for everyone needs help's help to me that i have very gratef

Latest Drink Recipe
Man, there are few things out there more polarizing to people than creamy drinks. And it’s funny, you know, because I think it’s a pretty universal thing that our mouths just water at the sight of a creamy cocktail. Look at a properly made Ramos Gin Fizz. Or a White Russian. Or Egg Nog. How delicious do they look?
But then there’s this guilty feeling that I think kicks in for most people, where it’s like, “I can’t justify drinking something that contains a bunch of fucking cream.” And I get it, I totally do. Personally, I also try to save up those points and spend them during the holidays.
But there’s no getting around the delicious factor. So what about alternatives? I like almond milk in my coffee. I even make my own at home. But one creamy substitute that I can’t live without in my life is . See the previous post for more on that. Anyway, as someone who has been making drinks for almost half of his life at this point, I had to try making something with .
My partner in crime at Clyde Common is a gentleman named Benjamin Amberg. But we all call him (among other things), simply Banjo. Banjo and I have a great way of working on cocktails together. It’s very collaborative, and nobody gets too attached to an idea if a better one comes along. ()
And so it happened that we started working on our new
cocktail. And, of course, we broke out all of the typical formulas that we’d both seen on menus before: a aged
variations on a White Russian with horchata instead of cream. And none of them were working, and we were about to scrap the whole idea.
But then we had a thought: what if instead of a flabby, creamy drink, we did something more bright and citrusy? We certainly hadn’t seen that done before, and we know rice milk isn’t going to curdle the way cream would. And suddenly, within minutes, we’d assembled what is quickly becoming one of our most popular new drinks, the Southbound Suarez. Named after our favorite song on our least favorite Led Zeppelin album, I like to think the same stands of a reminder of just how tough this one was to create.
Southbound Suarez
oz. reposado tequila
oz. agave syrup
oz. lime juice
1 tsp. Becherovka
Combine ingredients with ice cubes and shake until cold. Strain over fresh ice in an Old Fashioned glass and garnish with a lime wedge.
Most Popular Articles
A side project, an experiment or just a simple curiosity that turned into a delicious phenomenon that we're still serving to much delight at our bar, barrel aged cocktails explore the gentle manipulation of a drink's flavors over time. This post details the inspiration, the history and the methods behind my barrel aged cocktails.
My problem with homemade tonic water has always been a flavor profile that was too esoteric for the general audience. This recipe takes some of the positive qualities people have come to understand from commercial tonic water and updated them with fresh ingredients.
Turned off by the glop you find in the grocery store, and unable to endure another long egg and cream whipping session, I set out to build an egg nog recipe from the ground up that retained the character of the orginal formula, was easy to make in a few minutes at home or at the bar, and tasted absolutely delicious.
See if you agree with the result.
One question I'm often asked is "Do you have any drink-related book recommendations?"
Well, funny you should ask, I've compiled a list of the ten books every professional bartender or home mixologist should own.
I keep every one of these close at hand and have read most of them several times.
I suggest you do the same.
The problem with living in Oregon is the absence of little wooden shacks by the sea that sell cases of fresh ginger beer stacked on back porches. But with some readily-available ingredients, a recipe I've been revising for several years - and a few free minutes - I can easily transport myself to a little fishing boat on the ocean as I sip a Dark and Stormy made with fresh, house-made ginger beer.
It's always mojito season somewhere, so this advice is timely in your area about half the year.
Wether you're making them or simply enjoying them, this advice will help you look like a pro in no time at all.
The flavors of the Richmond Gimlet are imbued with sunshine.
Fresh mint mingling with the herbaceousness of gin and the tartness of lime have made this drink a Eugene classic for many years now.
You'll get a lot of snarky advice on this site about how to make a proper drink, but if you ever need to know what not to do, this is the video for you.
Not to be confused with the Spanish wine-and-fruit-based alcoholic beverage sangria, sangrita (meaning "little blood") is a traditional accompaniment to a teq a non-alcoholic sipper that cleanses the palate between fiery doses of agave.
The world of booze can be mystifying to people that don't work in bars or around alcohol all the time. I hear a lot of assumptions about the industry I'm in that are - much like 90% of what you hear in bars - completely false. Here are a few you've probably heard yourself.
The traditional garnish for a Pisco Sour is a couple of drops of bitters in the foam, but I've never been particularly impressed with the way these few paltry drops of bitters sat in their little egg-white mattress and didn't play along with the rest of the drink. I envisioned a Pisco Sour with a uniformly-distributed bitters-scorched foam: slightly crisp as the fire burnt the sugars, and slightly warm as the foam insulated the rest of the frosty cocktail from the heat. A pisco creme brul&e in a glass!
