I never account for it to anybody herewhen I feel blu

(备战的佐佐)
(我的名字叫闪电)
(云卷云舒)
(奔跑的丑小鸭)
第三方登录:I hated my brother. When he died, all I felt was happiness: It's a rarely admitted truth but some siblings loathe each other. Here one woman, with brutal candour makes a confession | Daily Mail Online
I hated my brother. When he died, all I felt was happiness: It's a rarely admitted truth but some siblings loathe each other. Here one woman, with brutal candour makes a confession
01:44 BST, 31 July 2012
01:53 BST, 31 July 2012
Troubled relationship: Liz Hodgkinson, pictured, found most contact with her brother would leave her enragedThe news came as a shock, yes, but it didn’t provoke tears, or even any sense of grief. I’d just heard from my niece that my brother Richard had died of a heart attack, aged 62, following an apparently minor operation. And all I felt was a surge of happiness and relief. That day, five years ago, a long, dark shadow that had blighted my existence was lifted. You see, I hated my brother and he hated me to the point of pathology. So much so that we hadn’t even seen or spoken to each other for 20 years. I imagine this sentiment will jar with many because it goes against everything we are
supposed to feel for our siblings. After all, it is meant to be the strongest and longest bond we will experience in life.To admit such animosity is to break
one of our strongest social taboos — but the feeling is far from rare,
with psychologists estimating that in as many as a third of all families
there is bitter hatred and rivalry between siblings. Writer Margaret Drabble’s long estrangement from her novelist sister, Booker Prize-winner A.S
Byatt, is a case in point. Their feud, which started at birth, is, according to Drabble, completely unresolvable, and has provoked much interest.Ever since Cain slew Abel, stories and myths abound of siblings turning against each other. But
what does it actually feel like to hate a sibling? Well, it’s something
that is always there, lying dissonant and dormant in the background.
You dread the slightest contact, whether by letter, email or phone call.
In my case, before my
brother stopped speaking to me altogether, he would preface any
communication by saying: ‘You’re supposed to be so clever.’ Harmless at first glance, perhaps, but words designed to fill me with rage. And they achieved their goal, unerringly.
When there is hatred at this level,
you can’t even pretend that person doesn’t exist, as it burns a deep and
lasting hole in your psyche.
RELATED ARTICLES
Share this article
animosity between my brother and me stems from childhood. Apparently my
mother had only wanted one child, so when she became pregnant with my
brother while she was still breastfeeding me, she was distraught.
He was born 18 months after me,
following a very difficult birth which nearly killed our mother. Right
from the start, I was the firm favourite of both parents and the
question: ‘Why can’t you be more like your sister?’ was often asked.
favouritism, I believe, is the crux of it. American psychologist Jeanne
Safer’s latest book, Cain’s Legacy, explores this very phenomenon. Writing
from her own experience of being estranged from her brother since
birth, she believes it is favouritism that causes such bitter sibling
rivalry. ‘When this happens, it sets you up for a lifetime of strife,’
‘The bond can never quite be severed,
yet the bitter hatred gets ever worse. Because it happens before you can
speak, it goes far deeper than anybody ever realises and can never be
Bitter rivalry: Liz and Richard in 1954, when their rift had already begun
Safer says that she took being the
favoured child totally as her due, as I did myself, and she imagines all
favoured siblings do the same. Like me, Safer was bright and academic and her brother was, like mine, a ne’er-do-well dullard. While I glided through school, collecting good grades and accolades, Richard got into fights, was rude to the teachers, destructive and impossible to control at home. From his earliest years, Richard nursed
an implacable hatred of me, his only sister. This took the form, often,
of tearing up my drawings and smashing my toys
From his earliest years, Richard nursed an implacable hatred of me, his only sister. This took the form, often, of tearing up my drawings and smashing my toys. One particular incident sticks in my mind.
