Iwe will visitt my aunt this a--

> 问题详情
The other day my aunt paid me a visit. She was overjoyed. “I got the highest mark in the mid-term ex
悬赏:0&答案豆
提问人:匿名网友
发布时间:
The other day my aunt paid me a visit. She was overjoyed. “I got the highest mark in the mid-term examination!” She said. Don’t be surprised! My aunt is indeed a student, exactly, a college student at the age of 45.“Compared with the late 70s,” she says, “now college students have many doors.” I was shocked when she first told me how she had had no choice in her major. Look at us today! So many doors are open to us! I believe there have never been such abundant opportunities for self-development as we have today. And my aunt told me that we should reach our goals by grasping all these opportunities.The first door is the opportunity to study different subjects that interest us. My aunt was happy to study management, but she could also attend lectures on ancient Chinese poetry and on Shakespearean drama. As for myself, I am an English major, but I may also go to lectures on history.The second door is the door to the outside world. Learning goes beyond classrooms and national boundaries. I have many fellow international classmates, and I am applying to an exchange program with a university abroad. As for my aunt, she is planning to get an MBA degree in the U.K.The third door is the door to life-long learning. Many of my aunt’s contemporaries say she’s amazingly up-to-date for a middle-aged woman. She simply responds, “Age doesn’t matter. What matters is your attitude. I don’t think I’m too old to learn.” Yes, she is right. Since the government removed the age limit for college admissions, there are already some untraditional students, sitting with us in the same classrooms. Like them, my aunt is old but young in spirit with incredible energy and determination.The doors open to us also pose challenges. For instance, we are faced with the challenge of a balanced learning, the challenge of preserving our fine tradition while learning from the West, and the challenge of learning continuously while carrying heavy responsibilities to our work and family. So, each door is a test of our courage, ability and judgment, but with the support of my teachers, parents, friends and my aunt, I believe I can meet the challenge head on.小题1:Which of the following words can best replace the “door” in the passage?A.challengeB.knowledgeC.learningD.opportunity小题2:What made the writher’s aunt overjoyed?A.Having a chance to visit the writerB.Having lots of choices in subjectsC.Getting the highest score in her examD.Getting admission to a university小题3:Which of the following statements will the writer’s aunt agree with?A.No pains, no gains.B.Failure is the mother of success.C.One is never too old to learn.D.Rome isn’t built in a day.小题4:The following word can be used to describe the writer’s aunt EXCEPT __________.A.fashionableB.traditionalC.energeticD.determined小题5:Which chart shows the correct structure of the passage?
您可能感兴趣的试题
1If you lose your wallet, how often do you think someone will be kind enough to return it to you, with cash and credit cards?Some people may be greedy, and others are simply too lazy to bother(打搅) with the trip to the post office to send back a wallet to a stranger. But according to a psychology study by Dr. Richard Wiseman, there’s one thing that’ll greatly increase your odds of being reunited with a lost wallet: a photograph of a cute baby.In the study, hundreds of wallets were scattered(分散) around the streets of Edinburgh, Scotland. The psychologists wanted to see how many strangers would take the trouble to return them to the addresses listed on the drivers’ licenses inside—but more than that, they wanted to find out what would make a person more likely to help out a stranger.To finish this, they included personal things in most of the wallets: some included a photo of a happy elderly couple, some contained a cute puppy, some contained a family portrait, and some held a photo of a lovely baby. Others had receipts(发票) showing that the wallet’s owner had recently donated to a charity(慈善). Some contained no personal details.As the psychologists soon discovered, the sight of a smiling baby is enough to warm nearly any heart: only one in ten of the strangers whoretrievedsuch wallets did not return them. In contrast, the second most successful image, the puppy, had a 53% return rate. When the wallet included no photograph, it stood only a one in seven chance of being returned to the owner.The success of the baby photograph shows a human compassion(同情) for the young that’s been passed down through the ages, according to Dr. Wiseman. “The baby kicked off a caring feeling in people, which is not surprising from an evolutionary perspective(进化的角度),” he told theTimes.To ensure our species’ survival, scientists think that we must feel empathy and compassion for our young. Scientists say that this study supports the argument that we won’t feel compassion only for our own babies, but for any that we see—hence, the strong desire a stranger would feel to return a wallet to the baby’s parent.On a more basic level, the study also provides a great tip to help ensure that if your wallet is ever lost, you’re more likely to get it back. “If you want to increase the chances of your wallet being returned if lost, gain a photograph of the cutest baby you can find and ensure that it is clearly displayed,” said Dr. Wiseman.小题1:The main purpose of the psychologists’ leaving hundreds of wallets around was to find out________.A.whether people were as honest as beforeB.what made people willing to help strangersC.what kind of feelings could be caused by a smiling babyD.how evolution influenced human beings小题2:The underlined word “retrieved” in Para. 5 probably means “________”.A.picked upB.spread outC.found outD.looked for小题3:Why did people return a wallet with a photograph of a cute baby in it?A.Because the wallet was not attractive enough to keep.B.Because the sight of a baby could cause a caring feeling in them.C.Because they were curious to know the parents of the babyD.Because the sight of a cute baby reminded them of their own children.