I get so many visitors looking for tips on how to write a bartending resume that I thought I should finally post a tutorial on how to write your own.
Click the headline to read more.
I always love showing up to a party with a gallon jug of pre-mixed margaritas, so I've decided to share my recipe.
This margarita recipe is the perfect blend of strong, sweet, and sour.
But be warned: this recipe packs a serious punch.
There isn't much I can say about this video that hasn't been said already.
If you've read anything I've written about cocktails, you'll understand why this video symbolizes everything wrong with the state of bartending in America today.
Watch and learn, but be warned: this one isn't for the feint of heart.
My name is Jeff Morgenthaler and I'm the bar manager at
in Portland, Oregon.
I've been tending bar since 1996 and writing about it since 2004.
I started tending bar while getting my degree in Interior Architecture, and slowly I came to the conclusion that bartending was what I really loved, and that I might as well drop everything and focus on being a professional bartender. Over the years I have strived, both behind the bar and with this website, to elevate the experience of having a drink from something mundane to something more culinary.
The writing I do here is intended as a work in progress.
My recipes are like my opinions: they are constantly being revised and refined as I work them through my mind and my fingers.
Comments and participation are encouraged, so please don't feel the need to tread lightly here.
Thursday, April 24th, 2008
As far as I’m concerned, springtime is
As the rain pummels the ground here in the Pacific Northwest, a little window of blue sky nestled between two dark clouds in the neighboring distance makes me wish I were watching the rain fall from across a dark ocean, my little Caribbean fishing boat safe and sound under that warm patch of sunlight.
I’d fill a tall glass with ice and a generous dose of Gosling’s Black Seal rum from Bermuda, then reach into a wooden crate and withdraw a chilly little bottle of homemade ginger beer.
I’d sip the cloudy mixture of liquid sunshine and sweet, dark nectar while I mindlessly squeezed a fresh lime into the glass.
The problem with living in Oregon when this mood strikes is the absence of little wooden shacks that sell cases of fresh ginger beer stacked on back porches.
But with some readily-available ingredients, a recipe I’ve been revising for several years – and a few free minutes – I can easily transport myself to that little fishing boat on the sea.
You’re going to need a little bit of equipment to make ginger beer.
It’s nothing too tricky (save for one tool) and most of it will last you a lifetime.
So follow along, and remember: I promise you that this will be easy.
You have two options for carbonating your ginger beer: you can ferment it in the bottle, or you can carbonate on-the-fly with an .
While the soda siphon is easier to use, for the sake of authenticity you might want your ginger beer fermented in the bottle.
If you’re going to go the iSi route,
and meet me at the next step.
The rest of you, follow me.
The first thing on your list if you’re going to be brewing in the bottle is any number of 16-ounce “EZ” flip-top bottles.
You can find these , at a craft store, or at any homebrewing supply place.
Pick up a few to start.
Next, find some wine yeast.
champagne yeast.
It’s sturdy, it hasn’t failed me yet, and it’s inexpensive.
I pay about a buck for a packet that will make five gallons of this stuff.
Okay, on to making the actual ginger beer.
The only tricky piece of equipment I’m going to suggest is a juice extractor. Pick up the
if you’re just going to be making this stuff at home, or the
if you plan on making a lot of it.
Sure, you can use a grater, but you’re going to need to fine-strain your grated ginger to avoid any chunks in the final product.
For the occasional home user, a Microplaner and some cheesecloth will be fine.
But when making this by the case at work, I always turn to my juice extractor.
The money is worth it if you want to make a lot of this stuff.
Peel and juice your ginger.
I find that 1½ ounces of fresh ginger tends to work out to roughly an ounce of ginger juice.
This base recipe will make one 16-ounce bottle of ginger beer, so multiply the proportions by the number of bottles you will be using.
If you’re going the siphon route, note that the canister will hold 32 ounces of ginger beer.
So double the batch, duh.
1 ounce ginger juice
2 ounces fresh lemon juice, finely strained
10 ounces warm water (cold if using the soda siphon)
Mix ingredients together.
If using a soda siphon, pour ingredients into canister, screw on lid, charge with CO2, shake once, and refrigerate.
You’re done.
If you’re using bottles, fill each bottle with 16 ounces of your mixture and add roughly 25 granules of champagne yeast.
Seal the cap securely, shake well, and store for 48 hours – no more, no less – in a warm, dark place.
After 48 hours have passed, refrigerate immediately to halt the process.
After your bottled ginger beer is well chilled, , sit back, and imagine you’re drifting along with me on that creaky little boat.
UPDATE: An easier and more consistent method for carbonating your ginger beer .
Cheers, friends.
Have a beautiful weekend.