From the age of eight, I took piano lessons,
but for some reason Richard would never
let me practise. He would shout and scream, bang the piano keys or his drums or tip me off the stool. He shouted me down until the adults in the house gave in to him and begged me to
stop singing or practising the piano ‘for the sake of peace’. Hardly surprisingly, the music lessons were soon given up and from that day to this, I have never attempted to sing. By such means, he often got his own way. He would also sabotage my homework by playing loud music when I was trying to revise. This kind of behaviour made me
somewhat afraid of him and always nervous of
provoking a fight, a
shouting match or actual damage of furniture or household goods. His
behaviour became ever more extreme until I did everything I could to
keep out of his way, vowing to leave home at 18 and never go back. While
I was at university, Richard — who had left school at 15 with no
qualifications — was given a rather cushy job at Mum’s flower shop in St
Neots, the small East Anglian town where we lived. It’s
hard and perhaps unfair to blame parents for everything that happens to
children, but for all her good points, my mother never was even-handed
in her treatment of me and Richard. She
would save me little treats that he was denied and while I was allowed
packed lunches at school, he was made to eat school dinners. Then something odd happened. After our father died of alcoholism aged around 60, our mother changed allegiance.After
a lifetime of preferring me, Richard became the favourite, indulged in
adulthood in a way that he never was when he was a child.
Writer Margaret Drabble, left, became estranged from her novelist sister, Booker Prize-winner A.S
Byatt, right
I watched as Richard did no work at the shop — indeed, he boasted of getting this free ride — and often did not turn up at all. He fiddled the books, took money out of the till and endless time off, knowing he would never get the sack. As the years passed, the gulf between us widened. He went on to marry twice, having two children. He also went on to become partner of our mother’s business and it was soon after this that his campaign to turn her against me began. He accused me of never visiting her and then trying to interfere in her affairs. Once, when I went to see her and Richard was there, he banged on a coffee table and announced: ‘I’m having this when Mum goes. No argument.’ My mother had, some years previously, given me some medals and gold sovereigns which had belonged to my grandparents. She rang me one day saying that Richard wanted them, so could I bring them back? I reminded her that she had given them to me and she said she would never hear the last of it if I didn’t give them back. To tell the truth, I had forgotten about them, but Richard had nursed a sense of injustice about them for years. When I returned them, Richard was there, in her house, as he often was. He took the mementos without saying a word and never spoke to me again.Even if he did happen to be in the house on my increasingly rare visits, he wouldn’t utter a word to me. Instead, he would look daggers and address me in the third person, saying things like: ‘You’ve always preferred her.’ The atmosphere got so bad that, eventually, our mother would ring me when Richard was going to be away, so that I could visit. As she grew older and frailer, she became pathetically dependent on Richard. He gained power of attorney, after which he started emptying her bank accounts.
Human characteristic: Ever since Cain slew Abel, stories and myths abound of siblings turning against each other
He even bullied her into changing her will to exclude me and my two sons, Tom and Will. I only discovered this when, one day, my ex-husband Neville happened to call in on my mother, and she said to him: ‘Richard’s got all my money.’Of course, he related this to me and I started to investigate. Whatever could it mean? I learned from our mother that a solicitor had called round to the house with the papers for power of attorney and she, not really understanding what she was doing, signed them. I felt the need to instruct my own lawyers because I did not trust myself to write a rational letter to him. I rang my mother to ask what it was all about and her last words ever to me were: ‘I want Richard to have everything. I don’t want
any more to do with you. Richard
is seeing to everything, thanks
very much.’I knew Richard was lurking in the room, feeding her lines. Not long after this, she went into a nursing home, too frail to look after herself. Meanwhile, Richard sold her four-bedroom detached house and pocketed all the money, without informing or consulting me. As her attorney, he could legally do this. Mum died in 2003. I had a phone call from Richard informing me brusquely of the fact and breaking a decades-long silence by saying: ‘I don’t expect you will want to come to the funeral.’ ‘I will make that decision, thanks,’ I spat, slamming the phone down. The truth was the breakdown in communication was such that I didn’t even know which nursing home Mum had been in. Come to think of it, I still don’t. In the end, knowing how unwelcome Richard would make me feel, I decided not to go to the funeral. It was another four years before I received news of Richard’s death. Perhaps you will now understand why I reacted with such joy.When I think of people I know who have close relationships with their brothers or sisters, it does sadden me that we could never patch up our differences. One of my best friends, for instance, hated her sister, or said she did, when they were children.
