A lot of taller buildings now E: Yes, Japan is a mountainous country and our cities are full of people. There are lots of people in a limited flat area… J: Yes. I found japan much more mountainous than Britain, especially in the north. The mountains are much higher and much more rocky. I found it more beautiful than britain, I think. E: Yes, if you like mountains! J: Aand so therefore the towns and villages tend to be more crowded. E: Yes, that’s right. J: Yes. So because the cities are more crowded, the houses tend to be smaller, don’t they? E: yes, they are very compact, and we don’t have a lot of space. In big cities you have a lot of taller buildings now. J: Is this a problem because there are more earthquakes in Japan? E: Yes, that’s right, and…er… B: Key words: Sign geature approval disapproval positive negative nonverbal Listen to the passage “Gestures of approval and disapproval.” While listening, act out each gesture. Make sure you know what each gesture is. Refer to the pictures if you don’t know a gesture. Aand then complete the caption below each of the pictures. The country names in the following box are for your reference. Tapescript: Did you know that… ? you can give the DV for Victory‖ sign in the U.S, but the same gesture elsewhere would be obscene? ? passing objects or gesturing with your left hand is an offense in many countries? ? you are expected to smack and suck loudly at dinner in some cultures? ? you’d better not talk with your hands in your pockets? ? pointing with your index finger is impolite in most cultures? These and many other small but important facts are contained in the nonverbal world of gestures. Let’s start with gestures of approval and disapproval. Guestures of Approval The OK sign(an DO‖ or circle formed by the fingers of one hand) means strong approval or goodness in North American culture. However, as mentioned earlier it is31 obscence or rude in many parts of Latin Aamerica, Europe, Asia, and elsewhere. To the French, the OK gesture means Dzero‖ or Dworthless,‖ not Dfine‖ or DOK‖. Many cultures, including France and a number of Latin American countries, show approval by the thumbs-up gesture. But in Bangladesh, the same sign means rejection, not approval! Two thumbs are better than one in Kenya, where this double sign means approval. The thumb and all fingertips pulled together( Dthe hand purse‖), while waving toward t}

我要回帖

更多关于 home leave 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信