Leave a Reply
Latest Product Review
Build a Better ($5.63) Muddler
I was having this conversation with a writer about my new book on cocktail technique last week, and she got on the subject of bar tools. “A lot of this stuff is really expensive,” she said, “Do you have any advice for home cocktail enthusiasts who don’t want to spend a ton of money?”
And I [...]
The Sections
Syndication
By using , you may subscribe to this site in your favorite newsreader software.
Alternatively, you can subscribe to my email edition below and have new articles sent to you as they're published.
Bartenders114网址导航Real Science and Health News: From a Truth Vigilante – Starts With A Bang
“If people decide they’re going to deny the facts of history and the facts of science and technology, there’s not much you can do with them. For most of them, I just feel sorry that we failed in their education.” –Harrison Schmitt
Last year, I asked a simple question with no easy answer:
Because unless you yourself are the expert in a given field, it’s often very, very difficult to tell what’s trustworthy from what’s not.
Images credit: Dr. Roy Spencer (top) and American Meteorological Society (bottom).
This is especially true when you’re presented with biased facts or premises as your starting point. In an ideal world, every source you went to for your news would agree on the same fundamental facts, and you’d have a wide variety of logical, reasonable interpretations of those facts. No one no one would present counte no one would cherry-pick the data to support a preconceived or scientifically invalidated conclusion. Every news source you heard from would be qualified to give an opinion, and that opinion would be an informed one, biased only by their experience, and not by any political or economic agenda.
This is, no doubt, a dream world, as you are probably much more familiar with what actually goes on.
Image credit: Philadelphia Inquirer / Universal Press Syndicate.
You might hope that your favorite mainstream news sources wouldn’t fall for this type of false equivalence. Surely they — under the guise of presenting fair, balanced, objective news — wouldn’t fail to fact-check even the most basic of claims, to ensure they’re printing the truth? The most reputable ones — the Wall Street Journal, the BBC, the New York Times — surely
surely that’s , right?
Hopefully you caught it, last month, when the public editor of the New York Times asked whether
and correct untrue facts in their reporting. The
was, thankfully,
yes, you moron, The Times should check facts and print the truth.
The fact that the Times was even asking this question should make you . Cenk Uygur of
hit it spot-on for me.
Throughout my time writing this blog, I’ve always done my best to present to you the best, most factually accurate information I can possibly find, and to present it through the lens of my experience as a theoretical astrophysicist to tell you — to the best of my abilities — what it most likely indicates. Sometimes , such as when others
of the facts. When that happens, I welcome an interesting, if often inconclusive, dialogue. But when
to do so, that is not okay, and that opinion does not deserve equal voice, equal time, or any other sort of false balance. As Felix Frankfurther said (and I am fond of quoting),
It is a wise man who said that there is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals.
And, particularly in science, one can distinguish whether an idea is valid, plausible-but-unproven, or unequivocally wrong. For instance, before
came along, there were other ideas for the mechanism of evolution, such as , where organisms can pick up traits during their lifetime and pass them on to their offspring.
Image credit: Lamarck's Giraffe, retrieved from University of Miami.
Given a modern understanding of genetics and DNA, of course, this is not true, and Lamarckism is not an equal idea to natural selection. When you get your news about evolution, an invalid idea such as this should not pollute your news.
So with all of this in mind, where should you go to get your science and health news? Up until now, the options were either:
Go to an aggregator (like google news), and trust yourself to decide what’s trustworthy and what isn’t,
Go to a “trusted news source” like the Times, the Journal, etc., and trust their editors and reporters to report the truth, or
Create your own bookmarks/RSS feed of sources that you trust, and go out and manually gather that information yourself.
None of which are very satisfying. The aggregator option is great for a diversity of sources and opinions, but is noisy, filled with unreliable sources, and very often contains information that is directly or subversively counterfactual. The “trusted news source” option is, sadly, not only untrustworthy, but very often only superficial in its coverage of the events and findings you’re interested in. They may be fine for learning about some surface aspects of the news, but you’ll never get the in-depth coverage you’d truly hope for. And that last one — your own hand-collected assortment of blogs and feeds — while likely to be the most accurate (assuming you’ve gathered sources that really are good), is likely very limited in terms of the scope of the news it can cover.
But all of that is about to change. I told you
that I had taken a new job, where my goal was to create this news source — for quality science and health news — that didn’t yet exist. Where you or anybody could come to get a wide interpretation of perspectives, some of which are cursory, others which are more in-depth, but all of which are controlled for quality and veracity, on a huge variety of science and health issues of the day. Where political or ideological biases are minimized and sources of spam have been filtered out. Where demagoguery is not allowed. And where advertising dollars or artificially inflated
don’t dictate what you see. Today, I am pleased to unveil to you what I’ve been working to create:
Say hello to , an artificial-intelligence engine designed with the express purpose of discovering quality-checked content on any topic of interest you provide it with. In particular,
sections, doing my absolute best to bring diverse, high-quality content that doesn’t compromise on medical or scientific facts.