But now, as old ladies, they are the best of friends. Yes, it is still hard to admit that I hated my brother. But I hope it will help me learn to forget, if not wholly to forgive.
For years, I had kept my shameful secret to myself. All I would say to others about Richard was: ‘We don’t get on’ and leave it at that. But after his death, I could finally acknowledge the extent of the mutual hatred. Of course, it drew gasps of surprise from family and friends, but I am satisfied there is nothing I could have done about it. Even if I had been a nicer and kinder person, he would have reacted in the same way. Now, years later, this is the first time I have committed these thoughts to paper. Yes, it is still hard to admit that I hated my brother. But I hope it will help me learn to forget, if not wholly to forgive.
Share or comment on this article
MOST READ NEWS
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.
More top stories
DON'T MISS
MORE DON'T MISSI never felt the way I felt with you before I felt like I was flying in the sky like million hearts kissed me and thousand of teddy bears were hugging my body....we only talked for two hours on the phone but really felt like so much less time flied so fast and my heart beat went even faster it is probably one of my favorite days I only now met you but yet you taught me so much so much about love which I didn't know and after you told me about it you made me feel it too I could feel my heart slipping into pieces when you said I don't forgive you suddenly every thing got black around me,I was in a dark whole stuck in there and couldn't get out I know I hurt you freaking bad so I got crazy I took my arm and bite it with my teeth until I could feel the pain I could feel so much pain inside and out it was crazy but still it wasn't enough I took the tweezers and cut my arm did it slowly so it would be more painful I know I didn't give you physical pain but that's the only kind of pain I could give to myself...I'm sorry for harming myself but I'm sorry for making you hurt as hell but it wasn't the end I started punching and punching my arm still not the end I slapped myself so hard that my arm was read I felt like it was bleeding but the truth was that my heart was freaking after all that I get a text that says you told me not to like you I didn't know what to say cause you were right that's what I sayd again and again but I'm sorry I Said it twice the times but you ignored my apologize and left me cry for you my whole life..
What do you think bout this?
▼Share post on...
Share post on...
Featured on the home page on Aug 1st 2015
Really good
It's alright
That's not good at all
Favourited
I never felt the way I felt with you before I felt like I was flying in the sky like million hearts kissed me and thousand of teddy bears were hugging my body....we only talked for two hours on the phone but really felt like so much less time flied so fast and my heart beat went even faster it is probably one of my favorite days I only now met you but yet you taught me so much so much about love which I didn't know and after you told me about it you made me feel it too I could feel my heart slipping into pieces when you said I don't forgive you suddenly every thing got black around me,I was in a dark whole stuck in there and couldn't get out I know I hurt you freaking bad so I got crazy I took my arm and bite it with my teeth until I could feel the pain I could feel so much pain inside and out it was crazy but still it wasn't enough I took the tweezers and cut my arm did it slowly so it would be more painful I know I didn't give you physical pain but that's the only kind of pain I could give to myself...I'm sorry for harming myself but I'm sorry for making you hurt as hell but it wasn't the end I started punching and punching my arm still not the end I slapped myself so hard that my arm was read I felt like it was bleeding but the truth was that my heart was freaking after all that I get a text that says you told me not to like you I didn't know what to say cause you were right that's what I sayd again and again but I'm sorry I Said it twice the times but you ignored my apologize and left me cry for you my whole life..
What do you think bout this?
to make a comment.
99%98%13%94%98%
100%100%88%100%88%
100%100%86%86%100%
60%100%83%
Amirite is the premier opinion-based social network where people from all around the world discover, debate and discuss today's hottest issues. Share your perspective to the world and interact with like-minded individuals on breaking news, hot topics and controversial issues now!
With that many angles, the discussions on Amirite will open your eyes to a panoramic view of your world that you won't get anywhere else, allowing you to see the big picture and discuss it.
Every opinion matters on Amirite.
It only takes a second.Connect with Facebook, Twitter or Google.
or create an account with your email...
Login to your Amirite account...
Enter your email address and we'll email you your account details.
Login using...
Remember me
I've remembered!
Show posts as
By creating an account you indicate that you have read and agree to abide by our .