小题4:If there are 30 lost wallets with a photograph of a cute baby, how many of them will probably be returned?A.Only 3.B.About 15.C.20 or so.D.About 27.小题5:We can learn from the last two paragraphs that________.A.humans usually have compassion for the youngB.the caring feeling in people is gone during evolutionC.scientists believed that people only feel compassion for their own babiesD.a wallet with a cute baby’s picture in it cannot be lost2DOne of the main challenges facing many countries is how to maintain their identity in the face of globalization and the growing multi-language trend. “One of the main reasons for economic failure in many African countries is the fact that, with a few important exceptions, mother-tongue education is not practiced in any of the independent African states.” said Neville Alexander, Director of the Project for the Study of Alternative Education in South Africa at the University of Cape Town.In response to the spread of English and the increased multi-language trends arising from immigration, many countries have introduced language laws in the laws in the last decade. In some, the use of languages other than the national language is banned in public spaces such as advertising posters. One of the first such legal provisions was the 1994 “Toubon law” in France, but the idea has been copied in many countries since then. Such efforts to govern language use are often dismissed asfutileby language experts, who are well aware of the difficulty in controlling fashions in speech and know from research that language switching among bilinguals is a natural process.It is especially difficult for native speakers of English to understand the desire to maintain the “purity” of a language by law. Since the time of Shakespeare, English has continually absorbed foreign words into its own language. English is one of the most mixed and rapidly changing languages in the world, but there has not been a barrier to acquiring prestige and power. Another reason for the failure of many native English speakers to understand the role of state regulation is that it has never been the Anglo-Saxon way of doing things. English has never had a state-controlled authority for the language, similar, for example, to the Academic Francaise in France.The need to protect national languages is, for most western Europeans, a recent phenomenon—especially the need to ensure that English does not unnecessarily take over too many fields. Public communication, education and new modes of communication promoted by technology, may be key fields to defend.小题1:Neville Alexander believes that&&&&&&&&&.A.mother-tongue education is not practiced in all African countriesB.lack of mother-tongue education can lead to economic failureC.globalization has led to the rise of multi-language trendsD.globalization has resulted in the economic failure of Africa小题2:The underlined word “futile” (in paragraph 2) most probably means “&&&&&&&&“.&&&&&A.uselessB.practicalC.workableD.unnecessary小题3:Why do many English-speaking countries not support the language protection efforts described in the passage?A.They think language protection laws are ineffective.B.They want their language to spread to other countries.C.They have a long history of taking words from other languages.D.It reduces a language’s ability to acquire international importance.小题4:What can we infer from the last paragraph?A.English has taken over fields like public communication and education.B.Europeans have long realized the need to protect their national languages.C.Most language experts believe it is important to promote a national language.D.Many aspects of national culture are threatened by the spread of English.小题5:The main idea of the passage is&&&&&&.&A.Fighting against the rule of EnglishB.Globalization and multi-language trendsC.Protecting local languages and identitiesD.To maintain the purity of language by law3EWhen I was growing up, 16 was always a magical age, a symbol of maturity, responsibility and of course more independence and freedom.&I sat through the hours of Driver’s Ed classes eager to get out on the road. I couldn’t wait to get my driver’s license.But it’s a different story for today’s teens. In January, the U.S. Department Transportation released 2012 data that showed only 30.7 percent of U.S. teens got their license at age 16, Twenty years before, that number was almost 45 percent.There are numbers of reasons for the fall – off. The growing responsibilities like paying for insurance and high gas prices discourage teens from getting behind the wheel. Plus, many teens today are so busy with homework, endless hours of activities and part-time jobs, that finding the time for Driver’s Ed classes may be more difficult that ever.In addition, many states have raised the driving age, or restricted when teens can drive and who they can have in the car. Parents may also be making their own personal restrictions until they feel their teens are responsible enough to drive safely.Driving is part of the American culture, but it’s not the central focus like it was 25 years ago. They have so many other things to do now. One of the more interesting factors delaying teens driving might be the change of their social life. Today, teens need to look no further than Face book or other social networking sites to connect with their friends. There is simply less need, maybe less desire, to be able to grab the keys and go.Michelle Wei got her license as a senior in high school because her digital social life made it easy no to drive. “If I couldn’t get a ride to see my friend who lives a town over,” the 19-year-old said, “I could talk on IM or Skype.”Research has shown that these online relationships can lead to higher quality friendships, so it isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, it’s important to find a balance. If old face-to-face friendships are good, why not drive to find them?