What that’s means is I’ve been training the software to learn what it means to be a topical article, quality site, and a reliable source for a whole variety of topics, from
to . Each of these boxes, shown above, is a “trap” of relevant articles from around the web, with the most recent news items displayed first. Trap!t is a real-time, artificial-intelligence-powered news aggregator that continuously pulls content from all the
around the web it can find, filtering through them to bring you only the articles you’ve trained it to bring you. You can make your own user-created traps on any topic you like, training it by liking and disliking the first round of search results, or you can go into the
sections, where I (and the rest of the curation team) have been working to optimize the content you’ll see on a wide variety of relevant, newsworthy topics. (My work can be seen in every one of the
for Science and Health, but any user can create and train their own user traps, which
if you like.)
And, of course, I’m committed to being a truth vigilante about each and every one of the Science and Health traps, and I’ve even written
explaining what that means. (Seriously, .)
At this point, I’ve created and trained more than 30 traps each for science and health. The ones that are currently active and visible from the featured traps page are as follows:
But I’m not satisfied with the content I’ve created so far, no matter how useful (and unique) it is at the moment. I’m committed to creating a high-quality science and health news outlet here, and I need your help to do it. Here’s what you can do.
Go to the featured traps — either , , or both — and poke around inside. If you’re an expert on one of these topics, that’s particularly useful. Because here are the things I need to know:
Are there articles you’re seeing that aren’t relevant to the topic at hand?
Are there sources that you know are too disreputable or highly politicized when it comes to the issue at hand to be considered reliable?
Are there glaring omissions, of stories, blogs, or online articles that should have been included in this trap, but somehow weren’t?
At this stage, Trap!t is still in beta, but we need all the useful feedback we can get. Find a bug? Tell me. Are we desperately in need of a feature we don’t have? Suggest it. Is there something that particularly either works or doesn’t work for you? Let me hear it. And finally, are there topics, stories, or entire categories that absolutely need to be included that are presently omitted? Let me know. Feedback from informed, intelligent, quality readers like you will help make this the news service that the world so badly needs.
In fact, I want you to let me know what you think, what’s working, what’s misfiring, and what you’d like to see so bad, that either by commenting here or by emailing me at “trapit DOT science AT gmail DOT com”, I’ll be giving away free stuff for your feedback! Everyone who comments or emails gets entered in a raffle to get a free trap!t T-shirt (winners TBA), and the most useful/constructive comments will get a free trap!t sweatshirt, which will instantly* transform you into a bad ass.
(* — transformation may not actually happen.)
So, this is what I’m working on. Science news, health news, and the truth. The world needs it, and — along with the rest of the company here at
— I’m working to make it happen. Help me out, let me know what you think, both about the idea and the implementation, and let’s make this great for ourselves and for the world!
Update: If you would like to report a bug either in general or a problem/suggestion with one of the featured traps, please tell me what the bug is, what trap this came from/happened in, and, if it’s from a particular article within a trap, share the url with me like so:
That will give me the best information you can provide to help with addressing the issue and making it better. Thanks for all your feedback so far!
February 7, 2012
I’m very interested in this trapit system.
Have you tried tricking it into publishing a bad article? For instance, if the software is trained to see “starts with a bang” as a reliable source for, ..that sciency stuff.., then publish your own bad article, referencing bad links and sources. To see if a bad article by a usually reliable author still gets through. This would be great for watching publishers like the Times, who can be reliable often, but not always.
Just a thought. Congrats on the new project.
Post a comment
Current ye@r *
Leave this field empty
Subscribe via:
Recent Posts
“Old age is like a plane flying through a storm. Once you’re aboard, there’s nothing you&
“And argon, krypton, neon, radon, xenon, zinc and rhodium,
And chlorine, cobalt, carbon, copper, tungsten, tin and&
“Reality is what kicks back when you kick it. This is just what physicists do with&
“For something to collapse, not all systems have to shut down. In most cases, just one&
“All the atoms of our bodies will be blown into space in the disintegration of the&
“Failure I can live with. Not trying is what I can’t handle!” -Sanya Richards-Ross
It’s been a&
“We now have the best picture of how galaxies like our own formed their stars.” -Casey&
“A lot of legends, a lot of people, have come before me. But this is my&
“Honestly, if you’re given the choice between Armageddon or tea, you don’t say ‘what kind of&
“For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,&
Subscribe via:
February 2012
Categories}

我要回帖

更多关于 gratefully 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信