Create My Account& Unite知识点 & “This summer I will l...”习题详情
180位同学学习过此题,做题成功率81.6%
This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally considered to be a careful and polite boy now. However, five years ago, I was a little bit bossy(专横的). I often fought with other boys and sometimes I even fought with my elder sister. When I saw Superman on TV for the first time, I dreamed of being a superman one day. One P.E. class, I called up all of my friends to get together in our classroom. “Can anybody jump out of the window?” I asked them. After hearing this, all my friends kept silent. “I know you are all chickens,” I said. “Can you?” one of my friends asked me. “Sure!” I answered. “If I do it, I will get all the toys that you have. If I fail, you will get all of my toys, OK?” They said, “OK!” Then I went up to the window of the second floor. I took a deep breath and then jumped down, stretching out my arms just like Superman. Then I hit the ground. When I opened my eyes, I found myself lying in the hospital. I was taken to the hospital because my arms were badly hurt. Later, I heard that my P.E. teacher nearly lost his job for this, but I never received the serious punishment I feared.【小题1】The story happened when the writer was in &&&& .A.universityB.elementary schoolC.junior high schoolD.senior high school【小题2】What did the writer mean by “I know you are all chickens”?A.The writer knew that his friends liked eating chicken.B.The writer knew that his friends kept chickens at home.C.The writer thought that his friends were afraid to do that.D.The writer thought that his friends looked like chickens.【小题3】What was the result of the accident?A.The writer’s P.E. teacher was punished.B.The writer left school because of it.C.The writer hurt his legs during it.D.The writer was punished by his teacher for what he had done【小题4】Which of the following is TURE according to the passage?A.There was only one child in the writer’s family.B.The writer used to behave very well.C.The writer was afraid to jump out of the window.D.Superman is one of the writer’s favorite characters.【小题5】What is the best title for this passage?A.An Easy FlightB.A “Brave” SupermanC.A Serious PunishmentD.My ClassmatesB&
本题难度:一般
题型:解答题&|&来源:2014-湖北省鄂州市八年级下学期期中考试英语试卷
分析与解答
习题“This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally conside...”的分析与解答如下所示:
本文讲述了作者在五年前发生的一个故事:像超人一样从二楼窗子飞了下来。结果体育老师差点因为这件事丢了工作。【小题1】推理判断题。根据短文第一段This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. However, five years ago, I was a little bit bossy(专横的).描述,可知作者五年前有点专横,才会发生这个故事,现在是初中即将毕业,五年前应是小学阶段,故选B。【小题2】推理判断题。根据短文第二段描述,可知作者问小伙伴们敢不敢从二楼窗子跳下去,没有人说话,所以作者认为他们是胆小鬼,故选C。【小题3】细节理解题。根据短文第四段Later, I heard that my P.E. teacher nearly lost his job for this,描述,可知这个事件的结局是作者的体育老师受到了惩罚,故选A。【小题4】细节理解题。根据短文第一段When I saw Superman on TV for the first time, I dreamed of being a superman one day.描述,可知超人是作者最喜爱的人物形象,故选D。【小题5】标题归纳题。根据短文描述,可知这次事件的发生跟他喜欢超人有关,所以最好的题目应是:一个“勇敢的”超人,故选B。
找到答案了,赞一个
如发现试题中存在任何错误,请及时纠错告诉我们,谢谢你的支持!
This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally co...
错误类型:
习题内容残缺不全
习题有文字标点错误
习题内容结构混乱
习题对应知识点不正确
分析解答残缺不全
分析解答有文字标点错误
分析解答结构混乱
习题类型错误
错误详情:
我的名号(最多30个字):
看完解答,记得给个难度评级哦!