小题1:We can infer from the first paragraph that&&&&&&&&.A.Driver’s Ed classes allowed teens to know what maturity wasB.getting a driving license at 16 was a must for American teensC.16 was considered an age when one could get his driver’s licenseD.teens could drive on the road without taking Driver’s Ed classes小题2:What does the passage mainly talk about?A.Desire to drive on the road declines among American teens.B.Getting a license costs much more than ever before.C.Social networking sites are changing the life of American teens.D.American teens are becoming more responsible than ever.小题3:Michelle’s Wei’s example is used to explain ________.A.why American teens are crazy about digital social lifeB.what social networking websites are bringing to American teensC.to what degree the Internet is affecting the American car cultureD.what the Internet does to help teens to get a driving license小题4:The last paragraph is reminding the readers that&&&&&&&&.A.the Internet h as a bad effect on the teen’s social lifeB.teens should keep a balance in choosing their lifestyleC.actual contacts can be replaced by talking on lineD.face-to-face friendship is always the best choice4Millions of British people haveditchedthe traditional “thank you” and replaced it with the less formal “cheers”, according to a survey.Although the average person will say “thank you” nearly 5,000 times a year, one in three are more likely to throw in a “cheers” or “ta” where it’s needed, rather than risk sounding old fashioned.One in 20 now say “nice one” instead, while younger generations are more likely to offer a “cool” than a “thank you”. “Merci”, “fab” and even “gracias” were also listed as common phrases to use, as was “much appreciated”.One in twenty who took part in the survey of 2,000 people by the Food Network UK for Thank You Day, which is marked on November 24, 2011, said a formal “thank you” was now not often needed in everyday conversation. More than one in ten adults said they regularly wouldn’t say “thank you” if they were in a bad mood.Most people declared that saying “thank you” was something drilled into them by their parents. A huge 70 percent of those questioned will say “thank you” to a person’s face without even meaning it, while a fifth avoid saying it when they know they should — on at least two occasions every day.It seems our friends and family get the brunt (压力) of our bad manners with half admitting they’re not good at thanking those closest to them — many justifying (为……辩解) the lack of thanks because their family “already know I’m grateful”.When spoken words won’t do, it falls to a nice text to do the job for most people. A thank you email is also popular, while a quarter turn to social networks to express gratitude. A quarter of British people say thank you with food, with 23 percent cooking a meal to show their appreciation to someone. Another 15 percent bake a cake. A third will still send a handwritten thank-you note — but 45 percent admit it’s been more than six months since they bothered to send one.It follows that 85 percent of people will be annoyed at not getting the gratitude they feel they should receive.&小题1:Most of the people who took part in the survey say that they say “thank you” _____.A.when they are in good moodB.completely out of habitC.when they feel truly gratefulD.purely out of politeness小题2:The underlined word “ditched” in Paragraph 1 means “_____”.A.abandonedB.usedC.sharedD.grasped小题3:It can be learned from the passage that _____.A.different ways of expressing gratitude are all fashionableB.people should avoid saying “thank you” nowadaysC.a thank-you note is still appreciated by most peopleD.people in a bad mood never say “thank you”小题4:Which of the following is TRUE according to the passage?A.Most people express their gratitude to others by buying food for them.B.About fifty percent of people try not to say thank you when they should.C.Most people may feel natural when they fail to receive others’ gratitude.D.Many people think it unnecessary to say thanks to their family members.
我有更好的答案
请先输入下方的验证码查看最佳答案
图形验证:
验证码提交中……
找答案会员
享三项特权
找答案会员
享三项特权
找答案会员
享三项特权
选择支付方式:
支付宝付款
郑重提醒:支付后,系统自动为您完成注册
请使用微信扫码支付(元)
支付后,系统自动为您完成注册
遇到问题请联系在线客服QQ:
请您不要关闭此页面,支付完成后点击支付完成按钮
遇到问题请联系在线客服QQ:
恭喜您!升级VIP会员成功
常用邮箱:
用于找回密码
确认密码:Enable JavaScript
Uh oh! It looks like you have JavaScript turned off. While most of our site should function with out, we recommend turning it back on for a better experience.
Hide Notice
Bi vs. Semi (weekly, monthly, annually)
Using bi or semi in front of time periods can cause tremendous confusion. Looking the following words up in the dictionary will not help. Here’s what you’ll find:
Biweekly means once every two weeks or twice a week.
Bimonthly means once every two months or twice a month.
In addition, a biweekly publication is issued every two weeks and a bimonthly publication is issued every two months.
Semiweekly means twice a week.
Semimonthly means twice a month.
To avoid confusion, you may want to substitute the actual time frame for these confusing terms.
For example, say, “I visit my aunt every two weeks,” not “I visit my aunt bimonthly.” If you mean every two weeks, you may also say, “I visit my aunt semimonthly.”
Posted on Tuesday, July 29, 2008, at 1:14 am
Search the BlogPopular Blog Categories
Monthly Blog Archives
Monthly Blog Archives
Select Month
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
April 2017
March 2017