经过分析,习题“This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally conside...”主要考察你对“Unite”“Unit”“Topic”
等考点的理解。
因为篇幅有限,只列出部分考点,详细请访问。
与“This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally conside...”相似的题目:
— &&&& I borrow these books? — Sorry, only the books over there can be borrowed.MustWouldMayNeed
—I have seen the film Where Are We Going, Dad?.—&&&&. I think it’s wonderful.Neither have ISo have INeither have ISo I have
Although he failed this time, he didn’t give up and ______studying hard.stoppedcontinuedsucceededfinished
“This summer I will l...”的最新评论
该知识点好题
该知识点易错题
欢迎来到乐乐题库,查看习题“This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally considered to be a careful and polite boy now. However, five years ago, I was a little bit bossy(专横的). I often fought with other boys and sometimes I even fought with my elder sister. When I saw Superman on TV for the first time, I dreamed of being a superman one day. One P.E. class, I called up all of my friends to get together in our classroom. “Can anybody jump out of the window?” I asked them. After hearing this, all my friends kept silent. “I know you are all chickens,” I said. “Can you?” one of my friends asked me. “Sure!” I answered. “If I do it, I will get all the toys that you have. If I fail, you will get all of my toys, OK?” They said, “OK!” Then I went up to the window of the second floor. I took a deep breath and then jumped down, stretching out my arms just like Superman. Then I hit the ground. When I opened my eyes, I found myself lying in the hospital. I was taken to the hospital because my arms were badly hurt. Later, I heard that my P.E. teacher nearly lost his job for this, but I never received the serious punishment I feared.【小题1】The story happened when the writer was in ____ .A.universityB.elementary schoolC.junior high schoolD.senior high school【小题2】What did the writer mean by “I know you are all chickens”?A.The writer knew that his friends liked eating chicken.B.The writer knew that his friends kept chickens at home.C.The writer thought that his friends were afraid to do that.D.The writer thought that his friends looked like chickens.【小题3】What was the result of the accident?A.The writer’s P.E. teacher was punished.B.The writer left school because of it.C.The writer hurt his legs during it.D.The writer was punished by his teacher for what he had done【小题4】Which of the following is TURE according to the passage?A.There was only one child in the writer’s family.B.The writer used to behave very well.C.The writer was afraid to jump out of the window.D.Superman is one of the writer’s favorite characters.【小题5】What is the best title for this passage?A.An Easy FlightB.A “Brave” SupermanC.A Serious PunishmentD.My Classmates”的答案、考点梳理,并查找与习题“This summer I will leave the junior high school where I have been for three years. I am generally considered to be a careful and polite boy now. However, five years ago, I was a little bit bossy(专横的). I often fought with other boys and sometimes I even fought with my elder sister. When I saw Superman on TV for the first time, I dreamed of being a superman one day. One P.E. class, I called up all of my friends to get together in our classroom. “Can anybody jump out of the window?” I asked them. After hearing this, all my friends kept silent. “I know you are all chickens,” I said. “Can you?” one of my friends asked me. “Sure!” I answered. “If I do it, I will get all the toys that you have. If I fail, you will get all of my toys, OK?” They said, “OK!” Then I went up to the window of the second floor. I took a deep breath and then jumped down, stretching out my arms just like Superman. Then I hit the ground. When I opened my eyes, I found myself lying in the hospital. I was taken to the hospital because my arms were badly hurt. Later, I heard that my P.E. teacher nearly lost his job for this, but I never received the serious punishment I feared.【小题1】The story happened when the writer was in ____ .A.universityB.elementary schoolC.junior high schoolD.senior high school【小题2】What did the writer mean by “I know you are all chickens”?A.The writer knew that his friends liked eating chicken.B.The writer knew that his friends kept chickens at home.C.The writer thought that his friends were afraid to do that.D.The writer thought that his friends looked like chickens.【小题3】What was the result of the accident?A.The writer’s P.E. teacher was punished.B.The writer left school because of it.C.The writer hurt his legs during it.D.The writer was punished by his teacher for what he had done【小题4】Which of the following is TURE according to the passage?A.There was only one child in the writer’s family.B.The writer used to behave very well.C.The writer was afraid to jump out of the window.D.Superman is one of the writer’s favorite characters.【小题5】What is the best title for this passage?A.An Easy FlightB.A “Brave” SupermanC.A Serious PunishmentD.My Classmates”相似的习题。}

我要回帖

更多关于 is anybody here 的文章

更多推荐

版权声明:文章内容来源于网络,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请点击这里与我们联系,我们将及时删除。

点击添加站长微信